Club PA 2.0 has arrived! If you'd like to access some extra PA content and help support the forums, check it out at patreon.com/ClubPA
The image size limit has been raised to 1mb! Anything larger than that should be linked to. This is a HARD limit, please do not abuse it.
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

[pbp]Hunger of the Beast[ToA]

12357

Posts

  • XagarXagar Registered User regular
    edited August 7
    At the end of the round, the mud pulls Har deeper inside, dealing 3 damage.
    Geth, roll 2#1d10 for attack roll, effect roll

    The mud grasps deep, but a sparkling cloud of light from Victor shoves it back down where it was. (The slow worked, but a Shimmering Veil blocked that effect.)

    Regular 3's spirit fades away....

    attack roll, effect roll:
    2#1d10 2 # 2 [1d10=2] 8 [1d10=8]

    Xagar on
  • XagarXagar Registered User regular
    Top of Round 4!
    fe28xoc8dakc.png
    @discrider Har's turn!

  • discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    ...
    Har blind-sides #2 with her hammer's staff-handle before he can land his attack (Duelist support).
    "A bit of help?", Har asks Victor, offering the handle.

    @Xagar do defeated characters block movement through them for enemies?

    Steam Community page: http://steamcommunity.com/id/discrider/
    Oh hey! A knife!
    Xagar
  • XagarXagar Registered User regular
    edited August 7
    @discrider Nope, they are flat on the ground/bodily dead. You can't stop on their tiles or affect them with anything that doesn't specifically target defeated characters, though.

    Ooh, also good point, Duelist's Finesse lets you cancel that attack!

    Xagar on
  • discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    A swift pull later, and Har is back on dry ground.

    Swiftly marching to E7 she stares down the singer.
    "'ave you thought about not?"
    Geth roll 2#1d10 for reflex, choking the magic out of this one

    reflex, choking the magic out of this one:
    2#1d10 2 # 5 [1d10=5] 1 [1d10=1]

    Steam Community page: http://steamcommunity.com/id/discrider/
    Oh hey! A knife!
  • discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    :(
    Failed to extract payment for my boots with purging grasp.
    @Xagar

    Steam Community page: http://steamcommunity.com/id/discrider/
    Oh hey! A knife!
  • XagarXagar Registered User regular
    edited August 7
    As the caster's turn starts, the morass fades...

    She smirks and says "Now I only think of the glories of AAH YOU PUNCHED ME!" she yelps. Another mix of anger and arrogance passes over her face as she yells again "I have the Prophet's flame inside me! Watch!" She takes something out of her bag, a squishy, vaguely spiky orange sphere.

    mztlgz2d8hj0.jpg

    Har, with her close vantage can see it clearly. Her vision sees just an ordinary object, but in the aether, it almost screams, its edges seeming to be covered with a thick, black outline that shudders and vibrates with an intense strangeness.

    The woman bites into it, quickly devouring it. Only a moment after, she falls to her knees in the dirt, pale and sweaty. The bruise on her face heals almost instantly, but instead of smooth flesh, a few thick black bristles covered in the same shuddering outline spike out from the injury. She lets out one more weak chuckle as she glares up at Har.

    @discrider, make a Spirit check for wtf just happened?

    @AustinP0027 Victor's turn!

    Xagar on
  • AustinP0027AustinP0027 Registered User regular
    @Xagar Since my Aura Flash would target Har, can the blindness still touch the caster? Or would that not work since I can't see her myself?

  • XagarXagar Registered User regular
    edited August 7
    @AustinP0027 You're targeting Har, and then there's an area attack around her. Area effects go right through vision-only blockers, for the most part. It wouldn't go through a tree, but you could definitely attempt to blind the singer.

    Also, last time you forgot to make an attack roll for it - even though it only does a status effect you do still need to roll in case they could react.

    Xagar on
  • AustinP0027AustinP0027 Registered User regular
    Victor helped Har out of the muck happily. If not for the woman, that bandit would have hit Victor directly, which clearly would have disliked. The Radiant couldn't directly make out the person behind the voice, but Har was close enough to attempt an attack and that left Victor with an opening as well. Focusing on Har, a quick flash appeared around her once again.

    Geth roll 1d10 for Blind Caster
    Rolling outside spoiler block this time to make sure it doesn't hide it.

    Victor isn't moving.
    Cast Aura Flash on Har, heals 5.
    Blind attack against Caster (beat 2)

    Blind Caster:
    1d10 7 [1d10=7]

  • AustinP0027AustinP0027 Registered User regular
    As usual, I keep forgetting to tag @joshgotro for next

  • joshgotrojoshgotro Queen CityRegistered User regular
    edited August 7
    @Xagar Aub moves to [B, 3] and uses Measured Strike.
    Geth roll 1d10 for violence.

    violence:
    1d10 3 [1d10=3]

    joshgotro on
  • XagarXagar Registered User regular
    edited August 7
    Another of Aub's strikes is blocked, and the man heaves a sigh of relief. This lasts for about a half second as he catches a hoof to the head, blood splattering over leaves as he spins and plants into the dirt face-first.

    The last remaining man, a bit skinnier than the rest, swears loudly, his eyes shifting between the corpses of his fellows and the crazy woman next to him, and makes a run for it to C10.

    At the end of the round, #2's spirit fades...

    In the few seconds after she finished the fruit, the singer had become more and more limp, her eyes going dull and her mouth hanging open slightly. Har, point-blank, can see the singer's spirit fade, it seeming to recede inwards, through her skin. There is only a lump of meat in kneeling in front of Har, with a jarring black spike through its forehead.

    There is a terribly loud noise of splintering bone as the robed figure breaks in half at the midsection, and a thick, head-sized something bursts out, curving around like a thick, black cat's tail. Only for a moment can Har see two beady black eyes and a wide maw with rows of sharp, metallic teeth as it bends farther, pulling more limbs and a compact body out of the reeking mess.

    It begins to eat. More and more black limbs extrude from the woman's body, until it stands fully over what spawned it, ending in a form that is vaguely humanoid, but with every limb too long and too thick, every inch covered in wet, black bristles. It still eats during the entire process, its head curving beneath its body and making a loud crunching noise as it sucks up every last bit of gore. What came out is significantly larger than where it came from; it would stand almost seven feet tall if it stood instead of hunching.

    As it finishes the last bloody scrap of cloth, the head bends backwards, and two eyes fix on Har. It makes a kind of rumbling noise, that intensifies into piercing screech, and its body flips around to face her, its eyes never leaving hers.

    Xagar on
    joshgotro
  • XagarXagar Registered User regular
    Top of round 5...
    txoq8frrjxub.png
    @discrider Har's turn!

  • XagarXagar Registered User regular
    By the by, I am so ready to have Colonel level up if he gets any more kills or combat experience.

  • AustinP0027AustinP0027 Registered User regular
    Make sure he takes the Noble Steed prestige class. Victor would like to ride in style.

  • joshgotrojoshgotro Queen CityRegistered User regular
    edited August 7
    @Xagar Do I get Shoulder Ram if I'm on top of a horse? I'll dive off Colonel into it if need be.

    joshgotro on
  • XagarXagar Registered User regular
    edited August 7
    @joshgotro If you dismount with it, yeah. Not 100% sure I understand what you want to do, but it sounds like you want to give a horse a move that lets it push people around which sounds sufficiently awesome to me.

    I got like a half-baked animal companion system up in my head so go ham with it basically.
    Mounts: If another character may be used as a mount, you may end your move on their tile to mount them, attaching you to the mount. While mounted, the mount is always directly before you in the timeline. You may not move normally while mounted, but may dismount on your turn then immediately move. Single-target effects on your tile may target either you or the mount. Area effects target both. If you or your mount are defeated, you immediately dismount to an adjacent tile.

    Xagar on
  • joshgotrojoshgotro Queen CityRegistered User regular
    edited August 7
    Xagar wrote: »
    @joshgotro If you dismount with it, yeah. Not 100% sure I understand what you want to do, but it sounds like you want to give a horse a move that lets it push people around which sounds sufficiently awesome to me.

    @Xagar Ride Colonel to X. Use Shoulder Ram to displace X. Or just have Colonel run it down.

    Edit: In my mind, it's much cooler diving from a horse with shield up into X. I want to be efficient getting back into the fight.

    joshgotro on
  • XagarXagar Registered User regular
    edited August 7
    @joshgotro Ahh, well you'd need to spend your action to unhook Colonel, and your move to mount him. Since mounts go before their riders you wouldn't be able to do that this turn. It's pretty much a wash, but you have no idea what the Rampager's stats are so you might wanna do it anyway.

    Xagar on
    joshgotro
  • AustinP0027AustinP0027 Registered User regular
    Seems like Colonel is our second best fighter at the moment anyways so may make sense to have him in the Rampager fight ;)

    Xagar
  • discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    @Xagar Geth roll 1d10+2 for that Spirit check

    Steam Community page: http://steamcommunity.com/id/discrider/
    Oh hey! A knife!
  • discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    Geth roll 1d10+2 for spirit

    spirit:
    1d10+2 10 [1d10=8]

    Steam Community page: http://steamcommunity.com/id/discrider/
    Oh hey! A knife!
  • XagarXagar Registered User regular
    The impression you got from watching the process up close was confirmed - something ate this woman's spirit from the inside. You were able to determine that the fruit was some sort of catalyst to the process, which was not altogether unlike alchemy, or possibly shifter or abyssal magic.

    The odd wavering impression from the fruit and this creature is something totally alien to you. If the Tides of this world run in a line, they would run perpendicular to it.

  • discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    edited August 7
    "Guys! This ones a mite bigger!", Har shouts, unnerved.
    Shifting around to D6, Har leans into her aetheric attack, trying to clear the thorn in the world's side.
    Geth roll 2#1d10 for reflex, purging

    @Xagar

    Wow, we're not doing well with the status cleansing.

    reflex, purging:
    2#1d10 2 # 3 [1d10=3] 2 [1d10=2]

    discrider on
    Steam Community page: http://steamcommunity.com/id/discrider/
    Oh hey! A knife!
  • XagarXagar Registered User regular
    edited August 7
    Aw man that would have hit SO hard...

    It hardly seems to react at all to your attack, but it moves in and attempts to DO A BITE.
    Geth, roll 2#1d10 for attack, effect

    Har fends off the bite and counters, but is raked by the bristles, which are sharp and stiff. The strike would certainly have left deep gashes (burn) if Victor hadn't covered her with a Veil. Har takes 5 damage, and deals 4 damage to the Rampager. Victor takes 3 damage.

    @AustinP0027 Victor's turn!

    attack, effect:
    2#1d10 2 # 7 [1d10=7] 7 [1d10=7]

    Xagar on
  • XagarXagar Registered User regular
    Spooky monstrosity battle theme:

    discriderjoshgotro
  • AustinP0027AustinP0027 Registered User regular
    "Aub, let's go!" Victor yells as he tears off towards Har. The two of them both needed healing, so he took the moment to deliver an area of healing amongst them, careful to aim it away from the creature they faced.

    Once done, however, he took a step back. He didn't want to become a target for the beast, content to let Aub and Har go toe to toe with it.
    Move down to E6 (using Movement skill Reposition) using up 2 of my speed.
    Cast Waters of Life on Har (I'm assuming here that I get to aim it, so the 2x2 will be E6/E7:F6/F7.
    Har is lowest, so Har gets 5 healing. I get 3 healing.

    I still have 1 movement left due to Reposition, so at end of round I'll be moving 1 to F6.
    @joshgotro

  • joshgotrojoshgotro Queen CityRegistered User regular
    edited August 8
    @Xagar Aub moves to D4 and Foused Defense to the south.
    Aub moves to D5 with cover, swaps spaces with Victor, and swings wild with my sword at the abomination.
    Geth roll 1d10 for great violence.
    Focused Defense to the south.


    Aub moves to C6 with Cover, switches places with Har, and swings wild with my sword at the abomination.
    Geth roll 1d10 for great violence.
    Focused Defense to the south.

    Edit: this round of combat brought to you exclusively by @discrider!

    great violence:
    1d10 10 [1d10=10]

    joshgotro on
  • discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    edited August 8
    joshgotro wrote: »
    @Xagar Aub moves to D4 and Foused Defense to the south.
    You can move another space there @joshgotro
    I missed the reposition happening at end of round though?
    Still unsure if you shouldn't barge past anyway

    (We are in Yammer and I'm helping people do what they said they wanted to do <_<)

    discrider on
    Steam Community page: http://steamcommunity.com/id/discrider/
    Oh hey! A knife!
  • XagarXagar Registered User regular
    @AustinP0027 Reposition lets you split up your movement immediately in addition to letting you keep it for the end of the round. Also, you can aim areas that say "starting on" however you want, so you could have just moved to F6 and used it on E6:F7, starting on any of E5, E6, or F5.

    The skinny bandit glances once over his shoulder as he runs for the road, and you hear a fading scream as he makes for the pass.
    Geth, roll 1d10 for Speed check - how far did #4 get?

    At the end of the round, the last remaining bandit dies.
    The creature hunches over, its head twisting to look at the three nearby, and lets out another high-pitched growling yelp. As it does, electricity crackles in its fur and a concussive wave explodes outwards, engulfing the party, blowing away the brush, and lighting the nearby trees on fire.

    The Rampager uses its support skill Purge, sacrificing health to remove effects on itself, and dealing damage for each in a 2x2 ring around it. Har and Victor take 4 damage, and Aub takes zero, reacting with a Counter for 6 damage.

    The creature looks seriously injured, and also seriously angry.

    Speed check - how far did #4 get?:
    1d10 4 [1d10=4]

    joshgotro
  • XagarXagar Registered User regular
    edited August 8
    Geth, roll 1d10 for Purge attack roll because I can actually beat Aub's Reflex.

    Purge attack roll for I can actually beat Aub's Reflex:
    1d10 1 [1d10=1]

    Xagar on
  • XagarXagar Registered User regular
    Top of Round 6.
    juzjlzee77vn.png
    @discrider Har's turn!

  • discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    Har coughs a bit at C7, having just hit the beast for 4.
    Perhaps Lunging at an exploding whatever this is wasn't the smartest move.
    (I think this is the counter @Xagar is mentioning coming from Aub?)

    Quickly recovering, Har races her skip straight under this thing's bluffs.
    Reappearing in E7, Har takes the momentary distraction to hit the beast hard

    Geth roll 1d10 for Execute or 'Piercing' Thrust

    (Unsure if this is the same target as that geomancer or not. Doing 10 d if so with Piercing Crushing Thrust, doing 8 if not)

    Execute or 'Piercing' Thrust:
    1d10 10 [1d10=10]

    Steam Community page: http://steamcommunity.com/id/discrider/
    Oh hey! A knife!
    joshgotro
  • XagarXagar Registered User regular
    edited August 8
    @discrider The Purge happened at the end of the round, and you had already reacted earlier that round. I'll say this counts as the same target for duelist purposes, so you deal a massive crushing blow, causing it to leak copious amounts of red blood.

    It is still alive, however, and once again swipes at the two in front of it.
    Geth, roll 2#1d10 for attack, burn

    Har takes the worst of it, being savaged for 10 damage before striking it one more time, finally knocking it to the ground. Aub, ready as ever, blocks the creature's frenzied swipes.

    The creature leaves no spirit in the aether, it simply dies, oozing blood. The fire still burns in three trees nearby.

    attack, burn:
    2#1d10 2 # 9 [1d10=9] 9 [1d10=9]

    Xagar on
  • discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    edited August 8
    Har hits it again for good measure, after dodging the dying beast's claws entirely.

    discrider on
    Steam Community page: http://steamcommunity.com/id/discrider/
    Oh hey! A knife!
  • XagarXagar Registered User regular
    edited August 8
    The battle is over. Everybody gets 1 level and 10 experience, +5 bonus experience for completing the battle quickly and pulling off some nice tactical moves. I would like to point out that Aub took zero damage the entire fight #justknightthings.

    Since I would like you guys to be able to try out new skills, the rules for that will be as follows: When you rest, you may spend the appropriate amount of experience to unlock one skill, discipline, or axis. You can spend your level immediately.

    Also, you might want to do something about that fire. There are also two bodies you might be able to loot, and the corpse of a monstrosity.

    Xagar on
  • XagarXagar Registered User regular
    Man I keep forgetting about that secondary effect of Duelist's Finesse.

  • AustinP0027AustinP0027 Registered User regular
    edited August 8
    Xagar wrote: »
    When you rest, you may unlock one skill, discipline, or axis.

    Per rest, or one time after this battle? I'm starting to get some serious character progression thoughts around Necro discipline, so wondering how long till I'd be able to grab an actual skill under it.

    Edit: Also, just a general mechanics question, any chance the fire can be "cleansed"? Otherwise, I'm getting some dirt in my hands and walking back and forth repeatedly :)

    AustinP0027 on
  • XagarXagar Registered User regular
    edited August 8
    @AustinP0027 Per rest, you can unlock one thing from the section at the bottom of your sheet, if you have the experience. And "rest" a la D&D long rest - when you finish a battle you go back to full Health. So two rests before you have a necromancer skill.

    You can definitely deal with one tree quickly enough with your magic, presumably the one closest to the cart, but that still leaves two.

    Xagar on
Sign In or Register to comment.