As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The [Android Games] thread

1234568»

• urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    Game Dev Tycoon has me all sorts of addicted.

• JusticeJustice Registered User regular
    edited October 2019
    I'm playing Card Crawl a lot. I can't figure out if that's because it's actually really good or if it just hits the sweet spot of brainless-but-still-distracting that I need right now. It's available on Play Pass.

The other really promising game I found in my furious dive through Pass was Thimbleweed Park, a Kings-Quest-esque point and click adventure. It's clever, and the display and controls are fantastically suited to playing on the phone. I haven't gotten too far in yet; will update when I can speak to its longevity. But it solves some of the things I've found really annoying about adventure games, like providing a "reveal hot spots" function rather than making you poke at everything on screen like a hidden object minigame.

Justice on
  • taliosfalcontaliosfalcon Registered User regular
    Cod mobile is actually pretty good.. Except for the masses of bots..my average 100 player BR game has... 2 teams or 8 people and the rest are terrible bots

steam xbox - adeptpenguin
  • ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Oh hey, it's been taken down because of stolen Halo 4 artwork. Oops.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
    I'll give Stellaris a shot. I'm starting to wonder if my view of myself as someone who likes 4X space games is just wrong. Uciana is a mobile 4X that didn't click with me, despite having more-or-less good controls. And I got instantly bored with Sword in Stars on PC.

I like exploration, trading, and tactical combat, but maybe not micromanaging production stacks.

• DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    Justice wrote: »
    I'll give Stellaris a shot. I'm starting to wonder if my view of myself as someone who likes 4X space games is just wrong. Uciana is a mobile 4X that didn't click with me, despite having more-or-less good controls. And I got instantly bored with Sword in Stars on PC.

I like exploration, trading, and tactical combat, but maybe not micromanaging production stacks.

I always want to like 4x games, but I'm fucking terrible at them. No matter how much advice I read or how many videos I watch, I always get fucking annihilated quickly by even the easiest AI.

JtgVX0H.png
  • JazzJazz Registered User regular
    Darmak wrote: »

I always want to like 4x games, but I'm fucking terrible at them. No matter how much advice I read or how many videos I watch, I always get fucking annihilated quickly by even the easiest AI.

I'm basically like that with strategy games in general, regardless of scale. But I want to like them - hell, I do like them. But I am awful at them, and more so the more complex they get - and modern ones often get pretty damn complex.

• BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    I'm super excited for Stellaris on phones.

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    Brody wrote: »
    I'm super excited for Stellaris on phones.

The reports from before it was pulled had it as a generic clash of clans thing which is disappointing

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
    Jazz wrote: »

I'm basically like that with strategy games in general, regardless of scale. But I want to like them - hell, I do like them. But I am awful at them, and more so the more complex they get - and modern ones often get pretty damn complex.

True, I'm awful at rts and tbs games too. Even simpler ones like Advance Wars and Wargroove. Yet I continue to buy them for some reason, hoping one day they will click with me

JtgVX0H.png
  • furlionfurlion Riskbreaker Lea MondeRegistered User regular

True, I'm awful at rts and tbs games too. Even simpler ones like Advance Wars and Wargroove. Yet I continue to buy them for some reason, hoping one day they will click with me

Advance wars was a humbling experience for my brother and me. Surely this cartoonish game boy game will not challenge us, we have been gaming for almost a decade at that point. It was the first RTS we played since they tend to be pretty scarce on consoles. We were wrong.

sig.gif Gamertag: KL Retribution
    PSN:Furlion
  • OrogogusOrogogus San DiegoRegistered User regular
    furlion wrote: »

Advance wars was a humbling experience for my brother and me. Surely this cartoonish game boy game will not challenge us, we have been gaming for almost a decade at that point. It was the first RTS we played since they tend to be pretty scarce on consoles. We were wrong.

Aren't they TBS games?

• El FantasticoEl Fantastico Toronto, ONRegistered User regular
    Not sure what the potential base is for people who like mobile games and King of Fighters, but King of Fighters All Star just launched and it's been fun to play.

Gameplay's very easy to handle, but there are a LOT of systems in play. New characters are part of a gacha pool, but because it's a launch celebration, plenty of free goodies going on, including free 4 and 5* characters. It does a nice thing of suggesting that someone like Kyo from KoF '94 is a 3* unit, but Kyo from KoF '96 is 5*. However, all characters can go up to 6* so I don't think base rank matters so much as everyone's viable once you put in the time and effort.

But I'm not joking when I say there are a lot of systems in play. It has a tower of trials, pvp with live players, an arena mode with offline players, upgrading characters is done on a skill-tree kind of thing which is very large (eventually you want to upgrade everything on your favourite characters, it's just going to be very resource-intensive) and probably the best feature of all is if you want to farm material stages for exp boost items or cores to unlock character traits, you can let the game auto-battle for you and it will move past the loading and tap screens on it's own. I just set the game to farm a stage 10 times in a row while I typed this out. Best feature ever that I'm surprised more games of this nature haven't done before.

PSN: TheArcadeBear
    Steam: TheArcadeBear

• AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    edited October 2019
    So that's a Gatcha game with auto battle. Does it also have a plethora of cash shop items and a stamina bar that is always full at the early levels?

Aldo on
  • Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    Not sure what the potential base is for people who like mobile games and King of Fighters, but King of Fighters All Star just launched and it's been fun to play.

Gameplay's very easy to handle, but there are a LOT of systems in play. New characters are part of a gacha pool, but because it's a launch celebration, plenty of free goodies going on, including free 4 and 5* characters. It does a nice thing of suggesting that someone like Kyo from KoF '94 is a 3* unit, but Kyo from KoF '96 is 5*. However, all characters can go up to 6* so I don't think base rank matters so much as everyone's viable once you put in the time and effort.

But I'm not joking when I say there are a lot of systems in play. It has a tower of trials, pvp with live players, an arena mode with offline players, upgrading characters is done on a skill-tree kind of thing which is very large (eventually you want to upgrade everything on your favourite characters, it's just going to be very resource-intensive) and probably the best feature of all is if you want to farm material stages for exp boost items or cores to unlock character traits, you can let the game auto-battle for you and it will move past the loading and tap screens on it's own. I just set the game to farm a stage 10 times in a row while I typed this out. Best feature ever that I'm surprised more games of this nature haven't done before.

But is there any gameplay?

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • El FantasticoEl Fantastico Toronto, ONRegistered User regular
    The gameplay is there. The farming stages are meant to be farmed, so I don't mind there being an easy option to let it do its thing.

The story stages and pvp are actually where the gameplay seems to be. Difficulty ramps up and every character-version has different specials from their moveset (which are each done at the press of a single button - no fighting move controls necessary here). 94 Kyo plays differently from 95 and 96 Kyo mostly by which 3 specials and finishers they have access to and how to string them together for combos.

Then you have types (attack, defend, balance) and 5 colours that act as the paper-rock-scissors-neutral strategy.

If the gacha model doesn't sound like your thing, thats a personal choice. I can enjoy these games once in a while and getting in during a launch means I can extend the game life a bit because they hand out a lot versus jumping in after 6 months or whatever.

I'm also a big KoF fan, and for the most part, this game is doing the series justice. I've played a lot worse gachas with stupider gameplay and more predatory purchasing options than this one.

PSN: TheArcadeBear
    Steam: TheArcadeBear

• warder808warder808 Registered User regular
    Brody wrote: »
    urahonky wrote: »
    The list of things I'd do for them to just release it on Switch is so long that I'd be typing it up for a month.

I'd rather they release Tactics Ogre. Or *gasp*, a new Tactics game. Go back to the real grim dark roots.

Fell Seal: Arbiter's Mark is a pretty good FFT style tactics game on the Switch.

steam_sig.png
  • DirtyboyDirtyboy Registered User regular
    Picked up the new Amazon Fire HD 10 tablet on Black Friday ($99) and promptly installed Google Play store and am in process of installing my Kairosoft games. My old eyes and chubby fingers are very pleased going from old 7" to new 10" tablet.

So, I finished Thimbleweed Park. It's an adventure game by the creators of Monkey Island and Maniac Mansion.

If you liked Monkey Island, particularly (I guess) Monkey Island 2, then go ahead and play this. Be sure to play it on "hard" mode. Also, I'd get Play Pass and play this. Since Pass is $2/month for the first year, or $5/month if you already burned the trial, it's a better deal than buying the game outright for $10. Unless you're really into having a large "library" of digital goods you don't really own but have access to until a distant licensing battle between giants in California causes the thing to vanish without announcement or explanation? Maybe, sure?

For everyone else...

If you're not a big adventure-game person, this won't make you love the genre. I am not a big adventure-game person. I was initially hooked because I liked the initial setup: You start out controlling two characters who are, graphically, knockoffs of Mulder and Scully. They run into each other under a bridge near the town of Thimbleweed Park, where they find a dead body. They tell each other they're FBI agents investigating the murder. You know from the beginning that neither of them, in fact, are FBI agents but have unrevealed ulterior motives for pretending to be FBI agents in Thimbleweed Park.

The devs get a lot of free player investment by making the characters look like Mulder and Scully. Neither really acts like Mulder or Scully, except that the Mulder-looking character is naive and nice and the Scully-looking character is cynical and sarcastic. But just making them look like FBI agents you know and like can make you feel a bit attached to them and interested in where the story goes. On reflection, I think it's a bit cheap, but it's effective.

From there, the game takes a bizarre, circuitous, and usually interesting path through the backstory of the town, its primary citizen, a sort of computer-industry baron, his brother-in-law and niece. You eventually play the brother-in-law and niece to fulfill their own story goals, as well as a completely random character who's an insult-comic clown stuck in Thimbleweed Park. He's the best character. The game's most successful characterization happens when it gets mean, and it's weakest when it becomes sentimental or indulgent.

Unfortunately, over the long haul, its primary mode is "indulgent." The niece character is a game programmer, and there's an overabundance of self-referential humor and plot devices regarding adventure games, adventure game programmers, the games made by these devs, and "I too grew up in the 1980s." And this is after I disabled an option called "include annoying in-jokes." The penultimate peak of indulgence is the final puzzle, which literally, explicitly, in roughly these words, says, "Go watch the Kickstarter video for this game to solve this puzzle." And you really do have to, because the puzzle is simply an application of a completely random object to another completely random object, which the Kickstarter video tells you to do. I don't consider this a spoiler because it comes out of nowhere and has no bearing or relevance to anything else. It's one-and-done. But that's only the "penultimate" peak of self-indulgence because the actual peak is the game's ending.

Have you ever played, read, or watched something that was pretty okay, and then the ending was so bad, it took such a rushed, lazy, fuck-you-for-caring shit on the player, reader, or watcher, that it made you feel like a sucker for having spent any time on what came before? You know, like any Stephen King book? If you're okay with that kind of thing, then I still recommend this game simply because the individual conversations are often funny, the writing's pretty good, the setting is pretty tight, and the puzzles are fair. If you're not okay with that, then pass. I'm not okay with that. I don't want to take the journey unless the destination can deliver. Given this game's extremely high ratings, I think I'm in a very small minority.

So I guess the upshot is: I liked it until I hated it, but basically everyone else thinks I'm wrong, so, hey, give it a spin if you already have Play Pass!

So I've been playing a couple of games I randomly found on the Play Store that have been pretty fun! I don't know how old or new they are, nor do I know if everyone already has heard of them.

One is called Caves and is a fun little roguelike. Got fantasy elements like swords and magic scrolls and potions and goblin's, but also sci-fi shit like cyborgs and guns and dynamite. Very cool, and it's free with just occasional ads that I believe you can pay to remove.

The other game is called Mindustry. It's like a factory building game mixed with a tower defense game. The resources you gather are used to build defenses and stuff, but whatever you don't use when you finally decide to leave the match (the choice to leave only comes at certain rounds) is taken to be used between matches to unlock new techs and stuff. Completely free with no ads or microtransactions or anything I can see.

JtgVX0H.png

One is called Caves and is a fun little roguelike. Got fantasy elements like swords and magic scrolls and potions and goblin's, but also sci-fi shit like cyborgs and guns and dynamite. Very cool, and it's free with just occasional ads that I believe you can pay to remove.

I had a lot of fun with Caves, but two caveats: even after you pay to remove ads, it pushes microtransactions, and, it has no ending. It just loops back to the first map.

I had a lot of fun with Caves, but two caveats: even after you pay to remove ads, it pushes microtransactions, and, it has no ending. It just loops back to the first map.

I won't ever make it to the end so that last line won't be an issue for me lol

JtgVX0H.png
  • DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    I had a lot of fun with Caves, but two caveats
    :mad:

• ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Netmarble so probably bad. But the characters look better than the SE Avengers game, so there's that.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • ZekZek Registered User regular
    Soda Dungeon 2 is out in early access on Android! July 9th everywhere else:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7DiSu4-kWaI