As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Steam - The Gardens Between & CrossCode out Sept 20th!

• Options
    mosssnackmosssnack Yeah right, man, Bishop should go! Good idea!Registered User regular
    This may warrant a thread in H/A, but I figured I'd ask you all first.

So, my 4 year old boy saw an eye doctor and he has a bit of a lazy eye. Long story short, doc recommends the kid wears an eye patch and encourages playing video games while he's wearing the patch.

Other than a couple cheapo games on the PBS mobile app, my son doesn't have any video game experience. He's watched me play some things here and there, so I know he'd be absolutely interested in playing anything.

What I'm asking for are recommendations on games that a four year old be able to deal with. Ideally I'd start him with something super simple and forgiving to give him a chance to get familiar with a proper controller and then move on to other things I guess. Stuff that would be visually busy, so to speak. I'd like to keep the violence to a minimum. Cartoonish fighting or whatever would be fine, just no blood and guts. I have every platform other than the Switch. Thanks guys.

XBL: mosssnack12
    bnet: moss*1454
  • Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    Mario. I don't know which one or anything just you know, Mario

Broke as fuck in the style of the times. Gratitude is all that can return on your generosity.

https://www.paypal.me/hobnailtaylor
  • Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    Dark Souls. If he can't beat it, get a new kid.

Cook Serve Delicious might be good for eye exercise, though I'm not sure if it's too hard for someone his age.

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    sonic all stars racing transformed

• Options
    PaladinPaladin Registered User regular
    Tablet apps that offer hand eye coordination exercises are great for training lazy eyes. A simple game that forces you to quickly look at different parts of a screen or track a moving object for a sustained period of time are great for training the eye.

Therefore, I recommend games where you aren't constrained to a fixed perspective view . Warioware type games and rhythm heaven come to mind.

Marty: The future, it's where you're going?
    Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
  • Options
    Kristmas KthulhuKristmas Kthulhu Currently Kultist Kthulhu Registered User regular
    mosssnack wrote: »

So, my 4 year old boy saw an eye doctor and he has a bit of a lazy eye. Long story short, doc recommends the kid wears an eye patch and encourages playing video games while he's wearing the patch.

Other than a couple cheapo games on the PBS mobile app, my son doesn't have any video game experience. He's watched me play some things here and there, so I know he'd be absolutely interested in playing anything.

What I'm asking for are recommendations on games that a four year old be able to deal with. Ideally I'd start him with something super simple and forgiving to give him a chance to get familiar with a proper controller and then move on to other things I guess. Stuff that would be visually busy, so to speak. I'd like to keep the violence to a minimum. Cartoonish fighting or whatever would be fine, just no blood and guts. I have every platform other than the Switch. Thanks guys.

https://youtu.be/kYw_tw__7ow

• Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    edited July 2018

I had similar when I was young, Tetris was my jam , visually stimulating, but needs no depth perception, so no headache from virtual depth either.

WiseManTobes on
    Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
  • Options
    mosssnackmosssnack Yeah right, man, Bishop should go! Good idea!Registered User regular
    Gonna be holding onto Dark Souls for a bit. That's gonna be like, his rite of passage into adulthood.

Mario stuff is obviously a pretty great idea, as well as tetris. I'm also gonna do a bit of research into tablet apps that help with this sort of thing. Appreciate all the input!

XBL: mosssnack12
    bnet: moss*1454
  • Options
    StiltsStilts Registered User regular

Flower for the PS4 would be great for that.

IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    LuvTheMonkeyLuvTheMonkey High Sierra Serenade Registered User regular
    So if I was going to mod the shit out of Fallout 4, such that I could ignore the main story and just run around building outposts and doing whatever....

What all should I install??

Molten variables hiss and roar. On my mind-forge, I hammer them into the greatsword Epistemology. Many are my foes this night.
    STEAM | GW2: Thalys
  • Options
    BionicPenguinBionicPenguin Registered User regular
    edited July 2018
    So if I was going to mod the shit out of Fallout 4, such that I could ignore the main story and just run around building outposts and doing whatever....

What all should I install??

Sim Settlements is one of the big ones, I think. It lets you put down a plot that a settler will build up for you. It's a great way to get a nice looking settlement without spending hours and hours building every house for every settler.

Place Everywhere basically does what the name says. You can place an object even if it's clipping through something else or just hanging in the air. It also gives you fine control over the movement and orientation of objects. It's worth noting that this one requires the Fallout 4 Script Extender, which (along with script extenders for other Bethesda games) has never given me any issues. However, I know some people prefer to avoid third party applications.

Finally, there's OCDecorator. It lets you lock physics objects in place, so when you fill a shelf/table/whatever with odds and ends, they won't go flying when someone enters the same hemisphere.

BionicPenguin on
  • Options
    Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular

Good job caving to the terrorists, anet.

Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • Options
    Tencent leaked the MH World system requirements:

Minimum:

Intel i5 4460 @ 3.2Ghz
    Nvidia GTX 760
    8GB RAM
    25GB HDD
    Windows 7,8,8.1,10

Recommended:

Intel i7-3770 @ 3.4Ghz
    Nvidia GTX 1060
    8GB RAM
    25GB HDD
    Windows 7,8,8.1,10

Smaller than I thought, storage-wise. I thought this would be a huge game.

• Options
    Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    Yeah, I was pleasantly surprised when I found it it took up less than 15gb on the PS4.

• Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    Small amount of RAM too

That's genuinely surprising

signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    I’ve been playing this beta of a game called Post Scriptum. It is a very detailed tactical WW2 FPS with accurate squad load outs and such. Just bumming around as a riflemen. The sound design is incredible. Hearing 88’s go overhead is actually a bit terrifying.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    I’ve been playing this beta of a game called Post Scriptum. It is a very detailed tactical WW2 FPS with accurate squad load outs and such. Just bumming around as a riflemen. The sound design is incredible. Hearing 88’s go overhead is actually a bit terrifying.

You have my interest sir.

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Inquisitor wrote: »

You have my interest sir.

You die very easily. Like one direct hit. Also there are not hit notification when you shoot soneone. They just crumple to the ground in an eerily realistic manner. There are medics who have the same gear as riflemen but also bandages and morphine. The morphine is used on a teammate when they are down to revive them, then the bandages are applied to heal. Each person has their own field dressings but it just stops bleeding, not heals to full.

There is a lot of voice com usage. People actually calling in using proper radio terminology and such.

I think the game comes out proper next week.

Oh it is all Operation Market Garden with British Paratroopers and Germans.

The only annoying thing is the stamina drains very fast. You can drink from your canteen to speed this up a little.

I spent a lot of time taking cover in a hedgerow with some blokes not seeing any Germans, then rushed a building to clear it and it was terrifying.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    So Warframe just finished their annual Tennocon convention, with their usual major announcements and such.
    They're basically adding in another open-world area with wildlife hunting/preservation, hoverboard traversal (with tricks), customizable buildable guns and robot pets, MGS V style base capturing, massive open-world bosses, and then also on top of that Star Citizen ship combat with multi-person crews, fully controllable piloting and weapons and power management/hacking, and boarding enemy ships mid-combat.
    This game is fucking crazy.

• Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    Crippl3 wrote: »
    So Warframe just finished their annual Tennocon convention, with their usual major announcements and such.
    They're basically adding in another open-world area with wildlife hunting/preservation, hoverboard traversal (with tricks), customizable buildable guns and robot pets, MGS V style base capturing, massive open-world bosses, and then also on top of that Star Citizen ship combat with multi-person crews, fully controllable piloting and weapons and power management/hacking, and boarding enemy ships mid-combat.

What... that's like ten more games on top of that game

• Options
    edited July 2018
    Update: Servers seem to crash a lot but I just made it through a whole game, which can last a while. Things I've learned.

It is way better to be on a squad with people who use voice com. As a squaddie you can either talk to your whole squad, or talk local but local has a range that is pretty short. Squad Leaders can talk to other squad leaders and also the platoon commander who, if they are doing their job, basically looks at the map the whole time and marks things like enemy locations and calls in air and artillery strikes as relayed up the chain by squad leaders.

Medic is super important. You can only have two in a squad but being able to revive and heal people is vital to pushing forward as the respawn locations, which can be moved and built, can be far away. In the game I just finished the two people on our team that had the most heals were me and another squad mate. No one else seemed to know how it worked. People just shouting for medics over local voice coms were pretty good. Especially the guys who seemed to be rp'ing their need to morphine.

Also in clearing a building, a fellow mate was moving up some stairs and a German burst around the corner up top and I screamed while unloading my revolver into him at point blank. It was scary.

These games are 40 on 40 and seems like it will only get even better as more people learn how to play.

Librarian's ghost on

• Options
    I love Warframe's scale creep.

• Options
    I wish I liked the look of stuff in Warframe.

• Options
    I am at the point in warframe where I can't progress solo at all really. and I'm too timid to really ask for help moving forward.

• Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    Crippl3 wrote: »

I did not see that last one coming.

• Options
    I wish I liked the look of stuff in Warframe.

I love the look of stuff in warframe.

give me all the weird gross biomechanical ninjas

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    i just prefer to solo in a way warframe often doesn't want to let you

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular

it's theoretically possible to solo your way through the starmap, but it requires a lot of knowledge on what's good and a whole lot of grinding

• Options
    Here's the demo of the new stuff, starts at 44 minutes.
    At the very least watch the first 2 minutes for an incredibly good chain-gang work song (which is not a sentence I ever expected to say in relation to Warframe)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cutWz4Jnh_U&feature=youtu.be&t=44m3s

• Options
    oh dangit I forgot to buy the digital pass

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    PiptheFair wrote: »

it's theoretically possible to solo your way through the starmap, but it requires a lot of knowledge on what's good and a whole lot of grinding

yeah every time i try to start again within an hour i pick a mission that's actually a capture point mission where i can never solo it and i'm just like welp quit

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    Also the new area has you working to help a race of debt-enslaved forcibly augmented workers fight against their masters the Corpus, a race of evil mega-capitalists who literally worship Profit, it owns

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    yeah the interception missions and defend-a-thing missions are real hard to solo, it reduces the number of enemy spawns when you're doing them alone but it's not really enough

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    PiptheFair wrote: »

yeah every time i try to start again within an hour i pick a mission that's actually a capture point mission where i can never solo it and i'm just like welp quit

yeah, it's unfortunate because the game is quite fun, but solo play makes several mission types or endgame stuff completely unapproachable to anybody who doesn't have thousands of hours and the gear to equal it

• Options
    ZandraconZandracon Registered User regular
    that fortuna intro is p good
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rynMXZHV2Mo

• Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    I fucking love Warframe so much.

I knew Steve was messing around with the crewed ship stuff but I didn't honestly think it would make it into the game. Holy shit does it look and sound awesome though. The sound of the ship accelerating makes me think of Elite Dangerous.

Also, the music for it all is amazing.

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    @mossnack I don't know if it's still popular with the kids, but minecraft is always a solid choice if your kid likes building stuff

there's even a creative mode where he's invincible, can fly, and has all the blocks he could possibly desire

kids are all over the place development-wise at 4 years old, but I'm sure there's something out there that will work

Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    There is a full blown logistics role in Post Scriptum.

Be still my heart.

• Options
    TaminTamin Registered User regular
    I am annoyed at the enemies in Prey.
    Telepaths are inconsistent in how they chase the player. I have a couple in the Lobby that will follow me up and down the stairs and into the executive offices; but trying to get them into the same room as a broken junction box or open flame is tedious at best.

This discussion has been closed.