Options

the mod approved [Hero Academia] thread

19495969799

Posts

  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Just got back from the movie! It was very good!

    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Oh, did anyone else notice in last week's sub episode
    During the orientation, someone, I think it was maybe Sero or Kaminari, was standing behind Ojiro and petting his tail.

    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    crwthcrwth THAT'S IT Registered User regular
    i also just got back from the movie and it sucked

    wait sorry...i’m getting word it actually owned

    EzUAYcn.png
  • Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    The MHA movie ruled but holy shit that was the worst theater experience I've ever had

    I saw the DBZ flicks in theaters so I thought I was prepared and am usually down with like cheering and clapping at rad shit

    I was NOT prepared for like 3 different squads of teenage girls squeal yelling GOOD BOY whenever Bakugo did anything

    CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    AtomicTofuAtomicTofu She's a straight-up supervillain, yo Registered User regular
    Sorry but that rules

  • Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    I am happy they had a good time and it's nice that MHA is so popular with folks of all ages but it did not make for a good viewing experience to be yelled at every minute or so

    CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    Kupi wrote: »
    Sorce wrote: »
    Asthariel wrote: »
    PLA wrote: »
    Asthariel wrote: »
    New sub episode:
    I feel like "He is the closest one to Number One!" line is too much. I cannot imagine Mirio defeating Endeavour, or Aizawa, or a lot of other people that simply have powers that would be able to counter him. Hell, I am pretty sure Todoroki or Bakugou would be able to fight equally with him after learning what he can do.

    Sub.
    Aizawa and Endeavour aren't allowed to play in junior league.

    Yes, but
    it is said that Mirio is the closest to being number one Hero, INCLUDING pros.
    Probably means in the whole "embodies the spirit of Justice" better than anyone else, other than All-Might.

    Endeavor might have been able to take down All Might quirk-wise on a good day, but there is no way in ahem hellfire he's as good of a hero.
    Perhaps this is just a failure of imagination, but I'm not sure what viable counter to Mirio's Quirk would even be. Setting him on fire requires an oxidation interaction with his body. He can make his body stop touching things. Shutting his powers off with Aizawa's Quirk requires that Aizawa actually concentrate on him-- and may have some sort of pseudo-physics behind it, again, requiring an interaction with Mirio's body.

    I mean, so far as I've seen it defined, Mirio's Quirk is just arbitrarily shutting off the ability to touch his body with anything, and he has the skill to apply it at the level that he can phase through an incoming punch and still hit the guy coming at him (as with the eye gouge). You might beat him with a surprise attack, but in a straight fight his Quirk seems to give him straight invulnerability.
    Make a bad place, wait for someone who is a phase-guy to die. He can't see, can't even smell what it's like, can't breathe, can only move where he planned to move before. It's bad. But Mirio is good. Beating someone who is a Mirio is harder.

  • Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Manga chapter 200:
    What is she building in there. What is she making in her face?
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    In the theater now

    A group of teen girls yelled out I LOVE BAKUGO randomly so I am getting the AUTHENTIC EXPERIENCE

    Um actually that was me. Sorry.

    I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    Romanian My EscutcheonRomanian My Escutcheon Two of Forks Registered User regular
  • Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    huh

    y'know, there's something about taking bits of an anime or video game voice acting performance out of context that instantly makes my brain reject it

    like the performance is a very heightened, melodramatic thing that plays fine in context, but like, just looking at that clip i'm like "jesus this is awful"

    even though i really like the mha dub!

  • Options
    miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
    non spoilery movie thoughts:

    had a pretty good theater experience! it wasn't sold out but there were way more people than we were expecting for a matinee show, no one was super obnoxious or anything, just a lot of applause whenever one of the characters popped up onscreen for the first time, and some cheering towards the end

    there were a handful of cosplayers including an extremely spot on ochako and jirou who seeemed like a couple? that sat in front of us, also spotted someone with a very good bakugo wig

    saw the dub cos it was the only showing i could go to with my friends, and it was generally fine (the only issues i had were that the audio mix quality in the first scene sounded kinda off? and also oh my god, mineta's dub voice, i don't know how you guys can handle it on a weekly basis)
    everyone else was good to great tho, it was just jarring to get used to a couple of them

    spoilery movie thought:
    oh man can you imagine being The Aoyama Fan and having to sit through the whole movie and credits in order to be rewarded for your devotion

    uc3ufTB.png
  • Options
    DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular
    Kupi wrote: »
    Sorce wrote: »
    Asthariel wrote: »
    PLA wrote: »
    Asthariel wrote: »
    New sub episode:
    I feel like "He is the closest one to Number One!" line is too much. I cannot imagine Mirio defeating Endeavour, or Aizawa, or a lot of other people that simply have powers that would be able to counter him. Hell, I am pretty sure Todoroki or Bakugou would be able to fight equally with him after learning what he can do.

    Sub.
    Aizawa and Endeavour aren't allowed to play in junior league.

    Yes, but
    it is said that Mirio is the closest to being number one Hero, INCLUDING pros.
    Probably means in the whole "embodies the spirit of Justice" better than anyone else, other than All-Might.

    Endeavor might have been able to take down All Might quirk-wise on a good day, but there is no way in ahem hellfire he's as good of a hero.
    Perhaps this is just a failure of imagination, but I'm not sure what viable counter to Mirio's Quirk would even be. Setting him on fire requires an oxidation interaction with his body. He can make his body stop touching things. Shutting his powers off with Aizawa's Quirk requires that Aizawa actually concentrate on him-- and may have some sort of pseudo-physics behind it, again, requiring an interaction with Mirio's body.

    I mean, so far as I've seen it defined, Mirio's Quirk is just arbitrarily shutting off the ability to touch his body with anything, and he has the skill to apply it at the level that he can phase through an incoming punch and still hit the guy coming at him (as with the eye gouge). You might beat him with a surprise attack, but in a straight fight his Quirk seems to give him straight invulnerability.
    It is an amazing quirk that is somewhat spoiled by moving three feet to the right after he disappears underground, or being entirely invisible.

  • Options
    MancingtomMancingtom Registered User regular
    Movie Question (spoilers for movie and anime season 3):
    If All Might's full strength punch is the "United States of Smash," does that make his and Deku's team-up punch the "United Nations Smash?"

  • Options
    GundiGundi Serious Bismuth Registered User regular
    mirio spoilers
    mirio even without his quirk would beat deku as he is now, he's probably not as strong as endeavor but endeavor is an asshole who can never truly be like all might.

  • Options
    Mx. QuillMx. Quill I now prefer "Myr. Quill", actually... {They/Them}Registered User regular
    edited September 2018
    Mirio
    I'd imagine it takes a lot of practice to not accidentally tele-frag someone with that. Mirio would be one fucker of a Villain.

    Mx. Quill on
  • Options
    JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    Mirio
    I'd imagine it takes a lot of practice to not accidentally tele-frag someone with that. Mirio would be one fucker of a Villain.
    Doesn't sound like he can, would probably work just like materializing underground and launch him away.

    Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
  • Options
    MancingtomMancingtom Registered User regular
    Gundi wrote: »
    mirio spoilers
    mirio even without his quirk would beat deku as he is now, he's probably not as strong as endeavor but endeavor is an asshole who can never truly be like all might.

    Mirio
    Do we know that he'd be able to keep up speed and strength-wise with power Quirks without Permeation? Also, I think Mirio would have an extreme advantage over Endeavor. Fire won't touch him, and I doubt Endeavor has a lot of hand-to-hand combat experience.

  • Options
    Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular
    Finished off the season with the finale, movie sub, and movie dub all within 24 hours

    Ya did good bones

    Steam ID
    PSN: Robo_Wizard1
  • Options
    PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    edited September 2018
    Mancingtom wrote: »
    Gundi wrote: »
    mirio spoilers
    mirio even without his quirk would beat deku as he is now, he's probably not as strong as endeavor but endeavor is an asshole who can never truly be like all might.

    Mirio
    Do we know that he'd be able to keep up speed and strength-wise with power Quirks without Permeation? Also, I think Mirio would have an extreme advantage over Endeavor. Fire won't touch him, and I doubt Endeavor has a lot of hand-to-hand combat experience.
    Hand-to-hand Endeavor?

    Anything that minimises exposure helps handle fire safely. Only to a point, though.

    PLA on
  • Options
    THESPOOKYTHESPOOKY papa! Registered User regular
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    The MHA movie ruled but holy shit that was the worst theater experience I've ever had

    I saw the DBZ flicks in theaters so I thought I was prepared and am usually down with like cheering and clapping at rad shit

    I was NOT prepared for like 3 different squads of teenage girls squeal yelling GOOD BOY whenever Bakugo did anything

    this is the most grandpa post I've seen in this entire 99 page thread

    he is a good boy

    d4753b065e9d63cc25203f06160a1cd1.png
  • Options
    MancingtomMancingtom Registered User regular
    PLA wrote: »
    Mancingtom wrote: »
    Gundi wrote: »
    mirio spoilers
    mirio even without his quirk would beat deku as he is now, he's probably not as strong as endeavor but endeavor is an asshole who can never truly be like all might.

    Mirio
    Do we know that he'd be able to keep up speed and strength-wise with power Quirks without Permeation? Also, I think Mirio would have an extreme advantage over Endeavor. Fire won't touch him, and I doubt Endeavor has a lot of hand-to-hand combat experience.
    Hand-to-hand Endeavor?
    Yeah, Mirio's probably the only one who could. Not every part of Endeavor is on fire, you just have to get in close.

    That's part of how I think a fight between All Might and Endeavor would've gone down: All Might uses air waves to deflect the fire blasts, then jumps in close faster than Endeavor can react, and it's over.

  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Mancingtom wrote: »
    Gundi wrote: »
    mirio spoilers
    mirio even without his quirk would beat deku as he is now, he's probably not as strong as endeavor but endeavor is an asshole who can never truly be like all might.

    Mirio
    Do we know that he'd be able to keep up speed and strength-wise with power Quirks without Permeation? Also, I think Mirio would have an extreme advantage over Endeavor. Fire won't touch him, and I doubt Endeavor has a lot of hand-to-hand combat experience.
    Endeavor probably wins, imo. He has insane firepower and tons of experience over Mirio. Also, why wouldn't he have close combat experience? People like Aizawa are around, and he may be an asshole but he's a hard working asshole.

    Endeavor is #2 for a reason.

    Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    edited September 2018
    Mancingtom wrote: »
    PLA wrote: »
    Mancingtom wrote: »
    Gundi wrote: »
    mirio spoilers
    mirio even without his quirk would beat deku as he is now, he's probably not as strong as endeavor but endeavor is an asshole who can never truly be like all might.

    Mirio
    Do we know that he'd be able to keep up speed and strength-wise with power Quirks without Permeation? Also, I think Mirio would have an extreme advantage over Endeavor. Fire won't touch him, and I doubt Endeavor has a lot of hand-to-hand combat experience.
    Hand-to-hand Endeavor?
    Yeah, Mirio's probably the only one who could. Not every part of Endeavor is on fire, you just have to get in close.

    That's part of how I think a fight between All Might and Endeavor would've gone down: All Might uses air waves to deflect the fire blasts, then jumps in close faster than Endeavor can react, and it's over.
    He burned a guy's head off. Not even cremation-ovens work that fast. All Might has the force to end it right away. Mirio might take more than a second, which is bad.

    And while most "who would win?" things run into "they wouldn't want to hurt eachother", I wouldn't bet on that with Endeavor.

    PLA on
  • Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    THESPOOKY wrote: »
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    The MHA movie ruled but holy shit that was the worst theater experience I've ever had

    I saw the DBZ flicks in theaters so I thought I was prepared and am usually down with like cheering and clapping at rad shit

    I was NOT prepared for like 3 different squads of teenage girls squeal yelling GOOD BOY whenever Bakugo did anything

    this is the most grandpa post I've seen in this entire 99 page thread

    he is a good boy
    No like

    I am not exagerating

    They were literally YELLING it every few minutes after he showed up?

    I like Bakugo too!

    I don't like 5 people yelling in my ear every few minutes when I'm watching a movie which feels like a normal thing?

    CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    Today's dub episode was neat.
    It's still tricky to feel for Bakugo without reservation, but the emotion of thes ituation was plain to see, and the link to Izuku's own feelings ont ehs ituation was pretty clear.

    And the fight was really cool to watch.[/spoil]

  • Options
    RT800RT800 Registered User regular
    I don't like when people cheer at things in theaters.

    I have never cheered at a movie. Sometimes I will smile or nod approvingly.

    Control yourselves, people.

  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    RT800 wrote: »
    I don't like when people cheer at things in theaters.

    I have never cheered at a movie. Sometimes I will smile or nod approvingly.

    Control yourselves, people.

    It's fine when the credits roll, but not before that.

    Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    RadiusRadius Registered User regular
    Going to see the last showing on Tuesday with some people from work.

    I, like, even asked them if they wanted to go instead of getting invited.

    Japanese dubs only where I live though.

    Everyday we stray further from God's light
    Steam Switch FC: 2799-7909-4852
  • Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    I'm fine with cheering or clapping during super hype moments but otherwise shut uppp

    CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    NotoriusBENNotoriusBEN Registered User regular
    we probably have like 20 to 30 episodes before two of the best fights in MHA. In a series with a bunch of really goods fights.
    I'm damn impressed with the animation teams and I'm damn impressed with Horokoshi as well. Fights aren't all about who is the better fighter, there are also other motives happening alongside those fights and come into play as well. Horokoshi might not be batting a thousand, but he's in the high 800's

    a4irovn5uqjp.png
    Steam - NotoriusBEN | Uplay - notoriusben | Xbox,Windows Live - ThatBEN
  • Options
    SCREECH OF THE FARGSCREECH OF THE FARG #1 PARROTHEAD margaritavilleRegistered User regular
    Life is short, express extreme emotion

    gcum67ktu9e4.pngimg
  • Options
    Munkus BeaverMunkus Beaver You don't have to attend every argument you are invited to. Philosophy: Stoicism. Politics: Democratic SocialistRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Mancingtom wrote: »
    Gundi wrote: »
    mirio spoilers
    mirio even without his quirk would beat deku as he is now, he's probably not as strong as endeavor but endeavor is an asshole who can never truly be like all might.

    Mirio
    Do we know that he'd be able to keep up speed and strength-wise with power Quirks without Permeation? Also, I think Mirio would have an extreme advantage over Endeavor. Fire won't touch him, and I doubt Endeavor has a lot of hand-to-hand combat experience.

    Endeavor punched a Nomu so hard the arm instantly broke and shattered through to the muscle.

    Endeavor does not fuck around.

    Humor can be dissected as a frog can, but dies in the process.
  • Options
    THESPOOKYTHESPOOKY papa! Registered User regular
    There's a time and place for losing your shit during a movie

    Any feature-length shounen joint is absolutely, 100% that time, and that place

    d4753b065e9d63cc25203f06160a1cd1.png
  • Options
    rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    edited September 2018
    That headline is EXTREMELY misleading, as those movies are in week 3 or 4 and they're talking about the Tuesday/Wednesday/Thursday totals.

    I'd love to see an anime movie get a real marketing push and open wide to some success, but there'd have to be a wider effort to get the general public aware of it in order for that to work.

    That said, I'm pretty sure they're overperforming and added screenings for this weekend as a result.

    rhylith on
  • Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    In resurrection F when Krillins ringtone was" We are" I laughed because Sonny Strait is Usopp and his Japanese VA is Luffy.
    Nobody else noticed

    What Im saying is never emote in public.

    I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    KandenKanden Registered User regular
    How long do anime movies usually take to come to some streaming service? There's no theaters near me playing the movie and I wanna die

  • Options
    Blameless ClericBlameless Cleric An angel made of sapphires each more flawlessly cut than the last Registered User regular
    edited October 2018
    The theatre is kind of far from me and their online ticket thing hasn't been working.. they've sworn up and down that it won't be sold out Tuesday night but I'm thinking of trying to get down there tomorrow to buy a ticket in person anyway ughhhhh

    I'm going with my housemate who I got into the show and I'm pumped

    Blameless Cleric on
    Orphane wrote: »

    one flower ring to rule them all and in the sunlightness bind them

    I'd love it if you took a look at my art and my PATREON!
  • Options
    Munkus BeaverMunkus Beaver You don't have to attend every argument you are invited to. Philosophy: Stoicism. Politics: Democratic SocialistRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Kanden wrote: »
    How long do anime movies usually take to come to some streaming service? There's no theaters near me playing the movie and I wanna die

    Depends on the movie? The Dragonball Super one has never made it to streaming services (that aren't like, pay to rent).

    But Crunchyroll has some older ones on it, like Akira and the Conqueror of Shamballa.

    I doubt MHA's movie will make it to crunchyroll, though. Probably more of a Dragonball Super situation.

    Humor can be dissected as a frog can, but dies in the process.
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    It might end up on Funimation's service.

    steam_sig.png
This discussion has been closed.