As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Sysadmin] Improper Wireshark use has restarted the editor wars.

• Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    We don't have a second tier of workstation admins between domain admin and normal users.

Workstation admin tasks are done with domain admin logins.

But we also spot check domain admin logins and make sure that IT people aren't using them for general office tasks.

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    RandomHajileRandomHajile Not actually a Snatcher The New KremlinRegistered User regular
    Feral wrote: »
    We don't have a second tier of workstation admins between domain admin and normal users.

Workstation admin tasks are done with domain admin logins.

But we also spot check domain admin logins and make sure that IT people aren't using them for general office tasks.
    I only want people doing two things with their admin accounts: Server administration, and joining PCs to the domain. The local admin account can do pretty much everything except map network drives, and all of our software is on a network drive that can be mapped by a regular user account.

• Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    Guys, I just got back to the office after 12 days off. I had to put on pants for the first time in 10 days this morning.

I am not happy.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    wunderbar wrote: »
    Guys, I just got back to the office after 12 days off. I had to put on pants for the first time in 10 days this morning.

I am not happy.

Ladies

Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
  • Options
    lwt1973lwt1973 King of Thieves SyndicationRegistered User regular
    We have a program that after the latest Windows upgrade doesn't work unless you have the UAC to the default.

We have a program that won't work unless you have the UAC off.

"He's sulking in his tent like Achilles! It's the Iliad?...from Homer?! READ A BOOK!!" -Handy
  • Options
    lwt1973 wrote: »
    We have a program that after the latest Windows upgrade doesn't work unless you have the UAC to the default.

We have a program that won't work unless you have the UAC off.

solution: 2 computers for everyone.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    the "I am going to see if you have UAC off" type programs are great because you can't even add an exception to them since they're checking UAC directly not if they have the rights to the stuff they need access to.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    That is a thing?

Wtf?

• Options
    ThawmusThawmus +Jackface Registered User regular
    Come back to work today, and after lengthy discussions about direction, I'm left asking, "Wait, so are we talking revenue or profit?"

Everyone looks down, nobody answers. Nobody fucking knows.

Me: "Okay neat, so while I've been gone we've had this grand emergency regarding a report nobody has properly interpreted. Cool. Cool cool cool."

Guess I should really buckle down on this Crestron shit!

Twitch: Thawmus83
  • Options
    Entaru wrote: »
    That is a thing?

Wtf?

Yes.

Programmers are some of the laziest and dumb people sometimes.

Lazy is a desirable talent in us, though, but only if you're smart about it.

Also there are a lot of bad practices that are hard to get out of the habit of doing, like storing shit right in your program's executable directory.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    twmjrtwmjr Registered User regular
    I used powershell for something today for the first time and I think I like it?

• Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    twmjr wrote: »

https://youtu.be/9C4uTEEOJlM

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

• Options
    Guys.

Work sucks. I've already been in 2 meetings.

And I'm wearing pants.

And there is no wine.

This is the darkest timeline.

• Options
    edited July 2018

You're dead to me.

In other news I implemented a hybrid mate+i3wm setup on my work machine and I am in love.

Seidkona on
  • Options

Welcome to the club. We have cookies.

• Options
    they have cookies, but the bash/batch guys have full size candy bars, including reese's pb cups (holiday varieties)

• Options
    Fuck cookies. We have cake.

• Options
    bowen wrote: »
    they have cookies, but the bash/batch guys have full size candy bars, including reese's pb cups (holiday varieties)

cookies are objectively better than candy bars and I will fight you to the death over it.

• Options
    edited July 2018
    Powershell vs bash.

This thread's emacs vs vi.

Seidkona on
  • Options
    edited July 2018

which is better than pie and another thing I'm willing to fight to the death over.

wunderbar on
  • Options

cookies are objectively better than candy bars and I will fight you to the death over it.

what if they're just pecan sandies and not peanut butter or chocolate chip, would you still fight me about it?

• Options

what if they're just pecan sandies and not peanut butter or chocolate chip, would you still fight me about it?

there are bad cookies, yes. But there are also bad candy/chocolate bars. Like Coffee Crisp. Fuck Coffee Crisp.

• Options
    twmjrtwmjr Registered User regular
    let's say, hypothetically, that I also like bash if it's available to me

can I have all of the treats

• Options
    AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular

bash has full-size candy bars, but their sell-by date is 1992

batch has an unwrapped tootsie roll covered in dog hair

yeah I'll take the plate of fresh-baked cookies

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • Options
    also! the actual console program in W10 is about to get a major facelift which is neat

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
  • Options
    ThawmusThawmus +Jackface Registered User regular

Also fuck cake.

Just because it looks like it might be fun.

Twitch: Thawmus83
  • Options
    Newer doesn't always equal better.

I mean your link kinda proves that.

• Options
    KakodaimonosKakodaimonos Code fondler Helping the 1% get richerRegistered User regular
    Hahahaha.

Our colo site just had the electrician cut the power to the wrong row.

There's more than one question about why they are cutting power during the day.

• Options
    Remember when everyone told me I was just an old man who hates change because Windows 8's metro UI was fucking awful?

Remember when microsoft went "yeah we made a mistake, metro's UI is fucking awful"

I do.

Because it was fucking awful.

Even if it was new and different, I'm a computer guy, new and different is my lifeblood.

• Options

No but an object-oriented command line is absolutely better than a text-only command line.

• Options
    I'm the weirdo who still believes there was nothing wrong with the start screen as a concept, more in some of the execution (too many hidden elements in its initial design, search problems, etc)

• Options
    edited July 2018
    Aioua wrote: »

No but an object-oriented command line is absolutely better than a text-only command line.

Not if it has to sacrifice being a good shell to do it though.

If I wanted an oo shell I'd load up tcsh.

Seidkona on
  • Options
    There still isn't anything wrong with it... if you're using a tablet.

It just does not mesh with the user experience of a desktop or power user at all. It's broken. They were trying to unify their platforms like apple sorta did, except they took the wrong approach to it and focused on the wrong things. They expected those convertible laptops to be THE devices of the new decade and docking systems to be much more ubiquitous and it just... it just didn't work. If their docking system disabled the metro UI and everything went to back to "windows as usual" it might have actually worked.

But the way metro forced you to do it the metro way just wasn't going to fly with people with 3 monitors doing 30 tasks at once, which are the market you have to break into first before you trickle down to the end users. If you attack the end user first, you have no support scheme and no one's going to help them get accustomed to it.

• Options
    That said, the initial surface lines and their phones were amazingly good.

• Options

There's something awful about not being able to do simple dos commands from power shell that annoys me. I shouldn't have to type a whole sentence to get dir list.

• Options

There's something awful about not being able to do simple dos commands from power shell that annoys me. I shouldn't have to type a whole sentence to get dir list.

You don't?

Common DOS commands are aliases for their Powershell equivalents

DIR works, it just invokes Get-ChildItem

• Options
    I am also not the typical computer user. I just bragged earlier in the thread about creating my own Frankenstein desktop environment on my work machine so I could use my mouse less and have more text on all of my screens.

Ymmv

• Options

wat

are you like, mad that dir is aliased to Get-ChildItem by default?

you can remove the alias if you really want dir for some reason

then you can get back a blob of useless text instead of a nice collection of objects, hooray!

• Options

what don't you like about powershell as a shell?

• Options
    That is why grep, sed, awk exist

This discussion has been closed.