As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Sysadmin] Improper Wireshark use has restarted the editor wars.

• Options
    CogCog What'd you expect? Registered User regular
    edited December 2018
    Mugsley wrote: »
    Cog wrote: »
    Unrelated: tables in word documents make me rage like nothing else. They are fucking unholy.

Fun fact: this past summer and colleague and I spent literally 2 hrs editing a table in Word and dealing with splitting the table because it was a revision-managed document.

I also had to learn on the fly how to insert section breaks so I could handle revision history per-page.

And we had to preserve page numbers to keep from asploding the entire rev history.

I had never been so angry when as when I found some automated report that dumped out a 50 page word table (first off, holy fuck, xlsx plz) and did it as one table per page rather than one table. If you wanted to reformat the table you had to reformat every single page rather than just the whole table at once.

Cog on
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    Unrelated: tables in word documents make me rage like nothing else. They are fucking unholy.

Fun fact: this past summer and colleague and I spent literally 2 hrs editing a table in Word and dealing with splitting the table because it was a revision-managed document.

I also had to learn on the fly how to insert section breaks so I could handle revision history per-page.

And we had to preserve page numbers to keep from asploding the entire rev history.

I had never been so angry when as when I found some automated report that dumped out a 50 page word table (first off, holy fuck, xlsx plz) and did it as one table per page rather than one table. If you wanted to reformat the table you had to reformat every single page rather than just the whole table at once.

Tables in a Word document? Oh fuck that. What the fuck.

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    My coworker was having trouble getting a page on our shitty Intranet to behave. I went to look at it and it was a tangle of tables nested in tds nested in other tables

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

• Options
    LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    Feral wrote: »
    My coworker was having trouble getting a page on our shitty Intranet to behave. I went to look at it and it was a tangle of tables nested in tds nested in other tables

Ah, <table>, a weapon of the Old Ways.

• Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    These were your father's nested tables.

• Options
    SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    edited December 2018
    Bobby Tables: The hero we need or the one we deserve?

Seidkona on
    Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
  • Options
    AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    It's me, I am the one who uses tables.

I've never grokked even the first thing about UI programming.

Head on over to aioua.com and check out my source code if you want to be sacred.

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • Options
    edited December 2018
    Me: Sets MS Word table properties to have all columns in each table be the exact same size.

MS Word: Makes every table have infinitesimally small but visually noticeable variations in column width, despite showing the columns as the same size, because it knows I’m the sort of person who will notice and it will make my eyeballs bleed.

Cog on
  • Options
    Aioua wrote: »

Head on over to aioua.com and check out my source code if you want to be sacred.

I don't see any tables there...

• Options
    LD50 wrote: »

I don't see any tables there...

Yeah that's what happens when I don't use tables.

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    I honestly think tables were a just fine solution to the layout problem in HTML.

bootstrap is another good solution

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    So in the middle of this migration that is going poorly?

Someone broke the new network. Been down for 24 hours now. . .

• Options
    ThawmusThawmus +Jackface Registered User regular

Ever have someone ask you to troubleshoot tables in an email they were sending?

I have.

Just last week.

My solution?

Stop fucking doing that.

Twitch: Thawmus83
  • Options
    I'm gonna be totally honest here:

the last time I needed tables in an email, I took a screenshot of a spreadsheet and embedded the image.

• Options
    That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
    Fuck my life. AT&T is having intermittent call failures across the entire southeast. The problem is that AT&T owns the entire southeast backend so even if you are on VoIP like Bandwidth.com or Verizon cellular you will experience intermittent call failure, inbound and outbound.

• Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular

In our defense, it's a work instruction that needs signatures at every step. If we built it in Excel instead, the headers and footers would be entirely fucked up and we couldn't manage revisions on a per-page basis. Not that Word is a "better" solution, so much as the only tool we have that kinda works. When you work for the Fed, you use what you're given, or you go through 4 months of paperwork hell to get the right solution approved, pushed to your machine, and working without problems. And then you become the only person who can use said program.

Your tax dollars at work!

• Options
    DrovekDrovek Registered User regular
    Fuck Kaspersky Endpoint Protection. Who knows why it's crapping out whenever I use anything python or GitBash related...

steam_sig.png( < . . .
  • Options
    A user told me today that she needs some software installed on her pc because does web conferences and doesn’t want to do it from Citrix because the vendor could see the info on her screen on the Citrix server and there’s no way for her to prove she didn’t show them confidential info.

See if you can spot the stupid.

• Options
    BSoBBSoB Registered User regular
    edited December 2018
    A user told me today that she needs some software installed on her pc because does web conferences and doesn’t want to do it from Citrix because the vendor could see the info on her screen on the Citrix server and there’s no way for her to prove she didn’t show them confidential info.

Found it.

BSoB on
  • Options
    A user told me today that she needs some software installed on her pc because [she] does web conferences and doesn’t want to do it from Citrix because the vendor could see the info on her screen on the Citrix server and there’s no way for her to prove she didn’t show them confidential info.

I don't know why you're having us fix your sentences but it's a fun game for now and I salute you for it.

• Options

This is fine! You did fine!

It's all divs and CSS, with percent declarations instead of fixed pixel values so it scales nicely

It's simple but there's nothing obviously wrong with it

• Options
    hippofanthippofant ティンク Registered User regular

It's all divs and CSS, with percent declarations instead of fixed pixel values so it scales nicely

Um, excuse me, but have you considered adding the world's 17 most popular JavaScript libraries to your website! Users will be AMAZED at the full-fledged features they can use! ASTOUNDING levels of user interaction, to capture user's IMAGINATIONS, creating new SYNERGISTIC CONNECTIONS between you and your users! Contact us at uselessjavascriptlibraries@payusmoney.com NOW!!! DON'T LET THOSE UNREALISED RELATIONSHIPS PASS!

• Options
    edited December 2018

Your're the first person I've ever seen who looked at that code and didn't immediately vomit

Aioua on
  • Options

Your're the first person I've ever seen who looked at that code and didn't immediately vomit

Why? It's very simple, elegant code. It reminds me of what CSS tutorial websites used to do when I was learning CSS. They'd do this sort of thing exactly to demonstrate the power of CSS and the ability to execute complex layouts with simple code.

The only change I might make is to add a superclass about .black and .white to reduce some code redundancy. Also add the standard Aioua Christmas theme.

• Options
    I think this would be an apt point in time to dig up one of bowen's posts about how vowels should be a programmer.

But I'm not a good person so I'm not going to do that.

• Options
    Thawmus wrote: »
    I think this would be an apt point in time to dig up one of bowen's posts about how vowels should be a programmer.

They've already stuck me in the devops mines.
    It's all python scripts and Java code these days.

I still really don't like actual development. Please stick me on behind the scenes tools and infra that I can bodge together to my heart's content.

• Options
    edited December 2018

I still really don't like actual development. Please stick me on behind the scenes tools and infra that I can bodge together to my heart's content.

You're not really a programmer until you want to murder a user.

You're not a senior programmer until you want to murder all users.

hippofant on
  • Options
    edited December 2018
    You're not a sysadmin until you want to murder everyone.

Seidkona on
  • Options
    So am I a senior programmer now and what does that get me?

• Options
    hippofant wrote: »

ITT: We're all senior programmers?

• Options
    Okay guys, I need to know:

Are 2-in-1 laptops that don't come with a keyboard, considered to be laptops?

I'll split you into two teams, discuss your answers amongst your group, and then come back with your final answer.

• Options
    hippofant wrote: »

ITT: We're all senior programmers?

I am very disappointed in your formal logic skills.

• Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular

I'll split you into two teams, discuss your answers amongst your group, and then come back with your final answer.

No

I’ll take my consultation fee now

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options

+okay+that+joke+_773c6da37639bd7553d3bba0f1f6d961.png

• Options

Like, a Surface?

No. I believe, technically, they are "slate"s

• Options
    Okay thanks guys. Those were all great answers.

The correct answer, however, was "yes."

Which none of you got.

And neither did I. :sad:

• Options

Which none of you got.

It does really depend on the context. If you're talking to the execs about the number of user desktops vs portable computer like objects, I'd include Surfaces into the laptop category. I would fit things like iPads into "tablets".

• Options

Which none of you got.

It does really depend on the context. If you're talking to the execs about the number of user desktops vs portable computer like objects, I'd include Surfaces into the laptop category. I would fit things like iPads into "tablets".

I was talking to a very proficient IT guy.

• Options
    Hey ya’ll

Thawmus is saying we are not very IT proficient people.

• Options
    Hey ya’ll

Thawmus is saying we are not very IT proficient people.

It's true. I'm not. I just hang out here after sneaking in with some SenorAmor threesome jokes and y'all let me stick around.

This discussion has been closed.