As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[DCEU]: The Batman, The

• Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    Tox wrote: »
    If they're gonna do a Batman reboot they should do a Bond-style opening. Cold open of someone trying to pull off some sort of heist or something, chase scene, then BAM the Bat shows up, and immediately foils the plans, cops finally catch up and the bad guys are all wrapped up and waiting.

Sounds familiar ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-XJ3HJXxDwc

• Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    Also honestly at this point if they have to do a "young Bruce/Batman" themed movie, they should do like Daredevil and have the costume not even show up until the big final fight, just using random/generic ninja stuff to start with, and slowly upgrading over the course of the movie, until you get the full reveal of the Batsuit right at the start of the big fight.

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    GaddezGaddez Registered User regular
    Nothing would make me happier then DC announcing a ten year moratorium on batman so that they can develop other characters for film.

• Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    If they're gonna do a Batman reboot they should do a Bond-style opening. Cold open of someone trying to pull off some sort of heist or something, chase scene, then BAM the Bat shows up, and immediately foils the plans, cops finally catch up and the bad guys are all wrapped up and waiting.
    Burton's Batman (1989) opened with Batman foiling some bad guys. At this point I think all the obvious openings have been done, sometimes more than once.

• Options
    StempyStempy Registered User regular
    Burton's Batman (1989) opened with Batman foiling some bad guys. At this point I think all the obvious openings have been done, sometimes more than once.

Okay. How about...
    Bruce Wayne dancing around the batcave as he pulls on his various parts of the bat-suit, while the batcomputer blares haddaway’s ‘what is love?’.
    He turns round to Alfred to say this is the third night in a row of impressive cat burglaries and as the mask goes on he says “don’t wait up”.

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited June 2019
    Lego Batman had the best opening -- he beats the stuffing out of every single one of his villains while rocking out.

https://youtu.be/u-u9JeG5Ii8

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    Welp, it's happening.

https://youtu.be/1XPG2xEEOmo

• Options
    edited June 2019
    Oh, forgot one of the best parts of the announcement. This movie will also feature the return of
    Darkseid.
    The one voiced by Weird Al.

cloudeagle on
  • Options
    More changes at the Flash movie! Now Andy Muschietti (both Its) will direct, with Christina Hodson (Bumblebee, Birds of Prey) writing. So who the hell knows if it'll be fun or dark or blorg.

Ezra Miller, for all his attempts to throw his weight around, is still Flash.

• Options
    Kipling217Kipling217 Registered User regular
    Gaddez wrote: »
    TehSpectre wrote: »
    Looks like Joel "I'm more wooden than oak" Kinneman will be reprising his role as Flagg in the next Suicide Squad.

I really can't blame him for the atrocity that was SS.

It's not all on him, certainly, but the fact that he had negative chemistry with the gal that's so important to him that he's willing to work with a bunch of villains to keep her safe did certainly dampen my expectations for the rest of the proceedings.

He seemed more emotionally attached to that chicken bone he gnawed on in the Comfort Suites than he ever was to June Moone.

Weeeeelll, she was played by Cara Delevingne, an actress with limited experience and questionable talent. Her default expression is the fashion model resting bitch face( I.e. look like the fact that people watching you is something you find disgusting).

Who also played the main villain(which she spent most of her time portraying) as a spasmotic weirdo with limited understanding of how to walk.

The sky was full of stars, every star an exploding ship. One of ours.
  • Options
    Descendant XDescendant X Skyrim is my god now. Outpost 31Registered User regular
    edited July 2019
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    Ezra Miller, for all his attempts to throw his weight around, is still Flash.

Good. Now I know I’m not even remotely interested in seeing it.

Descendant X on
    Garry: I know you gentlemen have been through a lot, but when you find the time I'd rather not spend the rest of the winter TIED TO THIS FUCKING COUCH!
  • Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    Kipling217 wrote: »
    Looks like Joel "I'm more wooden than oak" Kinneman will be reprising his role as Flagg in the next Suicide Squad.

It's not all on him, certainly, but the fact that he had negative chemistry with the gal that's so important to him that he's willing to work with a bunch of villains to keep her safe did certainly dampen my expectations for the rest of the proceedings.

He seemed more emotionally attached to that chicken bone he gnawed on in the Comfort Suites than he ever was to June Moone.

Weeeeelll, she was played by Cara Delevingne, an actress with limited experience and questionable talent. Her default expression is the fashion model resting bitch face( I.e. look like the fact that people watching you is something you find disgusting).

Who also played the main villain(which she spent most of her time portraying) as a spasmotic weirdo with limited understanding of how to walk.

My default position is that any movie with Cara Delevingne is not going to be good.

• Options
    MorganVMorganV Registered User regular

My default position is that any movie with Cara Delevingne is not going to be good.

She's really looking like she's the current generation's Milla Jovovich.

Need to find Cara a role where being a relatively wooden and awkward character with little depth and almost no dialogue, is the focus. Cause Milla at least had Fifth Element.

• Options
    Kipling217Kipling217 Registered User regular
    MorganV wrote: »

Need to find Cara a role where being a relatively wooden and awkward character with little depth and almost no dialogue, is the focus. Cause Milla at least had Fifth Element.

Did you just compare Cara to Milla Jovovich? Cause thems fighting words bitch! Milla is leagues above Cara without even trying. The Fifth Element is her career highlight sure, but she actually has several critically praised supporting roles on her resume and she manages to carry the Resident Evil movie franchise on her shoulders without falling into Direct to video. Nobody was watching them for her husbands directing.

The sky was full of stars, every star an exploding ship. One of ours.
  • Options

Did you just compare Cara to Milla Jovovich? Cause thems fighting words bitch! Milla is leagues above Cara without even trying. The Fifth Element is her career highlight sure, but she actually has several critically praised supporting roles on her resume and she manages to carry the Resident Evil movie franchise on her shoulders without falling into Direct to video. Nobody was watching them for her husbands directing.

*breaks bottle on edge of bar* COME AT ME, BRO!

Hey, I thought she was decent in Fifth Element. But the Resident Evil movies were garbage.

And I didn't know much about Hellboy until I was watching it, other than Harbour taking the main role, and Dae Kim replacing Skrein because whitewashing. Ian McShane showing up was awesome. And the movie wasn't great. But as soon as Milla showed up, I knew the movie was gonna take a nosedive, and it did.

I haven't seen much of her body of work, admittedly. But that's because I haven't seen her elevate a work she's been in. And would she have been cast in as much as she has, if it wasn't for her directing husband? That he gets any work is proof there is no justice.

That he's apparently in charge of bringing one of my favorite reads (Painted Man) of the last decade to the big screen, makes me feel completely underwhelmed. Though it's been a decade (optioned in 2009), and there's no more news, so it looks like it might have died in developmental hell. Yay!

But we're getting way off topic. Back to the bar fight...

• Options
    KruiteKruite Registered User regular

*breaks bottle on edge of bar* COME AT ME, BRO!

Hey, I thought she was decent in Fifth Element. But the Resident Evil movies were garbage.

And I didn't know much about Hellboy until I was watching it, other than Harbour taking the main role, and Dae Kim replacing Skrein because whitewashing. Ian McShane showing up was awesome. And the movie wasn't great. But as soon as Milla showed up, I knew the movie was gonna take a nosedive, and it did.

I haven't seen much of her body of work, admittedly. But that's because I haven't seen her elevate a work she's been in. And would she have been cast in as much as she has, if it wasn't for her directing husband? That he gets any work is proof there is no justice.

That he's apparently in charge of bringing one of my favorite reads (Painted Man) of the last decade to the big screen, makes me feel completely underwhelmed. Though it's been a decade (optioned in 2009), and there's no more news, so it looks like it might have died in developmental hell. Yay!

But we're getting way off topic. Back to the bar fight...

I think Milla's best work was in the Jean of Arc movie.

• Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    I'd say Milla Jovovich is a far better actress than Cara Delevingne.

Milla Jovovich can do stunts and sell an action scene.

Cara Delevigne can't sell anything.

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    In case you were wondering, the WB streaming thing, dubbed HBO Max, will have DC stuff, but it won't affect the DC streaming service, or the smattering of DC shows and cartoons on CW Seed.

....I swear they're trying to make it as difficult as possible.

• Options
    That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
  • Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    Jennifer Lawrence doesn't have Milla Jovovich's action movie chops. Not a fair comparison.

Then you've got the folks that are next level, like Michelle Yeoh, who at 56 still makes everyone around her look like they're in a highschool play in action scenes.

• Options
    Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Registered User regular
    That_Guy wrote: »
    Oh oh. Boss battle. Milla Jovovich vs Jennifer Lawrence.

Whoever wins...we lose.

• Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    After seeimg her in Legion , I'm curious how Aubrey Plaza would do in an action flick

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    Doom Patrol got renewed for Season 2! Also Titans I guess. And the Harley Show looks like it might be great?

• Options
    jdarksun wrote: »
    Doom Patrol got renewed for Season 2! Also Titans I guess. And the Harley Show looks like it might be great?

And another season of Young Justice.

• Options
    jdarksun wrote: »

Best news I've heard today. I teally don't know how much damage I would have done if it'd been cancelled.

• Options
    I know there's already an Arrowverse thread, but if you aren't watching, it's officially time to start paying attention to their Crisis on Infinite Earths event. The casting is just fucking bananapants.
    Tom Welling as his Smallville Superman
    Lynda Carter as her Wonder Woman
    Brandon Routh (Superman Returns) as Kingdom Come Superman
    Burt Ward (Batman '66) as Batman
    Kevin Conroy (animated Batman) as old Bruce Wayne

...and lord only knows who else.

• Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    I know there's already an Arrowverse thread, but if you aren't watching, it's officially time to start paying attention to their Crisis on Infinite Earths event. The casting is just fucking bananapants.

Wait, isn't Routh already there as as someone else? Are they going to address that, or just ignore it? Honestly I'd be fine with the latter.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular

That's a crazy enough list that (schedules and contracts permitting) I could see them managing to get some of the DCU actors/actresses on board. That cast list looks fun.

Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to get it!
  • Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    Hey! Conroy as old Bruce Wayne was my ingenious idea!

• Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    daveNYC wrote: »

That's a crazy enough list that (schedules and contracts permitting) I could see them managing to get some of the DCU actors/actresses on board. That cast list looks fun.

This one had popped into my head earlier. If they could afford him. Henry Cavill as...
    Superboy-Prime. AKA the super edgy evil murder Superman.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    Ultra Man or bust!

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    I guess this thing really does exist.

https://youtu.be/zAGVQLHvwOY

• Options
    Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Registered User regular
    Oh god, why does it look like they’re going for the
    V for Vendetta thing but with clown masks?

• Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    'Tis a fine movie, but sure it is no Joker english.

That is to say, looks like a fine movie, but Joker the Batman villain? Nope.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
    'Tis a fine movie, but sure it is no Joker english.

That is to say, looks like a fine movie, but Joker the Batman villain? Nope.

I would bet that a significant portion of the film is going to be him doing Joker stuff. I think the origin stuff we're seeing in the trailer is just the first half of the film. That scene of him on a subway donning the mask is probably him doing joker stuff.

• Options
    ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    edited August 2019
    The trailers are speaking to me of another time, a time when comic book movies were seen as shameful, little better than a B-movie with a bit more budget, where the only way to get a respectable actor or director on such a picture was to pay them above their asking price and/or let them adapt the concept as loosely as possible.

This applies both to the story it appears to be telling and the politics it intentionally or unintentionally is evoking.

Shadowen on
  • Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    I think it looks great

A far cry from the low point of Leto Joker

• Options
    I feel nothing for this movie at all beyond mild annoyance. Like, putting aside how I don't care about batman, this feels like way too much like WB has decided to try and do a character piece to go trolling for Oscars.

• Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    I feel nothing for this movie at all beyond mild annoyance. Like, putting aside how I don't care about batman, this feels like way too much like WB has decided to try and do a character piece to go trolling for Oscars.

The idea that any hero movie would win a legit Oscar (like Best Picture or Best Actor and not another best costume/make-up) is a laugh

If Logan gets snubbed, so does this

• Options

The idea that any hero movie would win a legit Oscar (like Best Picture or Best Actor and not another best costume/make-up) is a laugh

If Logan gets snubbed, so does this

Doesn't mean that Warner brothers aren't trying for it.

This discussion has been closed.