As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

A shiny new [tech] thread that will be obsolete in 6 months.

• Options
    KarlKarl Registered User regular
    Upon further inspection I'm not entirely sure it's a serious product either

• Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    There are reports that the new Windows update is deleting user files. Like, all of them sometimes. So maybe turn off updates for a bit, and also make sure your stuff is backed up.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/jasonevangelho/2018/10/05/avoid-windows-10-october-update-until-you-do-one-thing/#5b609cb03e79

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    not gonna lie, I kind of love the phone finger

• Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    I've been meaning to get a regular backup schedule to an external drive going soon anyway since my drives are getting long in the tooth.

if I pick up a 2tb USB 3.0 drive what kind of free software is there to backup selected files/directories?

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    edited October 2018
    Uriel wrote: »
    I've been meaning to get a regular backup schedule to an external drive going soon anyway since my drives are getting long in the tooth.

if I pick up a 2tb USB 3.0 drive what kind of free software is there to backup selected files/directories?

I believe the newer versions of windows itself can do automated backups.

Edit: I just threw down for a 2TB drive myself. I purchased Acronis clone software a few years back so I'm just going to clone my 512GB main drive and call it good.

webguy20 on
    Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    edited October 2018
    I don't really want a full clone of my system though honestly. that seems like it'll be a bigger pain in the butt. plus then I can't use the drive to move files around as needed.

all my stuff is already spread over 2 1tb internal drives with separate partitions anyway. it's mostly that these drives are older and I want to use the external to copy files I wanna keep handy in case one or both hdds fail someday.

It'd be nice to automate what files sync to the drive though...

Tallahasseeriel on
  • Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    Yeah, it's not a clone, Windows Backup just backs up whatever files and folders you want.

Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Backup and Restore (Windows 7)

• Options
    Oh cool.

• Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    edited October 2018
    a couple of OS X's ago, they added a feature to OS X which automatically consumed excess harddrive space by filling your disk with iCloud related file backups

these file backups were labelled as "purgeable" space, and it would fill your HD, no matter the size, to almost-full status, leaving only a dozen or so GB actually free

if you were to do something with your Mac which rapidly consumed large amounts of space (let's say: compile a large/complex software project using Apple's award winning developer tools (tm)), the OS would race to delete files from this purgeable space to make room for what the user was doing

were it to fail to do so, you would see cascade system errors concerning disk space, as the rest of the operating system doesn't know what's going on and assumes you're about to crash your mac into a glacier

this "feature" was mercifully something you could disable in Settings

In Mojave, as far as I can tell, it can no longer be disabled. Even if you have special tools to identify and proactively delete the purgeable files, they seem to fail, even with admin permissions. I am now trying to figure out where I can set up a Linux partition in my office so I can uhh... keep doing my job

Jasconius on
  • Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2018
    what the hell
    I haven't upgraded any of my OS's for a while - and I usually disable iCloud backup anyway, because I use google drive for work so it's just redundant - so one way or another I somehow haven't run into that phenomenon

that is quite honestly insane

tynic on
  • Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    I just had to do a module on how Microsoft Azure works and as part of the assignment had to show screenshots of each step.

So I just backed up my personal data for the first time.

• Options
    edited October 2018
    this is what my disk looks like right now

sewmnul9h2sd.png

the number marked "free space", second to bottom, is what every non-iCloud program recognizes as real free space on my computer

if I do something that eats disk, that number very quickly falls down to just a few megabytes. if it ever reaches 0, every program in my computer which isn't icloud-aware will immediately halt and I have to start over again

the "hidden space" section is more or less what Apple is laying claim to, and I cannot find a way to remove (and best googles this afternoon seem to indicate its permanent in Mojave)

Jasconius on
  • Options
    What program is that? Because that graph looks awesome

• Options
    it's called DaisyDisk

it's a great program for hunting down disk space on Mac when you need to make room... back in the good old days when you had permission to delete files from your own computer

• Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    Disk Utility X also works pretty well, though not quite that pretty.

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    Between that and this: https://gizmodo.com/reports-newest-macbook-pro-bricked-if-not-repaired-by-1829548786

I mean, I was never interested in buying a Mac laptop or desktop before anyway, but that certainly doesn't help.

• Options
    pimentopimento she/they/pim Registered User regular
    I hope the ACCC and the EU come down on them hard for that, cos it's all sorts of fucked.

• Options
    XaviarXaviar Registered User regular
    pimento wrote: »
    I hope the ACCC and the EU come down on them hard for that, cos it's all sorts of fucked.

I mean they've been doing it for iPhone years. The previous generation MacBooks had storage that was built in to the logic board and in the event of board failure data could only be pulled with a proprietary Apple(tm) tool.

I don't think this makes any more waves than are already there.

• Options
    Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    edited October 2018
    So Google gave me the ability to never have to answer the phone again!

Also, I was dead set on the slate until I saw the price.

But the home hub is a purchase for sure from me.

Casually Hardcore on
  • Options
    I knows its always been really expensive, but as Apple makes it harder to do your own repairs and stuff I've been seeing a lot of people on Facebook and Reddit doing angry price comparison of the Apple Store saying "Oh yeah this'll be $900 to fix" and the place up the street doing it for $100.

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    I got my phone screen repaired by a place on the street for a little cheaper than the Apple Store and within a year my phone was unusable so it's the Apple Store for me

• Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
  • Options
    i'm not really down with the uproar over the repair stuff, especially not for phones and laptops (which is basically all they have now)

Apple is the company that will give you a mulligan on almost any break anyway (unless they've stopped recently)

i'm thinking their mindset is they'd rather have first crack at the repair than having you taking it to Joe Stoner, letting him fuck it up, and then handing out a full replacement in the end anyway

you don't *have* to take it to Apple either. Just a repair center that can pass muster with them... I'm not sure I'd hand my Very Expensive Computer to someone who can't clear that hurdle anyway

• Options
    Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    edited October 2018
    Jasconius wrote: »
    i'm not really down with the uproar over the repair stuff, especially not for phones and laptops (which is basically all they have now)

Apple is the company that will give you a mulligan on almost any break anyway (unless they've stopped recently)

i'm thinking their mindset is they'd rather have first crack at the repair than having you taking it to Joe Stoner, letting him fuck it up, and then handing out a full replacement in the end anyway

you don't *have* to take it to Apple either. Just a repair center that can pass muster with them... I'm not sure I'd hand my Very Expensive Computer to someone who can't clear that hurdle anyway

Sadly, you can't even do that

https://youtu.be/9-NU7yOSElE

Like, I can't imagine the headaches of running a business that uses macs you can't repair without going through a costly and timely procedure.

At my job, we cannibalize pcs all the time. Especially since some of these towers has ide HD and good luck finding a replacement that dosn't cost a billion dollars.

Casually Hardcore on
  • Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    Jasconius wrote: »

If I recall they did substantially scale back the replacement system, to where it's now only offered as part of their Applecare+ warranty, and they replace the broken phone with a refurbished one.

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    is it still apple policy to explicitly downclock old phones and tablets with OS updates to make them run poorly so you have to buy a new one maintain longer battery life? that one really sticks in my craw.

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    There's really no reason to spend weeks getting a hard drive or RAM replaced because Apple wants to have a stranglehold on the entire fucking process from top to bottom.

This is an already solved problem but apple wants to quadruple dip because it makes them more money long term. If their hardware was up to snuff like it used to be 10 years ago where it took the will of Zeus to break the things, maybe they'd have a leg to stand on. But their hardware has become less and less reliable that this stuff was inevitably going to cause a backlash.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    SilverWindSilverWind Registered User regular
    Nothing particularly exciting about the Pixel 3, but I've got a Nexus 6p that's dying a little more every day so I think I'm going to upgrade

signature.png
    Switch: SW-7603-3284-4227
    My ACNH Wishlists | My ACNH Catalog
  • Options
    PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    is it still apple policy to explicitly downclock old phones and tablets with OS updates to make them run poorly so you have to buy a new one maintain longer battery life? that one really sticks in my craw.

The last couple of updates to my 6 have been explicitly designed to help older phones work better, and it does feel like there are speed and battery improvements. That doesn't mean they won't backslide, but it does feel like the company has turned a corner on that policy, at least.

• Options
    rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular

The last couple of updates to my 6 have been explicitly designed to help older phones work better, and it does feel like there are speed and battery improvements. That doesn't mean they won't backslide, but it does feel like the company has turned a corner on that policy, at least.

You also still have until the end of the year to get a replacement battery for like 30 bucks since that kid figured out they were screwing with battery life to maintain performance as the battery aged.

• Options
    mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    I had a 6p that started dying really, really fast. The battery would just die when I started a video even if it was around 65%.

To hold me over until the Pixel 3 announcement I got a Moto G6 for like $250 with a deal from my cell service provider (Ting) for $100 off my phone bills.

Its camera isnt GREAT but it really made me realize half the stuff I was paying for in a $800 phone I dont really even need, and I think after seeing the Pixel 3 I'm just gonna keep this around until it dies.

PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • Options
    Yeah I don't own a Mac but I have heard that the new versions are making it so you can't even add/change the memory or hard drives in it because you have to connect the PC to the Apple branded utility software that they might not even be offering to like Best Buy or Staples in order to get the thing running again after you install new hardware.

• Options
    SilverWindSilverWind Registered User regular
    The battery for the 6p is horrendous. Mine does the early shut down thing too, particularly if it's cold, which in Canada means half the year if you're outdoors. A full charge now only lasts me half a day. And this was after getting the device replaced after I complained

It was a huge issue for a lot of people and I'm still peeved it happened

signature.png
    Switch: SW-7603-3284-4227
    My ACNH Wishlists | My ACNH Catalog
  • Options
    PhasenPhasen Hell WorldRegistered User regular
    edited October 2018
    SilverWind wrote: »
    Nothing particularly exciting about the Pixel 3, but I've got a Nexus 6p that's dying a little more every day so I think I'm going to upgrade

I have a pixel 2 that replaced a 5x and the difference was substantial. The camera alone was worth the upgrade.

Phasen on
    psn: PhasenWeeple
  • Options
    PhasenPhasen Hell WorldRegistered User regular
    Kinda sad I'll miss out on the pixel 3 but hopefully this notch nonsense will sort it out by the time the 4 launches.

psn: PhasenWeeple
  • Options
    JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    I had been waiting on the pixel 3 to upgrade but the leaks from a couple months back led me to just pull the trigger on a 2XL, so mostly I'm just glad those leaks were pretty much accurate.

Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
  • Options
    Bucketman wrote: »
    Yeah I don't own a Mac but I have heard that the new versions are making it so you can't even add/change the memory or hard drives in it because you have to connect the PC to the Apple branded utility software that they might not even be offering to like Best Buy or Staples in order to get the thing running again after you install new hardware.

the new ones have the hard drive and ram basically soldered right into the board because fuck you

it offers literally nothing.

"but bowen" you might say "they can streamline it and make the case smaller" which is a fair point, but you can do that without soldering them right into the board too, this is a solved problem. Laptops already do it (non mac ones) and they aren't really that much larger than mac ones.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    When I first started dating my finance back over 6 years ago her and I got into it about Macs once, she was a fervent Apple supporter and loved Macs. To her it was because it came with good art software, and since she didn't need a powerhouse PC the hardware was always fine. What sold her though was the toughness of the devices and the support from Apple. She use to always get the Apple warranty with every product and if there was even a slight problem they fixed it. It was expensive, but it was worth it.

Not anymore though. A few years back I worked at Best Buy selling Macs, and then after that at a Verizon third party selling Iphones. Over the course of the last few years the products break crazy easy now, you can wind up with a $1000 laptop that barely runs their own software (which I have also heard doesn't get new features or update as much anymore), and AppleCare is now split into so many different tiers, and if you don't get one of the cray expensive ones the service sucks.

They are still nice machines, and have some of the best displays I've seen (I honestly want a Thunderbolt for my PC), but it seems like lately their quality is dropping. This is mostly anecdotal, as I don't own one but have heard this from friends/relatives/customers.

• Options
    There's effectively no pressure on them to do better.

Apple has a big following in art/music stuff, and their phones are some of the better phones and their unified design and ease of understanding new versions makes them better than android.

I say this as someone who has paid for and used both android/iphone and pc/mac stuff. But since there's no market pressure they can deliver subpar service and people will respond with "oh I guess I'll just upgrade anyways".

This discussion has been closed.