As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[NBA] Thread: Dame Ascending to Final Form

• LeeksLeeks Registered User regular
    Knight_ wrote: »
    just means that there are more teams who will tank.

getting the 8th seed is a disaster for your franchise.

I don't know, we will see how the offseason plays out, but getting the 8th seed, and taking a couple games from Golden State may have been a very good thing for the Clippers.

• MaximumMaximum Registered User regular
    I like it. There should be more randomness for the #1 overall. The same two shitty teams shouldn't get to ruin every lottery pick. Less stupidly complicated draft pick trades too, potentially.

• MagellMagell Detroit Machine Guns Fort MyersRegistered User regular

I think making the playoffs makes for a strong pitch during free agency.

• Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    Leeks wrote: »

I don't know, we will see how the offseason plays out, but getting the 8th seed, and taking a couple games from Golden State may have been a very good thing for the Clippers.

getting the 8th seed once can be ok as long as you're on your way up or down.

the sixers were trapped in the bottom seeds for a decade. never bad enough to get anyone good but best finish was one year at 6th. 3 7th, one 8th, 4 9th and a couple 11th. the one year at 13th they moved up in the lottery but only to #2 and ended up with turner, which we all know how that story went.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • burboburbo Registered User regular
    I think i would rather have no draft, but have very limited exceptions for teams over the cap to get rookies. I would also probably relax the rookie scale somewhat.

• KasynKasyn I'm not saying I don't like our chances. She called me the master.Registered User regular
    I'm more or less fine with the current system, now that they've tweaked the odds a bit a few years back.

I would much rather have the top picks tied directly to the results of an abbreviated playoffs among the teams who didn't make the standard postseason, though.

• XehalusXehalus Registered User regular
    edited May 2019
    I bet Zion is gonna stay at Duke haha

Xehalus on
  • Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    Xehalus wrote: »

Pretty sure he's already ineligible due to hiring an agent. He could go play overseas for a year if he was that desperate to not go to NO, but I really don't see that happening.

• Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    It would do nothing but hurt him to not play in the NBA next year.

• SirToastySirToasty Registered User regular
    Goose! wrote: »

Pretty sure he's already ineligible due to hiring an agent. He could go play overseas for a year if he was that desperate to not go to NO, but I really don't see that happening.

The rules changed either last year or the year before. Hiring an agent no longer precludes a player from returning to school. The only condition is that they must have attended the combine.

• UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    edited May 2019
    Re drafting and tanking - there’s an idea that’s slowly gaining traction in hockey where draft position would be based on most points gained after being mathematically eliminated from the playoffs. Teams eliminated first would have a bit of an advantage in that they’d get more games in which to earn points, but they’re also likely weaker teams.

The main thing it would accomplish is giving teams a reason to play/compete right up to the last game, instead of rewarding teams for not trying.

UnbrokenEva on
  • Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    I was wrong

Very interesting they he left that option open for himself. He's probably still going to end up in New Orleans since I can't see anybody doing that but that it's even an option is intriguing.

I would def go back to Duke

Pels are gonna dump salary now and dealing with that will suck

• NiryaNirya Registered User regular
    But again, the rules changed this last year, making it so players can hire an agent, but it won’t hurt their draft eligibility if they then withdraw from the draft and return to school.

The bigger thing is Duke has already recruited and signed players with the understanding that Zion is gone. If he magically chose to return, I’m actually not sure what Duke does.

t70pctuqq2uv.png
    3DS: 2981-5304-3227
    Nirya wrote: »
    But again, the rules changed this last year, making it so players can hire an agent, but it won’t hurt their draft eligibility if they then withdraw from the draft and return to school.

The bigger thing is Duke has already recruited and signed players with the understanding that Zion is gone. If he magically chose to return, I’m actually not sure what Duke does.

Oh did that go into effect? I thought it was just floated not official.

• DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    Going to New Orleans would be a much better gig for him than going back to college and not getting paid. And I'm having a hard time figuring out if this is something that's actually being discussed by Zion or a ton of wishful thinking from like...Knicks fans

also Eastern Conference Finals MVP Brook Lopez is go

• NiryaNirya Registered User regular
    Goose! wrote: »
    Nirya wrote: »

Oh did that go into effect? I thought it was just floated not official.

Yeah, that one is official.

t70pctuqq2uv.png
    3DS: 2981-5304-3227
  • Trajan45Trajan45 Registered User regular
    DJ Eebs wrote: »
    Going to New Orleans would be a much better gig for him than going back to college and not getting paid. And I'm having a hard time figuring out if this is something that's actually being discussed by Zion or a ton of wishful thinking from like...Knicks fans

Yeah not sure why any player that is a lottery pick would ever go back to college. Put in his 4-5 years in NO and if he wants to move elsewhere, go for it. But at least you're getting paid.

Not sure why NO's that bad of a destination anyways. They have a GM now that seems to be highly regarded in the league. They have 2 options and both are really favorable.

1) AD stays with Zion and they have a core 3 of AD, Zion, and Holiday. That alone would boost them to playoff contention.

2) They trade AD and get back a haul of young talent or picks. Then build around a young core.

I've seen some decent trades posted already. The Knick's could send the #3 pick and Kevin Knox to NO for Davis. Apparently RJ and Zion are good friends. The Celtics have picks they could send. Even the Lakers could now send the 4th pick and some assets (though probably not likely given last seasons drama).

Origin ID\ Steam ID: Warder45
  • DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    edited May 2019
    I'm fairly certain that all of the anti New Orleans speculation is coming from a bunch of salty Knicks fans who don't quite understand that when you're a young millionaire it doesn't actually matter which city you live in, your life is amazing regardless. Every city has the ability to offer the wealthy and rich the lap of luxury.

yes, maybe given the choice of where to play he might not have chosen New Orleans, but that doesn't mean he's going to turn down 4 million dollars a year or whatever the rookie scale contract is for a first pick to go back to school, where at best he's making a few tens of thousands of year under the table illegally.

and when it comes to player development, even if New Orleans was the worst team in the league, which they aren't, playing for the worst NBA team in the league is a hell of a lot better than playing for the best college. more resources, more time to practice, better view of the life, better access to nutrition, better access to trainers, better access to medical care, and better access to better players.

You could honestly completely remove the NCAA overnight and replace it with an expanded G-League with academies and development leagues like motorsport or soccer, and the sport would be better off. The NCAA adds nothing that can't be done better by something else.

Dhalphir on
  • ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    Going back to Duke would also put off his inevitable endorsement deals which will almost certainly dwarf his rookie contract.

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    He’s from Greenville SC and looks like he spends his spare time bench pressing houses

Zion might love staying in the South

• cursedkingcursedking Registered User regular
    edited May 2019
    can you imagine being young and rich and living in new orleans

like, the cost of living compared to other cities he could have gone is insane, its a fun town, there's lots to do....

cursedking on
    Types: Boom + Robo | Food: Sweet | Habitat: Plains
  • TheBigEasyTheBigEasy Registered User regular
    Wait, what? New Orleans won the draft lottery? Wow.

Ok, this Zion guy, how good is he? Wouldn't it be a good idea for Davis to stay now?

Zion has been compared to Charles Barkley

short for a PF but can run around and over people

Davis has already said he still wants to be traded.

Also, Zion's stepfather says he isn't going back to Duke, so there goes that media storyline.

• Trajan45Trajan45 Registered User regular
    He's also supposed to have a great attitude. I was listening to the BS podcast and they mentioned his only weakness is his outside shooting which he's already acknowledged and wants to work on.

Most folks think he's one of the best prospects since Lebron, AD, and Durant. There's a chance he doesn't make that level but there's at least that chance.

Origin ID\ Steam ID: Warder45
  • cursedkingcursedking Registered User regular
    as long as some shoe goblins don't try to undermine his very powerful feet again

Types: Boom + Robo | Food: Sweet | Habitat: Plains
  • Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    Zion has been compared to Charles Barkley

short for a PF but can run around and over people

I know this is the comparison, but Barkley himself said Zion appears to be the way more gifted player

• Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    I really really like Zion. He seems like a really good kid.

Its just too bad he went to Duke.

• BobbleBobble Registered User regular
    Butters wrote: »
    Going back to Duke would also put off his inevitable endorsement deals which will almost certainly dwarf his rookie contract.

It's also one more year to wait for that second NBA contract, which is when you get the mega $. It's too much money in every way. There's no reason to go back to college.

• Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    Bobble wrote: »

It's also one more year to wait for that second NBA contract, which is when you get the mega $. It's too much money in every way. There's no reason to go back to college.

Can he even wait? I keep reading that if he waits, the Pels still have his drafting rights into perpetuity. So the only leverage he has is literally "not playing". Like, why not just play for the Pelicans and demand a trade the entire time?

Can he even wait? I keep reading that if he waits, the Pels still have his drafting rights into perpetuity. So the only leverage he has is literally "not playing". Like, why not just play for the Pelicans and demand a trade the entire time?

He would have to withdraw from the draft to return to Duke, so there would be no draft rights.

• Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    edited May 2019

The only other move is go to Europe and play there for 3 years and then you’re not bound to rookie scale. Super risky though and not much point after you already did the worst part, being in the ncaa for no money.

And you still have to play for the pelicans for 3 years anyway.

Knight_ on
    aeNqQM9.jpg
    Wow, Mark Jackson talking shit about Meyers on the bench seems really shitty. Calling him out on his character just because he was frustrated.

• DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular

they haven't drafted him yet, the whole nonsense is predicated on the idea that he withdraws now, not that he waits for the draft and then withdraws

edited May 2019
    Wow, full splits from steph curry on that 3 pointer trying to flop for that call.

burbo on
    Great half Blazers! I think the announcers have said more nice things about Looney and Dell fucking Curry than anyone on the Blazers, but fuck em.

• So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    I like this defense so far

This discussion has been closed.