Options

Well I guess I asked for it [chat]

• Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    zepherin wrote: »
    Hakkekage wrote: »
    Parking laws are an obvious revenue generator that is easy to lean on because drivers are by definition mobile and likely to not contest because they’re on the move and not may never come back and if they have a car surely they can afford the ticket and it will not be a financial hardship uguu

Except FUCK THAT it’s random ticketing for arbitrary lengths of time. It doesn’t take an hour and a half for the street sweeper! It comes by at the top of the hour and fucks off for the rest of the 90 minutes. There’s no need to keep the window open that long except to ticket a few more suckers for not having an hour and a half to circle the block vainly seeking space
    Most tickets are revenue generators. What are they going to do when I can have my car drop me off, and go home, always driving the speed limit never breaking the law.

there is a real fear that driverless cars are going to ruin cities' budgets in rather short order

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    Chanus wrote: »
    there is a real fear that driverless cars are going to ruin cities' budgets in rather short order

Maybe they should get better at capitalism.

• Options
    Sir LandsharkSir Landshark resting shark face Registered User regular
    Parking laws are an obvious revenue generator that is easy to lean on because drivers are by definition mobile and likely to not contest because they’re on the move and not may never come back and if they have a car surely they can afford the ticket and it will not be a financial hardship uguu

Except FUCK THAT it’s random ticketing for arbitrary lengths of time. It doesn’t take an hour and a half for the street sweeper! It comes by at the top of the hour and fucks off for the rest of the 90 minutes. There’s no need to keep the window open that long except to ticket a few more suckers for not having an hour and a half to circle the block vainly seeking space

street sweeping in Oakland was once a week for each side of the street

your car gets booted and towed after 3 unpaid tickets

I flew back to WI for 2 weeks over grad school winter break and came back to no car, cost me $1000 to get it back

Please consider the environment before printing this post.
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    Honk wrote: »
    Health clinic said until I see them I shouldn't drink coffee.

I can't in good conscience comply with this order.

I know for certain that at some point my doctor is going to tell me to stop eating cheese or drinking coffee. And on that day I'll know my days are numbered and what the culprit will be.

• Options
    kedinikkedinik Captain of Industry Registered User regular
    things to abolish:

1) driving,
    2) ticketing drivers,
    3) cops

I made a game! Hotline Maui. Requires mouse and keyboard.
  • Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    on the one hand, i mean, fuck you for generating revenue in that manner

but also i guess, like, no one wants to pay taxes to pay for services apparently so they have to do something

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Cities should institute their own currency, it solves everything.

PSN: Honkalot
  • Options

Most tickets are revenue generators. What are they going to do when I can have my car drop me off, and go home, always driving the speed limit never breaking the law.

Good.

• Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular

I mean small towns are likely going to narrow their pull over threshold to 5 mph over, because people will tell their cars to speed no matter what, and our cars will have a over the speed limit threshold, because fuck it gotta get there on time.

• Options
    PowerpuppiesPowerpuppies drinking coffee in the mountain cabinRegistered User regular
    kedinik wrote: »
    I've received several parking tickets that were issued in error, and each time I fought the ticket and eventually won, but it was an unbelievably difficult and draining experience each time

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kxcWtCopXpI

sig.gif
  • Options
    Not, like, the budget being ruined itself.

Just screw any revenue generator predicated on screwing people over.

• Options
    NecoNeco Worthless Garbage Registered User regular
    Quid wrote: »

Good.

But quid they will have to raise preacher’s taxes then!

• Options
    Sir LandsharkSir Landshark resting shark face Registered User regular
    BeNarwhal wrote: »
    As I recall, the tickets I handed out were $45 a pop

But they were also issued by a private company and technically unenforceable, but we made most of our money from people who didn't know that

Am I proud of the work I did?

Yes

Wow this is exploitative af

You have a duty to go public

Hakkes I am citing this post for parking in the wrong thread that will be $60

Please consider the environment before printing this post.
  • Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator Mod Emeritus
  • Options

I know for certain that at some point my doctor is going to tell me to stop eating cheese or drinking coffee. And on that day I'll know my days are numbered and what the culprit will be.

Cheese is probably the last thing I could give up.

• Options
    BeNarwhalBeNarwhal The Work Left Unfinished Registered User regular

But they were also issued by a private company and technically unenforceable, but we made most of our money from people who didn't know that

Yes

I think it can technically be assigned to you as a debt if you fail to pay it after a long enough period, it just will never be placed as a condition for renewing your license unlike tickets from municipal parking enforcement officers or other police

Basically it was an invoice for services rendered (parking on one of our properties) that's legally muddled about whether or not you agreed to the fee

If you failed to pay for parking at all, we were in the right

But if you paid but then were caught in violation for some other reason, legal precedent suggested we didn't have a right to "bill" you further

• Options
    NecoNeco Worthless Garbage Registered User regular
    Frankly as a non driver, I just don’t see what the fuss is all about with parking tickets being revenue generators.

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    It sure would be great if executives of the county/city would divorce revenue generation of the departments from the actual departments themselves. No bonuses for collecting fees, and make quotas or "quota-like elements" (you can't just call it productivity goals and get a pass).

Give them a pay raise when you do this so you don't make enemies of the police because it's pretty clear what you're doing there.

Shit all over management's pensions and bonuses if they start trying to skirt the line.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    HakkekageHakkekage Space Whore Academy summa cum laudeRegistered User regular

Yes

I think it can technically be assigned to you as a debt if you fail to pay it after a long enough period, it just will never be placed as a condition for renewing your license unlike tickets from municipal parking enforcement officers or other police

Basically it was an invoice for services rendered (parking on one of our properties) that's legally muddled about whether or not you agreed to the fee

But if you paid but then were caught in violation for some other reason, legal precedent suggested we didn't have a right to "bill" you further

THIS IS UNCONSTITUTIONALLY VAGUE

3DS: 2165 - 6538 - 3417
    NNID: Hakkekage
  • Options
    RedTideRedTide Registered User regular

Are we married?

RedTide#1907 on Battle.net
    Come Overwatch with meeeee
  • Options
    HakkekageHakkekage Space Whore Academy summa cum laudeRegistered User regular
    Anyway I’m back and watching football bye suckers

3DS: 2165 - 6538 - 3417
    NNID: Hakkekage
  • Options
    Neco wrote: »

Good.

But quid they will have to raise preacher’s taxes then!

• Options

Yes

You don't know what's on the Canadian constitution.

You don't even know if Canada has a Constitution until you type Canadian constitution into google.

• Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    Bogart wrote: »
    I think suspicions of chicanery or some complicated process behind it beyond picking someone standing nearby when it happens is over-estimating the amount of effort that was likely to be put into something so inconsequential.

PEPPE SYLVIA PEPPE SYLVIA EVERY PIECE OF [chat] IS PEPPE SYLVIA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_nTpsv9PNqo

I've always loved the theory that they're marked "Pennsylvania" and Charlie is illiterate

haha oh my god this is absolutely the case

• Options
    Anyway I’m back and watching football bye suckers

What sort of layabout existence is this ?

(Currently watching Den v Fra and getting paid)

• Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    Echo wrote: »

Maybe they should get better at capitalism.

You're right!

Every city should become a capital.

• Options
    wanderingwandering Russia state-affiliated media Registered User regular
    I recall someone, possible Icy, at some point saying that geth might take awesomes and agrees into account, though googling has not turned up anything about this

anyway Chanus, being agreeable, does have a lot of awesomes and agrees

• Options

"If you want to make it in to your 70's you need to stop eating so much cheese."

"It's been a good run, doc. I appreciate all the advice and help. You've done the best you can. There's just some things medicine can't stop."

• Options
    In our system sometimes people get wrong tickets, or rather payment reminders if they missed the first date. Like maybe from a city 500 miles away and everyone understands the meter guy just wrote down the wrong license number. But then you have to fight it in court, there's no way to correct errors outside of court it seems.

It's not very expensive to go to court here for something like that, but just the huge hassle would probably mean that most people will just pay the fine.

C'est dumbs

• Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    Krathoon wrote: »
    I am in the pokey.

Do you mean business?

• Options

Yes

Canada babay, we're playing by the Queen's rules

Wildcard!

• Options
    RedTide wrote: »

Are we married?

We were

But I am leaving and I am taking half of your cheese.

• Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    bowen wrote: »
    It sure would be great if executives of the county/city would divorce revenue generation of the departments from the actual departments themselves. No bonuses for collecting fees, and make quotas or "quota-like elements" (you can't just call it productivity goals and get a pass).

The Swedish idiom for this is "picking sticks".

qeLqIqq.png

• Options

Yes

You don't know what's on the Canadian constitution.

You don't even know if Canada has a Constitution until you type Canadian constitution into google.

It's got some crazy stuff in there!

• Options

Are we married?

We were

Take it all, harlot.

• Options
    In our system sometimes people get wrong tickets, or rather payment reminders if they missed the first date. Like maybe from a city 500 miles away and everyone understands the meter guy just wrote down the wrong license number. But then you have to fight it in court, there's no way to correct errors outside of court it seems.

It's not very expensive to go to court here for something like that, but just the huge hassle would probably mean that most people will just pay the fine.

C'est dumbs
    I got a ton of camera tickets that got sent to the wrong address, and I just didn't pay them afterwards for like 5 years. I was like fuck it I don't care if my credit is 300 (because DC puts you in collections). You can't get my address right I'm not giving you any money. Then my wife is all, fucking just pay it.

• Options
    AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular

Yes

My favorite around here is places like grocery stores will give people fake tickets if they think you're using their parking lots as a park-n-ride or something.

Jokes on them, a single sign near one of the entrances jammed with tiny text doesn't even remotely constitute a legal contact.

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular

Are we married?

We were

But I am leaving and I am taking half of your cheese and covering it in ketchup.

• Options

Are we married?

We were

Take it all, harlot.

Blaming me? I saw the receipt for the hotel room. I saw pictures of you with that gruyere.

• Options
    TTODewbackTTODewback Puts the drawl in ya'll I think I'm in HellRegistered User regular
    im a scamp
    with a lamp
    gonna let my light shine on you
    whoaaaaaaaaaa
    gonna shine my light on youuu
    gonna let it shine
    gonna let it shine

Bless your heart.
This discussion has been closed.