Well I guess I asked for it [chat]

• Options
    BeNarwhalBeNarwhal The Work Left Unfinished Registered User regular
    Aioua wrote: »
    BeNarwhal wrote: »
    Hakkekage wrote: »
    As I recall, the tickets I handed out were $45 a pop

But they were also issued by a private company and technically unenforceable, but we made most of our money from people who didn't know that

Am I proud of the work I did?

Yes

Wow this is exploitative af

You have a duty to go public

I think it can technically be assigned to you as a debt if you fail to pay it after a long enough period, it just will never be placed as a condition for renewing your license unlike tickets from municipal parking enforcement officers or other police

Basically it was an invoice for services rendered (parking on one of our properties) that's legally muddled about whether or not you agreed to the fee

If you failed to pay for parking at all, we were in the right

But if you paid but then were caught in violation for some other reason, legal precedent suggested we didn't have a right to "bill" you further

My favorite around here is places like grocery stores will give people fake tickets if they think you're using their parking lots as a park-n-ride or something.

Jokes on them, a single sign near one of the entrances jammed with tiny text doesn't even remotely constitute a legal contact.

The rules were something to the same effect for the enforcement I was doing, yeah

We were in the right to charge you as a condition for parking on our property (i.e. operating a private parking lot / garage), but we were in the wrong for charging you for violating additional terms and conditions as described through tiny text on signs scattered haphazardly throughout the property :P

So the "tickets" (invoices) for complete non-payment were legit, but the tickets for your parking "expiring", parking in the wrong spot, parking on a Tuesday, etc. were legally dubious

• Options
    PowerpuppiesPowerpuppies drinking coffee in the mountain cabinRegistered User regular
    Honk wrote: »
    In our system sometimes people get wrong tickets, or rather payment reminders if they missed the first date. Like maybe from a city 500 miles away and everyone understands the meter guy just wrote down the wrong license number. But then you have to fight it in court, there's no way to correct errors outside of court it seems.

It's not very expensive to go to court here for something like that, but just the huge hassle would probably mean that most people will just pay the fine.

C'est dumbs

oh ho

i get to post another one

skip to 4:40

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kHIzB4TM3pk

sig.gif
  • Options
    RedTideRedTide Registered User regular
    RedTide wrote: »
    Quid wrote: »
    Health clinic said until I see them I shouldn't drink coffee.

I can't in good conscience comply with this order.

I know for certain that at some point my doctor is going to tell me to stop eating cheese or drinking coffee. And on that day I'll know my days are numbered and what the culprit will be.

Cheese is probably the last thing I could give up.

Are we married?

We were

But I am leaving and I am taking half of your cheese.

Take it all, harlot.

Blaming me? I saw the receipt for the hotel room. I saw pictures of you with that gruyere.

It was a wheel of Swiss and we're in love!

RedTide#1907 on Battle.net
    Come Overwatch with meeeee
  • Options
    Our only legal recourse for you parking in one of our lots forever was to get actual law enforcement involved, not pretending to be cops ourselves

But how is that fun, I ask

• Options
    AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    Our only legal recourse for you parking in one of our lots forever was to get actual law enforcement involved, not pretending to be cops ourselves

I assume you could tow people, too?

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • Options
    HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Quid wrote: »
    Health clinic said until I see them I shouldn't drink coffee.

I can't in good conscience comply with this order.

I know for certain that at some point my doctor is going to tell me to stop eating cheese or drinking coffee. And on that day I'll know my days are numbered and what the culprit will be.

Cheese is probably the last thing I could give up.

Are we married?

We were

But I am leaving and I am taking half of your cheese.

Take it all, harlot.

Blaming me? I saw the receipt for the hotel room. I saw pictures of you with that gruyere.

It was a wheel of Swiss and we're in love!

I always knew it'd be a waxed european.

PSN: Honkalot
  • Options

I assume you could tow people, too?

In certain situations, yeah

But again in order to truly cover our asses, the right thing even there was to get law enforcement involved

But again, that's less fun, and tow truck drivers were as amoral as we were, so

• Options
    Havelock2.0Havelock2.0 Sufficiently Chill The Chill ZoneRegistered User regular
    Chanus wrote: »
    Motherfucker.

br44czj7jh15.jpg

You go in the cage, cage goes in the water, you go in the water. Shark's in the water, our shark.
  • Options
    If it's any credit to my character, I did eventually break down and quit the job because the, uh ... public interaction was getting to me

• Options
    Seeing news stories that something like 1/4 of apartments in Seattle are vacant.

Oooh boyos that real estate crash she's bubbling up.

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
  • Options
    BSoBBSoB Registered User regular
    There is a restaurant near campus I goto a lot because the have awesome tacos. They have a "parking for <restaurant> only" sign out front. The owner's nephew sits inside all day drinking fountain drinks with a yellow car boot next to him. Every time someone parks there then walks to the near by Subway or to campus he goes outside and straps the boot on their car, then charges them $60 to take it off.

I'm pretty sure it's not legal. But it is funny.

• Options
    VishNubVishNub Registered User regular
    https://www.buzzfeed.com/michaelrusch/haribo-gummy-bear-reviews-on-amazon-are-the-most-insane-thin?utm_term=.ncojOpbpX0#.ecEo9NPNmy

Huh.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000EVQWKC/?tag=buzz0f-20#customerReviews

"What came out of me felt like someone tried to funnel Niagara Falls through a coffee straw. I swear my sphincters were screaming. It felt like my delicate starfish was a gaping maw projectile vomiting a torrential flood of toxic waste. 100% liquid. Flammable liquid. NAPALM."

• Options
    EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    After having a bunch of various continental dishes this summer I've fallen into a little fling with Emmenthaler cheese

soft, gooey cheeses are dead to me

"and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
  • Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    Oh good now a client seems unhappy with the rehaul I did for their page

This is a day already

• Options
    Rental prices drive condo prices (somewhat)... gonna keep holding on to my dollars gonna be a gen-u-ine homeowner.

• Options
    I drew a picture to memorialize my dinner last night. I think it's pretty good.

r662szld5tdr.png

eu391780rqcn.jpeg

• Options
    wanderingwandering Russia state-affiliated media Registered User regular
    I guess it’s true that sugar free candy can help you lose weight

• Options
    This morning I had instant grits with ghee for breakfast

I feel like this is probably deeply blasphemous to True Southerners

Anyway it was p tasty

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular

But they were also issued by a private company and technically unenforceable, but we made most of our money from people who didn't know that

Yes

I think it can technically be assigned to you as a debt if you fail to pay it after a long enough period, it just will never be placed as a condition for renewing your license unlike tickets from municipal parking enforcement officers or other police

Basically it was an invoice for services rendered (parking on one of our properties) that's legally muddled about whether or not you agreed to the fee

But if you paid but then were caught in violation for some other reason, legal precedent suggested we didn't have a right to "bill" you further

My favorite around here is places like grocery stores will give people fake tickets if they think you're using their parking lots as a park-n-ride or something.

Jokes on them, a single sign near one of the entrances jammed with tiny text doesn't even remotely constitute a legal contact.

They can't tow you?

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    This could be interesting.

Our newest student worker is a guy who consistently kicked my ass in Netrunner back when I played regularly a couple years ago.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    I also love how the article is all like "landlords are desperate for new renters, and are trying all kinds of perks like free gym memberships, reduced deposits, etc"

You know, everything but lowering the damn rent.

• Options
    edited June 2018
    Kamiro wrote: »
    I once watched someone park at a bank (bank parking only), run to the store across the street, and a minute later a tow truck zooms in, grabs his car and is gone. Total time, maybe 2 minutes. I was impressed.
    There’s a reason the tow truck is the apex predator of the parking lot ecosystem

wandering on
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    VishNub wrote: »

r662szld5tdr.png

Tell your pink-haired date it's rude to put feet on the table during a meal.

• Options
    emnmnme wrote: »

r662szld5tdr.png

no thats her cup

• Options
    bowen wrote: »

Yes

They can't tow you?

They could tow you! But they generally don't unless they think your car's actually abandoned there. Bad press for the grocery store if they're towing their """customers""".

• Options
    wandering wrote: »
    I once watched someone park at a bank (bank parking only), run to the store across the street, and a minute later a tow truck zooms in, grabs his car and is gone. Total time, maybe 2 minutes. I was impressed.
    There’s a reason the tow truck is the apex predator of the parking lot ecosystem

The pack of shopping carts is much more likely to take you down however.

• Options
    Sir LandsharkSir Landshark resting shark face Registered User regular
    edited June 2018

porp was at a meetup for a bunch of new moms back when we first had #1 in Chicago. the place they met at had parking, but I guess the lot was actually owned by some other company. that company posted some sort of "parking in this lot will get you towed" at the legit opposite end of the lot, maybe 1000 feet from any of the businesses that adjoined the lot.

30 minutes into the meetup one of the moms goes out to her car and discovers that all of their cars are being towed. naturally her protests and promises to come get everyone to move their cars fell on deaf ears. she was told everyone could pick up their car at the impound lot.

lol

anyways the story made local news cuz a bunch of moms with infant children had to figure out how to get all their damn cars back

Sir Landshark on
    Please consider the environment before printing this post.
  • Options
    emnmnme wrote: »

r662szld5tdr.png

I do what I want

• Options
    I also love how the article is all like "landlords are desperate for new renters, and are trying all kinds of perks like free gym memberships, reduced deposits, etc"

The thing is, the free gym membership thing, they get it at a drastically reduced rate because the gym is hoping you'll buy extra stuff there. Classes, bottled drinks, etc.

So what only probably costs the landlord $5-10 per person because the gym is handing it out like candy they can't really reduce the rent in any meaningful way (in their eyes).

25% cut across the board for rent would fix a lot in most major metros.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    SummaryJudgmentSummaryJudgment Grab the hottest iron you can find, stride in the Tower’s front door Registered User regular
    Echo wrote: »
    finished book one of mistborn on audiobook
    went and read the wiki for all the other books because I have a disease where I must complete a book series even if it is awful

I'm currently reading The Demon Cycle or whatever pretentious name the series has. First book was a 4/5, the next two were 2.5/5. On the fourth one now which is back up to 3/5 so far.

can't stop now

my worst case of sunk cost buy-in was Ada Palmer's Too Like the Lightning, which was wonderful

and it's sequel, Seven Surrenders, which was horrible, as i discovered too late

Some days Blue wonders why anyone ever bothered making numbers so small; other days she supposes even infinity needs to start somewhere.
  • Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular

The thing is, the free gym membership thing, they get it at a drastically reduced rate because the gym is hoping you'll buy extra stuff there. Classes, bottled drinks, etc.

So what only probably costs the landlord $5-10 per person because the gym is handing it out like candy they can't really reduce the rent in any meaningful way (in their eyes).

Rent has been artifically inflated for years.

Shit has to come down or the market's gonna take a tumble.

• Options

yeah but how are the chinese investors going to make their millions if we don't let them rake people over coals over every dollar?

• Options
    SummaryJudgmentSummaryJudgment Grab the hottest iron you can find, stride in the Tower’s front door Registered User regular
    Eddy wrote: »
    After having a bunch of various continental dishes this summer I've fallen into a little fling with Emmenthaler cheese

soft, gooey cheeses are dead to me

you'll be back, harlot

Some days Blue wonders why anyone ever bothered making numbers so small; other days she supposes even infinity needs to start somewhere.
  • Options
    Sir LandsharkSir Landshark resting shark face Registered User regular

porp was at a meetup for a bunch of new moms back when we first had #1 in Chicago. the place they met at had parking, but I guess the lot was actually owned by some other company. that company posted some sort of "parking in this lot will get you towed" at the legit opposite end of the lot, maybe 1000 feet from any of the businesses that adjoined the lot.

30 minutes into the meetup one of the moms goes out to her car and discovers that all of their cars are being towed. naturally her protests and promises to come get everyone to move their cars fell on deaf ears. she was told everyone could pick up their car at the impound lot.

lol

anyways the story made local news cuz a bunch of moms with infant children had to figure out how to get all their damn cars back

Oh god. Hope everyone had a spare car seat.

nah they had some moms stay back with the kids at the place while the others took cabs to get their cars back. then swapped. it took forever of course.

Please consider the environment before printing this post.
  • Options

Part of the problem goes back to welfare reform in the 90s. We stopped giving people cash and telling them to figure it out however they could and switched to housing vouchers that paid out fixed amounts, thus setting a hard baseline for all but the shittiest of apartments.

• Options
    I had a dream last night that the PlayStation 5 was revealed to be a wooden shipping pallet with a touchscreen somehow built into it

And people were crazy for it and it was for some reason seen as a technological marvel

I have no explanation

• Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    So last night my players encountered the duergar slavers. They followed them into the lair of the purple worm. And heroically tried to free the slaves while the Duergar were fighting the purple worm.

Unfortunately, they decided not to be cautious about things.

I have killed my first player. Notched the belt, aw yiss.
    He had 7 hp of health left when the worm speared him with its tail. It was 22 points of bludgeoning damage, and then there's a DC 19 (!!) con save or take 12d6 poison. He took enough poison damage to kill him outright.

• Options
    Havelock2.0Havelock2.0 Sufficiently Chill The Chill ZoneRegistered User regular

Oh, I'm sure we'll make the rational decision instead of driving off a cliff

You go in the cage, cage goes in the water, you go in the water. Shark's in the water, our shark.
  • Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular

yeah but how are the chinese investors going to make their millions if we don't let them rake people over coals over every dollar?

And Russian.

My sister was privy to some "small town talk" in her town and there's apparently an actual, conscious effort by several realtors in the area to price Mexican immigrants out of the market.

Real estate people are the second worst people.

This discussion has been closed.