As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Live. Die. [Movie]. Repeat.

• Options
    nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    3clipse wrote: »
    I'm kinda still thinking about that Rolling Stone Johnny Depp piece and am still unsure entirely of what I think, except that it makes me profoundly sad

Mind linking it here? I haven't seen it yet.

https://www.rollingstone.com/movies/features/johnny-depp-lawsuit-marriage-w521671

He comes off in this as exactly as much of a self-important dipshit as he seems like he would be.

I dont know that Id describe it as “feeling bad for him” but I do think there is something profoundly sad about a man beating alcholism only to give into his vices and become the worst version of himself possible.

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    I watched Hard Candy again today.

I'm not about to claim it's the best written movie ever or anything, but it's incredibly engaging, and Slade's style just works on me in a serious way. It bums me out he hasn't done any films since that Twilight movie.

Oh man, that guy did a Twilight?
    I love Hard Candy

Yeeeep. It's actually kind of a gorgeous movie. It's sort of like the Prisoner of Azkaban of the Twilight series, except, you know, not very good.

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    So exactly the same

• Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    he didn't even blow his money on dinosaur bones, like nic cage

Speaking of nic cage, I did not realize he was the one who got Depp into acting because they were drinking buddies

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Tube wrote: »
    So exactly the same

Prisoner of Azkaban is actually the best Harry Potter movie

• Options
    Rorshach KringleRorshach Kringle that crustache life Registered User regular
    am i sad enough to watch this movie?

this is where i am at right now

it will probably be awful but

but

https://youtu.be/94CozNqV0Zk

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
    rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    Saw the new Jurassic World.

It's dumb, sure, but it knows where its strengths lie and is overall more enjoyable than the last one. There were only one or two scenes where my eyeballs rolled out of my head.

• Options
    FawstFawst The road to awe.Registered User regular
    30 minutes into BR2049 and I love this so, so much.

• Options

but

hahaha I think you picked the better Jurassic movie.

• Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular

but

Hell yes

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    i didnt even get a chance to @ you, blank

you just sensed it

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
    I know what I'm about, man

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    kaceypkaceyp we stayed bright as lightning we sang loud as thunderRegistered User regular
    Gvzbgul wrote: »

Watching that I thought for a second, hey this looks like it might be decent, I might watch that. And then I remembered that I am unreasonably terrified of sea monsters and a watery death within the dark ocean they inhabit, so perhaps not.

Also YouTube now keeps suggesting to me a video called "The Last Jedi: A Complete Cinematic Failure" and I could not possibly be less interested in discovering the contents of that, so apparently it's time for me watch a bunch more videos and drown it out of the suggestions.

• Options
    Well reviewed and 1.3 billion dollars at the box office for the #1 film released in 2017. A complete cinematic failure.

• Options
    Also the evil Games Master in Jurassic Games legit looks cool as hell

All black suit with a black carbon fiber sabretooth skull mask is a strong look

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    so far, this movie is one hundred percent a bunch of cool ideas hampered by only have seven dollars and a roll of lifesavers as a budget

it ain't deep or nothing, but i'd've loved to see them with some doper effects

they do a quick hand-wavey reason as to why the dinosaurs look fake as hell (it's a the matrix you die in the game you die in real life jawn)

but dang this coulda been something special a few decades ago when it woulda been a decently budgeted mid-range action movie

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    So exactly the same

I’m not saying it isn’t

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Fawst wrote: »

that opening scene though.

• Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    Sorce wrote: »
    I got around to watching Deadpool 2 tonight. I enjoyed it, but I'm curious as to whether or not the after credits stuff actually counts as far as the movie. Because that would kind of rewrite the movie. Also make it not exist in the technical sense.

The director said the post credits stuff is canon
    So then
    Deadpool exists despite the fact that Ryan Reynolds is dead? Oh god my nose is bleeding...

sig.gif
  • Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    I got around to watching Deadpool 2 tonight. I enjoyed it, but I'm curious as to whether or not the after credits stuff actually counts as far as the movie. Because that would kind of rewrite the movie. Also make it not exist in the technical sense.

So then
    Deadpool exists despite the fact that Ryan Reynolds is dead? Oh god my nose is bleeding...
    It's the X-Men universe's Ryan Reynolds. Deadpool is Wade Wilson, a completely different person.

• Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    Aistan wrote: »

So then
    It's the X-Men universe's Ryan Reynolds. Deadpool is Wade Wilson, a completely different person.
    Well sure, multiverse theory and all that. It's just on the surface it's intentionally confusing.

Like also how in the heck the "franchise" is supposed to move forward since the reason the second movie happened doesn't exist.

sig.gif
  • Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    Aistan wrote: »

So then
    Well sure, multiverse theory and all that. It's just on the surface it's intentionally confusing.

Like also how in the heck the "franchise" is supposed to move forward since the reason the second movie happened doesn't exist.
    Deadpool experienced the character growth even though he later rewrote the events. Cable is still there, the kid had also experienced the character growth, etc.

Or if they do a third one, maybe it would be about Deadpool having horribly broken time and the effects of that. Maybe Vanessa being brought back from death will give her powers? Who knows.

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    What's the thing comics are best known for, in general?

Retconning the fuck out of everything all the time.

So why shouldn't a comic book movie do the same?

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    I'm kinda still thinking about that Rolling Stone Johnny Depp piece and am still unsure entirely of what I think, except that it makes me profoundly sad

https://www.rollingstone.com/movies/features/johnny-depp-lawsuit-marriage-w521671

He comes off in this as exactly as much of a self-important dipshit as he seems like he would be.

I dont know that Id describe it as “feeling bad for him” but I do think there is something profoundly sad about a man beating alcholism only to give into his vices and become the worst version of himself possible.

"beating alcoholism"?

Doesn't the article state he's still spending $30k/month on wine? Maybe he beat it like Demi Lovato beat it the first time...

• Options
    FawstFawst The road to awe.Registered User regular
    edited June 2018

that opening scene though.

Dave Bautista is a treasure. He lends so much weight to that scene and what comes after. Speaking of, I’m impressed that I remained unspoiled on the main plot. I never, ever would have guessed that was the direction they’d go in.

Still have 45 minutes to go, but I’m off to sleep for now.

Fawst on
  • Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Just got a new email from Movie Pass about their latest attempt to try and cover the gaping wound that their cash is hemorrhaging out of
    A Message To Our Members:

The revolution is happening now, and it is all thanks to you. In less than a year, three million pioneers joined us on our journey to see more great movies at an unbeatable price. And we want to thank you, our community, for your steadfast support of our company and growth.

In the spirit of innovation and growth, we are now announcing the next phase in the evolution of our product: Demand Pricing.

In the coming weeks, we will roll out three different upgrades to our base $9.95 service for our members.

Bring-A-Guest: MoviePass members will be able to purchase extra tickets to a showing of a movie right through the MoviePass app, so that you can seamlessly reserve seats for you and your friends (at e-ticketing partner theaters) to watch a film even if they aren’t MoviePass subscribers. As a benefit, if your friend signs up for MoviePass within 24 hours, we’ll refund the entire cost of the ticket!

Peak Pricing: MoviePass is committed to maintaining our low monthly price as we continue to grow rapidly. Rather than raise our prices or limit viewings, our plan has been to develop a new variable pricing system based on the demand for particular showtimes. Under this plan, if the combination of demand for a title, date or part of day is higher, subscribers may be asked to pay a small additional fee depending on the level of demand. You can avoid this peak surcharge by choosing an alternative date or film. We will also soon give subscribers one “peak pass” per month, allowing them to waive a Peak Price surcharge once per month. Annual and Quarterly subscribers will not incur peak pricing until their current subscription term ends and then renews.

Premium Showings: MoviePass members on any plan will soon be able to access RealD 3D, IMAX 2D or 3D, and other Premium Large Format showings of any film for an additional upgrade fee.

These features are being tested currently and will slowly roll out to all our members over the next several weeks.

Our aim is to create the most flexible and cost-efficient product, so that we don’t have to simply raise the price on the subscription. We appreciate your flexibility as we evolve our service to keep MoviePass at a low cost. We can’t express how much we value all of you for being part of that vision.

Thank you.

Sincerely,
    The MoviePass Team

Really starting to think seriously about switching to that AMC ticket subscription plan

• Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    So exactly the same

I’m not saying it isn’t

I saw Prisoner of Azkaban before I read the book. After I read the book, I was retroactively disappointed in the film. But it’s still probably my favorite.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    So exactly the same

Honestly I think there still might be Twilight movies I like better though

• Options
    twilight rules

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
    nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular

"beating alcoholism"?

Doesn't the article state he's still spending $30k/month on wine? Maybe he beat it like Demi Lovato beat it the first time...

He had a problem in his 20s and supposedly got over it. I don’t have time right now to go double check my memory but my understanding was that he was drive for a number of years.

It’s sad that he seems to beat it and lost so completely later. Its sad that massive success seems to lead to that.

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    JimothyJimothy Not in front of the fox he's with the owlRegistered User regular
    Maddoc wrote: »
    Just got a new email from Movie Pass about their latest attempt to try and cover the gaping wound that their cash is hemorrhaging out of
    A Message To Our Members:

The revolution is happening now, and it is all thanks to you. In less than a year, three million pioneers joined us on our journey to see more great movies at an unbeatable price. And we want to thank you, our community, for your steadfast support of our company and growth.

In the spirit of innovation and growth, we are now announcing the next phase in the evolution of our product: Demand Pricing.

In the coming weeks, we will roll out three different upgrades to our base $9.95 service for our members.

Bring-A-Guest: MoviePass members will be able to purchase extra tickets to a showing of a movie right through the MoviePass app, so that you can seamlessly reserve seats for you and your friends (at e-ticketing partner theaters) to watch a film even if they aren’t MoviePass subscribers. As a benefit, if your friend signs up for MoviePass within 24 hours, we’ll refund the entire cost of the ticket!

Peak Pricing: MoviePass is committed to maintaining our low monthly price as we continue to grow rapidly. Rather than raise our prices or limit viewings, our plan has been to develop a new variable pricing system based on the demand for particular showtimes. Under this plan, if the combination of demand for a title, date or part of day is higher, subscribers may be asked to pay a small additional fee depending on the level of demand. You can avoid this peak surcharge by choosing an alternative date or film. We will also soon give subscribers one “peak pass” per month, allowing them to waive a Peak Price surcharge once per month. Annual and Quarterly subscribers will not incur peak pricing until their current subscription term ends and then renews.

Premium Showings: MoviePass members on any plan will soon be able to access RealD 3D, IMAX 2D or 3D, and other Premium Large Format showings of any film for an additional upgrade fee.

These features are being tested currently and will slowly roll out to all our members over the next several weeks.

Our aim is to create the most flexible and cost-efficient product, so that we don’t have to simply raise the price on the subscription. We appreciate your flexibility as we evolve our service to keep MoviePass at a low cost. We can’t express how much we value all of you for being part of that vision.

Thank you.

Sincerely,
    The MoviePass Team

Really starting to think seriously about switching to that AMC ticket subscription plan

Yeah I just got this too

I can’t use the AMC thing at the indie theater by my work though

And it’s still significantly cheaper than AMC’s thing or just buying tickets normally, at least for me

• Options

"beating alcoholism"?

He had a problem in his 20s and supposedly got over it. I don’t have time right now to go double check my memory but my understanding was that he was drive for a number of years.

It’s sad that he seems to beat it and lost so completely later. Its sad that massive success seems to lead to that.

Ah, yeah, That is sad.

• Options
    MalReynoldsMalReynolds The Hunter S Thompson of incredibly mild medicines Registered User regular
    edited June 2018

"beating alcoholism"?

Ah, yeah, That is sad.

CW, addiction.
    In my experience, alcholism isn't something you really beat - you learn to live with it, without drinking. And any major change or adjustment to your life, you have to figure out and piece together a way to keep sobriety going, because it's easy when something changes or someone leaves or circumstances shift to let a that hole get refilled. Because it's always there and nothing really replaces addiction or the spot it leaves with you.

Insidious little fucker.

Depp is still an abusive piece of shit.

MalReynolds on
    "A new take on the epic fantasy genre... Darkly comic, relatable characters... twisted storyline."
    "Readers who prefer tension and romance, Maledictions: The Offering, delivers... As serious YA fiction, I’ll give it five stars out of five. As a novel? Four and a half." - Liz Ellor
    My new novel: Maledictions: The Offering. Now in Paperback!
  • Options
    going back to black dynamite bits, this one always slays me and i don't see bought up much

https://youtu.be/_mMS3Yi4X5E

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    I kind of feel like, Depp is definitely an unrepentant domestic abuser and (on a considerably less important but still somewhat contemptible level) a millionaire who was just a fucking idiot with his money etc etc etc

But I feel bad because, like, he was abused as a kid by his mother if we're honest about it, and I think that the damage called by that was exacerbated by the ridiculous culture of celebrity, Hollywood etc.

And I'm not going to cry for his financial struggles because absolutely fuck that, and he definitely beat his wife and should have been locked the fuck up, but it's definitely kind of tragic that it all comes from how profoundly fucked up he is, and a lot of that is coming from a really bad, poor childhood.

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Solar wrote: »
    I kind of feel like, Depp is definitely an unrepentant domestic abuser and (on a considerably less important but still somewhat contemptible level) a millionaire who was just a fucking idiot with his money etc etc etc

But I feel bad because, like, he was abused as a kid by his mother if we're honest about it, and I think that the damage called by that was exacerbated by the ridiculous culture of celebrity, Hollywood etc.

And I'm not going to cry for his financial struggles because absolutely fuck that, and he definitely beat his wife and should have been locked the fuck up, but it's definitely kind of tragic that it all comes from how profoundly fucked up he is, and a lot of that is coming from a really bad, poor childhood.

Cycles of abuse fucking suck.

• Options
    KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    So, @Fawst you made it through Coco. Now it's time to read this news story about Coco that popped up in one of my feeds the day after I watched it with my family.

• Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    I'm not clicking that link because it's probably going to be the story about the little boy singing to his deceased sister and I'm in public right now and don't need to get all weepy, damnit.

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    Based on the first half to two-thirds of Jack Reacher: Never Go Back, I hope they make like five more of these. These are prime examples of the mid-budget action films we need more of. $60m is nothing to scoff at, obviously, but for a Tom Cruise movie this entertaining? Yeah, please do more.

That movie is fucking great.

Haven't seen the second one yet.

Still like to use "Remember, you wanted this" in conversation at least once a week.

There’s a bit in the second one where he tells a guy exactly how hes going to beat him up and then it comes to the fight and it really looks like he’s going to have to beat him up in a less specific way and then nope he totally pulls it off.

He's pulling a True Lies?

• Options
    DrIanMalcolmDrIanMalcolm Registered User regular
    Not enough Malcolm in the new Jurassic World, but at least there were more practical dinosaurs this time

This discussion has been closed.