Club PA 2.0 has arrived! If you'd like to access some extra PA content and help support the forums, check it out at patreon.com/ClubPA
The image size limit has been raised to 1mb! Anything larger than that should be linked to. This is a HARD limit, please do not abuse it.
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

[pbp]Hunger of the Beast[ToA]

167891012»

• discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    "Mm, wouldn't eat it. Seems to make somethin eat you from the inside.
    Some sorta spirit-beast"

Steam Community page: http://steamcommunity.com/id/discrider/
    Oh hey! A knife!
  • XagarXagar Registered User regular
    She starts, and puts it back down quickly. Har, you think it actually looks pretty tasty and smells sweet.

@discrider @joshgotro Do you want to do anything while it's just you three, the prisoner, and the sheep? Otherwise, we'll cut to when Victor and Hans arrive around sunset, such as it is under the clouds.

• joshgotrojoshgotro Queen CityRegistered User regular
    I'm good to cut to Victor.

discrider
    Har spends the time retrieving her bow from the sole tree in the middle of this plain.

Oh hey! A knife!
    Soon enough, you see the cart roll back in, Hans and Victor atop it. The instant Hans sees the sheep, he leaps off, running over to them and rubbing up against Abby's face, the rest of the flock crowding around. He then starts speaking, but what comes out is a series of baaas instead of any human language. He's totally absorbed in this, all care thrown to the wind as he speaks to each one of his sheep, rubbing them affectionately.

The prisoner has awoken by this point, and was quickly gagged and bound by Nasim, who has him at knifepoint. You can see her shoulders relax the barest amount as she sees Victor pull in with their supplies. It occurs to you that it might be awkward trying to fit five people in the cart, even with Nasim shifted into a bird.

It's late evening, and the clouds are turning a deep, dark grey as the temperature drops. You could camp for the night, or you could press on back to town, which would cost 1 Spirit from everyone except Aub, due to her Endurance.

What do you do? @joshgotro @discrider @AustinP0027

I've also been thinking about how to make Endurance more exciting. I think the main idea is that it protects from mundane discomfort and injury. So the first tier gives you advantage against hazards, lets you go without resting for a day, etc. Tier 2 lets you ignore difficult terrain and temperature extremes, take half damage from falls and hazards, go without resting for 3 days. Tier 3 drastically slows aging, lets you do a D&D elf trance instead of sleeping, lets you go without resting for a week, and makes you all but immune to any kind of mundane injury, so you can just shrug off, say, a big rock falling on you.

"I'll take first watch."
    Aub tackles securing the cart, Colonel, and Bitsy.
    "Hans, can you get these animals home from here?

Hans unburies his face from Abby's side and baas at you for a second, then coughs, looking embarrassed. He then says "It's only a half a day's travel. I'd, uh, really rather you stick with me in case those bandits are still out here." He glances over the direction Har rode off in an hour ago. "That wolf was there with them that night, you know. Ate poor Chuck and Woodsley. I could live the rest of my life without seeing something like that again." He shudders. "I keep thinking about one of my sisters..." he trails off, then resumes comforting his sheep without saying another word.

Aub visibly shakes at the news and looks to the rider.

Geth roll 1d10+20 for Angry Face McINTERROGATE

Angry Face McINTERROGATE:
    1d10+20 29 [1d10=9]

That's a success! Describe what that looks like for Har, and ask some questions.

edited September 17
    The air starts to change around Aub as she moves towards the rider. Her emotion is obviously manifesting in the physical world. The aether seems to be radiating like heat.

Aub grabs the rider from Nasim, not taking care to make sure her knife doesn't hit.

"Where are they? Tell me now!?"

joshgotro on
  • AustinP0027AustinP0027 Registered User regular
    @Xagar Did the sheet update with the additional 10 exp?

@AustinP0027 Checked the history and I did indeed add that on.

"Second watch then", states Har a bit glumly, questioning how she thought that wolf was an innocent creature.

Aub and Nasim appear to have the interrogation under control, and not really seeing much else to do besides fathoming her guilt with Hans, Har retreats for the night.

Most of the night is spent in the aether, questioning the stars whilst flat on her back in her boat.
    It is quieter here.
    And the waves are always soothing.

She seems to be spending more and more time out here, disassociated from everybody.
    Or at least, disassociated apart from the rhythmic ripples the sleeping leave.
    Maybe it's true that the ocean calls people.

The next morning, Har wakes up refreshed, bouyed by the night's rest.
    But the beat of the waves against the deck does not seem to leave her this time.
    (Evocation Axis unlocked)

Oh hey! A knife!
  • AustinP0027AustinP0027 Registered User regular
    Victor says nothing as he begins to rest, being granted third watch by nature of the other two volunteering first. He retreats inwardly again, grasping at the Aether with the negative feelings he was able to invoke before. It was still a struggle, a constant battle of holding onto the magic and shaping it using the opposite emotion the Radiant normally exercised, but little by little, it took form in his mind, a small cloud, painful and choking, built from the anger he was able to drum up while thinking of the pain that was being inflicted on these people. And, just as it appeared, it dissipated, leaving behind newfound knowledge and skill.
    Victor has unlocked Plague Cloud

The prisoner cowers before the rage radiating off Aub, launching into a rambling account of how he ended up as a bandit, which, as he tells it, was all to protect his family from the cult, which terrifies him to no end. The Prophet swept through his town, flanked by monsters and a small group of followers, demanding they hand over their food or able-bodied workers, showing everyone terrifying visions from an orb he held in his hand. Nasim takes great interest at this, and gets his last known location: Baron's Hill.

Eventually Aub is able to pry out of the man the location of the bandit camp - downriver to the east, in the forest. The man begs her not to kill them, however, as many of them were coerced or young and foolish.

Late into the night, howls can be heard from close by, but the camp is unmolested, at least this night. You all awake, prisoner still secured.

The bandit camp is about 2.5 days east. Davittsburg is about 4 hours northwest.
    yp2ksit83wbm.jpg

joshgotroAustinP0027
167891012»