As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

I'm cold again, [weather thread]

• Options
    DirtyboyDirtyboy Registered User regular
    edited January 2020
  • Options
    PsykomaPsykoma Registered User regular
    It's not looking great for tomorrow.

9adqavuu47oj.png

And sunday will be nice, having a couple cm of loose snow sitting right on top of like an inch of fresh ice.

• Options
    ElaroElaro Apologetic Registered User regular
    Psykoma wrote: »
    It's not looking great for tomorrow.

9adqavuu47oj.png

And sunday will be nice, having a couple cm of loose snow sitting right on top of like an inch of fresh ice.

"And so it begins, the great ice storm of our time." -Gandalf

Children's rights are human rights.
  • Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    Holy gosh the storm sytem about to pass over where I'm at is the biggest I've ever seen like it.

It's going from the gulf all the way up diagonally to New Brunswick or so. That's crazy.

It's also 60f here in January. Though it's supposed to drop 30 whole degrees after the rain or so.

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2020
    19C here today , 22C tomorrow. The combination of temperature and low sun elevation means I've spent all day thinking it's late evening.

edit: I just realised that this is about 40C above where the temperature usually is in early January.
    which is INSANE.

tynic on
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    Yeah the last 2 days here have felt super weird. Little smoke, no sun, dark and overcast.

Still nothing wet falling from the sky.

• Options
  • Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    We're expecting snow up in Seattle too. My shop is currently packed with people stocking up on whatever they can get ahold of.

• Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    I imagine our real cold snap will hit ohio in like February. I'm just glad the flooding near the door to my apartment didn't turn into a skating rink overnight.

• Options
    PsykomaPsykoma Registered User regular
    edited January 2020
    The city snow plow left a wall of snow at the end of my driveway, maybe three feet wide and one and a half feet high.

Then the freezing rain turned that entire wall, from the top all the way down to the cement, into one singular block of ice.

I spent about an hour and twenty minutes chopping shoveling the wall away, then went in to shower and get ready for work.
    While walking out to my car my neighbour came out with his ATV with a snowplow on the front, and cleared out the ice wall in front of their driveway in about a minute and forty seconds.

I like my neighbours, they're unintrusive and kind. I was not thinking kind thoughts of him at that moment though.
    I was also wishing I had an atv with a snowplow on it.

Psykoma on
  • Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    edited January 2020
    Seattle weather: RNG edition!

Convergence Zone: Thin band of snow near the Lynnwood area with difficult driving near the I-405 interchange. These webcams are approximately 3 miles apart. Huge variation over a small area. #WAwx pic.twitter.com/tNIVgo6JUW

Phoenix-D on
  • Options
    JansonJanson Registered User regular
    tynic wrote: »
    19C here today , 22C tomorrow. The combination of temperature and low sun elevation means I've spent all day thinking it's late evening.

edit: I just realised that this is about 40C above where the temperature usually is in early January.
    which is INSANE.

Holy shit!

I’m all prepared for snow here south of Seattle which means it probably won’t snow...

• Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    Janson wrote: »
    tynic wrote: »

which is INSANE.

Holy shit!

I’m all prepared for snow here south of Seattle which means it probably won’t snow...

We'll probably get our normal snow, not last year's "HI HELLO ALL THE SNOW NOW".

• Options
    LaOsLaOs SaskatoonRegistered User regular
    Yeah... and I thought last week was our cold week.
    nkm1duoacfdw.png

Thanks for the warning banner (and push notifications), Environment Canada...

• Options
    LaOs wrote: »
    nkm1duoacfdw.png

I'm sorry, where are you and how can I get there?

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    Hey, that's some bullshit no matter what temperature scale you're using.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    Challenge accepted.

• Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    Not exactly weather, but my past month has hit "typhoon", "earthquake", and (kinda) "volcano", so that's something.

• Options
    NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    Jragghen wrote: »
    Not exactly weather, but my past month has hit "typhoon", "earthquake", and (kinda) "volcano", so that's something.

Yeah that part of the world is really being hit back to back. :( Stay safe!

• Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    Jedoc wrote: »
    Hey, that's some bullshit no matter what temperature scale you're using.

Especially Kelvin.

• Options
    Jragghen wrote: »

Yeah that part of the world is really being hit back to back. :( Stay safe!

Hasn't been bad for us, thankfully. We were in the mountains and only got "signal number 2" winds which is (I think?) Tropical storm level. Lost power for a few days, but we had a generator. Closer to the coast got it worse.

Quake was fairly far away and I think we only felt it because we were on the 4th floor at the time. I don't think there was any injuries in that one so it was kinda "neat" in that I've lived over a decade in CA but have been traveling or asleep for any I could feel, so it was my first.

Volcano was a different part of the country, but has disrupted air travel while going home - I'm thankfully not in the effected areas for it (there's a lot of evacuees for anyone looking for charities to donate to, I think there's some stuff for it). So fingers crossed.

• Options
    Elaro wrote: »
    LaOs wrote: »
    nkm1duoacfdw.png

I'm sorry, where are you and how can I get there?

Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, Canada, baby! Planes may freeze, so you may want to just drive it.

• Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    We've got just the tiniest amount of snow here in central Oregon.

JhHsMtTl.jpg

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    oh no, your mailbox was hit from all directions by tiny cars!

• Options
    edited January 2020
    Or teenagers gnomes with baseball bats.

Dirtyboy on
  • Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    In Puyallup, WA, it got to be about an inch of snow? Not enough to deter me from coming to work.

Seattle might get hit tomorrow, but given how much snow we've gotten thus far, I can't imagine we'll close the office.

• Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    the mailbox is actually mounted on what I believe is an engine crankshaft, it was there when I moved here

• Options
    JansonJanson Registered User regular
    Two inches of snow here, not quiiiite enough for a snow day. My tiny car was just about okay. A car had spun out on top of the hill near us.

Puyallup proper only had 0.5-1 inch, some more snow fell in our neighborhood after @Moriveth left for work this morning.
    2020-01-14%2008.24.08.jpg

• Options
    chromdomchromdom Who? Where?Registered User regular
    Hey, what weather app, if any, do you all use?
    I got rid of my previous one (Weather Underground) because it wouldn't give me current weather without me refreshing it, and the one I picked as a replacement (Vegoo) doesn't seem to be very accurate.
    NOAA doesn't have an app, I guess, and I am not on twitter (twitter also would not put current weather on my homescreen), so I'm looking for something good, that will automatically refresh at intervals.

• Options
    W-Underground started sucking extremely hard as soon as it was bought by The Weather Channel
    I eventually replaced it with What The Forecast. I don't know if I'd recommend the app as its tone (can apps have a tone?) is monumentally irritating
    but the forecast for the Boston region is way more accurate than any other I've had, and the interface isn't dumb (some of the icons are a bit unintuitive but if I just want to get a current temp and hi/low estimates for the next week it is extremely up front and no-frills).

• Options
    My Google phone appears to use weather.com for its Weather app/widget thing. It is always there, doing its thing. When I actually want to check the forecast, though, I use the Environment Canada app. (Not necessarily helpful for you... but maybe looking into the Google weather.com thing may help you?)

• Options
    Sidewalks are getting icy and here I am wearing cowboy boots and not snow/hiking boots.

• Options
    weather.com in the states has always been pretty blah as a web service, but I assume a lot of the apps out there are using it as the back-end - the UI is what makes the difference between usable and trash.

I got spoiled by Australia's BOM coverage, even 15 years ago they had some of the nicest interactive radar displays I've ever seen.

• Options
    It was snowing really heavily earlier, then it quit, the sun came out, and now my phone is all NEW WINTER STORM WARNING.

I think our weather folks are more like hype-men.

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    edited January 2020
    chromdom wrote: »
    Hey, what weather app, if any, do you all use?
    I got rid of my previous one (Weather Underground) because it wouldn't give me current weather without me refreshing it, and the one I picked as a replacement (Vegoo) doesn't seem to be very accurate.
    NOAA doesn't have an app, I guess, and I am not on twitter (twitter also would not put current weather on my homescreen), so I'm looking for something good, that will automatically refresh at intervals.

I just keep my NOAA weather.com local forecast page open in my phone's browser all the time

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    https://weatherwest.com/archives/7107

My favorite CA weather blog has posted an update, focus on tomorrow's storm and the upcoming couple weeks.

• Options
    Extremely rare tornado hit on the coast here. Luckily just a tiny one.

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    It snowed late last week and some of the snow was still around on areas where the sun barely gets to and on bare ground. It rained today making it messy. But seriously I can do without the loud exhaust and gunshots

• Options
    Brainleech wrote: »
    It snowed late last week and some of the snow was still around on areas where the sun barely gets to and on bare ground. It rained today making it messy. But seriously I can do without the loud exhaust and gunshots

:bigfrown:

This discussion has been closed.