As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[NBA] Thread: Dame Ascending to Final Form

• Options
    TheBigEasyTheBigEasy Registered User regular
    Butters wrote: »
    TheBigEasy wrote: »
    Tony Parker is leaving the Spurs? What is happening?

He's 36 and Manu is 40. This was all going to end one day and frankly it's probably 2-3 years overdue.

Ok - but I thought he'd just retire. Manu did retire though, right?

• Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular

He's 36 and Manu is 40. This was all going to end one day and frankly it's probably 2-3 years overdue.

I think it already ended...

• Options
    ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    If I'm Tony Parker and someone is still willing to pay me presumably to come off the bench why not?

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    IlpalaIlpala Just this guy, y'know TexasRegistered User regular

Ok - but I thought he'd just retire. Manu did retire though, right?

Manu is the Frank Gore of the NBA. You ask yourself this question every year, but no, he's still doing his thing at a serviceable level, even if his glory days are long in the past.

FF XIV - Qih'to Furishu (on Siren), Battle.Net - Ilpala#1975
    Switch - SW-7373-3669-3011
    Fuck Joe Manchin
  • Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Manu will bring his bat slapping talents somewhere.

• Options
    y2jake215y2jake215 certified Flat Birther theorist the Last Good Boy onlineRegistered User regular
    edited July 2018
    Oops wrong thread

y2jake215 on
    C8Ft8GE.jpg
    maybe i'm streaming terrible dj right now if i am its here
  • Options
    Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    this conversation reminded me about manu's chinese nickname being the demon blade and that's still really great.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    Randy ButternubbsRandy Butternubbs Registered User regular
    edited July 2018
    Are the Spurs just going for a straight rebuild? After 20 years are they now going to actually cleanly transition from a perrenial contender to a rebuild at the proper time without issues? Would they be the first dynasty to not be super dumb and try to prop open an already closed window with overpriced vets?

Randy Butternubbs on
  • Options
    Are the Spurs just going for a straight rebuild? After 20 years are they now going to actually cleanly transition from a perrenial contender to a rebuild at the proper time without issues? Would they be the first dynasty to not be super dumb and try to prop open an already closed window with overpriced vets?

I feel like the answer to this question hinges entirely on Kawhi. We move him, then yea, we're rebuilding. If we keep him, we try to see how much damage a year can heal ala PG and straddle that fence til we know one way or the other.

Fuck Joe Manchin
  • Options

Sure man, Melo is right there. Might be possible to get Dwight too.

• Options
    Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    I mean, Kawhi's threatening to sit the year out if they don't trade him, so I feel like rebuild is on regardless.

• Options
    XehalusXehalus Registered User regular
    edited July 2018
  • Options
    has any NBA executive watched carmelo anthony play basketball in the last 5 years.

sometimes i wonder.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    Houston went 7-44 from three in game 7 and their solution is to add the guy who was asked to do nothing but take open threes and managed 21% in the playoffs?

John Oliver cool gif

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    MaximumMaximum Registered User regular
    I would like to meet some OKC fans that actually paid real money for a Carmelo jersey.

• Options
    Goose! wrote: »
    I mean, Kawhi's threatening to sit the year out if they don't trade him, so I feel like rebuild is on regardless.

I'll believe that when I see it. It's easy to talk that shit, but when you have the prospect of asking people to pay you having played nine games in two years coming off what's been described as a chronic-type injury and you gotta convince them you won't pull the same shit you just did to the Spurs, things might look a little different.

And that's if he even gets away with it in the first place. I could see the Spurs fighting that shit in court.

Fuck Joe Manchin
  • Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    Ilpala wrote: »
    Goose! wrote: »

I'll believe that when I see it. It's easy to talk that shit, but when you have the prospect of asking people to pay you having played nine games in two years coming off what's been described as a chronic-type injury and you gotta convince them you won't pull the same shit you just did to the Spurs, things might look a little different.

And that's if he even gets away with it in the first place. I could see the Spurs fighting that shit in court.

It would 100% kill his value on the market.

• Options
    I'm not saying the Spurs shouldn't play some level of hardball but I don't think taking him to court will play well with future free agents.

• Options
    MaximumMaximum Registered User regular
    There is no way he sits out an entire season. It would be crazy.

• Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    qojutd133l4f.jpg

• Options
  • Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    we're starting to see the influence of Steph Curry from a few years ago on this crop of rookies.

• Options
    edited July 2018
    Young still has too much motion to shoot as well as Curry, meaning there’s more room for error when he’s launching the ball with his whole arm starting with a load at waist height, versus mostly just through a ridiculously strong and compact wrist flick like Steph does it.

Chucking the ball from mid court with 5 seconds on the shot clock without Steph’s mechanics is a quick way to end your career.

But also that was cool as shit and I should shut up

Captain Inertia on
  • Options
    Trajan45Trajan45 Registered User regular
    edited July 2018
    Adam Silver mentioned that all the owners are on board with lowering the NBA age limit from 19 to 18. Now it's up to the players association.

EDIT: eh, it's his personal view based on discussions with the owners. Way to leave that out ESPN. Still good news.

Trajan45 on
    Origin ID\ Steam ID: Warder45
  • Options
    jkylefultonjkylefulton Squid...or Kid? NNID - majpellRegistered User regular
    Allow high schoolers into the league, and add two teams (one in Seattle, one in Vancouver or Vegas). Win-win for players and owners.

tOkYVT2.jpg
  • Options
    anything that sticks it to the NCAA

• Options
    y2jake215y2jake215 certified Flat Birther theorist the Last Good Boy onlineRegistered User regular
    C8Ft8GE.jpg
  • Options
    MarathonMarathon Registered User regular
    y2jake215 wrote: »

Kid burned him hard too with the “at least you didn’t hide behind a burner” line.

• Options
    Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    edited July 2018
    Somebody should find KD a hobby.

One that isn't "posting on social media."

I hate that hobby, it sucks.

Goose! on
  • Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    I'm glad he didn't come out as a complete weiner until he left OKC.

• Options
    I feel he was 83% wiener even then though

• Options
    I feel he was 83% wiener even then though

He seemed to hide it well. He was a pillar of the community and he had that empassioned MVP speech.

If you told me this was the same guy I wouldn't believe you.

• Options
    TransporterTransporter Registered User regular
    I’m kinda split on this.

On one hand, we kind of have this societal expectation that any and all rich and famous people should be above all criticism leveled at them because money.

Which creates this nice bubble of, “ well, they have money, so I can say whatever shit I want and have no actual consequence because they are rich.”

On the other hand it’s clearly unhealthy for KD because instead of one person coming at him it’s thousands literally every day.

But again, he’s just a person. Why can’t a person respond to shittalk just because they’re famous?(I know it’s because it feeds the trolls and empowers them. But foes that like, truly take away from their already massive one-sided line of communication? I mean they're gonna say shit anyway.)

It’s kind of a rock and a hard place.

• Options
    I feel like you can respond without being a weiner though.

• Options
    i feel like kd should probably be able to not fall to the bait from a teenager just posting their hot takes on the internet.

esp if you're bad enough at posting to get absolutely annihilated by said teenager.

i ain't fool enough to take on teens today, i'd get my shit lit up.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    you always take the high road in petty arguments like that

that kid got the confrontation/attention they were looking for

• Options
    edited July 2018
    Breaking: Kevin Durant has signed a 1 year deal with instagram account @bucketscenter

y2jake215 on
    C8Ft8GE.jpg
  • Options
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    His family’s gonna have to move again huh

Captain Inertia on
This discussion has been closed.