As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[DCEU]: The Batman, The

• Options
    That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
    Don’t even reboot, just have Clark turn off the branding scene on the huge bat-monitor and turn to Bruce.

“These are terrible! Who funds these things?”

“It’s no coincidence Lex Corps. snapped up that film company. Let’s go have a chat with Luther.”

I read that in the voices of Tim Daly and Kevin Conroy.

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    It's Luthor, folks. Lex. Luthor.

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    MorganV wrote: »
    Don’t even reboot, just have Clark turn off the branding scene on the huge bat-monitor and turn to Bruce.

“These are terrible! Who funds these things?”

“It’s no coincidence Lex Corps. snapped up that film company. Let’s go have a chat with Luther.”

I'm not sure that the general audience would buy it, but I think it's an awesome take that the terrible movies are mostly propoganda by LutherCorp. Though it would be hard to justify them making Lex look like a raging dickhead in BvS.

But it'd easily explain why the new Batman and Superman don't look like the previous ones. Cause the previous ones were just 'actors'.

Honestly, if they were to try and recover the franchise by pitching the current group as the Justice Lords and we get a good DCU from them invading the Justice League dimension, that would legit be a pretty incredible maneuver and I would watch it in a heartbeat.

Especially if it has a bit with an awesome Luthor beating up the lame Luthor for his lunch money, while the Justice League stands around watching because they really aren't sure what the situation calls for.

• Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    Wonder Woman '84 is pushed back from November 1, 2019 to June 5, 2020.

Something something lines up with release date of the original movie summer blockbuster but it could have done just as well in November too.

But Phoenix's Joker movie is still scheduled for October of '19.

• Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    Smart, WW dodges the Marvel movies earlier in the year.

• Options
    daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular
    It's Luthor, folks. Lex. Luthor.

But now I'm thinking about Idris Elba in the role, so that's not all bad. Not that he'd be able to do much with how stupid every movie Luthor role has been.

Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to get it!
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    The Joker movie (you know, the Joaquin Phoenix one, not the 47 Jared Leto ones in the works) has cast Bruce Wayne and Alfred Pennyworth, because fuck it, it's pretty much Gotham: the TV show: the movie already.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    What are the odds that Joker kills Bruce's parents? Is there anything more likely than one to one?

If they wanted to really surprise people, he could kill Bruce instead, and set up Earth #whatever number it is where it's Thomas as Batman.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
    klemming wrote: »
    What are the odds that Joker kills Bruce's parents? Is there anything more likely than one to one?

If they wanted to really surprise people, he could kill Bruce instead, and set up Earth #whatever number it is where it's Thomas as Batman.

In a stunning twist, Joaquin plays Martha Wayne.

• Options
    AlphaRomeroAlphaRomero Registered User regular
    So Joker will already be dead by the time he is Batman?

• Options
    SlortexSlortex In my chairRegistered User regular
    This version of the Joker has Benjamin Button disease?

• Options
    RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    Slortex wrote: »
    This version of the Joker has Benjamin Button disease?

Now now, we don't know he's going to be boring yet

Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    It's happening. From the Teen Titans Go to the Movies Blu-ray:

https://youtu.be/AwDIZT3XbjQ

• Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    Neat, but kinda not what people were expecting/wanting.

• Options
    Per elsethread: they don't care.

• Options
    This might be a testing the waters kind of thing, where if it does well we could get an OG Titans show.

Or maybe it'll just be a fun one-off a la the times the Ninja Turtles meet different versions of themselves.

• Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    This is Grace Randolph so grain of salt because youtube nerd hype, but she's been better than John Campea. Supposedly the real reason for the WW84 delay is to make the film take in some Flashpoint elements and be a soft reboot of the DCEU to be somewhat like Days of Future Past was for the X-Men movies.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jbsDpFMXB_8

There's some iffy stuff, and I laugh that Flashpoint is iconic or classic (Chuck Austen's Uncanny X-Men is iconic then), but we've already seen Steve Trevor being in 1984 for some reason so there seems to exist the time travel element already.

But time travel, *shudder*

• Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    This might be a testing the waters kind of thing, where if it does well we could get an OG Titans show.

Or maybe it'll just be a fun one-off a la the times the Ninja Turtles meet different versions of themselves.

Do they need to? Teen Titans has been proven to be a successful cartoon years back, and the appetite for the franchise has been maintained through various cartoons like Young Justice and Teen Titans Go. I don't think they would need to proof of concept to get that green lit.

• Options
    GaddezGaddez Registered User regular
    TexiKen wrote: »
    This is Grace Randolph so grain of salt because youtube nerd hype, but she's been better than John Campea. Supposedly the real reason for the WW84 delay is to make the film take in some Flashpoint elements and be a soft reboot of the DCEU to be somewhat like Days of Future Past was for the X-Men movies.

There's some iffy stuff, and I laugh that Flashpoint is iconic or classic (Chuck Austen's Uncanny X-Men is iconic then), but we've already seen Steve Trevor being in 1984 for some reason so there seems to exist the time travel element already.

It can't make things any worse at this juncture.

• Options
    Have Flash show up in multiple films, making changes, then leaving.
    Then the Flash movie is just all of those scenes stitched together.

• Options
    Christ. You don't have to Flashpoint all your other movies to reboot things! Just make a movie with a different script direction and different actors! No one was confused as to why Nolan's Batman didn't have Schumaker's Bat-nipples! The time you're spending explaining why you're less murdery is time you could be spending making a better movie!

...why is it that WB has so little respect for comic books yet is slavishly devoted to the details in comic books?

• Options
    BigJoeMBigJoeM Registered User regular
    Christ. You don't have to Flashpoint all your other movies to reboot things! Just make a movie with a different script direction and different actors! No one was confused as to why Nolan's Batman didn't have Schumaker's Bat-nipples! The time you're spending explaining why you're less murdery is time you could be spending making a better movie!

...why is it that WB has so little respect for comic books yet is slavishly devoted to the details in comic books?

Because it doesn't understand that Marvel/Disney's success is based on good characters and direction first and all the continuity stuff is the icing on top.

WB thinks all it needs is the icing without remembering you need to bake a proper cake first.

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    I realize they have set it up completely differently, but Marvel is about to us time travel as well

• Options

This only works if it's a plug pull, something that I see as being essential to the well being of a stable DCEU.

The catch with doing so though, is that you need to effectively dustbin everything you've done up to this point.

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    Gaddez wrote: »

time travel always makes things worse

unless it's in a comedy

• Options
    Xaquin wrote: »

time travel always makes things worse

unless it's in a comedy

Only all those other times. This time I'm sure it'll turn out well!

(Time travel radically improved Marty McFly's life, and that of his family. Eventually.)

And for all that they whine about it causing disaster on The Flash, it has at least averted a tsunami and magical nuke, so I'd take the tradeoff that their personal lives sucked a bit more in return for them still having their lives.

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    no I mean it always makes the movie worse

• Options
    ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    I realize they have set it up completely differently, but Marvel is about to us time travel as well

Yeah, when I realized that Marvel was about to pull a Flashpoint on us before DC did actual Flashpoint (in film, anyway--and the TV version was all right but didn't live up to the potential of the premise) and probably do it better...

• Options
    KingofMadCowsKingofMadCows Registered User regular
    Pretty much all of these youtubers claiming to have to sources are BS. And Grace Randolph is one of the worst, peddling that idiotic Disney paying for anti-DC campaign conspiracy theory.

• Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
  • Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    How are his feet getting into those dolphins?

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular

You can get anything into a dolphin if you try hard enough.

• Options
    edited October 2018

You can get anything into a dolphin if you try hard enough.

Just ask a male dolphin.

Commander Zoom on
  • Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    James Gunn is going to write the next Suicide Squad movie and is in talks to potentially direct it as well.

Its not going to be a sequel, but an "entirely new take". Which means that they are rebooting Suicide Squad for a do-over with James Gunn.

• Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    Viskod wrote: »
    James Gunn is going to write the next Suicide Squad movie and is in talks to potentially direct it as well.

Its not going to be a sequel, but an "entirely new take". Which means that they are rebooting Suicide Squad for a do-over with James Gunn.

New actors? At least keep Robbie and Smith.

• Options
    RickRudeRickRude Registered User regular
    They'll keep rebooting the movies starting from scratch, have 3 different jokers, yet the TV shows aren't allowed to use certain characters because they might get confused by multiple iterations of the same character according to the movie side. Awesome. Just awesome.

• Options
    Jettisoning Smith would be a really good idea since he was less deadshot in the last movie and more "will smith with guns and a shitty eyepiece."

• Options
    MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    RickRude wrote: »
    They'll keep rebooting the movies starting from scratch, have 3 different jokers, yet the TV shows aren't allowed to use certain characters because they might get confused by multiple iterations of the same character according to the movie side. Awesome. Just awesome.

Yeah, I know it's a little petty, but I held some resentment for Suicide Squad after they killed off Arrowverse Deadshot because of it. Because Michael Rowe did an awesome job IMO, and didn't deserve to have a job axed because the movie division are incompetent assholes.

Not that Suicide Squad needed my resentment for that. It was more than capable of earning that all on it's own.

• Options
    Also: Axing smith would put to bed the rumors of Jaden being cast for static shock.

• Options
    daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular
    Jettisoning Smith would be a really good idea since he was less deadshot in the last movie and more "will smith with guns and a shitty eyepiece."

And Will Smith basically just plays Will Smith, so either someone at WB wanted that to be the character or just didn't care and wanted a big name star.

Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to get it!
This discussion has been closed.