Club PA 2.0 has arrived! If you'd like to access some extra PA content and help support the forums, check it out at patreon.com/ClubPA
The image size limit has been raised to 1mb! Anything larger than that should be linked to. This is a HARD limit, please do not abuse it.
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

[Anthem] No, it's not health insurance. It's combat suits fighting aliens, baby !

123578

Posts

  • Wraith260Wraith260 Happiest Goomba! Registered User regular
    think they're ruled out loot boxes but virtual currency is probably the most likely way that in game purchases will happen. people likely already have their payment details saved to those store fronts and asking them to add those details to yet another store can be a big ask. plus it increases the dev/pubs liability in the case that they're hacked and player details are stolen. its just easier to offer currency packs on the existing stores and let people decide how they want to go from there. the extra step is an added layer of clunkiness sure, but it does seem to be the standard at this point.

    hlprmnkyAndy Joe
  • shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Wraith260 wrote: »
    think they're ruled out loot boxes but virtual currency is probably the most likely way that in game purchases will happen. people likely already have their payment details saved to those store fronts and asking them to add those details to yet another store can be a big ask. plus it increases the dev/pubs liability in the case that they're hacked and player details are stolen. its just easier to offer currency packs on the existing stores and let people decide how they want to go from there. the extra step is an added layer of clunkiness sure, but it does seem to be the standard at this point.

    It's also easier and cheaper because it minimizes the number of actual real money transactions the company needs to have processed by their financial institution. Plus less chance of dealing with fraud and charge back and all that kind of stuff. There's a reason basically everybody sets up their in-game shops with it's own currency.

    Wraith260PreacherhlprmnkyFencingsaxAndy JoeFrem
  • -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited November 11
    I've got nothing against MTX if I get what I pay for (depending on price, that is), even just cosmetic. I blew a lot of money on cosmetics in Guild Wars 2. I checked out of that game as soon as they did their mount skin loot box. I've got no interest in paying for virtual gambling.

    -Loki- on
    Preacher
  • PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    -Loki- wrote: »
    I've got nothing against MTX if I get what I pay for (depending on price, that is), even just cosmetic. I blew a lot of money on cosmetics in Guild Wars 2. I checked out of that game as soon as they did their mount skin loot box. I've got no interest in paying for virtual gambling.

    Yeah my hope for Anthem is that they have paid for cosmetics but you can get cosmetics in game too just by playing which I imagine they'll have? But I dunno.

    Like The Division had a shit ton of cosmetics you get by playing, and then even more you can buy with money, but I never felt I had to? I dunno we'll find out more when people start seeing alpha beta builds who aren't games media, so probably december january?

    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

    Http:// pleasepaypreacher.net
  • shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    I don't have much faith in any company being able to hold the line against implementing lootboxes. They are just too profitable compared to a cash shop. Unless your game is doing such gangbusters sales that the shareholders are happy, the pressure is on to exploit them users.

    SirialisOrca
  • HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »
    -Loki- wrote: »
    I've got nothing against MTX if I get what I pay for (depending on price, that is), even just cosmetic. I blew a lot of money on cosmetics in Guild Wars 2. I checked out of that game as soon as they did their mount skin loot box. I've got no interest in paying for virtual gambling.

    Yeah my hope for Anthem is that they have paid for cosmetics but you can get cosmetics in game too just by playing which I imagine they'll have? But I dunno.

    Like The Division had a shit ton of cosmetics you get by playing, and then even more you can buy with money, but I never felt I had to? I dunno we'll find out more when people start seeing alpha beta builds who aren't games media, so probably december january?

    The Division has cosmetic loot boxes but you earn enough key fragments playing the game and get enough cosmetics just from drops and off merchants that I don't know a single person that has actually spent any money at all on them.

  • PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »
    -Loki- wrote: »
    I've got nothing against MTX if I get what I pay for (depending on price, that is), even just cosmetic. I blew a lot of money on cosmetics in Guild Wars 2. I checked out of that game as soon as they did their mount skin loot box. I've got no interest in paying for virtual gambling.

    Yeah my hope for Anthem is that they have paid for cosmetics but you can get cosmetics in game too just by playing which I imagine they'll have? But I dunno.

    Like The Division had a shit ton of cosmetics you get by playing, and then even more you can buy with money, but I never felt I had to? I dunno we'll find out more when people start seeing alpha beta builds who aren't games media, so probably december january?

    The Division has cosmetic loot boxes but you earn enough key fragments playing the game and get enough cosmetics just from drops and off merchants that I don't know a single person that has actually spent any money at all on them.

    Yeah I wouldn't mind if Anthem had a similar style of cosmetics.

    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

    Http:// pleasepaypreacher.net
    HappylilElf
  • -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    The new Assassins Creed games are the same. There's a lot of cosmetics in the game, and then a lot of themed cosmetics in the store, some of which are immersion breaking stuff like 'Now you're Hades on a burning horse' which is fun if you want to do that. But the stuff in the base game is pleeenty.
    shryke wrote: »
    I don't have much faith in any company being able to hold the line against implementing lootboxes. They are just too profitable compared to a cash shop. Unless your game is doing such gangbusters sales that the shareholders are happy, the pressure is on to exploit them users.

    EA already tried with Battlefront 2 and took them out due to both massive consumer backlash and governments looking into the practice since it's gambling which is now rattling the rest of the industry. Basically EA delved too greedily and too deep.

    Sure they might try again in the future, but it'll take a few years for it all to die down again.

    Preacher
  • shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    -Loki- wrote: »
    shryke wrote: »
    I don't have much faith in any company being able to hold the line against implementing lootboxes. They are just too profitable compared to a cash shop. Unless your game is doing such gangbusters sales that the shareholders are happy, the pressure is on to exploit them users.

    EA already tried with Battlefront 2 and took them out due to both massive consumer backlash and governments looking into the practice since it's gambling which is now rattling the rest of the industry. Basically EA delved too greedily and too deep.

    Sure they might try again in the future, but it'll take a few years for it all to die down again.

    They'll try again next chance they get. No reason not to. They've found the line, just back it up a bit and keep doing what works.

    SirialisOrca
  • PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Yeah EA already knows they have to walk on egg shells because of the outrage over battlefront 2. And they want Anthem to succeed. Its why they came out already that micros are in the game but just for cosmetics.

    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

    Http:// pleasepaypreacher.net
  • shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    EA learned nothing. They are actively fighting Belgian law to retain FIFA lootboxes with no changes.

  • ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Warframe's monetization works for me; most of it is cosmetic, you can buy things to speed up a farm (but like 99% of weapons and frames can be farmed in game), or speed up some of the kind of eyeroll worthy baking times to craft certain things (12-84 hours), but all told it's unintrusive enough that I don't mind it. Hell, they also throw out 20-75% off coupons on login every so often, and y'know, I won't drop $20 on funbux, but I'll drop $5 for $20 worth now and then.

    Of course, I also expect different things between the teams (small vs massive and Triple A funded, Freemium vs full price up front), but I don't mind coughing up a few bucks now and then. I just want it to be an informed choice. Maybe I don't get that badass cloak because I can't justify paying $Texas for it, maybe it's nice enough I splurge, but as long as it isn't substantially affecting gameplay, I usually don't care.

    Even to circle back to Warframe, aside from a PVP mode I don't remotely give a shit about, or the occasional clan race/competition, it being cooperative for the vast majority of the time helps set aside any real concerns. I believe PVP might come to Anthem (but isn't going to be in at release, if I'm not mistaken), so if they similarly lean into it being mostly a cooperative experience, plus mostly (or all) aesthetic features, that could avoid a lot of the ire and gnashing of teeth that Battlefront 2 brought to the game and industry.

    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    the random discount coupons login bonuses are insidious, getting a 75% one causes you to spontaneously seriously consider buying some currency when you had no interest in spending anything a moment before.

    BahamutZERO.gif
    Orcadispatch.odarkmayo
  • ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    the random discount coupons login bonuses are insidious, getting a 75% one causes you to spontaneously seriously consider buying some currency when you had no interest in spending anything a moment before.

    Oh, there's certainly an element of manipulation present, but Warframe ones last for 48 hours, which takes a lot of the edge off that aspect.

    Sometimes I jump on it immediately, sometimes I wait a day or so and choose to buy in, sometimes I choose not to or forget and just shrug it off.

    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    au contraire the fact that they only last for 48 hours is why they work so well at manipulating you

    BahamutZERO.gif
    PreachershrykeshoeboxjeddyGenji-GlovesOrcadispatch.o
  • PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    I would not want a 60 dollar game to take warframe monetization model at all. Like it works for warframe because its free to play, but I'd be shocked if the average warframe player hasn't put at least sixty dollars if not more into warframe.

    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

    Http:// pleasepaypreacher.net
    RickRudeTurambarDarkewolfeDisrupterBRIAN BLESSEDBahamutZEROIvan Hunger
  • RickRudeRickRude Registered User regular
    I'm sick of being nickled and dimed when I pay $60 for a game. Want to sell shit in a virtual store? Make it f2p. If not I paid $60, give me the whole fucking game.

    MaijinamuroSirialisRchanenBanzai5150yossarian_livesshoeboxjeddySyphonBlueGenji-Glovesdispatch.oCorsiniGMaster7
  • ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »
    I would not want a 60 dollar game to take warframe monetization model at all. Like it works for warframe because its free to play, but I'd be shocked if the average warframe player hasn't put at least sixty dollars if not more into warframe.

    Well, they’ve been talking about a monetization aspect for ages, but the Battlefront 2 clusterfuck seemed to cement it as Cosmetic Only.

    Sorry to say, but we already know you won’t be getting a monetization free experience.

    Now, whether or not you care if other people buy fancy hats with real dollars is the question. The hats (or skins or whatever) will be there, like them or not.

    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Forar wrote: »
    Preacher wrote: »
    I would not want a 60 dollar game to take warframe monetization model at all. Like it works for warframe because its free to play, but I'd be shocked if the average warframe player hasn't put at least sixty dollars if not more into warframe.

    Well, they’ve been talking about a monetization aspect for ages, but the Battlefront 2 clusterfuck seemed to cement it as Cosmetic Only.

    Sorry to say, but we already know you won’t be getting a monetization free experience.

    Now, whether or not you care if other people buy fancy hats with real dollars is the question. The hats (or skins or whatever) will be there, like them or not.

    Yeah I'm well aware of how Anthem wants to do it, and that's fine to me. Warframe is way more than just fancy hats though, you can flat out buy weapons and frames, materials literally anything that can drop, and that's just a bridge to far for me as far as monetization goes.

    Like The division had monetization for emotes and cosmetics, but they also just regular cosmetics earnable in game and I never ever felt the need to spend money on their shop. If that's how anthem goes I'm fine, and from what they've said that's their route only cosmetic no in game advantage.

    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

    Http:// pleasepaypreacher.net
    Darkewolfe
  • RickRudeRickRude Registered User regular
    I hope this is good. I really loved Destiny and still love things about it. It does feel good to play and it does a lot of things right. But i just got burned out with it at some point, and the formula never really changed. At times I dove in hard, and then I just wouldn't think about it. I really, really hope this game scratches that itch and is good. The division, which was the first Destiny challenger, had a lot of good ideas, but it just never felt fun to play IMO.

  • SorceSorce Registered User regular
    I would imagine Anthem Mass Effect armor will be a free DLC thing, considering cross-franchise stuff like that usually is.

    Well, free insofar as you need to own the game/have a save file from the game you're getting the cosmetic armor from.

    steam_sig.png
    Backloggery. It's totally updated again, I swear!
  • FawstFawst The road to awe.Registered User regular
    Nah, give it away to everyone. Plenty of people never played Andromeda but enjoyed the first 3 games. Or sell it for a buck if you have to. But I’m not going out of my way to make sure I own Andromeda for a cosmetic. And that would suck, since I was on the Mass Effect hype train long before it launched.

    PSN: Fawst0083
  • ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited November 11
    Preacher wrote: »
    Yeah I'm well aware of how Anthem wants to do it, and that's fine to me. Warframe is way more than just fancy hats though, you can flat out buy weapons and frames, materials literally anything that can drop, and that's just a bridge to far for me as far as monetization goes.

    Like The division had monetization for emotes and cosmetics, but they also just regular cosmetics earnable in game and I never ever felt the need to spend money on their shop. If that's how anthem goes I'm fine, and from what they've said that's their route only cosmetic no in game advantage.

    Correction: there are things that can drop that you can’t buy with real money in Warframe. Also, an aspect that shouldn’t be overlooked is that players can trade for the Real Money Currency, meaning that even players who don’t spend a dime can access the same ability to purchase weapons and frames outright, if they so choose and put the necessary time into trading for it.

    This is getting a bit down the rabbit hole. I highly doubt Anthem will allow it, I’m simply noting it for accuracy.

    It’s also separate from my original point which was more focused on the only things that were Real Money *Only* are cosmetics, at least off the top of my head.

    And as was also noted in the discussion, of course that tolerance is going to be somewhat different between a Freemium game from a small team and a Triple A title players paid $80-100+ just to get in the door.

    Having an ongoing revenue stream is just part of doing business these days. I don’t have to like it to appreciate less egregious ways of implementing it, is all I’m trying to express.

    Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • SorceSorce Registered User regular
    Javelin Personalization


    Alpha Gameplay

    steam_sig.png
    Backloggery. It's totally updated again, I swear!
    AegisForarFencingsaxPreacherHappylilElf
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Who wouldn't have a metal cape?

    torchlight-sig-80.jpg
    hlprmnky
  • PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    The live play was interesting. Though I wish it would have been the interceptor we followed, the storm gameplay was cool. That meteor attack definitely flashy.

    Still all in on going collusus, I don't want to fly away!

    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

    Http:// pleasepaypreacher.net
  • GMaster7GMaster7 Chili Dog Enthusiast Registered User regular
    A 45-minute alpha gameplay video?! WHAT?! I know what I'm watching tonight.

    PSN: SKI2000G | Steam: GMaster7 | Battle.net: GMaster7#1842 | Twitch: twitch.tv/SKI2000G
  • PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    GMaster7 wrote: »
    A 45-minute alpha gameplay video?! WHAT?! I know what I'm watching tonight.

    Well to be fair its like 25 minutes of gameplay and then around twenty of q/a with some limited showing of suit stuff.

    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

    Http:// pleasepaypreacher.net
  • RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    And the game audio is off for the entire thing. I could only watch a few minutes. I can't tell if they're uninteresting players, they're bad at showing off content, or if the game isn't very good.

  • ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    From the two devs playing? Not to come across as an apologist, but I think it's worth keeping in mind that this was (according to their chatter during the full stream) a slightly higher level of difficulty than they expected, with Pilots/Javelins they hadn't customized, nor weapon/gear loadouts that they'd picked out.

    "So, uh, maybe don't throw two dudes into the deep end, marketing guys." one might reasonably say. And I agree. But for two people playing things that may or may not fit their personal style, for whatever reason, I thought it was a fair demonstration of how the game might play with random folks, rather than the entirely scripted cakewalk that many of these kinds of 'trying so hard to be real but we all know it's not' experiences can portray. Like screwing up or having to flee for a bit of distance felt more real than the forced chatter during a one of The Division's ads that I always think back to when this kind of thing comes up (and yeah, Anthem did it too in an earlier 'trailer').

    It wasn't the best or most compelling way to show off the game necessarily, and yet I found it a bit endearing how real that experience felt. But I respect that that's not what everyone is looking for when it comes to a Triple A title, and one that the studio's fate may rest upon.

    Luckily, in about 2.5 months we'll have demo experiences galore to draw from, and full game experiences starting ~2 weeks after that. For Alpha footage, I'm liking these devstreams, but agree that more refined/polished showcases will be nice to dig into as well.

    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
    Fencingsax
  • dporowskidporowski Registered User regular
    The game audio is not off for the entire thing.

    Preachershryke
  • PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    It sounds like at least though we'll have more video soonish.

    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

    Http:// pleasepaypreacher.net
  • shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    edited November 21
    My main impression from the gameplay after like 10 minutes is that the guns sound anemic and don't seem to have any punchy feel to them, although the second is harder to tell from just watching gameplay so I can't be sure on that part.

    Audio-wise it's all put-put-put-put-put-put though.

    shryke on
  • BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular
    God I miss Mass Effect 3 style guns from BioWare so much

    Orca
  • SorceSorce Registered User regular
    God I miss Mass Effect 3 style guns from BioWare so much
    Yeah, didn't they get DICE to help out with that stuff? The gun sounds in ME3 were great.

    Guns did better damage in ME2 though, I think. Which was weird.

    steam_sig.png
    Backloggery. It's totally updated again, I swear!
    Orca
  • -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    shryke wrote: »
    My main impression from the gameplay after like 10 minutes is that the guns sound anemic and don't seem to have any punchy feel to them, although the second is harder to tell from just watching gameplay so I can't be sure on that part.

    Audio-wise it's all put-put-put-put-put-put though.

    I mean, it's an alpha build. Consider pretty much everything to be placeholder in some way.

    Fencingsax
  • shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    -Loki- wrote: »
    shryke wrote: »
    My main impression from the gameplay after like 10 minutes is that the guns sound anemic and don't seem to have any punchy feel to them, although the second is harder to tell from just watching gameplay so I can't be sure on that part.

    Audio-wise it's all put-put-put-put-put-put though.

    I mean, it's an alpha build. Consider pretty much everything to be placeholder in some way.

    Maybe. Maybe not. It's only months from release at this point and this is the build they wanted to showcase. There's as much reason to suspect some of these things are finalized already as their is to suspect they are not.

    BahamutZERO
  • dporowskidporowski Registered User regular
    shryke wrote: »
    -Loki- wrote: »
    shryke wrote: »
    My main impression from the gameplay after like 10 minutes is that the guns sound anemic and don't seem to have any punchy feel to them, although the second is harder to tell from just watching gameplay so I can't be sure on that part.

    Audio-wise it's all put-put-put-put-put-put though.

    I mean, it's an alpha build. Consider pretty much everything to be placeholder in some way.

    Maybe. Maybe not. It's only months from release at this point and this is the build they wanted to showcase. There's as much reason to suspect some of these things are finalized already as their is to suspect they are not.

    "Press RT to launch a bunch of meteors or something."

    I'm not trying to convince you or anything, but it's a build with that kind of debug messaging, that's audio mixed to have people talking over it. That shit is a build that's got someone at BioWare HQ just muttering to herself "omgdon'tcrashdon'tcrashomgit'snotcrashingomgdon'tcrash" for sure.

    FencingsaxForarMoridin889
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    One of the players fell through the ground!

    torchlight-sig-80.jpg
  • reVersereVerse Registered User regular
    dporowski wrote: »
    shryke wrote: »
    -Loki- wrote: »
    shryke wrote: »
    My main impression from the gameplay after like 10 minutes is that the guns sound anemic and don't seem to have any punchy feel to them, although the second is harder to tell from just watching gameplay so I can't be sure on that part.

    Audio-wise it's all put-put-put-put-put-put though.

    I mean, it's an alpha build. Consider pretty much everything to be placeholder in some way.

    Maybe. Maybe not. It's only months from release at this point and this is the build they wanted to showcase. There's as much reason to suspect some of these things are finalized already as their is to suspect they are not.

    "Press RT to launch a bunch of meteors or something."

    I'm not trying to convince you or anything, but it's a build with that kind of debug messaging, that's audio mixed to have people talking over it. That shit is a build that's got someone at BioWare HQ just muttering to herself "omgdon'tcrashdon'tcrashomgit'snotcrashingomgdon'tcrash" for sure.

    It's still a build that they were okay with showing, which means they think it'll make people interested in their game. And maybe it does for some people, but for some folks the uninspired shooting and lame gun effects is doing the opposite. This is the game that BioWare have said will focus on the gameplay over the story, and part of a good shooter gameplay experience is guns that feel* and sound good. That was not part of this demonstration. It doesn't mean they aren't going to tweak things in the couple of months they have left, but it is cause for some worry.
    *obviously we can't actually "feel" how the gunplay feels through video, but the shooting doesn't exactly look great

Sign In or Register to comment.