As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Steam - The Gardens Between & CrossCode out Sept 20th!

• Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    I first played Skyrim, which got good reviews on the PS3, on the PS3, and pretty much any modern major publisher release looks good compared to that.

• Options
    TaminTamin Registered User regular
    Uriel wrote: »
    what if all fallout games aren't very good.

I mean, new vegas is the only one that really worked for me? I finished Fallout 1 a long time ago, made a bit of progress in 2, never touched Brotherhood of Steel or Tactics, haven't even considered 4 or '76.

oh I guess I messed with Fallout Shelter a little.

• Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    New Vegas was the best because :whistle: In this town there lived an outlaw by the name of Texas Red :whistle:

• Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    If Bethesda ain't jealous of New Vegas it's cause they don't know no better

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Hobnail wrote: »
    If Bethesda ain't jealous of New Vegas it's cause they don't know no better

Bethesda is super jealous. They would have let someone else have a crack at making another Fallout game to tide people over between 4 and 76, except they knew that they'd just get called out for being the worst at making Fallout games again.

• Options
    Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    edited July 2018
    oh they were going to get called out anyway because the witcher 3 came out and people realized open world rpgs don't have to be broken messes

Indie Winter on
    wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    a million people can call them out and it wouldn't matter, they'd still get a standing ovation for a picture of a mountain and the words ELDER SCROLLS SIX

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    If anybody hasn't picked up Moonlighter yet, Steam gave me a 20% off coupon for it, because I own This War of Mine. Which like, thanks Steam, but I bought it on release day?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    RankenphileRankenphile Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood.Registered User, Moderator mod
    If anybody hasn't picked up Moonlighter yet, Steam gave me a 20% off coupon for it, because I own This War of Mine. Which like, thanks Steam, but I bought it on release day?

If you still have it, I’ll take that discount. That game looks fantastic.

8406wWN.png
  • Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    moonlighter is real charming, but gets very repetitive and doesn't have much replay value

it's a well put together game though

• Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    oh they were going to get called out anyway because the witcher 3 came out and people realized open world rpgs don't have to be broken messes

witcher 3 had plenty of bugs

• Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8zzoeTZvPb4

This came up on the Waypoint podcast - Omino is a real-time strategy road building game for mobile devices where players place tetrominoes to pave their way across the map, claiming territory, building their economy, and disrupting their opponent’s plans.

• Options
    djmitchelladjmitchella Registered User regular
    Jacobkosh wrote: »
    I've mentioned that I've been doing a big tour through walking simulators of the last few years I'd been meaning to get around to playing. In the last couple weeks I've done Dear Esther, a replay of Firewatch, Gone Home, and today I just wrapped up The Vanishing of Ethan Carter.

If you haven't played Everyone's Gone To The Rapture, that's worth a look; here's something I wrote on the steam thread in G+T a while ago;
    This is very much a walking simulator, from the people who did Dear Esther, so if you played that, you'll have a reasonable sense of how much interaction there's going to be. It's not quite just walking -- sometimes you open doors, and sometimes you have to "tune into past events", in a mini-(micro-)game that was surprisingly difficult to figure out how to play, but easy once I'd found the mechanic required.
    The onscreen icons make it look as if you have to match the rhythm of something, but actually you just have to move your mouse from side to side until the swirling ball of light gets to its biggest size, at which point the next 'cutscene' happens

Another gameplay tip -- the most common complaint in reviews was that it takes a very long time to get anywhere. This is true, but there is a 'run' button. It just doesn't work the way you'd expect -- when you press 'run', you don't start running right away as you might expect. Instead, you start accelerating, and after a few seconds, you're up to the maximum speed. (which is still more of a brisk stroll than an actual run, but it still makes getting around significantly faster).
    They also don't mention that you should follow the swirling ball of light that floats around in the air (outside of the minigames); you don't need to do this, but if you get lost / disoriented, it'll point you on to the next bit.

But basically this is a game where you walk around an English village in the mid 1980s trying to work out what's happened. There are no people around, just memories of people that play out when you get to the right spots; the past events show up with the bodies of the people made up of sparkling lights while you hear them saying whatever-it-was that was going on at the time; it's surprisingly effective at letting you know who is who, and what was going on; the voice acting is excellent.

There's also little snippets of audio that play through phones or radios to give you more story; I was initially concerned that I might miss something, but I don't think I did, and even if I did, it doesn't feel like I was missing anything of the story.

As for the story -- I won't spoil it here, because the whole point of the game is to find out the mystery. I will say that it did not take me very long to stop caring about the mystery as a whole, and find myself completely invested in the characters themselves, and who they were, and how they'd go to where they were before the mystery started, and what had happened to them as a result of the mystery. I think the last time I've had this same sort of emotional "oh, you are a bad person" reaction to a game was back playing Suikoden; in that case it was more standard RPG villany, whereas here it was purely interpersonal relationships that are just not cool, that is not a good way to be behaving, [character].

More spoiler-y plot thoughts, though no actual story details:
    I liked it all the way up until the last act, but it felt like a bit of a let-down when we do find out the final details of what was going on -- they do a great job of slowly revealing more details as you get through, but from about halfway through it's pretty clear roughly what's happening, so the final end scenes where they clarify everything seemed a bit unnecessary -- as I said, by that point I was in it for the characters, not the story.

Also, the second-last act introduces a few new characters out of the blue, which is reasonable given that it's in a slightly different location than the game to that point, but I found it hard to care as much about them as the ones that I'd first "met".

Now, all that aside, the real reason I played the game is because I grew up there. Chances are high that if you read reviews from british reviewers, they'll say how familiar this sort of thing looks -- but I literally spent my childhood in a village that is _uncannily_ similar to Yaughton, so the continual familiarity of little details was a real treat; I can't think of another game that recreates this sort of bit of England as accurately.

One example -- early on, you're exploring a shed behind a house in the village, and you find this:

Qk1Lert.jpg

Here is the bike that I had when I was a kid:

dsc07237_lg.jpg

It generally looks like an English village, of course, with all the classic elements you'd expect to see:

rQCerVu.jpg
    sDYN9BV.jpg
    d5N5NRp.jpg

and it is generally very pretty:

1By0LbJ.jpg
    NgN79fS.jpg
    XPhaOzt.jpg

but it's the little details that really made it for me. Aside from having my childhood bike, the graffiti is English:

hzirGEv.jpg

The sinks are English (if anyone knows somewhere in Canada that sells this sort of sink with builtin metal draining board, please let me know, as I have spent a long time trying to find somewhere to get one):

TVaszCX.jpg

The plugs and kettles are English:

h3FGJ6i.jpg

(side note: I was super taken out of the moment when playing Whatever Happened to Edith Finch, because the soldering iron in the house there has a UK plug on it, and it stuck out like a sore thumb).

Even things like the fire hydrants are English, which is the sort of detail that makes a huge difference to the immersiveness of it because everything just feels "right"

E5nMejP.jpg

and they have the same sorts of limb-breaking witches-hat roundabout that was in the park at the end of the high street when I was a kid (long since replaced by less hazardous ones, but again, the attention to detail was fantastic)

djmHrr9.jpg

and even smaller details like the way park benches / bins are made, and the spots of rust down the side:

QkvCVh4.jpg

Now, if you didn't grow up in this sort of village, the nostalgia value will be lessened -- but I'd recommend it for story and general prettiness alone, and you can just take my word for it that it is a ludicrously accurate replica of what that sort of village would have been like. (possibly wait until it goes on sale again, the full-price price seems a bit high for how much game there is)

Total time to finish was about six hours, though it wasn't until halfway through that I worked out how to run, so that time would go down a bit if you knew that already; probably quicker still if you didn't explore it as much as I did. That said, I only got 2 of 18 achievements, because I didn't do various "wait at spot X for Y minutes" sorts of thing, but I don't feel like I missed anything.

• Options

Marvel Powers United VR is an upcoming co-op VR game created by Marvel Games, Sanzaru Games, and Oculus Studios. Featuring co-op missions, you use each superhero’s unique powers in online multiplayer, revisiting some of the familiar Marvel locations made famous in films past.

The game, which is already available for pre-order for $40, is set to launch on Oculus Rift July 26th.

https://www.roadtovr.com/marvel-powers-united-vr-launch-trailer/

• Options
    edited July 2018
    Catastronauts is like Overcooked meets FTL meets Lovers in Dangerous Spacetime
    Gather your friends and join the illustrious Space Fleet in this fast-paced party game!

Can you deal with unrelenting disaster and hold your ship together long enough to destroy the enemy invaders? Repair systems, extinguish fires, arm the torpedoes, avoid deadly solar flares, destroy your friends and clone them back again; it's all in the life of a Catastronaut!

Coming late 2018

http://catastronauts.co.uk/

Brolo on
  • Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    Spider-Man totally killed that guy.

• Options
    Aistan wrote: »
    Spider-Man totally killed that guy.

spider-man is a menace

• Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    Jacobkosh wrote: »
    I've mentioned that I've been doing a big tour through walking simulators of the last few years I'd been meaning to get around to playing. In the last couple weeks I've done Dear Esther, a replay of Firewatch, Gone Home, and today I just wrapped up The Vanishing of Ethan Carter.

Ethan Carter's got the most gameplay of any of these, and I really enjoy what it does: I love mysteries and puzzling out crime scenes and games do them so rarely. The whole occult detective aspect, where you have visions of where clues might be and have to use your sense of the geography to go find them, and then reconstruct the events of the murders, is a fun puzzle mechanic. The actual hunting for stuff is kind of a pain in the ass because I have a hard time picking out items (especially the invariably rusty, bloodspattered knives and wrenches and etc) from the environment, but that's more my issue than the game's. It's a neat system and I wish more had been done with it, because as it happens, you use it like...three times.

The game is visually beautiful, with moody burned-out houses and spooky woods and gorgeous mountain vistas. It's also eerie and creepy as balls despite your being (mmmmostly) alone in the world. That's something I have to give every single one of these games: aside from Firewatch, which I had been interested in before it even came out, I'd sort of assumed all of these, as indie games, would be kind of lo-fi, but it's just the opposite. Their environments are all beautiful and beautifully-realized. The props all feel like real, weighty objects with histories.

The issue in Ethan Carter is the writing. The incidentals that you find, the little shreds of old newspaper and childrens' scrawled stories and stuff that you come across are fine. But the dialogue is kind of stilted, and sometimes gropes for profundity and gets a fistful of word salad instead. "Which is the cause of betrayal, injustice or inequality?" a cackling witch asks. I...huh? It would never have occurred to me to try to find a single reason for "betrayal" at all, but you do you, game.

More seriously, in the end, it's another shaggy dog story: the story you think you're getting isn't the story you're being told, and unfortunately, unlike Firewatch, the "real" story doesn't have enough on its own to justify the conceit. I don't know what the preoccupation is with doing that in these games - a misguided attempt at subversion, or a lack of confidence in the story they're actually telling, or what.

But overall, thanks to the gameplay and puzzles, which I did legitimately enjoy, Ethan Carter still ended up being a worthwhile experience on balance. All of these did, for different reasons. In the end I was really pleasantly surprised by the quality of their graphics and presentation and the richness of their environments but my original assesment of Firewatch holds basically true: I'm happy I played them, but having more to do would not have killed any of these.

at any rate I am def ready to fire up some Shadowrun

@Jacobkosh I just played this from start to finish today based on your post. I liked it, but pretty much agree with your opinion.

Also (game spoiler):
    I didn't solve the first murder until after I found the final area. So, um, I was trying to do that final puzzle with the letters without really understanding what was going on. That was fun. I ended up backtracking, realizing I missed a pile of rocks at the first site.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    wait shadows of war is... like 100 goddamn gigs.

• Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    I'm wanting to do a LAN party soon. With a focus on party games. Normally we do CoD1 and AoE2 and play Worms up on the projector screen. I think Spy Party with the sniper on the screen would be a good addition.

Any other party style games? Some of the participants don't have Steam. So if it's a steam game it'd be best if it's one I can run off one/two pcs.

• Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    edited July 2018
    Gvzbgul wrote: »
    I'm wanting to do a LAN party soon. With a focus on party games. Normally we do CoD1 and AoE2 and play Worms up on the projector screen. I think Spy Party with the sniper on the screen would be a good addition.

Any other party style games? Some of the participants don't have Steam. So if it's a steam game it'd be best if it's one I can run off one/two pcs.

Start a bracket of Nidhogg 1 and 2

Also Samurai Gun

Those sound dope as hell on a projector.

Tallahasseeriel on
  • Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    Ooh. Yes. Nidhogg for sure.

• Options
    Been trying the Blackwell series, off and on, the past few weeks and I'm kinda not feeling it?

The first game seems pretty buggy
    - the help menu claims Rosa does not have her notebook, and I do
    - some combinations in the notebook give a variation on 'nope' and others just silently do nothing
    - some notes provoke a response in conversation, and others fail silently
    - on mouse-over, a tool-tip for one of the (combined) notes is cut off
    - crashes

Particularly the second and third points make it very hard to know whether I'm stuck due to missing something or stuck because of a bug.

I'm also little uncomfortable with Joey - at one point he says, "get your little butt back in there." And he will initiate conversations with Rosa in 'public' (aka an empty hallway), but if she talks to him, it results in a scolding.

So there's that.

• Options
    Dee KaeDee Kae Registered User regular

The Jack Box series is PERFECT for parties and can be played with cellphones even! You could always get Dokapon Kingdom too. But that's uh, that's some dangerous stuff.

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Post Scriptum update:

It is in open beta now so you can just play it whenever. People are getting better at organizing and using coms but it is still a little hit or miss. When you get into a full squad that is actually working together and communicating it is some amazing band of brothers craziness. It is still very rare for me to actually shoot an enemy. A lot of the time I am just shooting in their direction to suppress them while my side moves.

I just had a very harrowing moment where about twenty of us on the British Airborne side were holding a large barn. Our sappers had erected sand bags, wire, and MG nests throughout the barn and the twenty of us, all from different squads, were all working against a swarm of Germans, totally cut off. We couldn't use squad coms since we were all different so everyone was using local, which is basically just shouting. As a medic, I just ran back and forth healing people.

I did die and, while attempting to make it back, started to get shot at from a hedgerow. I juked my way to the other side and ran up on two Germans prone on the hedgerow at point blank. They both started to shoot at me with their Kar98s but I somehow just expertly drilled them both with my SMLE, one shot each, fired from the hip.

It is a very strange game. People have compared it to Squads but WW2 if that helps. It is not for everyone.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    in case you need any incentive to play Shadowrun: Hong Kong, it has an Irish Elf monster hunter

• Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular

Towerfall!

• Options
    LasbrookLasbrook It takes a lot to make a stew When it comes to me and youRegistered User regular

Puyo

Puyo

Tetris.

• Options
    BionicPenguinBionicPenguin Registered User regular
    Stick Fight is the perfect party game. It's local multiplayer (up to 4 players), rounds are super short, there's next to no down time, and it's just random enough that someone who's terrible at the game will still get a win once in awhile.

• Options
    RankenphileRankenphile Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood.Registered User, Moderator mod

Good projector games:

Mount your friends
    Duck game
    Genital Jousting
    Gang Beasts
    Jackbox
    Worms

Good lan games:
    Rocket League
    Wreckfest
    Human Fall Flat
    Don’t starve Together
    Monaco: What’s Yours is Mine
    Heroes of Hammerwatch
    Left 4 Dead 2

8406wWN.png
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    Boy the last hour of Shadowrun Returns is real sweaty garbage. Like, among the worst gaming experiences I can think of.

• Options
    now you know why I didn't bother checking out hong kong or dragonfall until literally everyone I respect said I should play them

• Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    Everyone I know told me just to skip Returns, probably so I would actually check out Dragonfall and Hong Kong.

• Options
    Oh shit another great projector game:

Keep Talking And Nobody Exolodes

8406wWN.png
  • Options
    Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    Wouldn't it be the opposite?

Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • Options
    Clustertruck is a pretty great game to pass the controller around, we used to do that where one person gets three tries and everyone else drinks while they wait and cheer

8406wWN.png
  • Options
    Crawl is excellent, if you can find 4 controllers

• Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    Beat Prey.
    Well, I certainly was not expecting that.

Fuckin' January had me pegged, though. I posted about that one line of hers saying "you'll be remembered after your sacrifice", and then kind of went out of my way to make sure that didn't happen... until she went off about how "lots of people will die for the privileged few" and welp, time to die a hero instead.

And then of course the true ending was neat as hell, with the Operators reeling off how I did and then it all coming down to whether or not I was going to take Alex's hand. I did, because I'm just a nice little typhon-human hybrid, I guess.

sig.gif
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    Shorty wrote: »
    now you know why I didn't bother checking out hong kong or dragonfall until literally everyone I respect said I should play them

I think it was good for me to play as an introduction to the setting and to try out some stuff. Most of it I enjoyed a lot, but once the scope got bigger it got less focused and the gameplay elements of the ending were extremely ill judged.

My main problem with it is that as a decker I had nothing to do most of the time. I specced into rigger toi which helped, but there were only something like three matrix hints in the game

• Options
    Sorce wrote: »
    Beat Prey.
    Well, I certainly was not expecting that.

Fuckin' January had me pegged, though. I posted about that one line of hers saying "you'll be remembered after your sacrifice", and then kind of went out of my way to make sure that didn't happen... until she went off about how "lots of people will die for the privileged few" and welp, time to die a hero instead.

And then of course the true ending was neat as hell, with the Operators reeling off how I did and then it all coming down to whether or not I was going to take Alex's hand. I did, because I'm just a nice little typhon-human hybrid, I guess.
    I was re-reading the RPS review and they did not like either the 'five second cutscene' or the after-credits bit, so I'm gratified that you seem to share my reaction to both.

Looking at your achievements, is there a particular reason you didn't get on the shuttle?

This discussion has been closed.