Club PA 2.0 has arrived! If you'd like to access some extra PA content and help support the forums, check it out at patreon.com/ClubPA
The image size limit has been raised to 1mb! Anything larger than that should be linked to. This is a HARD limit, please do not abuse it.
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

[pbp]Hunger of the Beast[ToA]

11314151618

Posts

  • XagarXagar Registered User regular
    edited April 1
    Sorry about the delay, real life (tm) intruded.

    Over the next few hours, the party makes their way as quietly as they can through the forest. You find one of the landmarks you were looking for - a house-sized boulder split in half by natural forces, on the south side of the river. Soon after, Nasim spots a large, oddly cleared section of trees to the north. After a tense half an hour, she lands once again and reports that inside there was a vaguely circular fort, which she describes:

    On the South side of the fort, there is a low hill with a cave that a stream flows into. The fort is built onto this hill. The hill slopes down to the East, and there is an open area, spreading out in front of a gate. The hill slopes sharply down to the North, and the trees are densely packed here, close to the fort. To the West is a small cleared area, then a deep ravine. In the center, there is a large, cleared area with a sizable tree in the center. On the inside of the walls are windows or doorways facing in, and on top were a few guards.

    She says "I did not see the numbers our captive told us about, but they could easily fit inside the fort. We can assume that someone has gone to the battlefield we just left." She pauses for a moment, slowly twisting a ring on her finger. "I think we should try to watch them for some time, and eliminate their leader once we've gotten a good sense for their movements."

    ---
    Currently the party is to the southeast of the fort. It's about midday, and the snow is up to about an inch, swiftly filling in any tracks behind you. How do you want to approach, strategy-wise/direction-wise? Don't worry about making any more checks for now.

    Xagar on
  • AustinP0027AustinP0027 Registered User regular
    Sounds like we have a free pass of "they don't know we are here" for now.

    The North might allow us to get close with cover, but I'm guessing "sharply down" means some climbing effort. Kind of also wondering what's in/can we fit in the cave.

    Also, is there an option to firebomb the whole thing and pick them off as it burns? XD

  • joshgotrojoshgotro Queen CityRegistered User regular
    @AustinP0027 @discrider

    Keep Nasim on lookout?
    Someone sneaks the cave.
    Regroup?

  • XagarXagar Registered User regular
    edited April 1
    Nasim responds, "Hard to say from above, but the cave looked wide enough to fit a cart in. The fort itself was mostly made of stone...shoddy geomancy, likely. Scaling the trees should be doable - there were a few in reach of the walls."

    Xagar on
  • AustinP0027AustinP0027 Registered User regular
    Victor stared forward for a moment before turning back to Nasim. "Wide enough for a cart sure seems like it's some kind of entrance for them, which means it should be guarded as well. We might need to find another way in if we plan on entering without anyone knowing."

  • discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    Har interjects.
    "Was there any way that Ajax could get in that isn't likely guarded?
    We could perhaps set him loose outside as a distraction if not."

    Steam Community page: http://steamcommunity.com/id/discrider/
    Oh hey! A knife!
  • XagarXagar Registered User regular
    "I only saw four guards on the top of the wall. Seeing as we don't have a wizardly type who could get him through, Ajax could only fit in the cave or the gate." Nasim looks at Ajax's bulky form, spotted with white from the snow. "A distraction should work."

  • discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    Har scratches in the snow a bit with the hilt of her hammer.

    "Sounds t'me like a straight attack won't work.
    They've got the walls and some defenders, and we'd have to climb.

    So two thoughts:
    We wait n' commandeer one of t'carts carrying the food and sneak in.
    Maybe do similar as the search party for Ajax that's went out. Though we don't know their numbers.

    Or we set Ajax loose in front of the wall whilst we sneak through the water supply.
    If he draws the guards, we shouldn' ge' pinned in the cave, n' can fight those that aren't searchin' on even terms.

    If we wait, then we'll have to fight 'em all to burn that tree, when the search party returns."

    Steam Community page: http://steamcommunity.com/id/discrider/
    Oh hey! A knife!
  • AustinP0027AustinP0027 Registered User regular
    "Maybe we set the wolf loose then. I don't know how much control you have over him, but would you really expect him to sit idle if we tried to sneak in with a cart?" Victor cautiously looked up at the massive beast. "He probably would be running out into the field either way, so perhaps we make that part of our plan."

  • XagarXagar Registered User regular
    Ajax slowly yawns, giving Victor an excellent view of his teeth.
    leg31s4cbao0.jpg

    Nasim stands. "Go now, or set an ambush." She turns and looks into the woods. "As long as you bring me closer to the Prophet, I will follow."

  • discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    "Soun's like I take Ajax to the gate, after you all get to the South stream.
    I rile 'im up, and then you lot try to take the cave.
    Hopefully I can make it to the cave before it's all over.
    We righ' to go?"

    Steam Community page: http://steamcommunity.com/id/discrider/
    Oh hey! A knife!
  • joshgotrojoshgotro Queen CityRegistered User regular
    edited April 6
    Aub tightens the straps of her armor and sword belt. "You'll be behind me Victor? Let's make this quick."

    @Xagar

    joshgotro on
  • XagarXagar Registered User regular
    Geth, roll 1d12

    1d12 1 [1d12=1]

  • XagarXagar Registered User regular
    edited April 8
    The party makes their way northwest, following a ridge that parallels a path through the trees. Even under a layer of snow, fresh hoof prints pockmark the path - a lot of of them. The ridge pulls off to the left soon after, and the fort becomes visible, a smooth, two-story stone structure atop a cave with a wide stream running into it. From your position in the trees to the south, you can see thin trails of steam rising from the fort. The wooden gate lies closed to the right of the cave, up the hill, the path and its tracks you saw earlier leading into it. From this low angle, it's difficult to see anyone that may or may not be on top of the walls.

    ---
    @discrider Go ahead and describe your distraction, and make a background check for performance to see how it goes! You can order Ajax around pretty well as long as you are riding him - see the Companions/Storage sheet for details.

    Xagar on
  • discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    Leaving the rest of the party near the stream, Har and Ajax creep around to the edge of the East's open area.

    "Okay", Har says, burying herself in Ajax's fur, "Let's run ou' there and make some noise"

    Ajax whines.
    "Heh. Go."
    Geth roll 1d10 for drawing attention in the East then getting out
    Geth roll 1d10+4 for Har's hidden though

    drawing attention in the East then getting out:
    1d10 7 [1d10=7]
    Har's hidden though:
    1d10+4 14 [1d10=10]

    Steam Community page: http://steamcommunity.com/id/discrider/
    Oh hey! A knife!
    XagarAustinP0027joshgotro
  • XagarXagar Registered User regular
    Stealth is a background check, you don't get a modifier - that roll's good enough anyway though!

    The reverberations of Ajax's yowling fill the east side of the fort, and the snow under his paws turns dark and muddy as he circles back and forth past the gate several times. There are near-immediate shouts from the top of the walls, cries of surprise and fear, and ten or more simply-dressed men quickly fill them, one in a bright red robe.

    "What happened to Mikhail's squad? He left only a few hours ago!"
    "Dammit, none of us can tame this thing!"
    "Someone go find Ana!"
    "No way I'm going out there."
    "Is Jakob really dead? What are we going to do?"
    "Settle down, men! If it tries to get in, we'll burn it down like anything else."


    Amidst the confusion and flying snow, Har's armor and dark hair blend in with the dense fur on Ajax's back, and the shouts grow quieter as they drop back into the woods to the east. The rest of the party can see that a tense discussion is taking place on top of the walls. Their attention is focused on the spot where Ajax reentered the woods.

    Geth, roll 2d10l1

    2d10l1 6 [2d10l1=[6], 10]

  • XagarXagar Registered User regular
    edited April 10
    Within a few minutes, the discussion ends, and many of the men disappear from the top of the walls. Shortly afterwards, the gate swings open, carving a groove in the snow. Twelve men spill out in a disorganized yet determined manner, led by the red-robed man.

    If there was a time to sneak in, this is it.

    ---
    @discrider Presumably you circled around to the party, did you want to try to take Ajax with you into the cave or leave him somewhere?
    @AustinP0027 @joshgotro Both of you go ahead and make background checks for stealth with advantage. Colonel can easily fit into the cave mouth with you.

    Xagar on
  • AustinP0027AustinP0027 Registered User regular
    Geth, roll 2d10k1 for Sneak,Sneak,Sneak into the fort

    Sneak,Sneak,Sneak into the fort:
    2d10k1 4 [2d10k1=[4], 3]

  • discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    Har looks back at the diminishing fort, and the line of bandits coming out.
    "Aye, Ajax, this is where we split up."
    Quickly dismounting, she picks up a small branch.
    "Run Ajax! Go!"

    Quickly circling back, Har sweeps the ground roughly behind her, attempting to disguise her tracks whilst Ajax runs through the woods.

    Geth roll 1d10 for goose chasing

    goose chasing:
    1d10 9 [1d10=9]

    Steam Community page: http://steamcommunity.com/id/discrider/
    Oh hey! A knife!
    joshgotro
  • joshgotrojoshgotro Queen CityRegistered User regular
    Geth roll 2d10k1 for Kronk Sneak

    Kronk Sneak:
    2d10k1 7 [2d10k1=[7], 7]

  • XagarXagar Registered User regular
    edited April 11
    Geth, roll 2d10k1 for highly-trained asassin sneak

    cmooooooooooon

    highly-trained asassin sneak:
    2d10k1 4 [2d10k1=[4], 3]

    Xagar on
  • discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    Har rolling a cave stealth check I guess, but she thinks things will have already started by the time she arrives.
    Geth roll 1d10 for 'Stealth'

    'Stealth':
    1d10 10 [1d10=10]

    Steam Community page: http://steamcommunity.com/id/discrider/
    Oh hey! A knife!
  • XagarXagar Registered User regular
    That evens out the successes/failures, which is good!

    As the party sans Har closes into the cave mouth, the sounds of men crashing through trees grow faint. A thin, raised stone path sits to the left of the stream, turning sharply to the left after about ten meters. Around the bend, a warm yellow glow shines, and you can hear a hissing noise that grows louder as you approach.

    Colonel's hoof clacks loudly on a loose stone, and you can hear the scraping of metal on stone and see the light shift as a man holding a lantern comes around the corner. He squints, and then his eyes widen in recognition as he lets out a loud "AW FUCK." Everyone but Nasim recognizes this man - it's the thin bandit who fled from you several days earlier.

    ---
    Har is just another a shadow in the blacks, greys, and browns of the forest, and follows only a minute behind the rest.

  • XagarXagar Registered User regular
    The party can see about this much at the moment, around the corner:
    m4zm2p69q161.png

  • AustinP0027AustinP0027 Registered User regular
    Are we initiative'ing to start combat, or can we take actions with just 1d10 rolls?

  • XagarXagar Registered User regular
    At this point, it's up to you.

  • joshgotrojoshgotro Queen CityRegistered User regular
    edited April 12
    @AustinP0027 @discrider
    Aub would like to once again leap from Colonel and tackle this bandit or maybe use her new greatsword to run him through as she falls onto him.

    Just a thought.

    joshgotro on
  • AustinP0027AustinP0027 Registered User regular
    Can you tackle but not kill?

    Thinking we might need this guy to get in possibly.

  • XagarXagar Registered User regular
    edited April 12
    You can do a nonlethal takedown if you drop the target to 0 with a basic attack - you can stow equipment for free during your turn, so this would be pretty simple. You could also defeat him, then stabilize or revive him. If you want to try to physically restrain him, you'll be making an opposed Health check.

    Xagar on
  • XagarXagar Registered User regular
    Not sure if I mentioned this before, but boons/banes give advantage/disadvantage on stat checks while in combat.

    Health = vigor/burn
    Spirit = power/weakness
    Reflex = stability/stagger
    Speed = haste/slow
    Initiative = clarity/blind

  • discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    Har's not there, but yeah, might need him to open the grate @joshgotro

    Steam Community page: http://steamcommunity.com/id/discrider/
    Oh hey! A knife!
  • joshgotrojoshgotro Queen CityRegistered User regular
    edited April 13
    @Xagar Aub reflexively jumps off Colonel towards the bandit.

    Geth roll 1d10 for John Woo pigeon dives.

    John Woo pigeon dives:
    1d10 7 [1d10=7]

    joshgotro on
  • XagarXagar Registered User regular
    edited April 14
    Geth, roll 1d10 for do not want grapple

    Even suprised, the bandit still breaks free after a quick scuffle. He starts yelling for help at the top of his lungs as he flees down the hall.

    EDIT EDIT: Har is not here yet, correction to image made. She is about 3 rounds out from the bottom of the map.
    EDIT EDIT EDIT: Colonel has 3 Spirit and 4 Reflex now!

    @joshgotro @AustinP0027 @discrider post your loadouts and make an Initiative check to see what you can see of the battlefield.
    Battle Start!
    d803soxjdbox.png

    do not want grapple:
    1d10 10 [1d10=10]

    Xagar on
  • AustinP0027AustinP0027 Registered User regular
    Geth, roll 1d10+2 for Init

    Loadout:
    Active Skills [Deliverance], [Waters of Life], [Aura Flash], [Revival Burst]
    Reaction Skill [Shimmering Veil]
    Support Skill [Spirit Bond]
    Movement Skill [Reposition]
    Ultimate Skill [Beacon of Dawn]

    Victor will Spirit Bond Aub to start.

    Init:
    1d10+2 12 [1d10=10]

  • discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    R: Lunge
    A: Piercing Thrust, Purge, Counter Stance, Execute
    S: Duelist Finesse
    M: Shadow Walk
    U: Flowing Blades

    Weilding her bow, as she figures she might need to attack from behind the others.

    Geth roll 1d10+4 for initiative

    initiative:
    1d10+4 5 [1d10=1]

    Steam Community page: http://steamcommunity.com/id/discrider/
    Oh hey! A knife!
  • XagarXagar Registered User regular
    edited April 14
    Tiny patch notes:
    Paladin - Support - Vengeance: Text changed to:
    When an enemy attacks one of your allies, you may mark it it for vengeance. Limit 1 mark at once, and may only be used once per round.

    When you attack a marked enemy, deal +2 damage, remove its mark, and gain a counter.

    When you use a skill on an ally that heals, revives, blocks, or reduces damage, you may spend any number of counters to increase those effects by 1 per counter.

    Rogue - Active - Smoke Bomb: New effect:
    If you start your turn on the tile you threw the bomb onto on your last turn, you may immediately throw it again without spending an action.

    Xagar on
  • joshgotrojoshgotro Queen CityRegistered User regular
    edited April 14
    @Xagar Is a greatsword two handed?

    Active: Measured Strike, Quake Stomp, Steady Stance, Healing Hands
    Reaction: Stand Firm
    Support: Focused Defense
    Movement: Cover
    Ultimate: Inner Strength

    Geth roll 1d10+1

    1d10+1 4 [1d10=3]

    joshgotro on
  • XagarXagar Registered User regular
    edited April 14
    @joshgotro
    I took the one hand/two hand thing out, it's main hand/off hand now. A greatsword is sweeping (see the Armory sheet for details on the weapon type) and goes in the main hand. Right now you're using a sword and shield, both of which are off hand. So, with what you have, you could use either sword/shield, greatsword/sword, or greatsword/shield.

    @AustinP0027
    It is Victor's turn!

    Xagar on
  • joshgotrojoshgotro Queen CityRegistered User regular
    edited April 14
    Xagar wrote: »
    @joshgotro
    I took the one hand/two hand thing out, it's main hand/off hand now. A greatsword is sweeping (see the Armory sheet for details on the weapon type) and goes in the main hand. Right now you're using a sword and shield, both of which are off hand. So, with what you have, you could use either sword/shield, greatsword/sword, or greatsword/shield.

    @AustinP0027
    It is Victor's turn!

    @Xagar Do we have a link to the newest rules set or is v17 it?

    joshgotro on
  • XagarXagar Registered User regular
    Haven't updated them yet in detail, but those are all still accurate.

Sign In or Register to comment.