[Octopath Traveler]: out now on steam

1525354555658»

• urahonkyurahonky Dayton, OHRegistered User regular
    kime wrote: »
    urahonky wrote: »
    I put almost 60 hours into the game because I really enjoyed the gameplay. But I really disliked the story, and never grew to like the characters. Each of the chapters seem more like story synopses rather than an actual story. When they openly aped my favorite FInal Fantasy scene accompanied with the kind of hackneyed writing that Rise of the Skywalker might be embarrassed by, I called it quits and haven’t looked back. If you don’t dig the opening chapters then you probably won’t like the later ones any better.

The soundtrack is dope though.

"disliked the story" is kind of weird because there are 8 separate stories in the game. Some way stronger than others. You literally didn't like a single one of them? There's something there for everyone IMO.

imo, a strong RPG has both a good central story and strong character stories (and side plots, etc). Lots of RPGs do this.

Octopath just does the character stories. It does them well, but it means that the "game's" story is basically entirely lacking.

Gotcha. I absolutely preferred the bite sized stories for myself. I suppose that means the "game's" story is nonexistant but I guess it didn't really matter to me because I understood that each story was about that character and that character alone.

• kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    Yeah, I'm glad a lot of people were able to enjoy and appreciate that enough, even if it wasn't really my cup of tea. It's a charming game, so I want it to be successful :)

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
    Smrtnik
  • EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    It’s interestinng. Many RPGs start out with the party being random strangers whose paths just so happen to converge because they’re going to the same places, and they ultimately turn into a permanent team due to some larger threat or goal that goes beyond their original ambitions. Octopath is basically just that first part, without a larger threat making them a permanent party. It’s not terrible, but it definitely feels like an act 1, you know?

YggiDee wrote: »
    Having teenaged RPG leads is really cool until you stop being a teenager yourself. Do you remember being seventeen? You're a dumbass at seventeen! I wanna be saved by the guy who's twenty-seven. He's at least payed taxes. He knows how to do shit. He can drive.
    kimeSmrtnik
  • milk ducksmilk ducks Registered User regular
    Octopath does have a grand, overarching narrative, to be fair; you just don't start to actually see it come together until the post-game. Which is certainly a decision that was made.

• urahonkyurahonky Dayton, OHRegistered User regular
    milk ducks wrote: »
    Octopath does have a grand, overarching narrative, to be fair; you just don't start to actually see it come together until the post-game. Which is certainly a decision that was made.

Yeah I never saw it myself. I loved the game a whole lot but after I finished the story for everyone I was pretty ready to move on.

• kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    milk ducks wrote: »

Yeah secret, optional, post-game content doesn't really count for this imo.

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
    milk ducksurahonkyMNC DoverVyolynceSmrtnik
  • milk ducksmilk ducks Registered User regular
    I agree, just playing Devil's Advocate.

kime
  • McMoogleMcMoogle Registered User regular
    edited September 16
    And thus we've cycled back to a Kit Kat analogy.

McMoogle on
    steam_sig.png
    MNC Dovermilk ducks
  • LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    Man, y'all have got to stop posting in this thread. I'm guilty too.

But literally every time I see this thread jump to the top of the forum, my heart leaps, hoping that there's news of Octopath 2.

urahonkymilk duckskimedavidsdurions
  • EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    Octopath 2 will likely happen after Bravely Default II.

YggiDee wrote: »
    Having teenaged RPG leads is really cool until you stop being a teenager yourself. Do you remember being seventeen? You're a dumbass at seventeen! I wanna be saved by the guy who's twenty-seven. He's at least payed taxes. He knows how to do shit. He can drive.
    MNC DoverTalithitalianranmaVyolynce
  • silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    Enlong wrote: »

They kind of went radio silent on BDII. Supposed to be coming out by years end.

V wrote:
    Words will always retain their power. Words offer the means to meaning, and for those who will listen, the enunciation of truth.

• VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    Enlong wrote: »

They kind of went radio silent on BDII. Supposed to be coming out by years end.

Anything that comes out as scheduled this year was all but finished by March.

nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif
    (Former) Gaming Unplugged columnist and video game reviewer at Snackbar Games
    AC:NH Chris from Glosta SW-5173-3598-2899 DA-4749-1014-4697