As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Octopath Traveler and Triangle Strategy]: the octagon is triangled

• kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    MNC Dover wrote: »
    I mean, I know we want the stories to intersect each other, but if you're talking about a huge world of people it's rather unlikely that most people will meet each other. That sort of thing really only happens in cliche "fated destiny" types of stories. Kind of refreshing to have a bunch of separate stories to be honest.

But they do meet up. You get all 8 of 'em, and for them to not really interact that much is kind of a bummer.

I'm still looking forward to this, but having no central thread is definitely reducing my interest a bit.

Yeah, a bit weird to complain about them all meeting up when they do meet up :P.

But yeah, I'm glad we have confirmation the stories don't really intersect. I'm good with independent stories, I'm good with a merging main story, but I did not want a bad attempt at both, which was my concern for a bit there. So, yay! Hype!

I haven't even played the demo yet, I'll be going in blind-ish whenever I get this.

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • SpawnbrokerSpawnbroker Registered User regular
    Dibby wrote: »
    y'all am i the only one who still goes out to an actual physical game store and buys the thing on release day

(it helps that my gamestop is less than 5 mins away)

you kids and your newfangled amazons

I last walked into a gamestop a few years ago when I got shit for not preordering something that they had plenty of copies of in the store. They made sure to try to get me to preorder a few new games on my way out while also giving me side-eye for not signing up for their marketing emails.

Steam: Spawnbroker
  • DibbyDibby I'll do my best! Registered User regular
    edited July 2018
    y'all am i the only one who still goes out to an actual physical game store and buys the thing on release day

I last walked into a gamestop a few years ago when I got shit for not preordering something that they had plenty of copies of in the store. They made sure to try to get me to preorder a few new games on my way out while also giving me side-eye for not signing up for their marketing emails.

i mean yeah they do that to me too

i just tell em to fuck off

not literally though, i just keep saying very flatly and bluntly "no." they eventually get the point. and they're not too pushy about it.

like it's their job, i mean. they have to do that, Big Daddy Gamestop makes them do that. i don't fault the employees for doing it, but yeah that whole kinda culture and shit is gross

i do feel gross every time i walk in and out of the store but at the end of the day it's still the most efficient and effective way to get new games on release day.

Dibby on
    DNiDlnb.png
    Battle.net Tag: Dibby#1582
  • LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    Offtopic: I worked for 3 years at Gamestop. I was a keyholder and a damn good employee when it came to customer interactions, getting work done like processing shipments, setting up marketing, training new employees, opening or closing the store, and all the technical stuff.

And I straight up refused to do any of their pitch bullshit. I hit all my weekly/monthly numbers just from walkups. I didn't have to push it. Either a person came in to intentionally preorder, or they didn't. And I hated a lot of their business practices so I just didn't do it. They used to do phone audits too, where there were these weekly little jingles you had to say when you answered the phone to promote the latest nonsense. I never did that either. I failed 100% of my audits and I didn't care. And they never wrote me up for it either. So fuck'em.

Ontopic: Man, I just watched that GameExplain review, and I was already hyped before, but holy crap after seeing some of those monster designs, level design, and beautiful artwork in the game, I am even more hyped now than before.

• TimFijiTimFiji Beast Lord Halfway2AnywhereRegistered User regular

I prefer it but I can't turn down the Amazon discount

Switch: SW-2322-2047-3148 Steam: Archpriest
      Selling Board Games for Medical Bills
    • EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
      I like to wear (unplugged) headphones when I go to gamestop. Let it be assumed that I can't hear any of the usual upsell that goes on when I enter.

Yeah it's a lie, but I'd rather have a small bit of privacy as I browse.

• Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
      This is one of those games that make the waiting to be able to afford a Switch agonizing.

That visual style just makes me feel all warm and fuzzy in my soul when I look at it.

Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
    • SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
      I suppose the unfortunate fact of the non intersecting stories may result in a very good outcome for me, of allowing the completion of standalone and supposedly interesting stories, at a fraction of the amount of hours required to beat most JRPGs. I can pick it back up at a later date and do the others, so I'm back on the fence of considering it.

PSN: Kurahoshi1
      edited July 2018
      Quick little day one patch. Not sure what it does but I’m excited!
      cd4stllxe547.jpeg

E: Is this photo too big? Tried to edit but can’t tell from phone

TimFiji on
      • GMaster7GMaster7 Goggles Paesano Registered User regular
        TimFiji wrote: »
        Quick little day one patch. Not sure what it does but I’m excited!
        cd4stllxe547.jpeg

E: Is this photo too big? Tried to edit but can’t tell from phone

I think it's fine by forum rules, but its size did present an issue for me when I printed it on glossy paper and ate the entire thing just now

PSN: SKI2000G | Steam: GMaster7 | Battle.net: GMaster7#1842 | Twitch: twitch.tv/SKI2000G
      • NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
        Kyanilis wrote: »
        I can respect that he's well regarded by many. He tends to have a strong opinion and the things he says in his OT review aren't necessarily false, but they're things that grind on him a lot more than it might most people. I think if you tend to agree with his opinion on games he's probably a good resource for you. That said, I tend to disagree with him and I bet this is no different.

With that being said, I'm actually wondering if him being so soured on certain parts of the game come from how quickly he seemed to have gotten through it. He says he clocked in about 36 hours and did all 8 stories + some side stuff. Other reviews put in 50-60 hours and only finished one or two characters. I feel like, yeah, if you push through the stories that quickly you're bound to notice things like more repetitive qualities. I wonder if he, and this isn't exactly his fault because lol review deadlines, sort of set himself up for failure by treating it as a game he just had to push through rather than experience.

Yeah, that's not a good way to generate a fair review. That said, at least he played it to story completion. I remember having an in-comments argument with Ben Kuchera when he couldn't be bothered to make it past Chapter 4 in Castlevania: Lords of Shadow. But, I digress.

My head canon is that the Octopath characters simply met each other at a tavern and, for whatever reason, decided to share their stories over a pint. And, really? I don't need much more than that to go along with the conceit. Normal-ish fantasy folks getting caught up in low stakes shenanigans is exactly the kind of thing I'm looking for right now.

That's fair. I just assumed there would be a connecting thread somewhere, but maybe that's just because i thought the raven men conspiracy would reach wider.

• captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
        I mean, that's how you get reviews before release. You can't leisurely play though a game, complete it, and also have it up today. It's a pick 2 situation.

• Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
        It's taking a lot of my willpower to not just access the eShop right now and download the game. Instead I'll be patient and wait for my physical version to arrive tomorrow, maybe play an hour or two and then somehow make it through a grueling day at work.

Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
      • ViskodViskod Registered User regular
        Septus wrote: »
        I suppose the unfortunate fact of the non intersecting stories may result in a very good outcome for me, of allowing the completion of standalone and supposedly interesting stories, at a fraction of the amount of hours required to beat most JRPGs. I can pick it back up at a later date and do the others, so I'm back on the fence of considering it.

There are level requirements for chapters that keep you from doing all of one characters chapters at once forcing you to hop around between different characters.

• KyanilisKyanilis Bellevue, WARegistered User regular
        edited July 2018
        Enlong wrote: »
        That's fair. I just assumed there would be a connecting thread somewhere, but maybe that's just because i thought the raven men conspiracy would reach wider.

I'm putting this behind spoilers because it's not explicitly story spoilers but there's a lot of "HMMMMM...." going on right now for good reason. I won't put all the details here (like specific story references) but...
        To be fair, there's a bunch of people digging in deep because there actually are a lot of connecting references. There's also a few songs on the released OST that reference boss fights that nobody has found that also correlate to side quest chains. There was also a statement from Nintendo to Kotaku that said that there is more but it's locked behind side quests. I've been loosely following along because I really like the idea of stuff that is really well hidden like this. I get the feeling that there was either something that was meant to make it in the game but didn't for some really bad reason (and would be annoying that it didn't) or, more likely and consistent with this team, there's some pretty well hidden story related things. Maybe not a full chapter but at least a dungeon, etc.

There's a lot more details here, if you're curious: https://www.reddit.com/r/octopathtraveler/comments/8yctie/endgame_speculation/

Kyanilis on
      • pyromaniac221pyromaniac221 this just might be an interestin YTRegistered User regular
        edited July 2018
        First time preordering on the eShop, what time do games usually unlock? Is it just midnight local time?

pyromaniac221 on
        psn tooaware, friend code SW-4760-0062-3248 it me
      • KyanilisKyanilis Bellevue, WARegistered User regular
        First time preordering on the eShop, what time do games usually unlock? Is it just midnight local time?

Typically 12am EST. However, 3rd party titles sometimes unlock more like noon EST.

That being said I think this will be 12am EST since it's published by Nintendo.

• SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
        Viskod wrote: »

There are level requirements for chapters that keep you from doing all of one characters chapters at once forcing you to hop around between different characters.

Don't the reviews also say you can play the game entirely solo? Does it just force you to grind?

PSN: Kurahoshi1
      • GrundlestiltskinGrundlestiltskin Behind you!Registered User regular

Don't the reviews also say you can play the game entirely solo? Does it just force you to grind?

I think it's balanced around the assumption that you're leveling up via doing multiple stories in parallel. Also with a full party. Presumably you don't need to do either of those things, but you'd probably be doing a lot of grinding to compensate.

3DS FC: 2079-6424-8577 | PSN: KaeruX65 | Steam: Karulytic | FFXIV: Wonder Boy
      • ViskodViskod Registered User regular

Being grindy in general seems to be a common complaint.

• UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
        I kinda like the idea of it being first and foremost a set of 8 unconnected tales of personal struggle and growth.

In a way it feels like it's referencing classic anthology literature like the Canterbury Tales.

In another way, referencing Square's own historic RPG Live a Live:
        Live A Live's story begins with a series of seven seemingly unrelated chapters that can be played in any order, based on popular genres such as Western, science fiction, and mecha. Each chapter has its own plot, setting, and characters. Although the basic gameplay is the same throughout the game, every chapter has its own unique gimmick, such as the stealth elements in the ninja chapter. After the first seven chapters are completed, the game's final sequence plays out, linking the previous chapters together and resolving the story.

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
      • akjakakjak Thera Spooky GymRegistered User regular
        Four and a half hours, my dudes!

Switch: SW-4133-1546-2720 (Thera)
        Twitch: akThera
        Steam: Thera
        akjak wrote: »
        Four and a half hours, my dudes!

Guys I'm from the future of July 13th and it is gooooood

• OneAngryPossumOneAngryPossum Registered User regular
          Yeah, it’s the grindy repetitiveness that has me holding off at this point.

It also has me thinking about giving Bravely Default a proper play again. I think I bailed midway through Chapter 5 a few years ago.

• anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
          Maybe I'm weird, but I kind of like grinding in games. Probably because I like being OP by the end of the game and breezing through bosses.

Steam: offday
          On the flip side, I always appreciate the option to set EXP gain to 0, in case I want to do a bunch of sidequest grind without maxxing out my level

• OneAngryPossumOneAngryPossum Registered User regular
          I’m down with grinding, but my concern is that it’s less a constant power gain and more a matter of gaining power and abilities with one set of characters, going back to a character with fewer abilities, repeat.

I might just not fully understand the systems at play, to be honest.

• joshgotrojoshgotro Deviled Egg The Land of REAL CHILIRegistered User regular
          edited July 2018
          anoffday wrote: »
          Maybe I'm weird, but I kind of like grinding in games. Probably because I like being OP by the end of the game and breezing through bosses.

If Cloud doesn't have all his Limit Breaks before I exit the ghost train yard, I'm not grinding hard enough.
          Edit: Sans Omnislash

joshgotro on
        • MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
          Sadly, I just don't have the time to spend grinding these days. That's why I felt that the sliding encounter bar from Bravely Default was the single greatest addition to JRPGs.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
          Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
          Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
          Steam ID
          Twitch Page
        • LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
          Edea Lee was the single greatest addition to JRPGs.

• DibbyDibby I'll do my best! Registered User regular
          wow hi hello i just finished playing the demo, holy moly thassagoodgame
          GaIC6y3.png

DNiDlnb.png
          Battle.net Tag: Dibby#1582
        • skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
          This is out now.

Nintendo Console Codes
          Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
          PM Me if you add me!
          HAIL HYDRA
        • pyromaniac221pyromaniac221 this just might be an interestin YTRegistered User regular
          Thank god the port over from demo save data is dumb easy

psn tooaware, friend code SW-4760-0062-3248 it me
        • edzeppedzepp Registered User regular
          edited July 2018
          You know, those music tracks that people have found that seem to refer to some 'final' boss are strange to me. Not many reviews of the game seem to have played through all the stories or side content fully, so I do have to wonder if there is really no 'there' there, or whether there's something we're not seeing.

I mean, whatever, game still sounds great regardless, but it's all very mysterious.

edzepp on
        • DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
          Sadly, I just don't have the time to spend grinding these days. That's why I felt that the sliding encounter bar from Bravely Default was the single greatest addition to JRPGs.

Don't look at me, I suggested they add it on the first demo's survey and they ignored me!

Donnicton wrote: »

Don't look at me, I suggested they add it on the first demo's survey and they ignored me!

well then you should have asked HARDER you weakling

edited July 2018
        • Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
          Got my copy! Gonna try and get through Cyrus' and maybe Therion's story before work, so that I can experience all-new stuff when I get home tonight.

Also, there's a day 1 patch, so make sure to manually check for updates when you get your copy.

Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
        • GMaster7GMaster7 Goggles Paesano Registered User regular
          edzepp wrote: »
          Sorry to DP, but some resetera guys have also found these things out.

Again, may not be much, but there's that smoke.

Thank you for sharing - good to hear - and now it's time to go radio silent and dive into this thing. Hope everyone has a blast! I'm starting with Cyrus.

PSN: SKI2000G | Steam: GMaster7 | Battle.net: GMaster7#1842 | Twitch: twitch.tv/SKI2000G