Options

Live. Die. [Movie]. Repeat.

19596979899101»

• Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    Gustav wrote: »
    Yeah, the potential splash damage here is quite frightening.

Normally I wouldn't really care about this. Advocating against X response because of what might potentially be the worse case scenario later isn't a great argument.

Trouble is, we know this group, and we have a pretty good idea of what this will empower them to do going forward. And now that this is quickly becoming the norm, it's going to become harder and harder to argue against the bad calls. It might be a slippery slope, but its tough not to see this leading to greater and greater escalation until you're sending in facebook posts to HR before they're approved to be within company guidelines.

• Options
    David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular
    -Tal wrote: »
    I'm okay with a broken clock being right twice a day

Do you feel he should never get work again Tal?

Yes

Never? That's a bit hardline. Someone should never work again because they made awful jokes a decade ago that they have apologized for and realized were bad?

Are we a one strike society on (yes, very) bad taste?

There are plenty of talented people to take his spot, he will retire after decades in the business a millionare

Let's just hope that these right wing "date rape doesn't exist" assholes don't find anything objectionable about those other talented people.

13iepvv6o8ip.png
  • Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    It's not that he got fired, its not what he got fired for, its who got him fired and why they tried to get him fired that is the problem.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    TenzytileTenzytile Registered User regular
    Not a fan of holding (most) negative words or actions over someone's head who's apologized for them and proven that they've moved on from them. I've spent too much of my life in and around addiction to think otherwise. And I understand that Gunn isn't an addict (that we know of) and so forth. This sort of thing just makes me uncomfortable is all.

• Options
    Rorshach KringleRorshach Kringle that crustache life Registered User regular
    edited July 2018
    i am all about people growing but not at the expense of consequences for stuff done in the past. being a good person now doesn't erase doing something shitty in the past. i don't think past sins should ever have a statute of limitations.

i am also of the mind that not being able to make blockbuster movies is hardly a punishment even if this definitively ends his hollywood career. it's hard to be sad that someone doesn't get to be a millionaire anymore.

that being said, how this all came about, particularly with the apology in the past, really skeeves me out. disney shoulda fired him in the past, not now. reversing that decision almost a decade later because hateful voices have never been more amplified is troubling, to put it at its mildest.

and my biggest concern is that somehow james gunn is gonna get a sympathy pass just because how obfuscating this political morass is.

in short: everything about this is bad except for james gunn not having a job.

Rorshach Kringle on
    6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited July 2018
    I think Lasseter is a bigger problem to Disney than Roseanne

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    It's one more in the endless line of reasons why Disney, the company, royally sucks. They should have dealt with Gunn much earlier but were happy to wait until it became inconvenient for them and in doing so, are sending the worst possible message in the process.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    TransporterTransporter Registered User regular
    Javen wrote: »
    Gustav wrote: »
    Yeah, the potential splash damage here is quite frightening.

Normally I wouldn't really care about this. Advocating against X response because of what might potentially be the worse case scenario later isn't a great argument.

Trouble is, we know this group, and we have a pretty good idea of what this will empower them to do going forward. And now that this is quickly becoming the norm, it's going to become harder and harder to argue against the bad calls. It might be a slippery slope, but its tough not to see this leading to greater and greater escalation until you're sending in facebook posts to HR before they're approved to be within company guidelines.

I feel like at this point it is an inevitability.

• Options
    It also can't be overstated how bad these tweets were, though. Truly terrible, awful stuff. In that respect I don't blame anyone for just looking at them and becoming instantly reviled and wanting him just...gone.

• Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    The few tweets I looked at were both simultaneously god awful and probably acceptable by late aughts NSFW humor standards because people were terrible then.

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    It's not like his movies were bastions of progressivism

• Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    The guy made Tromeo and Juliet.

Disney knew what they were getting into, I mean come on

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    Couscous wrote: »
    The few tweets I looked at were both simultaneously god awful and probably acceptable by late aughts NSFW humor standards because people were terrible then.

I mean, maybe.

If so, it just paints how long a decade can be, though, because reading them now and hoo boy

• Options
    GustavGustav Friend of Goats Somewhere in the OzarksRegistered User regular
    Yeah. James Gunn's career is like the lowest rung of the ladder on me giving a shit here.

aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    New thread time

geth close the thread

• Options
    GethGeth Legion Perseus VeilRegistered User, Moderator, Penny Arcade Staff, Vanilla Staff vanilla
    Affirmative Tube. Closing thread...

This discussion has been closed.