As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Ants! Ants! Ant-Man! (and the Wasp) July 6th...mostly.

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    y'know a weird detail I had trouble keeping track of was
    how many Ant Man suits are there? There has been 3 different designs for the movies, but the dialogue sorta suggested only two suits - the one Scott used in Germany, and the one Hank gives him in this movie. They needed the older one for it's unique regulator or whatever, but in the context of the dialogue the older one is the one shown in Civil War.

so was that Civil War suit the original one, upgraded? I had always assumed it was some new thing they'd built for Scott, incorporating more modern stuff like the touchscreen and all that.

I'm assuming
    The first suit was gutted when ever Pym upgraded it for Scott in Civil War.
    From the context, it sounds like Scott kept working with them between Ant Man and Civil War some, and they were probably tinkering with it during that, so Civil War was suit 1.3 or something, then this movie he uses a 2.0 suit. Pym doesn't have Stark's resources to just create an entirely new suit for each upgrade.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    Polaritie wrote: »
    y'know a weird detail I had trouble keeping track of was
    how many Ant Man suits are there? There has been 3 different designs for the movies, but the dialogue sorta suggested only two suits - the one Scott used in Germany, and the one Hank gives him in this movie. They needed the older one for it's unique regulator or whatever, but in the context of the dialogue the older one is the one shown in Civil War.

so was that Civil War suit the original one, upgraded? I had always assumed it was some new thing they'd built for Scott, incorporating more modern stuff like the touchscreen and all that.

I'm assuming
    The first suit was gutted when ever Pym upgraded it for Scott in Civil War.
    From the context, it sounds like Scott kept working with them between Ant Man and Civil War some, and they were probably tinkering with it during that, so Civil War was suit 1.3 or something, then this movie he uses a 2.0 suit. Pym doesn't have Stark's resources to just create an entirely new suit for each upgrade.
    There were a lot of scenes of Scott tinkering with the suit in Ant Man as well.
    That part where he started dicking with the regulator and Hank filled him in on what happens when you go quantum in particular.

• Options
    Virgil_Leads_YouVirgil_Leads_You Proud Father House GardenerRegistered User regular
    Got stung by a wasp this weekend.
    I was helping my brothers put up some roofing and fencing for my father when I got a scrape on my hands.
    I wound up cleaning up blood on the steps of my father's deck from where I had ran inside to get a bandaid for my finger.
    That was when the dang wasp stung me.
    Apparently they had made a nest in the fence/railing on the deck's steps.

VayBJ4e.png
  • Options
    miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
    so my friend went to see this at alamo drafthouse

x4bwzj8uy2pu.png

uc3ufTB.png
  • Options
    valhalla130valhalla130 13 Dark Shield Perceives the GodsRegistered User regular
    I liked this movie a lot, and I saw the stinger coming.

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    Stan Lee cameo
    I thought for sure it was gonna have to do with Hank as an FBI agent, because he looked a lot like him

• Options
    Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular

x4bwzj8uy2pu.png

I can confirm that that is indeed part of the Alamo preshow.

ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Stan Lee cameo
    I thought for sure it was gonna have to do with Hank as an FBI agent, because he looked a lot like him
    So did I! I totally thought someone was going to mistake him for someone else, he would have to quickly fumble his way through something before he could get away, and then on the way out he runs into Stan Lee in the same uniform who winds up being the guy he was mistaken for.

• Options
    rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    Can I see a hat wobble and a flarhgunnstow?

• Options
    PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    Really enjoyed this movie, even more than the original.

Also contains IW spoilers
    I quite liked how they did the villains in this, with Ghost and Foster being sympathetic and seemingly redeemable and Boyd Crow- sorry, Sonny being a sinister criminal who ends up as comic relief. The action, comedy and usage of Pym Particles was all top shelf, and as much as a bummer as the stinger was, it was obviously going to happen, and I'm still of the belief that of course it's going to be undone, with the time vortex and "healing particles" providing additional hope for A4. If those particles are just a straight up Phoenix Down then maybe they'll be used on Gamora?

Also, as far as Ghost is concerned, I could see her being a vigilante anti-hero taking down the corrupt, but without the collateral damage of her comics counterpart. SHIELD may not be the same anymore but her bitter time with them could fuel her desire to take down other unethical groups.

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular

x4bwzj8uy2pu.png

I can confirm that that is indeed part of the Alamo preshow.

When they showed Paul doing the Bar Mitzvah I hoped they’d show the above one and was not disappointed.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    NarbusNarbus Registered User regular
    edited July 2018
    I liked the movie quite a bit but for one thing
    If wee baby ghost couldn't hold a teddy bear, how was she sitting on the bed?! Or standing on the floor at all?! Floors aren't magic! She should be phasin through those just the same as any other surface!

That bugged me the entire movie.

Although it was really great that Janet managed to find a quantum day spa somewhere. Lady looked fresh for being in the incredibly deadly quantum realm for 30 years.

Also good find on that quantum Neiman Marcus with the sale on white scarves.

Okay two things.

Narbus on
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Narbus wrote: »
    I liked the movie quite a bit but for one thing
    If wee baby ghost couldn't hold a teddy bear, how was she sitting on the bed?! Or standing on the floor at all?! Floors aren't magic! She should be phasin through those just the same as any other surface!

That bugged me the entire movie.

Although it was really great that Janet managed to find a quantum day spa somewhere. Lady looked fresh for being in the incredibly deadly quantum realm for 30 years.

Also good find on that quantum Neiman Marcus with the sale on white scarves.

Okay two things.
    Eh. It’s lije that Next Gen episode where Geordi and that lady get out of phase.

Also there could be whole civilizations in the quantum realm. We don’t know. There was clearly something allowing them to breath.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    NarbusNarbus Registered User regular
    That episode of next gen was also bullshit, then!

Shoulda been Batman Beyond style nightmare existance.

Also I already acknowledged the quantum societies. They were the ones who opened quantum Neiman Marcus.

• Options
    PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    Major spoilers
    When Hank and Janet were leaving the Quantum Realm I wasn't sure if there was some kind of city in the distance or if my eyes were playing tricks on me.

• Options
    Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    Just saw this tonight.
    RE: Stinger
    latest?cb=20160318001649

• Options
    Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    Now for actual thoughts
    credits scene
    I saw it with a friend and his girlfriend. I really liked it a lot except the IW stinger, and while they thought it was fine I couldn't really explain too well why I didn't like it, they just thought I was mad about nothing.
    Rest of the movie was really fun though, I felt like the size-changing stuff was much better utilized in this than in the previous one, though they did tease a dump truck in that Hot Wheels case and we didn't get one, directly contradicting the rule of Chekov's Dump Truck. I hadn't really watched the trailers, so I didn't know Laurence Fishburne was in this so that was a nice surprise, but nowhere near the surprise of seeing Tim Heidecker holy shit, I almost cheered when I saw him lmao. Michael Pena continues to be a delight.

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Crippl3 wrote: »
    Now for actual thoughts
    credits scene
    I saw it with a friend and his girlfriend. I really liked it a lot except the IW stinger, and while they thought it was fine I couldn't really explain too well why I didn't like it, they just thought I was mad about nothing.
    Rest of the movie was really fun though, I felt like the size-changing stuff was much better utilized in this than in the previous one, though they did tease a dump truck in that Hot Wheels case and we didn't get one, directly contradicting the rule of Chekov's Dump Truck. I hadn't really watched the trailers, so I didn't know Laurence Fishburne was in this so that was a nice surprise, but nowhere near the surprise of seeing Tim Heidecker holy shit, I almost cheered when I saw him lmao. Michael Pena continues to be a delight.
    Tim Heidecker was in this?

• Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    Now for actual thoughts
    credits scene
    He was the ferry guide

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    SimBen wrote: »
    Also Agent Wu is basically phase 1 Coulson and I love him with all my heart.

Randall Park is fucking magic and I want to give him all of the money that I have.

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    The scene at the beginning where he's explaining to the kid is gold.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    I believe that whole intro thing was an Edgar Wright style foreshadowing of the rest of the movie.
    they at least had the part about ants showing them the way to go, and ending with a high speed crash.

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    Another thing I loved
    Was how the Step-Dad, rather than hating Scott, was a little TOO friendly with him? Especially since it's "legit cop dude" doing it.

• Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    edited July 2018
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    Now for actual thoughts
    credits scene
    He was the ferry guide

This drove me crazy trying to figure out who it was, thank you for pointing this out.

He had some, uh... noteworthy hair.

Edit: for me the final stinger was... well...
    It was bizarre and super uncomfortable. Giant ant playing the drums during the Earth’s worst disaster in history.

It seemed... macabre? The snap mid-credits thing was fine for me, although it was a very abrupt, extremely dark turn. But that stinger... I don’t really know what to make of it. I feel like I want to watch the film again just to unpack that scene.

Best Scene in the movie
    Paul Rudd as Michelle Pfiffer. Genuinely moving, and fucking HILARIOUS. Paul Rudd’s a good actor.

sarukun on
  • Options
    mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    sarukun wrote: »
    Now for actual thoughts
    credits scene
    He was the ferry guide

This drove me crazy trying to figure out who it was, thank you for pointing this out.

It was bizarre and super uncomfortable. Giant ant playing the drums during the Earth’s worst disaster in history.

It seemed... macabre? The snap mid-credits thing was fine for me, although it was a very abrupt, extremely dark turn. But that stinger... I don’t really know what to make of it. I feel like I want to watch the film again just to unpack that scene.

Best Scene in the movie
    Paul Rudd as Michelle Pfiffer. Genuinely moving, and fucking HILARIOUS. Paul Rudd’s a good actor.

The final credits
    That ant was still programmed to just go through Scott's day. Since no one is alive to stop him he's just continuing to do it all.

Which IS very dark, but I laughed.

PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • Options
    LegacyLegacy Stuck Somewhere In Cyberspace The Grid(Seattle)Registered User, ClubPA regular
    mxmarks wrote: »
    Now for actual thoughts
    credits scene
    He was the ferry guide

Best Scene in the movie

The final credits
    That ant was still programmed to just go through Scott's day. Since no one is alive to stop him he's just continuing to do it all.

Which IS very dark, but I laughed.
    Plus the way it continues with the emergency tone after the drum solo all the way through to the text added an extra 10 darkness to it. Very eerie.

Can we get the chemicals in. 'Cause anything's better than this.
  • Options
    HawkstoneHawkstone Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things. Somewhere outside of BarstowRegistered User regular
    Saw it, laughed a lot, dug it a great deal. that is all...

Inside of a dog...it's too dark to read.
  • Options
    JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    One bit I liked a lot
    Hank complaining about the terrible disguises felt like a dig at

MvnabfA.jpg

Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
  • Options
    Romanian My EscutcheonRomanian My Escutcheon Two of Forks Registered User regular
    Now for actual thoughts
    credits scene
    He was the ferry guide

Best Scene in the movie

This scene's still driving me nuts three days later.
    It might just be me, but that entire scene just oozed tonal whiplash.

Like... is it being played straight? Am I supposed to find Paul Rudd playing Michelle Pfeiffer funny, or is this scene supposed to be read as totally earnest?

Also; Paul Rudd calling Evangeline Lilly "Jellybean" legitimately skeeved me out.

[IMG][/img]
  • Options
    rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    The tonal whiplash is why the scene is so funny.

• Options
    Munkus BeaverMunkus Beaver You don't have to attend every argument you are invited to. Philosophy: Stoicism. Politics: Democratic SocialistRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    The thing I liked most about this movie

Was probably the bit where Ghost brings up using Scott’s family to lure him and Fishburne’s character puts his foot down and refuses to help and says he’ll be no part of the plan if she does that and it actually convinces her to not go through with it.

Like that is almost always the point where Ghost just ices the helpful scientist and says “I’ll do it myself” thank Christ they thought better.

Humor can be dissected as a frog can, but dies in the process.
  • Options
    I'm happy that Peyton Reed and company were able to release another Ant-Man film because there should be minimal misattribution to Edgar Wright this time around.

• Options
    Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    edited July 2018

Was probably the bit where Ghost brings up using Scott’s family to lure him and Fishburne’s character puts his foot down and refuses to help and says he’ll be no part of the plan if she does that and it actually convinces her to not go through with it.

Like that is almost always the point where Ghost just ices the helpful scientist and says “I’ll do it myself” thank Christ they thought better.
    I did really like the fact that there was no concrete villainous mastermind in this movie. The closest we had was Goggins and his crew, and they were really just antagonistic henchmen. The only real villain is whoever Goggins was contacting on his phone, and we never see them.

Johnny Chopsocky on
    ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • Options

I did really like the fact that there was no concrete villainous mastermind in this movie. The closest we had was Goggins and his crew, and they were really just antagonistic henchmen. The only real villain is whoever Goggins was contacting on his phone, and we never see them.
    I'm surprised it didn't turn out to be that Hydra dude from the first movie who made off with some of Cross's Pym Particles.

• Options
    JimothyJimothy Not in front of the fox he's with the owlRegistered User regular
    I’m expecting those two threads to intersect in the next one

• Options
    SabreMauSabreMau ネトゲしよう 판다리아Registered User regular
    Ringo wrote: »
    Mid credits scene:
    Exactly the turn off to seeing this that I was expecting.

No thanks, Marvel. I don't need to spend money on your product if you're gonna throw that dreck in too

A bit of a bummer to me, as Ant-Man is my personal "Easiest to watch over and over" Marvel movie, but I just don't want to pay money to be reminded of how much I dislike Infinity War

Hello yes I haven't actually seen the movie (all the way through) yet but posting just to agree with this and when I do get around to it I'm sprinting from the auditorium once the credits start.

• Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    Just saw this

Liked it, am definitely going to forget 2/3rds of the movie within about 3 days

One thing nagging at me, though:
    Hey why did they get Michelle Pfeiffer if they were going to give her only substantial scene to Paul Rudd?

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    edited July 2018
    Mr. G wrote: »
    Just saw this

Hey why did they get Michelle Pfeiffer if they were going to give her only substantial scene to Paul Rudd?
    I am fairly certain they re gonna explore the Microverse in the next one, what with Jan having a weird weapon and robes and whatnot
    And she'll be more prominent in that one

BlankZoe on
    CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    Which leads me to my next question: have any designers or anything that worked on this movie fessed up to how obviously heavily influenced by Destiny they were

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    Mr. G wrote: »
    Just saw this

I am fairly certain they re gonna explore the Microverse in the next one, what with Jan having a weird weapon and robes and whatnot
    And she'll be more prominent in that one
    people said that about this one

PNk1Ml4.png