As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Abusive Family Kicking Me Out

SkutSkutSkutSkut Registered User regular
My mom and sisters are trying to drive me out of the house after years of abuse and now I am almost homeless.

My sisters have been emotionally and physically abusive for years now and it has started getting worse.
They've throw things at me, shoved me, blocked doorways and yelled at me and when I tell my mom about it she says they're just playing. I have been repeatedly mocked for simple things like having to use the bathroom.

My mom has told me she would help me learn to drive, talk to people for me or help in other ways and never does then acts like I haven't asked.

If I say anything about this they act like I'm being aggressive with them and try to make me feel bad about voicing my opinion.

I have been extremely anxious the past few days, too afraid to leave my room or the house.

It has been hard to write this due to anxiety and fear of them finding it and I have almost deleted it several times but I need help.

I live in the middle of nowhere with no car and I have not been taught many of the things I need to be independant.

I am in Cairo, Georgia USA. If anyone has a place or anything else let me know.

• bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    How old are you? I assume at least 18?

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
    I probably should've asked more questions:

Do you currently have a job? Friends you could crash with for the time being? Are you in school? Can you give us a walk through what you're doing right now outside of your abusive family? Does your area have access to a public transit system? Do you live close enough to anywhere that does? Do you own a bicycle?

I'm trying to get a whole picture on how to best advise you. A lot of this is going to require some $$$$ up front though.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • SkutSkutSkutSkut Registered User regular
    I don't have a job right now, there's no public transport, right now I'm trying to get as much money as I can through fundraising, I'm asking friends if they have room but so far no go. The closest shelter I would walk to is about 35 miles away. No bicycle.

edited June 2018
    I don't really have a great solution to this predicament unfortunately. You're going to need a car to get a job, and you're going to need a job to get an apartment and this all hinges on the car and being able to drive unfortunately.

You can get around this by living in a fairly large city. Jacksonville looks like it might be a better bet than Atlanta tbh. You may have to take a bus. Sell practically everything you own and can part with. You need to get yourself down to a duffel bag or suitcase at the largest. You'll likely need to stay at a homeless shelter, and your stuff might get stolen. You also need to find a credit union or a bank with no requirements on a minimum deposit or account amount and open an account so you can keep your money safe.

Your other option, though it's not so great for some, is enlistment in the military. But they will provide the basics of room, board, and training. You'll also get a bit of money to save up and do things, and once you're out of basic you might even be able to get a stipend and live off base after a while.

Once you've got some sort of roof over your head, you can worry about the rest.

bowen on
  • XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    most credit unions (in maryland at least) only require a $5 deposit.

• SkutSkutSkutSkut Registered User regular
    I have found something, thanks for the help and kind words everyone. This thread can be closed or deleted now.

• zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    edited June 2018
    First off breathe. Things will be alright, they are going to suck for a little, but we'll work through it.

I'm going to be honest Cairo Georgia is not a great place to be if you need to get a job or be homeless. If you can get a bus ticket to Savannah, Jacksonville, any other big city, they generally have shelters and support systems to help you out.

Here are things you need to do right fucking now.
    Make sure you have a drivers license or govt issued ID and make sure it is current.
    Gain control of your birth certificate, social security card and/or passport.
    These 2 things you need so you can work.

Things to do in the next couple of days
    Make sure you have a go bag.
    Make sure you have control of all of your currency.
    Establish a plan on where to go and where you can stay.
    Plan on getting a low skill job, I would suggest outside of Cairo, the poverty rate and unemployment are way outside of the norm. Rural areas suck for support for people in your situation.

Now, is your family giving you ultimatums saying get the fuck out of the house or else?

You have a presumptive legal right to stay there and until you are "evicted" you don't have to leave, but they can make your life super miserable and vice-versa until you leave. If you can, you might want to see if you can do college or military. Both of those options will provide you with a roof over your head. If neither of those are options, maybe negotiate. If you have a plan and a job lined up and you are ready to hit the bricks, you can say for 600 bucks I'll be out the door.

zepherin on
  • IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    I'm going to lock this on @SkutSkut's request above. Please PM me/ceres or any other mod if you'd like it reopened, and good luck finding somewhere safe to stay.

This discussion has been closed.