As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Anthem] Early Access is live. Please mark spoilers. God speed, Freelancers.

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    One would hope.

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    I was going to go like storm for my first post ranger suit, but the colossus calls to me it says "COME COME SHIELD BASH THINGS!"

I do like how it seems all suits have multiple rolls they can do. So if you run a 4 colossus crew its not 4 tanks.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    Combo explosions made powers very good in ME3, and with the right stuff you could get sub 2 second cooldowns. Maybe lower, can't recall. I warp/throwed my way through that game and fired less and less guns as time went on. Stasis was also very strong.

Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • Options
    They have talked about having combo stuff in this, so I imagine you'll probably have primers and detonators like Andromeda (which was awesome let you bring tech people even if you were a biotic).

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    dporowskidporowski Registered User regular
    edited November 2018
    Preacher wrote: »
    I was going to go like storm for my first post ranger suit, but the colossus calls to me it says "COME COME SHIELD BASH THINGS!"

I do like how it seems all suits have multiple rolls they can do. So if you run a 4 colossus crew its not 4 tanks.

Yeah I'm not going to be using a Colossus for "holding aggro". I'm going to be using it for "Okay so what is the biggest possible gun I can strap to every hardpoint? Okay all of those please. And some bombs."

(Ref: The ME3 N7 Destroyer, or Geth Juggernaut.)

dporowski on
  • Options
    dporowski wrote: »

Yeah I'm not going to be using a Colossus for "holding aggro". I'm going to be using it for "Okay so what is the biggest possible gun I can strap to every hardpoint? Okay all of those please. And some bombs."

And I'd love to tank with it. And both of us are right!

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options

Everybody wins! Except the bad guys who just blew up.

Also technically one CAN tank via "overwhelming firepower"... But hello yes explosions.

• Options

Also technically one CAN tank via "overwhelming firepower"... But hello yes explosions.

You don't have to soak damage if everyone is dead!

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular

This was the biggest letdown about getting a full set of classified Defense in the Division

"OK guys I brought my shield out and I can tank the oh, I see, they're already dead and you've killed half of the next room as well. Ok then"

• Options

This was the biggest letdown about getting a full set of classified Defense in the Division

"OK guys I brought my shield out and I can tank the oh, I see, they're already dead and you've killed half of the next room as well. Ok then"

Having played defense in Division makes me want to lean Colossus in this. Just pulling up a shield and opening up with a machine gun.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    FairchildFairchild Rabbit used short words that were easy to understand, like "Hello Pooh, how about Lunch ?" Registered User regular
    Plus, Adept broke the game.

Everything broke the game once you added Double Heat-Sinks and Explosive or Poison ammo.

• Options
    edited November 2018

Not gonna lie, this is my mental soundtrack if it's gonna play like that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4VgLkk_drx4

You'll know which part.

Edit: Mmm. He had me at "mortar" and "elemental combos".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kqvRjfOxyeA

dporowski on
  • Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular

Having played defense in Division makes me want to lean Colossus in this. Just pulling up a shield and opening up with a machine gun.

Same

I'm tanky and I can blow things up? Yes plz

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Fairchild wrote: »

Everything broke the game once you added Double Heat-Sinks and Explosive or Poison ammo.

Adept REALLY broke the game. It was, I believe, singularity that at a certain point you could just cast at the enemy and then they would just all float helplessly in the air doing nothing while you shot them over and over again till they died. Literally like shooting fish in a barrel. And on insanity, those fish were made of fucking adamantium.

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Has there been more released about the interceptor suit?

• Options
    https://youtu.be/uT0sqBjtjPQ

Arrekz had some info from like paris con or something?

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    All those videos seem to just be clips from the videos EA posted alongside information EA wrote down below those videos, but repackaged into an 8 minute video rather then a 1 minute video and a webpage.

Nothing new there that I saw.

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    edited November 2018
    shryke wrote: »

Adept REALLY broke the game. It was, I believe, singularity that at a certain point you could just cast at the enemy and then they would just all float helplessly in the air doing nothing while you shot them over and over again till they died. Literally like shooting fish in a barrel. And on insanity, those fish were made of fucking adamantium.

Yes, I'm aware the cooldowns were definitely too short. But it did sell the whole biotic god thing well.

I may have been conflating ME2 and ME3 a bit. But it really did feel like it was just pressing the same power on cooldown, because if using one puts the others on cooldown why bother with anything more than one? (also how leveling them worked in ME2 in particular, and yeah ammo powers but meh). Having the power combos doesn't really change anything, it just becomes pressing the power combo on cooldown.

Polaritie on
    Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    Ivan HungerIvan Hunger Registered User regular
    I was hoping this game would have all my favorite Mass Effect powers in it, but instead it seems to have none of them.

No dominate? No drone? Not even a turret?

I think I'm just going to have to wait until they add more content.

• Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    For me, it'll be All Colossus, All The Time.

sig.gif
  • Options
    I was hoping this game would have all my favorite Mass Effect powers in it, but instead it seems to have none of them.

No dominate? No drone? Not even a turret?

I think I'm just going to have to wait until they add more content.

To be very clear, these are apparently the early powers, as far as I understand, not all of them

• Options
    BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular
    edited November 2018
    This one's the most concise video I've seen so far of the gameplay
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nhdS2jcmOBQ

BRIAN BLESSED on
  • Options
    Polaritie wrote: »
    shryke wrote: »

Yes, I'm aware the cooldowns were definitely too short. But it did sell the whole biotic god thing well.

I may have been conflating ME2 and ME3 a bit. But it really did feel like it was just pressing the same power on cooldown, because if using one puts the others on cooldown why bother with anything more than one? (also how leveling them worked in ME2 in particular, and yeah ammo powers but meh). Having the power combos doesn't really change anything, it just becomes pressing the power combo on cooldown.

Nah, it didn't sell it well at all because it didn't feel like you had to do anything. Landing a crazy string of combos in ME2 and ME3 made you feel awesome though. Lift them and pop them, felt nice. And this game seems to be leaning into that kind of system, which should hopefully be good.

And if you were only ever pressing the one power in ME2 or 3 you were missing the point of the entire combo system.

• Options
    GMaster7GMaster7 Goggles Paesano Registered User regular
    edited November 2018
    I grew up playing Mage-type classes in RPGs, but somewhere in the last decade or so, as my genre preferences have shifted from fantasy to sci-fi, I've become more of a Tank-first kinda guy. Sword-and-board beefiness in Dark Souls, Titan in Destiny, shield-and-team-buffs in the Division, countless examples in other MMOs and games, etc.

Anthem is giving me "go back to your roots" vibes and is making me want to play Storm. I'm excited to try all of these suits out, but I think Colossus is the one that appeals to me the least. Even though I'm sure I'll love it once I get in there.

GMaster7 on
    PSN: SKI2000G | Steam: GMaster7 | Battle.net: GMaster7#1842 | Twitch: twitch.tv/SKI2000G
  • Options
    GMaster7 wrote: »
    I grew up playing Mage-type classes in RPGs, but somewhere in the last decade or so, as my genre preferences have shifted from fantasy to sci-fi, I've become more of a Tank-first kinda guy. Sword-and-board beefiness in Dark Souls, Titan in Destiny, shield-and-team-buffs in the Division, countless examples in other MMOs and games, etc.

Anthem is giving me "go back to your roots" vibes and is making me want to play Storm. I'm excited to try all of these suits out, but I think Colossus is the one that appeals to me the least. Even though I'm sure I'll love it once I get in there.

Storm looks awesome, the whole floating and dodging while dropping lightning bombs on enemies should be super fun. I mean honestly I'll probably give every suit a go, it'll just be super hard to not pull the Colossus trigger on the first one.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    HexDexHexDex Registered User regular
    If you are reading this add me.
    D3: HexDex#1281, PSN: DireOtter, Live: DireOtter

• Options
    hlprmnkyhlprmnky Registered User regular

I am your dark reflection - I've always been the floaty spell caster in ARPGs and FPS games and I think the Storm and the ...The Knifey One look cool, but what really perks up my ears about Anthem is standing on the back line and sending mighty clouds of Robotech-spam missile death downrange, then spinning up a long-barrel kinetic weapon with enough barrels that it needs spun up. Brrrrrrrrrrt!

_
    Your Ad Here! Reasonable Rates!
  • Options
    GMaster7GMaster7 Goggles Paesano Registered User regular
    hlprmnky wrote: »

I am your dark reflection - I've always been the floaty spell caster in ARPGs and FPS games and I think the Storm and the ...The Knifey One look cool, but what really perks up my ears about Anthem is standing on the back line and sending mighty clouds of Robotech-spam missile death downrange, then spinning up a long-barrel kinetic weapon with enough barrels that it needs spun up. Brrrrrrrrrrt!

Looking forward to partying up and Trading Places, brother.

PSN: SKI2000G | Steam: GMaster7 | Battle.net: GMaster7#1842 | Twitch: twitch.tv/SKI2000G
  • Options
    Getting excited for this!

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    HexDex wrote: »

My only hope is that it isn't locked behind some stupid 'only if you buy it at Walmart or Best Buy' bullshit.

At best, throw it in for people who have a valid key for Mass Effect (hell, make it one skin per game; 4 Javalins, 4 Mass Effects), or just include it for all.

Worst case, some micro transaction aesthetic bullshit. I'd grumble, but as long as we're only talking a few bucks apiece, yeah, fine, I could probably go in on that.

I am a little annoyed that this is the second one that they've teased, but haven't actually said how we're going to get them.

Don't be coy, just say what hoops will need jumping through, if any.

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    Forar wrote: »
    HexDex wrote: »

My only hope is that it isn't locked behind some stupid 'only if you buy it at Walmart or Best Buy' bullshit.

At best, throw it in for people who have a valid key for Mass Effect (hell, make it one skin per game; 4 Javalins, 4 Mass Effects), or just include it for all.

Worst case, some micro transaction aesthetic bullshit. I'd grumble, but as long as we're only talking a few bucks apiece, yeah, fine, I could probably go in on that.

I am a little annoyed that this is the second one that they've teased, but haven't actually said how we're going to get them.

Don't be coy, just say what hoops will need jumping through, if any.

I figure it'll probably be a micro, but maybe they are still in discussion about it. Maybe free to people who own Andromeda?

Honestly EA should give people who have ea access/origin access free skins. And a pony.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Not to be an ongoing downer, but as someone who owns ME3 and Andromeda on Origin, but bought the Legion of Dawn edition on PS4, I do hope that whatever it is, it's tied to some general account thing.

I'd mention having ME1 and 2 on Steam, but apparently you can just input the CD key from Steam into Origin and it'll be recognized there, and the ME2 DLC at least is tied to your Bioware login or something.

Ugh, I'm not sure what the best answer is, but having like 4 accounts for 5 games is kind of obnoxious. Maybe just keep with the Bioware login itself?

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    Trajan45Trajan45 Registered User regular
    Watching those video's, doesn't matter which Javelin I use, I just want to fly around. It'll be interesting to see if they throw any RTX stuff in post release.

Origin ID\ Steam ID: Warder45
  • Options
    Not to be an ongoing downer, but as someone who owns ME3 and Andromeda on Origin, but bought the Legion of Dawn edition on PS4, I do hope that whatever it is, it's tied to some general account thing.

I'd mention having ME1 and 2 on Steam, but apparently you can just input the CD key from Steam into Origin and it'll be recognized there, and the ME2 DLC at least is tied to your Bioware login or something.

Ugh, I'm not sure what the best answer is, but having like 4 accounts for 5 games is kind of obnoxious. Maybe just keep with the Bioware login itself?

I know on xbox I can link my EA account to my xbone account somehow. I know this because I can play ME 3 multi on my pc, but get the war % upgrades on my xbox.

But yeah too many damn systems.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    Trajan45 wrote: »
    Watching those video's, doesn't matter which Javelin I use, I just want to fly around. It'll be interesting to see if they throw any RTX stuff in post release.

Not impossible if Nvidia throws money at them, but I'd give it 10% chance tops. RTX stuff is going to be a now show for years yet if it happens.

• Options
    ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular

I know on xbox I can link my EA account to my xbone account somehow. I know this because I can play ME 3 multi on my pc, but get the war % upgrades on my xbox.

But yeah too many damn systems.

Just don't even think about trying to merge all the accounts if your PSN account uses a different email from your Origin account. Apparently, in order to merge them, they'd have to wipe both accounts and remake it...so any unlocks and achievements in any game on the account will get reset.

I've explored this path and determined it just wasn't worth it.

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Options
    hlprmnky wrote: »

Welcome to the church of dakka.

• Options
    darkmayodarkmayo Registered User regular
    So has there been further information on monetization for Anthem, haven't seen much about it since EA was fucking up with Battlefront 2 and other games and just a mess of speculation around that time.

Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
  • Options
    darkmayo wrote: »
    So has there been further information on monetization for Anthem, haven't seen much about it since EA was fucking up with Battlefront 2 and other games and just a mess of speculation around that time.

The only monetization they've said is for cosmetic, no grab bag what you see is what you get. No prices yet.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular
    Ala Carte buying with real currency is the surest way into my wallet. RNG loot boxes or Store Currency is the surest way to keep it shut.

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
This discussion has been closed.