Club PA 2.0 has arrived! If you'd like to access some extra PA content and help support the forums, check it out at patreon.com/ClubPA
The image size limit has been raised to 1mb! Anything larger than that should be linked to. This is a HARD limit, please do not abuse it.
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

[pbp]Hunger of the Beast[ToA]

11718192022

Posts

  • XagarXagar Registered User regular
    edited May 14
    Lucky for you, the drake is dumb!

    "Attack" is a keyword, if you're attacking a character you always need an attack roll unless you would always succeed or always fail for some reason. Sorry I haven't finished rewriting the rules for more clarity yet, I only just finished my item rework last night. I'll wait to implement it here until the battle is over because that would be weird otherwise.

    Xagar on
  • XagarXagar Registered User regular
    The instant the nimbus of light expanding from Aub touches the beast, it disappears as if it was never there. The cave is once again only dimly lit by lanterns and the red glow emanating from its belly.
    The drake used Spellbreaker Armor to negate a unity axis attack.

    @joshgotro Aub/Colonel's turn!

  • joshgotrojoshgotro Queen CityRegistered User regular
    Quake Stomp, Stand Firm readied, and Focused Defense East.

    Geth roll 1d10 for Alley-oop!

    Alley-oop!:
    1d10 7 [1d10=7]

  • XagarXagar Registered User regular
    After the sound fades, more cracks appear in the beast's armor. It hisses and backs back into its lair, taking a defensive stance.
    The drake buffs itself with Tank Up, gaining +10 Reflex and unlimited reactions until its next turn.

    Since this is a buff, it can be dispelled.

    @discrider Har's turn!

  • discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    Can I reach it @Xagar ?

    Steam Community page: http://steamcommunity.com/id/discrider/
    Oh hey! A knife!
  • XagarXagar Registered User regular
    Victor, standing close to the stairs, can now hear the sound of blades clashing from up it. Suddenly, Nasim reappears, switching with her shadow, and chasing her is a soldier, whose eyes widen at the sight of a whole party of invaders.

  • XagarXagar Registered User regular
    @discrider Looks like it's just out of range any way you slice it.

  • discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    Har sighs and mounts Colonel.
    Tentatively raising her Counter stance atop horseback, she wishes she would stop looking cool if it would also stop her faffing about.
    Then again, she hardly thought she'd make it back here in time to help at all, so..

    @AustinP0027

    Steam Community page: http://steamcommunity.com/id/discrider/
    Oh hey! A knife!
  • XagarXagar Registered User regular
    After Victor's Reposition, Nasim's vigor and Healing Salve heal her for 4.

  • AustinP0027AustinP0027 Registered User regular
    Victor sees the Drake retreat, and hears the soldier coming up the stairs. Caught between a desire to distance himself from the new entry to the fight, as well as a lack of desire to move any closer to the drake, the Radiant eventually decides to shift closer to Nasim and hopefully a little further out of range from the Drake. The Radiant also covers himself in healing light, patching up the hit he took from the Drake's flame breath.
    Move to F6 with Reposition
    New Turn:
    Cast [Deliverance] on Victor to heal 4
    Hold move again

    @joshgotro

  • joshgotrojoshgotro Queen CityRegistered User regular
    edited May 14
    Aub turns in a circle, Har on top of Colonel, Victor slowly reaching Nasim, a new threat, and finally back to the drake.

    "Are we friends yet big fella?

    Steady Stance and Focused Defense east.

    "I can't let you get through here big guy!"

    @Xagar

    joshgotro on
  • XagarXagar Registered User regular
    Nasim disappears again, blinking to her shadow, then quickly pulls a small vial from her pocket. After coating her blade in the viscous fluid inside, she seems ready to strike the soldier. Her eyes fixed on him, she says "Stop him."

    Meanwhile, the drake continues hissing loudly, bleeding from its side and backing further into its den.
    Nasim uses Serpent's Tooth and chooses to delay it until her end step.
    The drake uses Tank Up again and moves back.

    @discrider Colonel/Har's turn!

  • discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    Does Har have line of sight to the Soldier from where she is @Xagar ?

    Steam Community page: http://steamcommunity.com/id/discrider/
    Oh hey! A knife!
  • XagarXagar Registered User regular
    @discrider It's a pretty hard corner - I'd say you could hit him from E8.

  • discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    Urging Colonel back into action, Har flies to E8.
    Glancing at the retreating reptile, Har instead levels an arrow at the interloper.

    Geth roll 1d10 for Piercing Strike
    @Xagar

    Piercing Strike:
    1d10 8 [1d10=8]

    Steam Community page: http://steamcommunity.com/id/discrider/
    Oh hey! A knife!
    joshgotroXagar
  • XagarXagar Registered User regular
    edited May 15
    He tries to block it with his shield, but, at the last second, the arrow curves unnaturally around it.
    He then strikes at Nasim and tries to make a run for it, shouting for help as he goes.
    S takes 5 damage for Piercing Thrust!
    S uses Enduring Strike, healing himself for 1, then attacking for 6 damage.
    Nasim blocks -4 with Deflect, reducing it to 2 damage.
    S uses Shoulder Ram into B5 to push Nasim to D5.
    Retreating reptile.
    62nfr4sfo30o.jpg

    Geth, roll 1d10 for attack roll.

    attack roll:
    1d10 1 [1d10=1]

    Xagar on
  • XagarXagar Registered User regular
    edited May 15
    Nasim regenerates 4 Health on her end step from her Healing Salve and vigor.

    @AustinP0027 Victor's Reposition/Turn!

    Xagar on
  • discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    @Xagar for Nasim's serpent tooth

    Steam Community page: http://steamcommunity.com/id/discrider/
    Oh hey! A knife!
    Xagar
  • XagarXagar Registered User regular
    edited May 15
    Oops.

    Nasim's throw is blocked, but on the backswing, she flicks a line of poison across the soldier's face.
    Nasim has +2 rolls & -2 damage from her dagger, so she inflicts burn and doubles it with Serpent's Tooth.
    The soldier takes 4 damage from this at the end of the round.

    Geth, roll 2d10 for attack, effect

    attack, effect:
    2d10 7 [2d10=3, 4]

    Xagar on
  • XagarXagar Registered User regular
  • AustinP0027AustinP0027 Registered User regular
    Victor positions himself to be able to see Nasim, Aub, and Har clearly, knowing that if the group split they might be in trouble. He focuses on Har and Colonel, pushing his palms towards the ground, and lifting them up towards the air, creating a pool of light in their area to heal them.
    Not actually using the movement from last turn.
    New Turn:
    Cast [Waters of Life] targeting F7:E8.
    Har is healed for 3
    Colonel is healed for 5

    @joshgotro

  • discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    Har lowers her bow, having taken a second cheeky strike at the attacking soldier with Lunge.
    Geth roll 1d10

    1d10 3 [1d10=3]

    Steam Community page: http://steamcommunity.com/id/discrider/
    Oh hey! A knife!
  • XagarXagar Registered User regular
    edited May 15
    discrider wrote: »
    Har lowers her bow, having taken a second cheeky strike at the attacking soldier with Lunge.
    Geth roll 1d10

    You don't have to roll for it, seeing as it's a reaction, but to see him you'd need to dash off Colonel to E6 (which potentially alters Victor's turn).

    EDIT: Never mind, the soldier attacked then moved. You're good.

    Xagar on
    discrider
  • XagarXagar Registered User regular
    @joshgotro Aub's turn.

  • XagarXagar Registered User regular
    Map
    21oo6n49lmvr.png

  • discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    Xagar wrote: »
    Map
    21oo6n49lmvr.png

    I think Nasim is next to the Soldier having dashed with serpent tooth, unless the dagger was ranged.

    Steam Community page: http://steamcommunity.com/id/discrider/
    Oh hey! A knife!
  • XagarXagar Registered User regular
    edited May 15
    Yes, the dagger is a throwing weapon, range 1-6, -2 damage.

    Xagar on
  • joshgotrojoshgotro Queen CityRegistered User regular
    edited May 15
    @discrider @AustinP0027 @Xagar

    Aub surveys the room once more.
    "Are we leaving? I don't think big fella is going to follow if we're going up stairs!"

    joshgotro on
  • XagarXagar Registered User regular
    edited May 15
    "We could kill it to secure our escape route, but there are more pressing things to worry about."

    Geth, roll 1d10 for Nasim does a think

    Nasim does a think:
    1d10 1 [1d10=1]

    Xagar on
  • joshgotrojoshgotro Queen CityRegistered User regular
    @Xagar Steady Stance and Focused Defense until everyone is by the stairs.

  • XagarXagar Registered User regular
    edited May 16
    Nasim easily catches the fleeing man and slits his throat.

    The drake continues backing up, cowed by the much smaller figure in front of it.

    Nasim pauses to listen for a moment, and says "Up there was almost as loud as down here." She pauses. None of you hear anything besides Colonel snuffling and the hissing of steam growing fainter. "They may be alerted. What should we do?"

    The battle may or may not be over. What do you do?

    Xagar on
  • discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    Har dismounts and switches back to her hammer.
    "Th' longer we're down 'ere, th' more likely all th' others get back.
    Let's get up there and then worry about getting out later.
    If we're lucky, we can catch th' others coming back from within their own fort.

    Can we get Colonel up the stairs?"

    Steam Community page: http://steamcommunity.com/id/discrider/
    Oh hey! A knife!
  • XagarXagar Registered User regular
    The rectangular stairwell is more than tall enough for Colonel, but it's almost too narrow to fit him. Looking up past a pair of corpses, light filters in through an open door on the right side of the stairs, Nasim's shadow standing guard. The stairs are only about a story tall, so it should only take a few seconds for anyone smaller than Colonel.

    Colonel will be at half Speed, will block everyone including allies from passing through him, and any corners or lower ceilings will take a full turn to navigate.

  • joshgotrojoshgotro Queen CityRegistered User regular
    edited May 16
    "I'll hold as long as necessary."

    joshgotro on
  • discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    'Do we leave him ere, or..', Har considers the cells for a moment, then shakes her head.
    The lizard has just broken through his bars just now. These cells could hardly keep him from Colonel.
    'Maybe we go up first, and Victor leads 'im through.'

    Steam Community page: http://steamcommunity.com/id/discrider/
    Oh hey! A knife!
  • AustinP0027AustinP0027 Registered User regular
    Victor nods in agreement. "We can't leave him down here with that beast. You all go ahead and I'll bring him up at the rear. It's not like we have much we could retreat to anyways"

  • XagarXagar Registered User regular
    edited May 16
    @joshgotro @discrider @AustinP0027 Let me know the exact order (Nasim's shadow will go first, Nasim herself will go wherever you want her) and I'll move you guys in initiative to the next map (South 1F)!

    EDIT: There will be more than enough time for Victor to heal everyone to full, so I'll go ahead and do that.
    EDIT EDIT: Stuff like this is probably best sorted out on the discord that was set up last year.

    Xagar on
    AustinP0027joshgotro
  • discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    Ordering suggestion: Aub, Nasim, Har, then Vic leading Colonel
    @joshgotro if that looks good

    Steam Community page: http://steamcommunity.com/id/discrider/
    Oh hey! A knife!
    joshgotro
  • joshgotrojoshgotro Queen CityRegistered User regular
    @Xagar we'll use @discrider order. Up them stairs into the frying pan.

  • XagarXagar Registered User regular
    All told, it only takes about a minute to get everyone up the stairs. Colonel is still constrained by the tight corners inside the fort, even when past the doorway. You see undecorated stone hallways, much better lit than the repurposed cavern downstairs. Near the base of the walls, there are grates that give off a comfortable warmth spaced out at regular intervals, steam trickling out of them. An open door lies hanging, and snow has already begun settling on its stoop. Nasim keeps her shadow close ahead, looking around corners, but it looks like anyone who was here has left.

    At the end of the hallway immediately to the west, you can see a spiral staircase and a hallway that curves off to the western side of the fort.
    The door immediately to the north leads directly outside.

    To the north lies the center of the fort, an open area with a sun fruit tree centered in it.
    To the west is the side of the fort facing the ravine.
    To the east is the gate, and likely gatehouse.

Sign In or Register to comment.