As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[DCEU]: The Batman, The

• EmperorSethEmperorSeth Registered User regular
    That_Guy wrote: »
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    Hang on -- this highly publicized movie is coming out Friday and there's no reviews on the Tuesday before?

The alarm bells are going off so loudly they could cause permanent hearing damage.

The same thing happened with Joker IIRC.

Nope, the review embargo lifted over a month before the movie came out. When they, y'know, entered it into a prestigious film festival. WB REALLY wanted people to talk about it.

This is the polar opposite.

Hmm, I swear I remember there being a recent DC move that the embargo only lifted a few days before the movie hit theaters.

Hmm. Justice League, maybe?

You know what? Nanowrimo's cancelled on account of the world is stupid.
  • KingofMadCowsKingofMadCows Registered User regular
    Batman v Superman's review embargo was lifted 3 or 4 days before release.

• jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    We literally had this discussion in the Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order thread a couple months ago. It's mostly just for stuff they don't want spoiled now. (There's an after-credits scene confirmed, and some spicy rumors about what's in it. But AFAIK, nobody's confirmed what the after credits scene is about.)

And also for media publishers don't think critics will like.

But correlation is not causality.

• GaddezGaddez Registered User regular
    Reviewers not getting early screening is a bit of a red flag for movie quality.

• Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    Eh the movie will stand on its own, no use wondering until people can see it

But given the history of DC I'm going in with a "this will very likely suck but I'm open to it being good" attitude like with Joker

But given the history of DC I'm going in with a "this will very likely suck but I'm open to it being good" attitude like with Joker

I'm curious what brings about this sense of optimism.

• Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    Idk being a Debbie downer all the time gets old and I'm willing to take each film on with it's own merits

I don't really look at things like Metacritic, Rotten Tomatoes or Reddit so I could care less what the masses think

• MorganVMorganV Registered User regular

The problem is, with the way movies are consumed now, it may get propped up as a result of the embargo.

We live in a world now where opening weekend isn't just one of the biggest incomes for the box office, it's pretty much the primary metric by which things are evaluated. Longevity at the cinemas used to be a sign of quality. Now, very few movies don't have a massive drop off between Week 1 and 2, and nearly none have any significant earnings past Week 3.

So, if people don't hear bad things about a movie in the weeks leading up to opening weekend, it's quite possible that they'll go in blind to the criticism. We like to think that we're much more connected now, and we are, but for things like this, we can be slow enough to pass by the weekend without checking reviews.

Especially if you might think that spoilers might be in play. Movie critics generally tend to avoid significant spoilers in their reviews. People on the internet spouting opinions, not so much.

• cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    If I were in charge of the DCEU right now, I'd go full ham and say Leto Joker is now Phoenix Joker.
    "Miss me, puddin'?"

wVEsyIc.png
  • klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    Gaddez wrote: »

Maybe that the last batch of DC movies haven't sucked?

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
    klemming wrote: »
    Gaddez wrote: »

Maybe that the last batch of DC movies haven't sucked?

The last few have tried to divorce themselves as much as possible from the snyderverse and this one is joined at the hip to one of the worst offerings from that era.

Further, I haven't seen any trailers or clips that have inferred that this is going to be a good movie, and we aren't even getting any advance screenings that would allay concerns.

So I'm having a really hard time expecting this to be particularly good.

• cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited February 2020
    jdarksun wrote: »
    We literally had this discussion in the Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order thread a couple months ago. It's mostly just for stuff they don't want spoiled now. (There's an after-credits scene confirmed, and some spicy rumors about what's in it. But AFAIK, nobody's confirmed what the after credits scene is about.)

The movie industry is very, very different from the video game industry. While perfectly good games have tight review embargos, it's hard to think of a well-received movie with an embargo that ended a day or two before release.

Ah well. I was cautiously optimistic for this one, but sometimes shit happens. WB's still in "anything goes" mode, which can result in good movies and bad. Looks like we're due for a bad one.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Mc zanyMc zany Registered User regular

The movie industry is very, very different from the video game industry. While perfectly good games have tight review embargos, it's hard to think of a well-received movie with an embargo that ended a day or two before release.

Avengers endgame.

Mc zany wrote: »

Avengers endgame.

Which was an extremely rare case where they actually did care about spoilers, and the movie had pretty much sold itself already over the last decade or so of buildup.

• That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
    Hang on -- this highly publicized movie is coming out Friday and there's no reviews on the Tuesday before?

The alarm bells are going off so loudly they could cause permanent hearing damage.

The same thing happened with Joker IIRC.

Nope, the review embargo lifted over a month before the movie came out. When they, y'know, entered it into a prestigious film festival. WB REALLY wanted people to talk about it.

This is the polar opposite.

Hmm, I swear I remember there being a recent DC move that the embargo only lifted a few days before the movie hit theaters.

Hmm. Justice League, maybe?

https://www.newsweek.com/birds-prey-review-embargo-first-reviews-dc-movie-margot-robbie-1485778

It was Aquaman that I was thinking about. The review embargo lifted December 11, the day before the film was released in cinemas.

edited February 2020
    Nevermind, they're already dropping.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NVf8mTtBF7k

TLDR Black Canary and Huntress are brilliant, but Harley steals the show. Action scenes are directed by John Wick's Chad Stahelski and are great. Structure is reminiscent of Pulp Fiction meets Deadpool. Whether you're intrigued by the cast and crew, R rated action, or just like comic book movies, you'll be very happy. 4/5.

Also text review here

jdarksun on
  • FryFry Registered User regular
    edited February 2020
    Action scenes are directed by John Wick's Chad Stahelski and are great.

The action in the "Hair Tie" clip on the last page was completely awful, I am not optimistic

Fry on
    Fry wrote: »
    The action in the "Hair Tie" clip on the last page was completely awful, I am not optimistic
    I think not being optimistic is probably a good thing? Like I want this movie to be awesome and do well, but c'mon, we've had some shit movies with cool concepts (or amazing trailers).

I prefer to listen to critics with similar tastes as mine - Dan Murrell & Roth Cornet and Rot Cornet from Fandom Entertainment both recommend it - but it seems like most critics dig it. 48 of the 52 reviews on RT are positive (92%).

• LegacyLegacy Stuck Somewhere In Cyberspace The Grid(Seattle)Registered User, ClubPA regular
    I literally just got an email about an early screening through wbtickets TONIGHT and hopped on passes. Will report back later.

Can we get the chemicals in. 'Cause anything's better than this.
  • That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
    edited February 2020
    Fry wrote: »
    I think not being optimistic is probably a good thing? Like I want this movie to be awesome and do well, but c'mon, we've had some shit movies with cool concepts (or amazing trailers).

I prefer to listen to critics with similar tastes as mine - Dan Murrell & Roth Cornet and Rot Cornet from Fandom Entertainment both recommend it - but it seems like most critics dig it. 48 of the 52 reviews on RT are positive (92%).

Nice, it's sitting at an 89% right now. That's a marked improvement over the 27% that Suicide Squad got. I may actually go see it in theaters.

That_Guy on
  • ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    Saw this, was pretty good. Nothing amazing but decent fun with a few really good fight scenes. Made me want a Harley Quinn brawler game

Anyone catch the post credits scene I missed it

• HandkorHandkor Registered User regular
    I don't care what the reviews say, just gimme some Harley Quinn. I've always liked the character.

The trailers do make it look fun too.

• cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    Prohass wrote: »
    Saw this, was pretty good. Nothing amazing but decent fun with a few really good fight scenes. Made me want a Harley Quinn brawler game

Anyone catch the post credits scene I missed it

I will be very disappointed if it's anything but Amanda Waller locking her back down.

wVEsyIc.png
  • LegacyLegacy Stuck Somewhere In Cyberspace The Grid(Seattle)Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Solid 6.5/7 movie. Nothing groundbreaking, but a fun time. Definitely more of a Harley Quinn movie than a BoP movie. McGregor looked like he was having so much fun with his part.

Dont stay till the end of the credits.
    Literally is just Harleys voice coming on trolling something super secret and says "batman is really
    ..." then her voice cuts out and the movie ends.

However, there was a Hudson Hawk reference that hit me hard and I'll always love the movie for that.

Can we get the chemicals in. 'Cause anything's better than this.
  • ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    If Robbie and McGregor both look like they're having a bunch of fun, I can call that a win. The DCEU is in this weird place right now, there's likely(?) a hard reset coming, but they're still making new movies.

So, screw it, have fun with what you're doing and don't worry about the fallout because even if you do great they might axe it all anyway.

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    Tox wrote: »
    If Robbie and McGregor both look like they're having a bunch of fun, I can call that a win. The DCEU is in this weird place right now, there's likely(?) a hard reset coming, but they're still making new movies.

So, screw it, have fun with what you're doing and don't worry about the fallout because even if you do great they might axe it all anyway.

The only issue for me is that one of the selling points for me on the MCU is the interconnectivity. They went 10 years, and really had no significant turnover (Norton to Ruffalo, if you want to count the pre-Iron Man Hulks? Rhodey being the only one I can think of since).

Whereas the DCEU is going to be on it's second Superman, second Batman, second Flash and second Joker*, in 7 years.
    * Not counting Phoenix, but are they really going to bring back Leto? No way Joker isn't going to continue to be a part of the DCEU.

Which makes the intermixing of the old, and the new, feel real frustrating. I thought WW and Aq were both decent movies (and loved Shazam), but everything else, I wouldn't want to rewatch.

Also doesn't help that DC is running concurrently on TV and cinema. Marvel do both too, but they tend to keep what's on one, separate from what's on the other, so that there's no overlap. It's hard not to make comparisons across the various mediums with DC.

Just for the record, while I do prefer Marvel as a whole, I really like some aspects of DC. Arrowverse is decent enough, and I'm liking Titans (and Doom Patrol is my favorite TV show across both franchises, at least to this point in it's run). But the movie side is just so erratic it's hard to really enjoy them, as they're supposed to be connected, but a few are just hot garbage, in a way the worst Marvel movies aren't (Thor 2, yeah, it's slow, but I'd watch it ahead of half the DCEU movies).

Not sure if it's possible to fix it without a hard reboot, and I'm not sure how they manage that.

• ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    Yeah, I definitely feel that. I very recently watched Justice League for the first time and it was ... fine? Like, I guess? It wasn't even remotely good, but it was fine.

DC has definitely excelled far better on its TV shows, and I'm cool with that, and I get to see the occasional one-off movie. So that's fine too.

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac

I don't know how they're going to do it, but I imagine the plan is to keep what they have that worked(Gadot, Mamoa), and reinvent what didn't(Bats and Supes).

How, I'm sure I don't know, especially given Diana and Batfleck's chemistry. I guess dimensional shenanigans, but it won't be the same.

wVEsyIc.png
  • SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    edited February 2020
    Agreed. They should just fully embrace what they want to while discarding the rest (keep Shazam too). Then in the various films they can kind of loosely acknowledge the weirdness and possibly build to some sort of Crisis-related event that ultimately explains why things keep changing. They've already kind of started down this path by having Ezra Miller's Flash cameo on the CW show.

edit: Bonus points if they eventually bring Battfleck back as a villain as the Flashpoint Batman.

SatanIsMyMotor on
  • daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular
    cj iwakura wrote: »

I don't know how they're going to do it, but I imagine the plan is to keep what they have that worked(Gadot, Mamoa), and reinvent what didn't(Bats and Supes).

How, I'm sure I don't know, especially given Diana and Batfleck's chemistry. I guess dimensional shenanigans, but it won't be the same.

It's sad that they're changing Batman and Superman. Battfleck wasn't horrible and Cavill had some good performances in Justice League once he was unchained from the grimdark. A Shazam/Superman buddy movie with Cavill and whatshisname would have been pretty great. Pretty sure that Cavill is happier doing The Witcher at this point though. Personally I didn't like Ezra Miller's weird neurotic Flash. Gustin's Flash would have had much more interesting and fun interactions with all the other characters, but I understand the various reasons they didn't use him. Don't make it right, but I can understand.

Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to get it!
  • Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    I was legit not prepared for Birds of Prey to be good. I was expecting a mild improvement over Suicide Squad, which it very much appears to be Part 2 of.

Oh brilliant
    Huh. Wonder why WB's so gun-shy with the DC movies that turn out okay.

• BizazedoBizazedo Registered User regular
    I have an opportunity to see it tonight. I guess I'll go since y'all said it was acceptable.

Last night there were zero tickets sold for tonight, though.

XBL: Bizazedo
    PSN: Bizazedo
    CFN: Bizazedo (I don't think I suck, add me).
  • DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    Huh. Wonder why WB's so gun-shy with the DC movies that turn out okay.

It's WB. If a movie is good it is pretty likely that the suits who control the company somehow got kept away from it long enough they couldn't fuck it up. Strangely they don't like to be shown to be horrible at their jobs.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
    I was legit not prepared for Birds of Prey to be good. I was expecting a mild improvement over Suicide Squad, which it very much appears to be Part 2 of.

Despite how fun it is to hate on Suicide Squad, the film was a massive success, so it's no surprise they're embracing it. Heck, I liked it too.

wVEsyIc.png
  • LordSolarMachariusLordSolarMacharius Red wine with fish Registered User regular
    edited February 2020
    MorganV wrote: »
    The only issue for me is that one of the selling points for me on the MCU is the interconnectivity. They went 10 years, and really had no significant turnover (Norton to Ruffalo, if you want to count the pre-Iron Man Hulks? Rhodey being the only one I can think of since).

It's not important, but I myself am always surprised to remember that Iron Man did come out a month before The Incredible Hulk.

(Unless you're talking about Eric Bana's Hulk but that's not MCU...)

LordSolarMacharius on
  • jothkijothki Registered User regular
    Whereas the DCEU is going to be on it's second Superman, second Batman, second Flash and second Joker*, in 7 years.
    * Not counting Phoenix, but are they really going to bring back Leto? No way Joker isn't going to continue to be a part of the DCEU.

Pondering the semi-canonicity of the Joker movie just gave me a weird idea. How about a Riddler movie where the big plot twist is that Batman is someone other than Bruce Wayne?

• FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    jothki wrote: »

Pondering the semi-canonicity of the Joker movie just gave me a weird idea. How about a Riddler movie where the big plot twist is that Batman is someone other than Bruce Wayne?

Make The Bat Cassandra Cain, and have her completely noselling the Riddler, because she doesn't work on that level.

• BizazedoBizazedo Registered User regular
    Just got back from Birds of Prey. It was not good.

It's not really Birds of Prey, it's Harley Quinn, Black Canary, some cop who's barely in it, and oh I guess Huntress can show up briefly. That surfaced a bit prior to the release, but the comments on Twitter (from people who loved it? Why?!) undersold it a bit. It's a shame, too, as Winstead was good the very brief time she was on screen.

The actress for Cassandra Cain was terrible.

There was one decent / good fight scene. The one from the hair tie clip was not it.

The biggest sin is that it's boring as hell for the first....I don't want to say half, but maybe third of the movie?

Don't want to go into spoilers, but....oof.

The theater it was in was huge. It was myself, my two friends, and maybe 10 other people. No one was there.

XBL: Bizazedo
    PSN: Bizazedo
    CFN: Bizazedo (I don't think I suck, add me).
This discussion has been closed.