As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[FFRK] Realm draws tonight! Login for a free 11 pull for player favs! (Daily Draw!)

• Options
    Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    Step one to using steiner’s usb:

Give the sword to Beatrix and let her cast holy abilities with it

There is no step two

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    Step 1 was 2 steps.

• Options
    FryFry Registered User regular
    edited July 2018
    Enlong wrote: »
    Is Ability Double worth using an off-element soul break to get it?

Vivi (fire/non) and Palom (lit/ice) are both absurd. Someone on reddit had a series where they were using those two as their primary DPS to get sub-30 on 5* magicites. IIRC they had gotten through at least the first three (earth weakness, lightning weakness, water weakness), don't know if they continued the series after that.

Think about it this way: how many earth-element Meltdowns and hits is your caster getting per action?
    - Vivi, USB, trance-doublecast: 2.5 (8 or 12 hits)
    - Palom, USB, LM2-doublecast: 2.35 (8 or 12 hits)
    - Rude, earth aura BSB: 1.5 (4 hits)
    - Rinoa, earth aura USB, LMR-doublecast: 1.88 (4 or 8 hits)

Even Maria USB, which is on-element for Earth damage, isn't necessarily better, since she doesn't have a doublecast LM: she's at 3x damage, but locked to 8 hits.

If your hones hold up for the duration of the fight, it's really hard to beat the good Ability Doubles for DPS output.

Fry on
  • Options
    LeeksLeeks Registered User regular
    2/11 no disco

Dupe Eiko BSB
    Eiko LMR. Double cast for one of my go to healers is nice. Although I mainly use her for reflect strat against ixion, and she never casts anything but USB in that.

• Options
    edited July 2018
    Fry wrote: »
    Enlong wrote: »
    Is Ability Double worth using an off-element soul break to get it?

Vivi (fire/non) and Palom (lit/ice) are both absurd. Someone on reddit had a series where they were using those two as their primary DPS to get sub-30 on 5* magicites. IIRC they had gotten through at least the first three (earth weakness, lightning weakness, water weakness), don't know if they continued the series after that.

Think about it this way: how many earth-element Meltdowns and hits is your caster getting per action?
    - Vivi, USB, trance-doublecast: 2.5 (8 or 12 hits)
    - Palom, USB, LM2-doublecast: 2.35 (8 or 12 hits)
    - Rude, earth aura BSB: 1.5 (4 hits)
    - Rinoa, earth aura USB, LMR-doublecast: 1.88 (4 or 8 hits)

Even Maria USB, which is on-element for Earth damage, isn't necessarily better, since she doesn't have a doublecast LM: she's at 3x damage, but locked to 8 hits.

If your hones hold up for the duration of the fight, it's really hard to beat the good Ability Doubles for DPS output.

I see!

Seems to me that the strongest ones would be ones like Vivi, who have a Dive for even more Dualcast. But I think I can also get some good use out of Celes's variant, since it trades the element Aura for a buff to Spellblade damage. Thing is, it still seems tough for her to outpace Bartz in his four relevant elements, due to his speed buff and chase. She's probably good to go for lightning and especially ice, though. Would that I had room to fit her, Snow, Squall, and Ayame on the same team.

Enlong on
  • Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    I missed Vivi's USB again. Nothing for Zidane either. Got his auto en-fire LMR instead, along with Eiko's, as well as Amarant's BSB/USB, and Kuja's BSB2.

• Options
    Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular
    Vivi enfire lmr2 was the only thing I really want on the banner, for completion sake.

100 gem didn't succeed so will have to wait for another time.

steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
  • Options
    if you're doing the event dungeons, youll probably want to get naked for the book boss fight. Bringing in a bunch of characters who will 9999 everything just ensures that you can never actually kill the boss

• Options
    kuhlmeyekuhlmeye Registered User regular
    Ugh people were talking about how many crystals they had the other day and it made me sad. I need major orbs, and even with the updated rewards I pumped 500 stamina into lightning orbs this morning a got a whopping 19 orbs.

The amount of grinding necessary once you hit the late game content can be a touch depressing.

PSN: the-K-flash
  • Options
    LeeksLeeks Registered User regular
    Javen wrote: »
    if you're doing the event dungeons, youll probably want to get naked for the book boss fight. Bringing in a bunch of characters who will 9999 everything just ensures that you can never actually kill the boss

I got lucky and a back row mage managed to hit low enough first attack on auto. So the second attacked killed it.

• Options
    kuhlmeye wrote: »
    Ugh people were talking about how many crystals they had the other day and it made me sad. I need major orbs, and even with the updated rewards I pumped 500 stamina into lightning orbs this morning a got a whopping 19 orbs.

The amount of grinding necessary once you hit the late game content can be a touch depressing.

today is the only day I'm still farming orbs; but it's for assault saber so I need both holy and lightning, and it's bullshit they're on the same day.

Up to 4 R4s and an R3, and I'm pretty sure I'll still be running out halfway through.

• Options
    The game does vomit orbs and crystals of all flavors out of the events as well. As long as you know what you need, a couple weeks of farming the right orbs every day and doing events on the off days can get you a good stash fairly fast.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    Javen wrote: »

today is the only day I'm still farming orbs; but it's for assault saber so I need both holy and lightning, and it's bullshit they're on the same day.

Up to 4 R4s and an R3, and I'm pretty sure I'll still be running out halfway through.

That looks like enough for a sub-30s clear.

• Options
    kuhlmeyekuhlmeye Registered User regular
    Knight_ wrote: »
    The game does vomit orbs and crystals of all flavors out of the events as well. As long as you know what you need, a couple weeks of farming the right orbs every day and doing events on the off days can get you a good stash fairly fast.

If I'm being honest, I should probably just continue clearing out realm dungeons. I know the elites are good sources of orbs, it's just so boring!

PSN: the-K-flash
  • Options
    ElderlycrawfishElderlycrawfish Registered User regular
    Knight_ wrote: »

If I'm being honest, I should probably just continue clearing out realm dungeons. I know the elites are good sources of orbs, it's just so boring!

It's probably not a bad idea to do for the increasing of stamina as well.

• Options
    Note to self: maybe actually read the boss info for A++ Cid Missions. Maybe then you won't roll up to a dark-absorbing boss with your tricked-out Kuja.

• Options
    IlpalaIlpala Just this guy, y'know TexasRegistered User regular
    100-gem got me bupkiss on Tactics 2 but a disco on IX! Amarant USB

FF XIV - Qih'to Furishu (on Siren), Battle.Net - Ilpala#1975
    Switch - SW-7373-3669-3011
    Fuck Joe Manchin
  • Options
    ElderlycrawfishElderlycrawfish Registered User regular
    I know I should be using these Crystal waters but they feel like they're super elixirs that I should save for the end boss or something.

• Options
    Feed HP and defense to your healers.

• Options
    GrimthwackerGrimthwacker Registered User regular
    I pulled on the current banner: Amarant's BSB (meh) and Vivi's USB (dupe). Don't think I'll be doing that again.

How do you know which element a character is attuned to? I hear a lot of that here, but I'm nowhere near endgame stuff so I haven't had a reason to find out.

• Options
    I pulled on the current banner: Amarant's BSB (meh) and Vivi's USB (dupe). Don't think I'll be doing that again.

How do you know which element a character is attuned to? I hear a lot of that here, but I'm nowhere near endgame stuff so I haven't had a reason to find out.

You mean elemental infusion (the thing we mean when we say "En[Element]")? The first thing to know is to check the soul break you're using with the character. Soul breaks that give an elemental aura will say what element they're giving the character. After you've used it, the way to check what elemental aura a character currently has is to check for a particle effect surrounding their sprite (flames for fire, a sphere of electricity for lightning, floating stones for earth, a swirling abyss for darkness, etc.)

• Options
    GrimthwackerGrimthwacker Registered User regular
    OK, cool. Thanks.

• Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    Yeah, generally speaking certain characters end up themed to different elements (Terra to Fire, various Knights to Holy, Kain to Lightning, etc), while some others get multiple enElements (Bartz has like 4 bursts that are themed for different elements).

Certain character classes lend themselves to different elements based off of the abilities the classes get (dragoons are wind/lightning, monks are earth/fire, etc).

It doesn't mean that they can't DO other elements, they just have a certain bias. Any black mage can cast any black magic attack which covers every element but Holy. But certain ones get auras for certain elements (Rinoa has Ice and Earth, Vivi has Fire, etc) so they become "preferred" for those elements, but not necessary.

• Options
    Vivi USB gives him a fire aura, so he's incredibly good at fire damage, but as I was just mentioning up the page, the other effect of the USB (where it causes his black magic to cast twice) is honestly amazing. If you can equip him with, say, Chain Stoneja R4 and Meltdown R3, he's actually one of the stronger choices for Earth magic damage. Or change that Chain Stoneja to a Tornado and what do you know, now he's one of the best Wind mages.

• Options
    DarklyreDarklyre Registered User regular
    Yeah, while most characters have an elemental bias, a few have SBs which are just so good that they work for other elements (or non-elemental) as well. Ability doublers (Vivi, Maria, Palom, Orlandeau, Celes, Tifa) are absolutely ridiculous, but others can do good stuff as well. Cloud with his USB1 would be the most obvious example, but there's also Sora (who can natively fit into fire/ice/lightning teams at equal potency thanks to his unique LD layout) and the ninjas (who needs SBs?).

• Options
    Looking forward to V torment.

Probable team looks like:

Dorgann (USB - enEarth, Knight ability boost, increased DEF, chase)
    Galuf (USB - enEarth, 30/30 hastega)
    Lenna (BSB, but honestly more SSB since that heals more and has RES boost)
    Krile (sheepsong, BSB, chain)
    Faris (pentabreak USB)

Krile's chain doesn't help any because the team isn't fire oriented, but I've got literally nothing for bartz other than his SSB.

I feel this should be sufficient for 280 (although I've got doubts/concerns about sub 30?), But I assume I can't scratch ??? With that?

• Options
    edited July 2018
    What are my FFV assets for this, and will they work, I wonder.
    • Bartz: Enwind SSB, BSB1, BSBWa, BSBE, USB
    • Lenna: SB (Regen), BSB2 (I don't suppose Greg uses Ice attacks?), USB1
    • Faris: SSB, BSB1
    • Galuf: SB (Boostga), SSB (Enfire+Critga+Regen), BSB (Imperil Fire)
    • Krile: SSB (Sheepsong), BSB, Chain, OSB
    • Greg: BSB1, OSB, USB1, Chain
    • Exdeath: SSB (Power of the Void)
    • Dorgann: BSB
    • Kelger: SSB

...I figure I can run either a Fire team or an Earth team, using either Galuf's BSB or Dorgann's BSB to make the boss easier to damage.

If I went with Fire, I could use Greg's chain to give the party ATK+50%, and delay use of the Realm Chain for a little bit. Galuf and Bartz would be there to exploit the Fire imperil with their attacks.

If I went with Earth, I would need to use Lenna's USB and Dorgann's BSB to give my party a good ATK buff. I'd then use Bartz and Kelger for damage. Either Kelger or Galuf could help heal the party with one of their soul breaks, but Kelger's fast about it.

I think that Fire is more damage straight-up, whereas Earth is a more stable team. I guess I'll just have to experiment. Either way, I'll probably make Blastspell Strike for Bartz in preparation for this. I'd try a magic team, with Krile and Exdeath, but I don't really have enough FFV mages to justify that. Maybe if I had something for Gogo.

I wish Faris's BSB1 did Hyper Break instead of Full Breakdown. But I suppose a Full Break/Enfeebling Jitterbug combo still works here, and I can use the command 1 from the BSB to stack more ATK breaks on Greg.

The biggest obstacle in this realm is that we really only have Lenna as a dedicated healer, and her soul breaks have not been the kind of powerhouses that you get from characters like Ovelia and Alma.

Enlong on
  • Options
    ok I took another look at the equipment I was bringing into the Torment fight and opted for +holy non-synergy gear over synergy armor, and upgraded the weapons that teach Ramza/Agrias USB2, now I'm doing about 30% more damage than previously, so this may just be doable after all. It's causing me to have to re-learn the turn order though, since I'm hitting the AoE slow breakpoints much earlier.

• Options
    edited July 2018
    "Man, Pale Barrens and Netherbeast Cavern today? Do I even want more non-elemental Orbs right now? What can I even use them on?"

"Oh, they're used for Chain Firaga. And Tornado."

*looks at Vivi*

"Wow, where did all my non-elemental Orbs go? I should go to the Pale Barrens."

Enlong on
  • Options
    Ya I put an exploratory r5 earth ironfist into my spreadsheet and realized it basically uses my entire ne crystal stash by itself. Don’t think I’ve ever farmed ne but good a time as any to start.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    Meanwhile I have to clear some content before it goes away tonight, CT mainly.

Good news is though I started with Bahamut and after some finagling was able to get a completion with Yuna/Rikku/Tidus/Yuffie/Elarra

Fuck Joe Manchin
  • Options
    Working on the porcupine guy now. Does his ultimate missile volley always hit the same people 3 times or did I just get unlucky?

Fuck Joe Manchin
  • Options
    Decided I was going to finish off my mythril trying for Vivi USB rather than Bartz stuff.

2/11: Kuja LMR dupe, Zidane BSB2 dupe
    2/11: Amarant BSB, Vivi BSB2

Well, that sucks. I guess the consolation is that those draws would have been garbage no matter what banner I did them on, unless I waited for like six months. :/

• Options
    Ilpala wrote: »
    Working on the porcupine guy now. Does his ultimate missile volley always hit the same people 3 times or did I just get unlucky?

Ultimate missile volley is a 3 hit attack where every hit hits the same two people. So different ultimate missile volleys can target different people, but the three strikes will always hit the same people.

• Options
    38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    Who?

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• Options
    He's talking about Dáinsleif, I think

• Options
    Jragghen wrote: »
    He's talking about Dáinsleif, I think

Yea, that thing. Crystal Tower is done, though! Still need to do Byrnhildr in Trial of Ice.

Fuck Joe Manchin
  • Options
    It's not possible to get those two chests in the FFI dungeon, right?

• Options
    Jragghen wrote: »
    It's not possible to get those two chests in the FFI dungeon, right?

It is not.

Which is a little silly when Elarra is wearing the key as an accessory, but whatever.

• Options
    I'm pretty close! 35 seconds with pretty horrid doublecast luck, so it's definitely possible.

This discussion has been closed.