As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

I'm cold again, [weather thread]

• Options
    LasbrookLasbrook It takes a lot to make a stew When it comes to me and youRegistered User regular
    Currently 102, feels like 106 but only 30% humidity so it’s honestly not bad. Between the heat outside and the sheer amount of equipment we were running inside my office peaked at 81 today even with the AC set to 70 all day. Thank god I have a desk fan.

I stopped by HEB and thankfully they were selling the cure though:
    LJTakDsh.jpg

They also have a new seasonal which is sea salt and lime but I am not brave enough for that.

• Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    I just drank 28oz of water in like 60 seconds.

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    The thing that I have had trouble adjusting to in the northeast is those days (well, nights really) where it inexplicably gets hotter when the sun goes down. Tomorrow is apparently going to be very mild and pleasant until about 8pm.
    Weirdest climate.

• Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    Holy shit I want to try prickly pear beer that sounds great.

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Uriel wrote: »

Enjoy peeing your brains out in about 3 hours

• Options
    THESPOOKYTHESPOOKY papa! Registered User regular
    Georgia summer fucking sucks

Especially when it's constantly showering and you don't have a car with working windows OR air conditioning

d4753b065e9d63cc25203f06160a1cd1.png
  • Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    Brainleech wrote: »
    Uriel wrote: »

Enjoy peeing your brains out in about 3 hours

naw I just woke up like 6 hours later and barely had to pee.

I've been sweating it all out.

• Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    Pretty sure there is forehead sweat all the way down to my shoes at this point.

I'm basically a salty waterfall

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    tynic wrote: »
    The thing that I have had trouble adjusting to in the northeast is those days (well, nights really) where it inexplicably gets hotter when the sun goes down. Tomorrow is apparently going to be very mild and pleasant until about 8pm.
    Weirdest climate.

I still argue with my dad about this and tell him he was a jerk for never getting AC and having both window units and central air in his house now.

As much as I love the 85 degree days, the 95+ ones that are humid as fuck and also get hotter right before midnight are not something I'm going to deal with.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    Capt HowdyCapt Howdy Registered User regular
    THESPOOKY wrote: »
    Georgia summer fucking sucks

Especially when it's constantly showering and you don't have a car with working windows OR air conditioning

The AC doesn't really help for the first 10 minutes of driving, which makes it almost pointless on short trips. This humidity can fuck right off, while we're talking about it. Felt like a damn sauna at 0700 on my way into work.

Steam: kaylesolo1
    3DS: 1521-4165-5907
    PS3: KayleSolo
    Live: Kayle Solo
    WiiU: KayleSolo
  • Options
    LadaiLadai Registered User regular
    nj-weather-heat-index-mapjpg-7de9ae6445566caf.jpg

The entire Philly/NJ region is under either an excessive heat warning or heat advisory, and it ain't much better throughout the rest of the mid-Atlantic and northeast:

nj-weather-dangerous-heat-wave-accuweatherjpeg-653b2b491bdba216.jpeg

Stay safe out there, folks.

ely3ub6du1oe.jpg
  • Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Gonna hit about a hundo here in DC and the humidity is formidable
    I'm already sweating through this shirt

• Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    Jesus east coast stay safe.

High today here is supposed to be 76. Yesterday I wore a light jacket. I thought LA was supposed to be hot and miserable in the summer compared to most of the rest of the nation.

• Options
    jgeisjgeis Registered User regular
    Inquisitor wrote: »

High today here is supposed to be 76. Yesterday I wore a light jacket. I thought LA was supposed to be hot and miserable in the summer compared to most of the rest of the nation.

It depends on where you're at in Los Angeles. Those 102/104 temps I complained about were for Hollywood. At my apartment down near LAX it's supposed to be 10° cooler. Up in the Valley it's going to be ~5-10° hotter than Hollywood, out towards San Bernardino it'll climb up over 110°.

• Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    It's getting hotter, and staying hotter for a longer time, on the East coast

• Options
    Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    Weather Underground is showing me 92 feels like 102 but Weather.com says its only 89 but feels like 97. Either way, glad I work in an air conditioned office.

• Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    jgeis wrote: »

It depends on where you're at in Los Angeles. Those 102/104 temps I complained about were for Hollywood. At my apartment down near LAX it's supposed to be 10° cooler. Up in the Valley it's going to be ~5-10° hotter than Hollywood, out towards San Bernardino it'll climb up over 110°.

I'm in Glendale, it's supposed to ramp up later this week but for now it's just super pleasant.

• Options
    SLyMSLyM Registered User regular
    Huh, according to that map it's supposed to be between 90 and 100 where I am right now but it's like low-mid 80s with a pleasant breeze and low humidity. It's actually almost the best weather possible.

My friend is working on a roguelike game you can play if you want to. (It has free demo)
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    it's a mere 92 right now and will be for the rest of the week
    I miss the rain though as when it comes it will be devastating with how dry it's been lately

It was refreshing to hear the employees of Carl Jr's talk about how it's turning to a desert south of us and how this area is in the buffer with the general lack of interest the state has in doing something about it

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    just cracking 100 here

ugh

• Options
    jgeis wrote: »

I'm in Glendale, it's supposed to ramp up later this week but for now it's just super pleasant.

Yeah, I thought I remembered you mentioning that you were in Glendale. I'm actually in Glendale right now! I'm doing some Ubering and ended up here. It's indeed super pleasant out, although it's creeping up to 80° and so direct sunlight is getting a bit warm.

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    I went out for lunch and lost the will to live
    It's like having a big wet towel pressed all up on my face

• Options
    Apparently the heat was high enough to cause the Michigan Street bridge in downtown Chicago to malfunction and boats couldn't pass through it, so the fire department boat had to hose it down to drop the temps.

• Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    Wow, that's wild

• Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    Every time I think about moving out of CA I remember other places have humidity. You can miss me with that shit.

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    DepressperadoDepressperado I just wanted to see you laughing in the pizza rainRegistered User regular
    I drove past some folks who were laying asphalt on the road near my house

and it's like, you lunatics do this at night

I locked eyes with one of them and it looked like the heat had burnt the soul out of him

• Options
    it dropped about 20 degrees after it rained

it feels pretty great out now

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    It was supposed to be a high of 87 today but went up to 92, feeling like 98.

• Options
    PsykomaPsykoma Registered User regular
    edited July 2018
    It's currently 35C (95F), feels like 45C (113F).

I also checked my electricity consumption, because I was worried about just how much electricity my portable a/c unit was taking up.
    Turns out I've used about 20kWh/day for the last couple days when the AC is running.
    My fixed monthly charge covers up to 35kWh/day.
    I could probably stand to turn up the cooling even more tbh.

Psykoma on
  • Options
    LasbrookLasbrook It takes a lot to make a stew When it comes to me and youRegistered User regular
    That is a way larger margin between the actual temp and the heat index than I am used to seeing.

• Options
    edited July 2018
    Heat index was never something I encountered outside north america, even in tropical zones. It makes a lot of sense, though - 36C at 80% humidity is a waaaay different feel than 36C at 30% humidity.

Related, apparently the 'assumed humidity' for the 'feels like' temperature is 20%, which seems really low to me - I've spent time in the desert with humidity in the 15-20% range for long periods, and that's a level of moisture where most people get nosebleeds, if it's hot, or your skin chaps, if it's cold. (my heels start to develop deep and painful fissures, but part of that is my refusal to wear shoes).
    I dunno what would be better than 20%, mind you, it just seems like a weird value to pick.

tynic on
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular

I locked eyes with one of them and it looked like the heat had burnt the soul out of him

They don’t really get a choice in that matter. Write an angry letter to your city.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular

They don’t really get a choice in that matter. Write an angry letter to your city.

My "favorite" summer during a heatwave job was the year I was doing roofing, specifically was the Torch-On person, so I had to stand on black roofs in 35-40'C heat, in thick cargo pants , wielding a giant flamethrower to melt tarpaper onto the roofs

I'm lucky I didn't just collapse and die one day tbh

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    Apparently it's because 20% humidity is the lowest reliable measurement you can get by using a wet-and-dry-bulb thermometer, which is still one of the most common instruments used to measure humidity! I guess when the air gets any drier than that, it evaporates water so quickly that the capillary action you were using to keep your wet bulb wet can't keep up, so it throws your calculations all out of whack.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    Macro9Macro9 Registered User regular
    I work in a chemical plant. It stays at least 20 degrees hotter than the outside temp constantly and it's so humid on some days you can practically see clouds of water vapor forming. Some days I'm happy to be inside the small boiler rooms messing around with them than being out in the rest of the plant.

I just wish for a day when I can be enclosed inside of an air conditioned suit while doing my work.

58pwo4vxupcr.png
  • Options
    Jedoc wrote: »
    Apparently it's because 20% humidity is the lowest reliable measurement you can get by using a wet-and-dry-bulb thermometer, which is still one of the most common instruments used to measure humidity! I guess when the air gets any drier than that, it evaporates water so quickly that the capillary action you were using to keep your wet bulb wet can't keep up, so it throws your calculations all out of whack.

Interesting!

• Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    It's crazy seeing the heat in the Northeast right now

It's been reliably 100 for the past like 3 weeks or so straight

This temp is so normal I'm just kinda like "meh, yeah I'm wearing jeans what of it" but it's also super dry right now as compared to the north east

• Options
    I'm not finding it super hot but the humidity does make it a bit manky.

I did a long bike ride on the weekend and woo did I need a cold shower after that.

• Options
    Whose bright idea was it to build on the swamps of the east coast anyways?

• Options
    mitchell_and_webb_virginia.mp4

This discussion has been closed.