Club PA 2.0 has arrived! If you'd like to access some extra PA content and help support the forums, check it out at patreon.com/ClubPA
The image size limit has been raised to 1mb! Anything larger than that should be linked to. This is a HARD limit, please do not abuse it.
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

[pbp]Hunger of the Beast[ToA]

1141517192023

Posts

  • joshgotrojoshgotro Queen CityRegistered User regular
    edited March 10
    Geth roll 1d10

    1d10 9 [1d10=9]

    joshgotro on
  • joshgotrojoshgotro Queen CityRegistered User regular
    Geth roll 1d4

    1d4 3 [1d4=3]

  • joshgotrojoshgotro Queen CityRegistered User regular
    edited March 10
    Geth roll 1d12

    Colonel definitely wants to be a pretty Warhorse.

    1d12 2 [1d12=2]

    joshgotro on
  • discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    Har stares at the man.
    "Alri', first question.
    What do them fruit do?
    You all want'a be consumed by them seed demons or what?"

    Steam Community page: http://steamcommunity.com/id/discrider/
    Oh hey! A knife!
  • XagarXagar Registered User regular
    edited March 10
    Har & Victor find 15 gold, and Aub finds an enchanted tier 1 greatsword (sweeping weapon). Not sure if she wants to use it - note that the sweeping attack only works with weapon attacks like the soldier's Enduring Strike, and doesn't work with the area/touch attacks of the abyssal.

    I've added this stuff to your sheets. I updated Colonel as well.

    Xagar on
    joshgotro
  • XagarXagar Registered User regular
    "The sun fruit?" He glances down at his jacket for a moment. "They are a gift from the Lord of the Sun, filled with His vigor. But, only those blessed can survive the experience...unchanged. As to why?" A pause. "When the Prophet came, I saw it in his seeing stone: his army, waiting for the day they come for us, looking at us in the sky." His eyes turn glassy. "The only way to survive them is to join them."

  • joshgotrojoshgotro Queen CityRegistered User regular
    edited March 10
    @Xagar
    Aub jumps to tackle the man. "NOT AGAIN!"

    joshgotro on
  • XagarXagar Registered User regular
    You tackle the man, and he looks confused, fearfully asking "What? What do you want? This?" He takes the fruit out and throws it aside, an out-of-place ball of orange in the mud.

  • AustinP0027AustinP0027 Registered User regular
    Am I still turn limited in catching up to the group?

    Just deciding if I go back for the cart or try to join the scene

  • XagarXagar Registered User regular
    @AustinP0027
    The chase only went a couple minutes downhill, they're likely out of sight in the trees but within hearing distance. The cart is about twice that far in the other direction. If you wanted to have been catching up while the others were eating dudes or tackling people, you'll be there in a few seconds.

  • AustinP0027AustinP0027 Registered User regular
    Left behind, but clearly able to still hear the chase, Victor runs towards the new battle. By the time he arrives, it’s already over, with Aub pinning down the last combatant. The rambling rants of the bandit don’t shock the Radiant, he had assumed some amount of craziness would need to be involved in order to pull as many people into the mess they had stumbled upon.

    Victor walks up to the tossed orange “fruit”, taking care to not touch it but also aiming to prevent anyone else from touching it. “What else has your...” He pauses for a moment deciding what word to use, settling on something that would be less likely to insult their captive, “Prophet shared with you?

  • XagarXagar Registered User regular
    @AustinP0027 Make me a background check with advantage (due to your Cooking) and describe what kind of info you're looking for (about the monsters? about the figure they worship, Xia? about the Prophet? about the fruits? about their connection to dragons? about the army he mentioned?).

    The man seems willing to answer your questions, but separating fact and superstition might prove difficult.

  • AustinP0027AustinP0027 Registered User regular
    I want to know more about the fruit. Where does it come from, what does it do, what do they plan on doing with it.

    Geth, roll 2d10k1 for Background (Detective)

    Background (Detective):
    2d10k1 7 [2d10k1=[7], 1]

  • XagarXagar Registered User regular
    The man expounds more on the strange alien flora and fauna from the Dragonstar...

    "It is said that the first Prophet, hundreds of years ago, found a seeing stone attuned to the Dragonstar, and met Xia in it. Xia blessed the first Prophet with strength and visions of His holy trees, which he worked for many years to bring to life here.

    First among them are the sun trees, which bear fruit that have a powerful, mystic poison - but only for His enemies. Those who He has blessed, his Immortals, are healed instead. The fruit also serves as a catalyst for the birth of His holy beasts. When eaten by one who has been gifted with a seed of one of these beasts inside them, their life combines with the holy vigor inside the sun fruit, bringing forth another soldier in His army.

    Each kind of holy beast sprouts from its own kind of tree, but I have not been blessed with sight of these. There is, however, a sun tree in our camp, in its rightful, central place."


    ---
    Mechanically:
    -If someone is infested with a heartseed, eating a sun fruit will heal them for 10, and then, on their end step, they will die and spawn a monster.
    -If someone is symbiotically linked with a heartseed, eating a sun fruit will heal them for 10, and fill them with a feeling of euphoria and confidence.
    -If someone is neither of the above, eating a sun fruit will deal them 10 damage. This poison is lethal, and causes both body and spirit to wither.

  • AustinP0027AustinP0027 Registered User regular
    Victor looks down at the orange fruit near his feet, and considers squashing it for a second, before restraining himself. "Har. Seems like this might be useful to you maybe? Be careful. Not sure I like the concept of a death monster."

  • joshgotrojoshgotro Queen CityRegistered User regular
    @discrider is the good kind right? Not vitriol monster?

  • XagarXagar Registered User regular
    edited March 14
    Har could eat one without getting chest-bursted, yes.

    Xagar on
    AustinP0027
  • discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    Har puts the arrow away carefully.
    Not much to point at with Aub pinning the cleric like that.

    "Wat's this got to do with raiding barns and stealin' food then?
    Can't imagin' it helps you recruit soldiers drawing this much attention to yourselves.
    Wouldn' it have been easier jus' gettin gullible folk to take the seed quiet like?"

    Steam Community page: http://steamcommunity.com/id/discrider/
    Oh hey! A knife!
  • XagarXagar Registered User regular
    "I don't know, I swear! We were just told to get all the food we can and ship it south...I'm not a caravan guard, I just stay in camp, mostly!" He gulps. "There's another shipment leaving tomorrow morning, I could show you where they go through, maybe?", he desperately asks.

  • discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    edited March 16
    "'S another thing too.
    How big is this camp?
    'N are you all tied to bringin this Xia army about, or are some frighten' in t'not leaving?"

    discrider on
    Steam Community page: http://steamcommunity.com/id/discrider/
    Oh hey! A knife!
  • XagarXagar Registered User regular
    "We have about 40 men and a few horses. I'm sure some of the new recruits have their doubts, but Ana's sermons will set them straight. His army will come soon, and on that day you will either be with him or be swept away."

  • discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    "Doubts like that one what bolted?
    We saw one of your horses tearin' away from Ajax here."

    ..
    Har looks around just in case that man was going for reinforcements.

    Geth roll 1d10+4 for Perception

    Perception:
    1d10+4 11 [1d10=7]

    Steam Community page: http://steamcommunity.com/id/discrider/
    Oh hey! A knife!
  • XagarXagar Registered User regular
    edited March 16
    The man blanches and shuts his mouth as you mention the man fleeing on horseback, looking away nervously. It looks like your suspicion is correct - however, without an exact location of the camp, it's difficult to know how far out they are. Based on the directions you have, you'd bet it was somewhere between 30 minutes and 3 hours away.

    You don't see anything except more forest, and don't hear anything but the soft drop of snow on leaves. It seems like much of the local wildlife was scared away from the noise beforehand, so you're sure you would hear if there were any incoming men, much less horses.

    Nasim moves out of the man's sight and makes a throat-cutting motion to you.

    Xagar on
  • discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    Har glances at Nasim, before contemplating the healer again.
    If the man was so sure of his own right to power, then there was not much point in sparing him.
    But she was not yet sure who this Ana was, and whether the power they weilded was simply rhetorical.

    Geth roll 1d10+2 for determining if the healer is brain washed/spell-bound

    determining if the healer is brain washed/spell-bound:
    1d10+2 9 [1d10=7]

    Steam Community page: http://steamcommunity.com/id/discrider/
    Oh hey! A knife!
  • XagarXagar Registered User regular
    You don't see anything untoward in a closer mystic examination of the man, besides a slight tinge of the Tides of the Dragonstar - nothing you wouldn't expect in a cultist whose mind is elsewhere.
    Mystic mind control isn't really a thing in this setting, the farthest it goes is short-term manipulation of emotions.

  • discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    Har glances at Aub and Victor.
    She appears finished with her questions
    @AustinP0027 @joshgotro any objections to having Nasim off this guy?

    Steam Community page: http://steamcommunity.com/id/discrider/
    Oh hey! A knife!
  • AustinP0027AustinP0027 Registered User regular
    Victor turns away from the man on the ground. He knows what is likely to happen next, and while he doesn't necessarily like it, he isn't going to try and stop it. That doesn't mean he has to watch.
    I see Vic as someone who is more into giving life than taking, but not naive enough to assume nothing should ever be killed.

    Vic won't object. But let's not put him in a position to have to be the one to ever do it ok?

  • joshgotrojoshgotro Queen CityRegistered User regular
    Aub does the deed.

    @Xagar

  • XagarXagar Registered User regular
    You leave the man's corpse behind, and salvage what you can from the battlefield and the destroyed cart. You think you could continue down the path and find the camp before midday, but the rider will surely come back with reinforcements. A bigger problem quickly becomes apparent: neither horse wants anything to do with Ajax, and Bitsy particularly is near panic any time he's in sight.

    As you consider your options, the snow falls unabated. You realize this may prove an obstacle - or an opportunity, given the poor visibility.
    Har can pick up the sun fruit, if she wishes.

    For traveling towards the camp, let me know how you want to approach it - whether you want to use the road, go into the woods nearby, leave the cart behind and take Ajax or vice versa, set up an ambush here, or something else.

    The landmarks you were given, combined with Nasim's aerial scouting, are solid enough to find the camp within a day, no checks needed. If you want a stealthier approach, the lead person needs to make a background check to do that.

    Whaddaya do? @AustinP0027 @discrider @joshgotro

  • joshgotrojoshgotro Queen CityRegistered User regular
    edited March 21
    @Xagar @AustinP0027 @discrider

    Victor and Aub on Colonel. Har on Ajax. Stealth.

    joshgotro on
  • AustinP0027AustinP0027 Registered User regular
    edited March 22
    As long as Vic isn’t left behind to catch up, I'm good

    AustinP0027 on
  • discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    edited March 24
    "So..", Har starts, picking up the sun fruit.
    "sounds like we smash 'n grab.
    If we take ou' their tree and disable that Ana fellow, they should fall apar'."
    Har fishes around in her pockets.
    "'m not sure if we take Ajax but. He's a pretty big target that they're out looking for."
    She extracts a now superfluous vial.
    "'nyone need a health potion?"

    discrider on
    Steam Community page: http://steamcommunity.com/id/discrider/
    Oh hey! A knife!
  • XagarXagar Registered User regular
    Well, you taking Ajax or what?

  • discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    @Xagar is it possible for us all to ride Ajax? And if not would Ajax have to travel seperately?

    Steam Community page: http://steamcommunity.com/id/discrider/
    Oh hey! A knife!
  • XagarXagar Registered User regular
    @discrider Ajax will make angry growling noises if anyone but Har tries to ride him. If you want to take both the horses+cart and Ajax, you'll need to separate him by a significant distance, not out of earshot but definitely out of sight of the horses. Also, driving a cart through the woods isn't the easiest thing.

  • discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    Har eventually agrees after a short discussion to ride Ajax out in front of the wagon, keeping to the woods off the side of the main track that leads to the bandit camp.

    Geth roll 1d10+4 for lookout

    lookout:
    1d10+4 10 [1d10=6]

    Steam Community page: http://steamcommunity.com/id/discrider/
    Oh hey! A knife!
  • discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    edited March 27
    And stealthing as much as is possible with a giant dog and cart.
    I guess Ajax will also attack the camp first from a different angle from the cart if possible.

    discrider on
    Steam Community page: http://steamcommunity.com/id/discrider/
    Oh hey! A knife!
  • XagarXagar Registered User regular
    edited March 29
    @discrider Make a background check for stealth (would have disadvantage due to giant wolves being not subtle, but that perception was good enough to evade any patrols you may or may not run into)
    @joshgotro Make a background check for stealth (would have disadvantage due to carts being loud but Cooking is still in effect)

    EDIT: actually, from earlier posts I'm not 100% that you wanted to take the cart and Bitsy - are Aub and Victor taking Colonel up, following behind Ajax and Har, or are you taking the cart along? If the former, you can stay close enough together and just Victor can make a background check with advantage for the group.

    Xagar on
  • AustinP0027AustinP0027 Registered User regular
    Yeah, I thought we were just doing Horse but no cart.

    Geth, roll 2d10k1 for Background (Find that camp!)

    Background (Find that camp!):
    2d10k1 9 [2d10k1=[9], 8]

  • joshgotrojoshgotro Queen CityRegistered User regular
    edited March 29
    @Xagar Aub and Victor are riding Colonel. We are only following close enough that Ajax doesn't go mad.

    joshgotro on
Sign In or Register to comment.