As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[DCEU]: The Batman, The

• Options
    AlphaRomeroAlphaRomero Registered User regular
    There seems to be like 2 too many stories. There's origin, romance, half brother, introduction of Atlantis, introduction of like two other species and Black Manta.

• Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    Shazam looked really good. The phone charging and "you're dead" were good, but holy shit do they need to delete the backpack kid dance from the real movie immediately, post haste.

Aquaman looked fine, bonus points for fighting crab people. Mera looks nice and whatever CGI they did to highlight her hair was working. Kinda don't want to deal with kid Aquaman backstory though.

• Options
    TheBlackWindTheBlackWind Registered User regular
    TexiKen wrote: »
    Shazam looked really good. The phone charging and "you're dead" were good, but holy shit do they need to delete the backpack kid dance from the real movie immediately, post haste.

Aquaman looked fine, bonus points for fighting crab people. Mera looks nice and whatever CGI they did to highlight her hair was working. Kinda don't want to deal with kid Aquaman backstory though.

It makes perfect sense that a kid in an adult super body would be doing fortnite dances.

PAD ID - 328,762,218
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    I see kids doing that dance all the fucking time

• Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    It's kinda amusing to me that Aquaman is kinda black panther with Killmonger as the protagonist.

But yeah, both of those trailers show promise.

• Options
    Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Registered User regular
    Mera's hair looks too red, maybe?

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Aquaman looks pretty meh, but Marvel could be decent. Not MCU-grade, but watchable (so infinitely better than the last several DC films). Could be the start of a good direction for DC movies, finally.

• Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    Shazam at least looks like a movie with a strong idea of what it is. Aqua man looks pretty iffy.

• Options
    AlphaRomeroAlphaRomero Registered User regular

It makes perfect sense that a kid in an adult super body would be doing fortnite dances.

Not a kid without a steady home, console or smart phone. But my nephews do it all the time so it was a cute moment.

• Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular

Not a kid without a steady home, console or smart phone. But my nephews do it all the time so it was a cute moment.

A kid that goes to a public school though, where he'd absolutely get exposed to that.

• Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    Being poor doesn't mean you have zero exposure to pop culture.

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    I was watching videos about Final Fantasy and playing games in my high school computer lab twenty years ago, a kid attending modern public school would definitely likely have access to that stuff.

As a rule, kids are waaaay more proficient with technology than adults give them credit for.

• Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular

You think he's never gotten a round of Fortnite on a friend's phone? That seems pretty unlikely.

• Options
    That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
    I'm really digging the Shazam trailer. Pretty meh on the Aquaman trailer.

• Options
    ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    Aquaman's trailer feels like it's trying to be Thor 1-3 in terms of plot, plus a prologue/series of flashback sequences a la Man of Steel. Tone seems to be about Thor 2 level. Could be good, but it seems really overstuffed.

• Options
    AspectVoidAspectVoid Registered User regular
    From my perspective, Aquaman looks like a spectacle movie that if my friends said "hey, we're going to see Aquaman" I could go with them and not feel like it was a waste of money. Not necessarily a good movie, but probably worth the price of admission once for the big set pieces on a theater screen.

Shazam looks like Big with Superpowers. One of my earliest childhood memories is being with my parents in a theater watching Big, so it hits the right notes. But, it also doesn't seem like a movie that needs to be seen at a theater to fully experience. Probably more of a "wait for a rental" movie than a "go to the theater" movie for me.

PSN|AspectVoid
  • Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    edited July 2018
    Aquaman and Shazam both had impressive trailers. I liked Aquaman a bit more, Wan can do no wrong. That lightning bolt on Shazam's and Marvel's chests needs to be redone immediately. Zachary Levi looks up for the job for Captain Marvel, it's a pity Black Adam won't be in it. My speculation for Shazam is that
    Ivo absorbed or duplicated Marvel's power to give it to himself.

Harry Dresden on
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    the shazam trailer seems fun

aquaman is... meh? It seems like the kind of 'stranger in a strange land' origin that's been done a bunch of times in these films

but I dunno, I like Momoa so hopefully it's good

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    Shazam sold me. Zachary Levi and silly antics. I'm all in. I just hope the final product is as good as that trailer.

Also, why isn't Black Adam the villain? Don't they have Dwayne Johnson on retainer to play him? I would have loved to see Levi and Johnson acting opposite of each other.

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    VoodooVVoodooV Registered User regular
    edited July 2018
    Guess I'm in the minority. I loved Zack Levi in Chuck, but Shazam just seems too silly to me. It crossed that invisible line that I can't really define.

Meanwhile, Aquaman blew me away. I mean I know it's just classic no frills paint by numbers hero's journey and I certainly never expected to blown away by Aquaman, but that trailer hits all the right chords for me. Two Steps From Hell trailer music really sold it for me.

VoodooV on
  • Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    Meanwhile Yeen Titans Go to the Movies is sitting at 10 positive reviews on RT. Here's hoping that sticks.

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    edited July 2018
    VoodooV wrote: »
    Guess I'm in the minority. I loved Zack Levi in Chuck, but Shazam just seems too silly to me. It crossed that invisible line that I can't really define.

Meanwhile, Aquaman blew me away. I mean I know it's just classic no frills paint by numbers hero's journey and I certainly never expected to blown away by Aquaman, but that trailer hits all the right chords for me. Two Steps From Hell trailer music really sold it for me.

Actually, that's only half of Two Steps. One Step, maybe.
    :wink:

Commander Zoom on
  • Options
    tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular
    Jragghen wrote: »
    Meanwhile Yeen Titans Go to the Movies is sitting at 10 positive reviews on RT. Here's hoping that sticks.

Teen Titans cartoon Director - We've got another hit on our hands!
    DC - How Grim is it?
    Cartoon Director - Not Grim at all! People keep loving it being such fun!
    DC - Whats it about?
    Caroon Director - Well, its a movie about how fun comic properties have a hard time making it to the big screen with DC, and just lightheartedly making fun about how a lot of these characters really are for little kids
    DC - And, like, how many people does your team kill?
    Cartoon Director - Err, none?
    DC - Wow, eternal torture it is then! Thats super dark. And I bet this 'Starfire' is the cruelest of all! With her fire powers..
    Cartoon Director - Wait, I think you are missing...
    DC - I'm green lighting a live action show! I want it rated hard R, plenty of nudity, and lots of killing! Just the way you do best Teen Titans!

"That is cool" - Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    Well, I would like those Teen Titans anyway. They probably would only be them in name, so there's that, but it sounds great otherwise.

I doubt they'll deliver, though.

• Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    edited July 2018
    Shazam (the movie) looks cool. They cranked the dial wayyy in the opposite direction of Grimdark Murderkill, which is nice. Shazam (the character, or Captain Marvel, whatever the heck his name is) looks off to me, though. I don't have a problem with Zachary Levi, but it kind of just looks like Levi in a fake muscle suit walking around at comic con or something. It doesn't look like something from a big budget film.

Skull2185 on
    Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    I wouldn't be surprised if Shazam's budget was relatively small. Which wouldn't necessarily stop the movie from being good, mind. Deadpool was in the same situation, and it went over like gangbusters.

Then again, Deadpool is Deadpool. Shazam doesn't have quite the hook, or following. I'll have to agree with whoever said the trailer looked encouraging but nothing you'd want to shell out at the movie theater for.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    I wouldn't be surprised if Shazam's budget was relatively small. Which wouldn't necessarily stop the movie from being good, mind. Deadpool was in the same situation, and it went over like gangbusters.

Then again, Deadpool is Deadpool. Shazam doesn't have quite the hook, or following. I'll have to agree with whoever said the trailer looked encouraging but nothing you'd want to shell out at the movie theater for.

Shazam's 'hook' is hopefully that its a live action hero movie that both a 6 year old, a 16 year old, and a 36 year old can enjoy without any one of them feeling they are there solely to benefit the other. That doesn't mean 'a storyless mess for children' but that its a hopeful, uplifting story about doing the right thing, being brave, and learning to be a good person. Which is also solidly amusing and full of well shot (pleas for the love of pete keep the camera STILL) comic book action.

The one weakness that the DC universe has is that although kids clearly enjoy the movies, and kids are far more comfortable with sex, violence and death onscreen (and always have been) than adults give them credit for there isn't really a clear 'safe' onboarding point for parents to say "OK kids, here is where you, a 6 year old can join on to this franchise". Kids are left jumping onto secondary products and then just finding their way in from there. If DC is smart, they use Shazam as that onboarding point, a retarget the movies in a more hopeful and optimistic path going forward.

"That is cool" - Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    tbloxham wrote: »
    cloudeagle wrote: »

Shazam's 'hook' is hopefully that its a live action hero movie that both a 6 year old, a 16 year old, and a 36 year old can enjoy without any one of them feeling they are there solely to benefit the other. That doesn't mean 'a storyless mess for children' but that its a hopeful, uplifting story about doing the right thing, being brave, and learning to be a good person. Which is also solidly amusing and full of well shot (pleas for the love of pete keep the camera STILL) comic book action.

The one weakness that the DC universe has is that although kids clearly enjoy the movies, and kids are far more comfortable with sex, violence and death onscreen (and always have been) than adults give them credit for there isn't really a clear 'safe' onboarding point for parents to say "OK kids, here is where you, a 6 year old can join on to this franchise". Kids are left jumping onto secondary products and then just finding their way in from there. If DC is smart, they use Shazam as that onboarding point, a retarget the movies in a more hopeful and optimistic path going forward.
    Well... betting on WB/DC being "smart" is a bad bet most of the time.

Also, IIRC, it might be too late by then. Isn't both Aquaman and Wonder Woman 2 both for release first? Not that either look too objectionable to kids, and WW2 does at least have people not expecting a dumpster fire. But if both of those are bad, I can see people mentally/emotionally/financially checking out before Shazam hits the cinema.

• Options
    ShawnaseeShawnasee Registered User regular
    I just watched Justice League last week and it was far better than I thought it would be.

It was good enough for me to watch it again this past weekend.

I don't know what that says about me or the movie, but there it is...

• Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    Shawnasee wrote: »
    I just watched Justice League last week and it was far better than I thought it would be.

It was good enough for me to watch it again this past weekend.

I don't know what that says about me or the movie, but there it is...

I mean there are parts that are entertaining and the last act is a lot more solid than anything leading up to it.
    When everyone gets into their classic role a bit more with like Superman being everyone's cheerleader while saving the day.

As a whole it just felt unfinished.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    Batman from BvS to JL is just so jarring. He came this close to outright murdering Superman, and then suddenly "He was my best friend, I failed him. I wish he was here"

Like... what? My favorite bit was during the fight at the end
    Batman, on a ledge mowing down aliens with a gun. Then Supes shows up and he just stands there smiling at him like a schoolgirl staring at her crush.
    That was something else...

Though, I genuinely enjoyed Suicide Squad. Like, even more than Wonder Woman so I dunno... :rotate:

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    An accurate trailer:
    https://youtu.be/wnnCd3haipo

• Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    edited July 2018
    so wait am i alone in not knowing that there is a standalone JOAQUIN PHOENIX joker movie coming out next year????
    "I think the good movies work better. Somebody once said the best business strategy in motion pictures is quality," chairman of film at Warner Bros, Toby Emmerich mused.

"And I think in a world of Rotten Tomatoes and social media, what's been proven is the better the movie — particularly in the superhero genre — the better it performs. You can't hide the bacon anymore."

"the good movies work better" mindblowing realisations from warner bros this late in the game

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    Best Titans reaction I've seen:
    7au7fpsl68gt.jpeg

• Options
    Brutal JBrutal J Sorry! Sorry, I'm sorry. Sorry. Registered User regular
    so wait am i alone in not knowing that there is a standalone JOAQUIN PHOENIX joker movie coming out next year????
    "I think the good movies work better. Somebody once said the best business strategy in motion pictures is quality," chairman of film at Warner Bros, Toby Emmerich mused.

"And I think in a world of Rotten Tomatoes and social media, what's been proven is the better the movie — particularly in the superhero genre — the better it performs. You can't hide the bacon anymore."

"the good movies work better" mindblowing realisations from warner bros this late in the game

.... so they're not making a standalone joker movie? No wait, excuse me, they're not making TWO standalone joker movies with two different jokers? Cause that really conflicts with the above quote.

• Options
    AspectVoidAspectVoid Registered User regular
    Last I heard they were still making 2 stand alone joker movies, with the Joaquin one farther along in production.

PSN|AspectVoid
  • Options
    GaddezGaddez Registered User regular

oh my god your 95 years old as a studio how do you not get this i just my brain it hurts i think im bleeding from it pain pain pain black.

• Options
    I'm not OK with a Joker origin movie. But if they're doing multiple Joker movies, possibly as "origins", that's not so bad (unless the movies suck... which is highly likely with DC...). It would fit with the character's "who the fuck knows where he came from" mysterious origin.

• Options
    edited July 2018
    Isn't the implication in that quote that they have no idea what quality is, and will release as many movies as possible and let the public figure out which ones are good?

Doctor Detroit on
  • Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    I'm playing the Teen Titans Go Figure mobile game, and every woman in Metropolis is wearing a name tag that reads "Hi my name is Martha" when you challenge them to battle their name is listed as "a Martha" and when you defeat them they say "That's no way to treat a Martha!".

This discussion has been closed.