As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Sysadmin] Improper Wireshark use has restarted the editor wars.

• ThawmusThawmus +Jackface Registered User regular
    Cog wrote: »
    You can throw non-monetary shit in as well, like asking for them to front load some PTO hours.

Yes do this. I always kick myself when people join up and they have like 2+ weeks more PTO than I do. Should have fought for that PTO, I love my free time.

Twitch: Thawmus83
  • LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    You can throw non-monetary shit in as well, like asking for them to front load some PTO hours.

That's a really good idea.

• CogCog What'd you expect? Registered User regular
    LD50 wrote: »

That's a really good idea.

This ain't my first rodeo.

• DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular

A thing I did not think to ask for until recently but have now seen: Asking for a better 401k matching schedule. Plenty of places don't let you fully vest for some number of years, and I'd never thought to negotiate for immediate or faster vesting.

What is this I don't even.
  • MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    Wow, that's some good thinking. An agreement like that pays back real money fairly quickly.

• lwt1973lwt1973 King of Thieves SyndicationRegistered User regular
    I gave detailed instructions on where to save the downloaded file for upload (even giving them a mapped drive) and what format to do so (csv).

Today I look and find the file was saved as a web page and in the history folder.

"He's sulking in his tent like Achilles! It's the Iliad?...from Homer?! READ A BOOK!!" -Handy
  • a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2018
    UBNT update: The nanoHD doesn't have the range to cover some important edge areas in my home when using mobile devices and their weak antennae.

I decided to say "fuck you wifi" and ordered a Orbi RBK53 kit from Costco for double my original budget. I realize I could have just gotten some more UBNT APs and made it work, but eh.

a5ehren on
    a5ehren wrote: »
    UBNT update: The nanoHD doesn't have the range to cover some important edge areas in my home when using mobile devices and their weak antennae.

I decided to say "fuck you wifi" and ordered a Orbi RBK53 kit from Costco for double my original budget. I realize I could have just gotten some more UBNT APs and made it work, but eh.

I have some customers that have had really good luck with Orbi.

• lwt1973lwt1973 King of Thieves SyndicationRegistered User regular
    Thawmus wrote: »
    a5ehren wrote: »

I have some customers that have had really good luck with Orbi.

Our controller got it for his house and he is loving it. No dead spots and his speeds are great. He has fiber at his house so the jump for wifi was huge.

"He's sulking in his tent like Achilles! It's the Iliad?...from Homer?! READ A BOOK!!" -Handy
    edited July 2018
    Yeah I'd love to push Amplifi because I'm a UBNT nut, but from everything I've heard, nothing holds a candle to Orbi.

Thawmus on
  • CogCog What'd you expect? Registered User regular
    holy shit, Sage, could your software possibly take longer to update itself?

• ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Yeah I'd love to push Amplifi because I'm a UBNT nut, but from everything I've heard, nothing holds a candle to Orbi.

Eero is miles better, but eh. Just my personal preference at that point.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular
    However had the Veeam VEEAM issue last thread

I think: permissions issue

Is Veeam using a local admin account for the backup target? Does that account have permissions to do the things with the sql

It has been a while since I used Veeam but the last time I saw that, that is what it was.

This also changed when the hosts were updated to v6.x

• SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    edited July 2018
    Only have to put in a half day tomorrow due to a Dr appointment in the AM.

Which is good because I am feeling a little burned out.

Stayed up a little later than I meant to redoing the homelab. Ovirt on the big server and Manjaro-I3 on the desktop.

Seidkona on
    Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
  • wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    in Canada we just had a a long weekend (Canada Day is July 1). I also had last Friday off, a regularly scheduled day off.

I work Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, then am going on holidays for almost 2 full weeks, missing 8 working days.

I'd show you what level I'm at on my give a shit meter but I also don't give a shit enough to even find the give a shit meter this week.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    I have no shits left to give.

Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
  • BSoBBSoB Registered User regular
    I am now making a Virtual router to router on a stick for these Vlan'd VMs.

I gotta say, after last week, doing something I already know how to do is a little boring.

So, I did a thing. I took today and yesterday off on the guise of having an extra long weekend. I used that time to meet with the guy in charge of the tech department at the hospital and discussed benefits and such. Today I took a trip downtown to get a security badge made. I gave my old boss my notice, so in two weeks I guess I have a new job!

• MyiagrosMyiagros Registered User regular
    Question about SQL backups. Veeam support is being useless and haven't provided anything that fixes this issue yet so to make sure I at least had some backups I turned off application checking (replication and backup both work without it) and set up some maintenance plans.

One thing I'm not sure of, do I need to have differentials between the Fulls? This is the schedule right now:
    Every 20 minutes from 8-5 - Transaction log backup
    Every 2 hours from 8-5 - Differential backup
    Nightly - Full backup

Two of the databases are pretty small, under 300MB when compressed, but the third is 82GB compressed and the differentials are over 4GB. As I understand it though, as long as I have the transaction logs I can take the previous full and all transaction logs up to the failure and do a restore from there. Does this mean I can skip differential and save the disk space? I'm hoping to get a month retention which will add up quick with the one database.

iRevert wrote: »
    Because if you're going to attempt to squeeze that big black monster into your slot you will need to be able to take at least 12 inches or else you're going to have a bad time...
    Steam: MyiagrosX27
  • XaviarXaviar Registered User regular
    I just replaced a logic board on a 2014 macbook.

And then had to image a new OS onto a flash drive, boot from the flash drive, and run automatic updates from the os running on the flash drive, because apple can't conceive of a situation where you would want to update the SMC to, say, support APFS, outside of the OS.

I think I might have found my own answer on the SQL backups. It looks like I should be fine going Full backups on a daily schedule and then only transactions during the work hours. Differential should not be required from what I'm reading as I can simply restore the latest Transaction to get any lost data since the last Full occurred.

Because if you're going to attempt to squeeze that big black monster into your slot you will need to be able to take at least 12 inches or else you're going to have a bad time...
  • SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular
    Myiagros wrote: »
    I think I might have found my own answer on the SQL backups. It looks like I should be fine going Full backups on a daily schedule and then only transactions during the work hours. Differential should not be required from what I'm reading as I can simply restore the latest Transaction to get any lost data since the last Full occurred.

That'll probably be fine, but it depends on the size of your data. Restoring Full + Differentials + replaying transaction logs since last differential is a little more complicated, but can be faster than restoring Full + replaying transaction logs since last full depending on the situation. Plus, Differentials are much smaller backups than Fulls, so depending on your allowed daily backup window, a full backup may not finish in the allotted time forcing the use of less frequent Fulls and differentials inbetween.

Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
    wunderbar wrote: »
    in Canada we just had a a long weekend (Canada Day is July 1). I also had last Friday off, a regularly scheduled day off.

I work Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, then am going on holidays for almost 2 full weeks, missing 8 working days.

I'd show you what level I'm at on my give a shit meter but I also don't give a shit enough to even find the give a shit meter this week.

Today is my last day before 12 days off. Can you guess where my give a shit meter is now?

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
    Our PCI Compliance scanner now wants us to use development versions of OpenSSL.

This is getting out-of-fucking-hand.

• bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Our PCI Compliance scanner now wants us to use development versions of OpenSSL.

This is getting out-of-fucking-hand.

lol that's not risky or anything

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
    I have thankfully just been informed that we're now booting them and our processor, and this is to just add to the long list of reasons why we're doing it. I am elated.

• BSoBBSoB Registered User regular
    BSoB wrote: »
    I am now making a Virtual router to router on a stick for these Vlan'd VMs.

I gotta say, after last week, doing something I already know how to do is a little boring.

I may have spoken too soon....

wait

pci compliance

as in

credit card pci compliance?

I love how shitty those compliance checks are. Total security theater. Way overboard with it, on top of that, too.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
    yea we just had our annual PCI thing. It's awful and dumb.

wunderbar wrote: »
    yea we just had our annual PCI thing. It's awful and dumb.

they make me fill it out every year for the IT side of things

we have a dumb terminal that connects via phone line

literally does not involve anything IT related

bowen wrote: »
    wait

pci compliance

as in

I love how shitty those compliance checks are. Total security theater. Way overboard with it, on top of that, too.

This compliance scanner in particular just looks at overall NIST scores, without digging any deeper into how severe it actually is, and what, if anything, the developers of that software are actually doing about it.

No intelligence allowed. I feel sorry for their staff, frankly.

Today's instance called for solving a problem that the OpenSSL developers considered such a low priority that they weren't even going to release a new version to fix it. That should be a sure-fire signal that this is stupid. Or, if you feel you're smarter than the OpenSSL devs (and hey, maybe you are!), you should probably get on their mailing list and show them why they're wrong, if this is that fucking important to you.

wait

pci compliance

as in

This compliance scanner in particular just looks at overall NIST scores, without digging any deeper into how severe it actually is, and what, if anything, the developers of that software are actually doing about it.

Today's instance called for solving a problem that the OpenSSL developers considered such a low priority that they weren't even going to release a new version to fix it. That should be a sure-fire signal that this is stupid. Or, if you feel you're smarter than the OpenSSL devs (and hey, maybe you are!), you should probably get on their mailing list and show them why they're wrong, if this is that fucking important to you.

Even better, do a pull on their code and do it yourself and they'll likely patch it at that point as long as it's well reasoned.

• mojojoeomojojoeo A block off the park, living the dream.Registered User regular
    wait

pci compliance

as in

Even better, do a pull on their code and do it yourself and they'll likely patch it at that point as long as it's well reasoned.

I know of a company in town who gives thier compliance checking firm the wrong ip (they own the ip its just not used).
    "Wow this is so secure, I cant get through anywhere on that ip"

:|

Chief Wiggum: "Ladies, please. All our founding fathers, astronauts, and World Series heroes have been either drunk or on cocaine."
    mojojoeo wrote: »
    wait

pci compliance

as in

I know of a company in town who gives thier compliance checking firm the wrong ip (they own the ip its just not used).

Genius.

edited July 2018
    Apparently the transaction log backups every 20 minutes is causing a big hit on application performance. Now the digging resumes trying to figure out why that is happening, 9MB was the largest log from this morning.

Must say, this is quite the crash course on SQL maintenance. Never had to deal with it in the past because the software vendors would set up their own maintenance plans and backups just worked.

Myiagros on
    mojojoeo wrote: »
    wait

pci compliance

as in

No Intelligence Allowed.

• Bendery It Like BeckhamBendery It Like Beckham Hopeless Registered User regular
    Have I mentioned part of my job has, at times, been to round up goats? We pay some guy to graze his goats and sheep on the wetlands of our property/hills.

They get out sometimes and it is the best day ever.

Have I mentioned part of my job has, at times, been to round up goats? We pay some guy to graze his goats and sheep on the wetlands of our property/hills.

There are days where that honestly sounds better than my job.

I know a lot of people hate doing stuff like this but I fucking love getting out of my office and being tasked with something super weird like this. Kudos.

I know a lot of people hate doing stuff like this but I fucking love getting out of my office and being tasked with something super weird like this. Kudos.

I agree except for the one time it was horses. Fuck horses.

This discussion has been closed.