As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[NBA] Thread: Dame Ascending to Final Form

• davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    Can you imagine both Stephen A Smith and Skip Bayless on the same show, shouting at one another for hours every morning?

:bigfrown:

• EinzelEinzel Registered User regular
    Can you imagine both Stephen A Smith and Skip Bayless on the same show, shouting at one another for hours every morning?

:bigfrown:

People would love it.

• BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    SlEdX1uh.png

nate silver you crazy

• Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    I hope Nate has a blog post about how the Warriors current situation is a perfect example of where ELO breaks down

Without KD they just seamlessly reverted to their 73-game-winning style that would have got them a championship if Draymond could have helped himself from kicking Lebron in the nuts

• ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    Butters wrote: »

so far in the NHL playoffs every team to sweep a series has been swept in the next round

Jon might be on to something here

Well the Raptors just won 4 in a row so

• Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    RJ Hampton has elected to forego college and play a year overseas before entering the NBA Draft.

• Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    Yeah I just came to post that video. Specifically, he's going to play for the New Zealand Breakers in the Australian NBL:

He's a projected top-10 pick in the 2020 Draft as of now. And there's no questions of eligibility concerns. He's just getting paid now vs waiting a year. I say good for him.

• Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    Good, I’m surprised more people haven’t gone that route tbh.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    Knight_ wrote: »
    Good, I’m surprised more people haven’t gone that route tbh.

It's because the NBL's Next Stars iniative, which allows teams to offer students of HS age a short term contract that doesn't count against the 3 international player cap, was only a recent thing: http://www.nbl.com.au/news/article/nbl-to-fast-track-next-stars-of-the-nba

I feel like now the game checks aren't even the primary factor for some players but fear of bad development and disappearing inside an NCAA coach's system.

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    There were originally rumours that the Breakers had signed Carmelo.

• XehalusXehalus Registered User regular
    if I was Melo I'd go to China

• Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Just let them go into the NBA out of high school.

Problem solved.

Problem solved.

Seems like the next step is going to be allowing them to join the G League and really making it into a minor league system.

• DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    Goose! wrote: »

Problem solved.

Seems like the next step is going to be allowing them to join the G League and really making it into a minor league system.

They are already allowed to do that.

The problem with the G-League is it isn't really televised so it will never attract the seeking-endorsement-level talent. For those players it's better to get on TV playing for Duke or generate YouTube highlights from Europe for 7 months.

• BobbleBobble Registered User regular
    Plus you have to pay taxes on the money you get from the G-league.

Dhalphir wrote: »
    Goose! wrote: »

Problem solved.

They are already allowed to do that.

I thought they were still setting that up, didn't realize it was a thing already.

• DirtyboyDirtyboy Registered User regular
    Houston Rockets said fuck it, blow it up.
    Houston Rockets general manager Daryl Morey has made his entire roster and future draft picks available in trade talks, a dramatic initiative with hopes of reshaping the team into a championship contender, league sources told ESPN.

The possibility of trading All-NBA guard James Harden is believed to be extremely limited, but the rest of the roster -- including even Chris Paul and Clint Capela -- could be more realistic trade targets, sources said.

• Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    Nobody is going to touch Chris Paul without a ton of draft picks that the Rockets don't have.

Can't wait for the Knicks to fucking trade for Chris Paul

• Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    Oh man, what if the Lakers trade for CP3?

The Knicks of the West!

Kuzma/LeBron/Lonzo/Rondo/CP3

Globetrotter plays

• Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    the phrasing of "including even chris paul" as though it is some unbelievable thing is funny as fuck.

the rockets would cancel that contract in 2 seconds if they could.

aeNqQM9.jpg
    Knicks are going all-in on Kyrie Irving and Kevin Durant. So it's completely plausible they end up with Chris Paul and someone like Demarcus Cousins (or some 30+ year old) just to piss whatever remaining fans there are.

edited May 2019
    I'd love to see a team with both Kyrie Irving and Chris Paul.

(Not for basketball reasons. Just for pure entertainment value.)

Inquisitor77 on
    Houston deserves some respect for actually trying in this era of Golden State dominance when almost no one else was.

Houston deserves some respect for actually trying in this era of Golden State dominance when almost no one else was.

Plenty of other teams have tried to win. Every single one of LeBron's teams, with the exception of this past season, have all tried to win. And what's particularly egregious is that the most competitive teams with the Warriors have been the ones in their own conference: the Spurs, the Thunder, even teams like Clippers and the Mavs have all made moves to varying degrees to maximize their chances at winning. The biggest argument against teams trying to be competitive has less to do with the Warriors than it does with LeBron running off to the weaker Eastern conference. And even there, for the past two seasons the Celtics and Raptors have both made concerted efforts to win. In many of these cases, the issue has less to do with desire and more to do with competence (the Thunder in particular are everyone's favorite punching bag in this regard).

Houston deserves respect for putting together a great team that almost beat the Warriors. But pretending like they're the only ones trying does a disservice to the rest of the league.

Yeah the Blazers have been trying like hell to get players around Dame, but no big name players will come to small market Portland willingly. Which is sad because the team has plenty of money and rabid fanbase.

I love the implication of Morey offering the whole roster that it’s the system that matters there (though Harden is the perfect min/maxer)

The Spurs, Celtics, Clippers, and Mavs have all made moves to get better in the future not now. If the Celtics really wanted to compete in a championship they would have traded some of the guys they can't find enough minutes in the game to use. They built a talented roster for sure but it's a far cry from being a contender.

I am really interested to see how the Porzingis/Doncic pairing works out with Mavs. But once again, it's who can they get around them that fits.

Aren't there potential legal problems for KP? Also, we don't know how healthy he'll end up

Aren't there potential legal problems for KP? Also, we don't know how healthy he'll end up

It's kind of a weird case. She might be just trying to extort him. Who knows?

Porzingis is in the midst of a long-term program his personal team hopes will revamp his body and allow him to stay healthy for years to come. It was going to be in place with the Knicks, and the Mavericks have accepted it as well.

It's no surprise that this process has been grueling and frustrating for Porzingis, who hasn't played in an NBA game since Feb. 6, 2018. That's a long time for a player not to be able to do what they love -- especially when he's been fully recovered from his ACL tear for a few months now.

As for the legal stuff, been reading him and the accuser have been in long term physical relationship even after the rape accusation. Have a feeling will be one of those "undisclosed settlement" type deals, but does raise red flags as he seems to be a drama magnet.

• IlpalaIlpala Just this guy, y'know TexasRegistered User regular
    The Spurs, Celtics, Clippers, and Mavs have all made moves to get better in the future not now. If the Celtics really wanted to compete in a championship they would have traded some of the guys they can't find enough minutes in the game to use. They built a talented roster for sure but it's a far cry from being a contender.

Cmon, we didn't go get Lamarcus Aldridge to get better in the future, and we did what we could with the Kawhi situation, we didn't load up on picks in return.

FF XIV - Qih'to Furishu (on Siren), Battle.Net - Ilpala#1975
    Switch - SW-7373-3669-3011
    Fuck Joe Manchin
  • burboburbo Registered User regular
    Finals today! Toronto lets gooooooooooo!

Boogie is active

This discussion has been closed.