As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[NBA] Thread: Dame Ascending to Final Form

• XehalusXehalus Registered User regular
    they are trying to kill Stephen A

• burboburbo Registered User regular
    God, that sure would be nice.

• ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    I can't recall the last time I saw Steph Curry hack someone and not get called for it. But maybe they just don't show it on screen.

He hacks, he reaches in, he bumps, and he pushes when off the ball. All the small guards do it now because it's so rarely called. Corner threes aren't the only thing killing the low post game. Smaller players are allowed A TON of leeway when guarding bigger players.

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    Butters wrote: »
    I can't recall the last time I saw Steph Curry hack someone and not get called for it. But maybe they just don't show it on screen.

He hacks, he reaches in, he bumps, and he pushes when off the ball. All the small guards do it now because it's so rarely called. Corner threes aren't the only thing killing the low post game. Smaller players are allowed A TON of leeway when guarding bigger players.

I mean...that's generally true as a rule. Big players don't get foul calls because they're so much bigger and stronger that the refs will swallow their whistle. The alternative is that you can literally never guard them based on the current rules in the NBA, because they will just back you down and either get a free foul or an easy bucket (or both).

But even if that's the case, and even if you take for granted that Steph does this more than other small players (which from what I've seen is not true at all), how does that refute the argument that Steph gets hacked more than most players and doesn't get the benefit of the whistle in comparison to his peers? Especially given his superstar status, where other superstars can get breathed upon and will get a whistle call?

Like, I'm not even a Warriors fan and it's blatantly obvious to me that Steph gets mauled on a daily basis and doesn't get called. He has literally altered the way he falls down on three-point shots because the refs allow other players to undercut him, while they give players like James Harden a 3-foot no-go zone whenever they jump up in the air, even if they are falling forward.

• NiryaNirya Registered User regular
    I feel like the refereeing in this game, particularly down the stretch, has actively hurt the Bucks.

t70pctuqq2uv.png
    3DS: 2981-5304-3227
    I thought it was hard on the bucks too

• DixonDixon Screwed...possibly doomed CanadaRegistered User regular
    I missed the game but that’s awesome raptors took the lead in the series.

I thought they were gonna get swept but they’ve been playing well.

Not sure what we’ll do against GSW if we win but that’s okay

• DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
  • DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    Nirya wrote: »
    I feel like the refereeing in this game, particularly down the stretch, has actively hurt the Bucks.

at the very least the calls that went to review I felt were all correctly made.

I never try to think about whether foul calls are correct or not since it's moving far too quick for me to have any idea.

Kawhi gonna slay the Warriors

• Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    Kawhi having a very Lebron-sequel run here

• UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    holy shit, the Raptors were down by 10 or so when I got up to get food

came back and it was tied, now 87-79 for Toronto with 6:46 to go

• fightinfilipinofightinfilipino Angry as Hell #BLMRegistered User regular
    so, uh, the Bucks are losing?

ffNewSig.png
    steam | Dokkan: 868846562
  • UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    so, uh, the Bucks are losing?

they've almost tied it back up

this is going to be close either way

edited May 2019
    that dunk stirred some feels

edit: yyyeeeaaahhhh finals

Dixon on
  • Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    Well!

Kawhi is unstoppable

4 in a row, thats crazy

• PsykomaPsykoma Registered User regular
    edited May 2019
    I'm not a basketball watcher, but I know my brother's been a big fan of the raptors since moving to toronto like seven years ago, watching every game.
    I'm sure he's very happy at this, he was pretty convinced milwaukee would win this series.

Psykoma on
  • The Cow KingThe Cow King a island Registered User regular
    edited May 2019
    FINALS APPERANCE WE IN THERE YALL

LORD AND SAVIOUR KAWHI BLESSED BE HIS NAME

The Cow King on
    icGJy2C.png
  • Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    giannis vanished off the earth, and shockingly the bucks aren't good enough without him

it's going to be very fun when he wins mvp after giving up like that.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    Knight_ wrote: »
    giannis vanished off the earth, and shockingly the bucks aren't good enough without him

It's a regular season award

• Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    Goose! wrote: »

ask james harden how that goes, you still get brutalized for 6 months.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    I don't think he gave up. I think the Raptors just realised that Giannis penetration is the Bucks entire offense and dedicated everything to stopping him.

• EinzelEinzel Registered User regular
    Goose! wrote: »

Also it's kind of an award for exactly that - if the team doesn't have the mvp, they're poop.

• Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    Giannis also had Kawhi on him pretty much exclusively for the last 3 games, which somehow worked because Kawhi has a ridiculous wingspan and he can guard anyone who isn't Yao Ming in the paint. And the Bucks didn't have anyone that Giannis could reliably turn to as an outlet.

• Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    The Raptors were always the better team.

Bucks just had the better individual player and one they figured out how to slow him down a little they didn't have enough.

okay so i’m admittedly coming into this as a hockey fan jumping on to the Raptors bandwagon but one thing I’ve noticed from seeing her as a guest on Canadian sports talk shows, Doris Burke seems really, really good at her job.

• jkylefultonjkylefulton Squid...or Kid? NNID - majpellRegistered User regular
    She's the best NBA analyst that ESPN has, and one of the best in the business.

tOkYVT2.jpg
    She is the best in the business and she belongs in Mark Jackson's seat.

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
    I think my favourite thing about the Raptors' run is how much it means to Toronto (and Canada) as a whole. Yes, it is a hockey city and a hockey country first, but Toronto has a huge immigrant and first/second generation immigrant community, and while plenty of newcomers to the country have and do embrace the Leafs and other hockey teams, there's an unfortunately large demographic of Canadian hockey fans who are less than welcoming to them. Also, the rest of Canada hates the Leafs and the amount of attention they get relative to other Canadian teams. In the Raptors you have a team that not only represents the diversity of Toronto as a whole, but is also a team the rest of the country can cheer for as well.

and that's after a conference finals win, if the Raps do the impossible and beat Golden State it's going to be insane

• Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    There's not enough history there for me to root against the Raps since the Knicks have been awful for the majority of the Raps franchise's existence. That coupled with wanting to see Jeremy Lin get a ring has me rooting for Toronto in the Finals.

• Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    04r4uqyandlf.jpg

I somehow feel like that has more to do with Kawhi than lebron

burbo wrote: »
    I somehow feel like that has more to do with Kawhi than lebron

Whatever you say... DRAKE!

further American sports commentator impressions: Stephen A. Smith seems like a clown. Loud, obnoxious, but mostly harmless? Skip Bayless just seems like an asshole and a shitty person.

Fearghaill wrote: »
    further American sports commentator impressions: Stephen A. Smith seems like a clown. Loud, obnoxious, but mostly harmless? Skip Bayless just seems like an asshole and a shitty person.

Stephen A is definitely not harmless. He has a history of defending athletes accused and even convicted of domestic abuse. Most notably, he continues to aggressively exclaim "alleged" whenever referring to Floyd Mayweather's domestic abuse history. A history which includes a guilty plea to charges that Mayweather served federal time for.

ugh, noted

Stephen A is a fucking tool

This discussion has been closed.