As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Don't worry, Remedy have everything under [Control]

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    edited August 2019
    Prohass wrote: »
    Heads up for the ending some clips the sound didn’t work for me on my Xbox one x so I only knew what was going on through subtitles

Also for people who have beat the game I cracked up at
    Shawshank Redemption!

I just got to that point and yeah, that's excellent timing Remedy.

This game was great, I adore every bit of it. I loved the combat (after I got used to it), the exploration, the story, the art design was absolutely phenomenal, the graphics were engrossing in the best way, the sound design was gorgeous.

I could not get too involved in QB or AW, just never grabbed me the way Control has. I dont remember the last time a game really sat me down and demanded I finish it. Probably Wolfenstein The New Order and Doom. I'd easily put Control up with those two games.

Worth every penny.

jungleroomx on
  • Options
    Alucard6986Alucard6986 xbox: Ubeltanzer swtor: UbelRegistered User regular
    The platinum for this wasn’t too bad, just had to scrape together a couple hidden locations at the end combined with a few side quests I’d missed to get the final few points for unlocking all the abilities.

PSN: Ubeltanzer Blizzard: Ubel#1258
  • Options
    Ah geeeze, the Asynchronous Suit is the best outfit in the game, and I didn’t even realize you could get it until after I’d already finished the story.

• Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    my spin gives me ammo if i shoot it while levitating

not on hit, it just regenerates ammo while firing

ayyy

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    CaptainNemoCaptainNemo Registered User regular
    edited September 2019
    Endgame Spoilers about Ahti:
    He's totally part of the Board, right?

CaptainNemo on
    PSN:CaptainNemo1138
    Shitty Tumblr:lighthouse1138.tumblr.com
  • Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular

I think
    he’s a resident of the Oldest House

Whether he is the House itself or not I can’t be sure

Hey I beat this game and the end is fucking unbelievably good, y’all should finish this game guys cuz YO

signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    Olivaw wrote: »

I think
    he’s a resident of the Oldest House

Whether he is the House itself or not I can’t be sure

Hey I beat this game and the end is fucking unbelievably good, y’all should finish this game guys cuz YO

From the Ashtray Maze to the Postgame part is a fucking ride.

That song in the Ashtray Maze.
    The fake credit roll

I loved this game

• Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    edited September 2019
    I was literally (ending spoiler)
    writing an angry post about the ending being abrupt, when i looked up and saw the credits melting and realised it was a fakeout

Also gamers always complaining about there not being enough single player only games, then you fuckers all better buy this!

Prohass on
  • Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    edited September 2019
    Playing this now on my 2080RTX laptop.

So far running nicely, especially after swapping out the OEM hard drive for an SSD. At least I'm telling myself that..

Loving the gameplay and story. Not loving having to install Epic.

MichaelLC on
  • Options
    ZekZek Registered User regular
    writing an angry post about the ending being abrupt, when i looked up and saw the credits melting and realised it was a fakeout

Also gamers always complaining about there not being enough single player only games, then you fuckers all better buy this!
    Yeah I was pretty irritated and wondering if I got the bad ending somehow. Although the actual ending really was a little abrupt.

• Options
    Zek wrote: »

Yeah I was pretty irritated and wondering if I got the bad ending somehow. Although the actual ending really was a little abrupt.
    there are a lot of loose threads in the end—Marshall vanishing, dylan in a coma, the former, the fact that the hiss are still pretty rampant throughout the building. I think there’s a hotline from the board that mentions a possible expansion.

Personally I thought it was weird you don’t fight Dylan in the end. There were plenty of big setpiece fights leading up to it, but considering all the baggage they have, their similar powers, the fact that they were rivals for the director position, and that there were plenty of traditional big health bar boss fights in the game, it was an anti-climax to not go toe to toe with him as a final boss.

• Options
    Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny Jackie Registered User regular
    Okay, the difficulty spikes on some of these boss fights could do with relaxing. Especially when the run from re-spawn is three long corridors and a six second intro animation.

• Options
    FeriluceFeriluce Adrift on the morning star. Aberdeen, WARegistered User regular
    Okay, the difficulty spikes on some of these boss fights could do with relaxing. Especially when the run from re-spawn is three long corridors and a six second intro animation.

Agreed. The one at the end of Old Growth has been the most frustrating for me so far, but the Enemy Within one was up there too.

XBox Live= LordFeriluce
    Steam: Feriluce
    Battle.net: Feriluce#1995
  • Options
    Yeah the game is often hard in a bad way. It would be hard to recommend this to someone who might totally be on board for purely the aesthetics/style of the game if they have to bang their head against a tough encounter.

Maybe they could patch in an easy mode at some point.

• Options
    edited September 2019
    Yeah mainly the boss fights are way too tough, but also like easy in a dumb way which is not clear. Like the clock fight, you think the red clocks do more damage or something, but they don’t. And the fungus boss fight, you assume throwing the pods is what you’re supposed to do, but in reality they do basically the same damage as just throwing concrete, and if you spend the fight trying to look up to grab the pods, you lose sight of the boss and can’t dodge it’s devestating attacks

Also there’s tonnes of movement options and yet often the right thing to do is hide in cover, which goes against your instincts, especially when the game trains you to go for health drops out of cover

And yeah even at full health upgrade some bosses can like kill you in two hits, which is nuts

It always confuses me when developers do that with games, like don’t you play test this? As far as I’m concerned, if someone like me, who plays games constantly, finds your game super frustratingly difficult, I have to assume there’s going to be a huge percentage of players who would just straight up not be able to beat your game, which is a bummer because surely they want people to see all the content they made? Especially since there’s no difficulty settings

Even with games like dark souls you can just over level and grind to beat areas. In this if you can’t do it you just won’t see the rest of the game, which is dumb

Prohass on
  • Options
    Yeah mainly the boss fights are way too tough, but also like easy in a dumb way which is not clear. Like the clock fight, you think the red clocks do more damage or something, but they don’t. And the fungus boss fight, you assume throwing the pods is what you’re supposed to do, but in reality they do basically the same damage as just throwing concrete, and if you spend the fight trying to look up to grab the pods, you lose sight of the boss and can’t dodge it’s devestating attacks

Also there’s tonnes of movement options and yet often the right thing to do is hide in cover, which goes against your instincts, especially when the game trains you to go for health drops out of cover

And yeah even at full health upgrade some bosses can like kill you in two hits, which is nuts

You can cheese the Mold-1 fight pretty easily if you just keep strafing by gliding. Target it's arms to cripple it and you can take it out in no time.

Tomassi can eat a bag of dicks, though.

• Options
    I actually found Tomassi relatively easy! I don’t know why, but it feels all over the place in terms of what hangs people up, maybe based on playstyle?

But I was stuck on the mold fight for ages, made more annoying by having to travel to the fight and kill enemies along the way every time

• Options
    ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular

The Mold fight:
    If we're talking about the Clog thing in the drains, I just hid behind cover and shot its arms. It could never hit me back.

Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • Options
    Yeah I didnt have really any problems with the boss fights. Tomassi was kinda hard but after refining my reflexes on Sekiro this was p easy.

• Options
    ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular
    Shadowhope wrote: »
    The Mold fight:
    If we're talking about the Clog thing in the drains, I just hid behind cover and shot its arms. It could never hit me back.

Ha ha, I totally had the wrong fight.
    Mold-1 owned my face repeatedly, until it bugged out. When it did that, I just hid behind cover and shot its arms. It could never hit me back.

Anyhow: I’ve beaten the game, but that ending does feel a little abrupt. Almost as if there were two DLC planned to continue the story. I expect to have a lot more thoughts for a later post.

Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • Options
    edited September 2019
    I can understand it feeling anticlimactic, but abrupt I dont understand, especially with
    The fake out credit sequence and the extended fight in the red astral plane

jungleroomx on
  • Options
    Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    I kind of want the game where I’m in a squad of rangers investigating paranormal activities. But this is a close second.

• Options
    AlphaRomeroAlphaRomero Registered User regular
    I can understand it feeling anticlimactic, but abrupt I dont understand, especially with
    The fake out credit sequence and the extended fight in the red astral plane
    All of a sudden Dylan is gone, you're in the astral plane, you purge Dylan, you're now director, the job fighting the Hiss goes on, the end. It's definitely abrupt and explains very little. Especially as for me, combat is the worst part of the game, so just fighting 2-3 arenas of particularly annoying enemies like the one with the rubble shield isn't fun.

• Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    I kind of want the game where I’m in a squad of rangers investigating paranormal activities. But this is a close second.

Control: Red Shift. You're Betty, one of the few Rangers protected from The Hiss. Explore the Oldest House, visiting both familiar locations and new areas. You may even meet some old friends...

• Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    Just beat this. Tons of setup for DLC and connected games.
    They're kind of building an extended universe, which I love.

The hero of the game is actually Hedron, isn't it? She ran into a couple of terrified kids playing with power beyond their understanding, helped them save their town and maybe their world at what seems to be the cost of losing access to her home reality, and was captured by the Bureau for her trouble (which i assume was unpleasant, but it's hard to tell; she only called Jesse when the Hiss came through). Then, she helped Jesse beat the Hiss and save the world for sure, and probably multiple realities, given the amount of interdimensional threshold instances in the Oldest House, partially dying to do it.

Pour one out for Hedron.

• Options
    LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    Hidden Weapon Mod
    The furnace weapon mod is awesome. And extra so since I legit only use Grip. Now Grip is godlike.

Speaking of Grip, anyone know when the opportunity to upgrade to rank 3 opens up? Really want another mod slot on it.

What is the weapon mod?
    I did the furnace area and I don't remember if I found a mod or not

• Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    edited September 2019
    the bosses just have bad mechanics
    take mold-1 as an example

if you dodge its tentacle slam attack as you would in an actual action game - ie as if your dodge move had iframes - it will hit you ever time

if, on the other hand, you just strafe sideways while gliding and use your dodge when it yells, about 1second before it actually does the slam - ie pathetically early - it will miss every single time and the boss is trivial with zero thought - strafe sideways, press dodge when you hear a yell, hold down shoot, ignore everything

its just ????

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    SaraLunaSaraLuna Registered User regular
    LD50 wrote: »
    Hidden Weapon Mod
    The furnace weapon mod is awesome. And extra so since I legit only use Grip. Now Grip is godlike.

Speaking of Grip, anyone know when the opportunity to upgrade to rank 3 opens up? Really want another mod slot on it.

What is the weapon mod?
    I did the furnace area and I don't remember if I found a mod or not
    It’s a mod for Grip that has 100% chance to refund the bullet when you hit something.

You have to come back later in the game once you have the last major ability.

Details in this spoiler:
    Around the maintenance sector, there are 5 or 6 TVs with fire on the screen and leaking smoke. You have to feed all of them to the furnace. You need levitate to reach a couple of them.

• Options
    the bosses just have bad mechanics
    take mold-1 as an example

if you dodge its tentacle slam attack as you would in an actual action game - ie as if your dodge move had iframes - it will hit you ever time

if, on the other hand, you just strafe sideways while gliding and use your dodge when it yells, about 1second before it actually does the slam - ie pathetically early - it will miss every single time and the boss is trivial with zero thought - strafe sideways, press dodge when you hear a yell, hold down shoot, ignore everything

its just ????

Yeah a lot of the bosses are not great. I like the combat a lot, and they've done a great job of creating this upward curve into a terrifying psionic warrior raining telekinetic death, but the bosses tend toward trivial or irritating or, somehow, both

• Options
    edited September 2019
    Also, some endgame speculation:
    Ahti is a mythological hero from Finnish folklore, and Ahto is a Finnish sea god. I'm assuming this is the reference. The rune you see in the Foundation makes me think the Oldest House may actually be Yggdrassil in its contemporary form.

The Hiss being Jormungandr is probably a stretch, though. Or rather Nidhogg.

Evil Multifarious on
  • Options
    Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular
    edited September 2019
    So I actually kind of like this Poets of the Fall - My Dark Disquiet song

Huh, turns out it’s a real band

Forever Zefiro on
    2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
    XBL - Foreverender | 3DS FC - 1418 6696 1012 | Steam ID | LoL
  • Options
    Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular

Not just a real band, but an essential part of nearly every Remedy game since Max Payne 2.

ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • Options
    How has this thread not mentioned
    the music video
    yet?

• Options
    HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2019
    I bought it!

How do I make the Epic Games Store download a game? :rotate:

Edit: I got it working but it seems like it should be easier to download the game you have purchased.

Honk on
    PSN: Honkalot
  • Options
    Descendant XDescendant X Skyrim is my god now. Outpost 31Registered User regular
    Picked this up on PS4 Pro. Getting a few graphical glitches but nothing bothersome.

The story and environment makes up for anything I’ve noticed anyway. One simple trick I noticed in the first five minutes was enough to tell me I was in for the duration.

Garry: I know you gentlemen have been through a lot, but when you find the time I'd rather not spend the rest of the winter TIED TO THIS FUCKING COUCH!
  • Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    I'm really enjoying this but I'm hitting a wall with the combat

The Ashtray Maze defeated me a couple times, and that is a long sequence to go with no checkpoints, so I tried to go do a couple side quests and they're all kicking my ass too!

Self Reflection side quest
    what's the strategy on the third phase? she dodges all my telekinetic attacks and bullets fucking barely chip her. I just can't stay ahead of her and she wears me down every time

• Options
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    I'm really enjoying this but I'm hitting a wall with the combat

The Ashtray Maze defeated me a couple times, and that is a long sequence to go with no checkpoints, so I tried to go do a couple side quests and they're all kicking my ass too!

Self Reflection side quest
    what's the strategy on the third phase? she dodges all my telekinetic attacks and bullets fucking barely chip her. I just can't stay ahead of her and she wears me down every time

I managed to beat this after a while, and it was actually kind of cool? But it is a real pain, since there's not really other parts of the game like it
    The game doesn't demand a lot of you most of the time, especially in combat sections with grunts and mooks, even the higher level ones you can pick and choose how you kill them. It's part of what I like about the game!

But that boss fight, and maybe one other in the game, kind of demands you to learn specific patterns and counters. It's all about energy management, basically -- keep enough energy on hand to grab any grenades she shoots and throw them back, and when she starts throwing shit at you herself, throw up a Shield to catch it, then take some potshots and repeat. Play it safe and keep your distance, especially when she brings up her own shield because her barrage does more damage than yours. I used Pierce a lot for boss fights like this, since Launch and Charge do a ton of damage but can be easily dodged, whereas Pierce is hitscan. Do your best not to get hit, because the health she drops is fairly minimal, but you can augment this by loading up on personal mods that increase the health you get from drops; those can be a big help when recovery is at a premium

(As an aside, I'm not sure if upping Shield strength also ups the damage the barrage does, but it was far more useful as a stun than a damage dealer in pretty much every circumstance)

Actually beating it was a cool feeling, and once I had it down I felt like it wasn't really a fault of that particular part, but the game as a whole

Oh and when you do beat it, don't forget your reward!
    back in the real world, in one of the windowed test areas, a window will have broken and you can wear the cool suit Essej was wearing

I only found it after I beat the game and that's a shame because it rules

signature-deffo.jpg
  • Options
    Also, quick question: did anyone else find the Luck and Probability puzzle?

Because that was my favorite puzzle in the game

signature-deffo.jpg
  • Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    god DAMN it I can't fucking do this

• Options
    BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular

Not just a real band, but an essential part of nearly every Remedy game since Max Payne 2.

Late Goodbye might probably still be my favourite Poets of the Fall song