Club PA 2.0 has arrived! If you'd like to access some extra PA content and help support the forums, check it out at patreon.com/ClubPA
The image size limit has been raised to 1mb! Anything larger than that should be linked to. This is a HARD limit, please do not abuse it.
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

[pbp]Hunger of the Beast[ToA]

1568101117

Posts

  • discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    Har tilts her head, "Waning Moon? Yeah, y'd be out of the same port I am!
    Name's Har Black; my Pa runs the smith in Sunset Cove?
    We see a fair few of your folk through us, as y' might have guessed"

    Har motions a thumb at where she'd been standing before.
    "Sand-slipping? Seems t'be a bit different for me than how you all talk about it"
    Geth roll 2d10k1 for familiarity with home port

    familiarity with home port:
    2d10k1 7 [2d10k1=[7], 2]

    Steam Community page: http://steamcommunity.com/id/discrider/
    Oh hey! A knife!
  • XagarXagar Registered User regular
    edited August 2018
    "Hmm," the woman says with interest, and pauses. "I've only been there once. It is filled with...criminals. Scum." Her shadow sheathes its imaginary blade and returns to its rightful place behind her. "But you are here, risen above them, or out of them. The mirages-" her eyes flick to where the shadow was, "slipping, yes, it is a good word. Position is slippery, and can be made more so."

    "Now then, shall we rid the world of one more piece of scum? Or are you here to take? Maybe you are a small piece, floating around a bigger one." A heavy pause. "And maybe you are worth something yourself."

    From stories brought up from the desert far to the south on your home continent, you think this is an assassin of the Crescent Moon, a vigilante, apolitical order dedicated to removing things deemed too dangerous to exist. The Crescent Moon is infamous for never explaining its targets and how it chooses them, but they tend to be people who abuse power of some sort: political, legal, monetary, mystic. They also have been known to engage in force on the rare occasion of a dragon awakening near their fortress. You've heard more than one tall tale or empty threat featuring the Waning Moon - a death mark, placed on a specific person.

    Xagar on
  • discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    edited August 2018
    "It's not so bad. My Pa would say 'Everyone needs nails', n mos' people there were just getting by. Gettin' by by selling to pirates but."
    Har glances up, as Aub's raised voice floats across the room.
    "... 's safe and stable job, but not that much change, nor 'ny change for the better.
    'nyway, happy to have you on board. Looks like the rest of my mates are gettin themselves kicked out.
    If you'd like to join us outside?
    We're headed sou'east to see to some sheep then to see if we can' deal with some raiders.
    Not sure where you're headed?"

    Har heads for the door, tapping Hans on the shoulder on the way out.
    And.. Victor's wandered off.
    "Looks like we needed a shepherd earlier..."

    discrider on
    Steam Community page: http://steamcommunity.com/id/discrider/
    Oh hey! A knife!
  • XagarXagar Registered User regular
    edited August 2018
    Nasim makes a tiny shrug and rises to her feet, shouldering a small pack. "The bandits are connected to the cultists, so that will work. I'll follow your lead."

    Hans, a wiry, middle-aged man with a face lined by worry, makes apologetic noises as he extricates himself from the rest of his family. "We're leaving already?" He looks over at Aub and the trader. "Ah." He drags his own pack out from under the table, followed by a bow. "Listen, I want to thank you for agreeing to help. Father can be difficult when things don't go his way, and getting him to understand what we can and can't do," he shakes his head, "it's not easy. Anyway, my bet is Abby and the flock are still close by the farm, maybe by a pond to the south we visit sometimes. I can guide us right there, or we can start tracking 'em at the farm itself."

    Xagar on
  • discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    Har stands hands on hips wondering how she should track Victor.
    "We'll be needing to go to y' farm second anyway, if we're to track the bandits what attacked it.
    So we'd probably be best headed to the pond first and then back.
    Makes sure y' don't get raided on the return neither."

    Steam Community page: http://steamcommunity.com/id/discrider/
    Oh hey! A knife!
  • AustinP0027AustinP0027 Registered User regular
    Let me know the point when I can wander back after healing.

  • XagarXagar Registered User regular
    edited August 2018
    It's only been a few minutes at this point. If the others leave it won't be too hard to get directed to the church. Victor isn't exactly subtle, a blonde 6'2" god amongst men and all.

    I also like how chill Har is, and how no-chill Aub is. This is fun!

    Xagar on
    AustinP0027discrider
  • joshgotrojoshgotro Queen CityRegistered User regular
    Xagar wrote: »
    The trader becomes more serious and says to Aub shortly "Maurice. If my interest was with the duke, that might have had some impact, but it is not. Now, off you go." He turns his chair back with another scrape, speaking to the guard whose own chair is mostly out: "Ensure she remains as such."
    "Thank you Maurice. I would hope Wainwright is found."
    Aub slowly moves her hand to the hilt of her sword, while keeping eye contact with the single guard. Quicker the she thought possible, her hand flexed, she draws the blade an inch out and winks at the guard."I'll be seeing you later."
    Aub motions to Har and notices the new entourage she's accumulated.
    "Willing conscripts?

  • XagarXagar Registered User regular
    Maurice's guard scowls and flips you off.

  • discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    edited August 2018
    "I don't expect Hans here will be gettin into any fighting. 'nless his sheep give him trouble.
    Nasim has offered a hand or two though, while her travel maps with our own."

    Har turns to the recruits,
    "This here is Aub, and Victor should be.. he said he was going looking for that James fellow. At the church?"
    ".. seems like he'll ave been roped into healin everyone he can lay his hands on.
    I'm guessin we won't be leaving 'til after lunch.
    Meet back here or inside at about 1?"

    Har smiles,
    "If we're stuck here for a while, I sorta fancy seeing what a drake is, if anyone wants to tag along."

    discrider on
    Steam Community page: http://steamcommunity.com/id/discrider/
    Oh hey! A knife!
  • XagarXagar Registered User regular
    Apropos of nothing, below is my mental image of Victor. I don't quite have one of Har yet, and it would be nice to have one!

    8zxm5pf7uqpx.png

    AustinP0027
  • joshgotrojoshgotro Queen CityRegistered User regular
    edited August 2018
    Aub nods to Nasim, "Happy to have another set of hands. Has Har explained the coming journey?"

    @Xagar once we're back together with Victor, Aub is ready to run some bandits down, unless I can get a drake companion.

    Geth roll 1d10 for fire lizard best friend.

    fire lizard best friend:
    1d10 7 [1d10=7]

    joshgotro on
  • XagarXagar Registered User regular
    edited August 2018
    @joshgotro The drakes are lizards, kind of like devolved dragons. The ones here are the red type you saw the Steward carrying around, which are used for heating in the area. They're too afraid of losing something they may need for the coming winter to sell a big one at the moment (with that roll), but you can buy a young one as a pet for 25 gold. It has a small temperature-control aura around it that keeps things nice and toasty regardless of weather (its tile and adjacent tiles).

    They look kinda like the below, but less fat and spiky and more red.
    om7ddgt5x2qn.jpeg

    Xagar on
  • joshgotrojoshgotro Queen CityRegistered User regular
    edited August 2018
    lxufgegoxz1r.jpg

    joshgotro on
    Xagar
  • XagarXagar Registered User regular
    I should also mention from a mechanical perspective, you can pick 1 companion to take with you into battle. Both Hans and Nasim are combat trained, or you could take one of the horses.

    discrider
  • joshgotrojoshgotro Queen CityRegistered User regular
    @Xagar

    Is combat on top of a horse written somewhere? Would a movement card like Cover be negated while on top of a horse?

  • AustinP0027AustinP0027 Registered User regular
    Based on the last battle, I'm taking Colonel as my companion. Not to ride. He's going to be my personal bodyguard and just hoof the crap out of anyone who gets nearby.

    joshgotro
  • XagarXagar Registered User regular
    edited August 2018
    @joshgotro Mounts: If another character may be used as a mount, you may end your move on their tile to mount them, attaching you to them. While mounted, the mount is always directly before you in the timeline; it returns to its original place in the timeline when you dismount. You may not move normally or use movement skills while mounted, but may dismount on your turn; doing so does not cost your action or move. Single-target effects on your tile may target either you or the mount. Area effects target both. If you or your mount are defeated, you immediately dismount to an adjacent tile.

    Colonel only does 2 damage, it's just that guy only had 2 Heallth left...

    EDIT: Also, you can start battles mounted. Also, if one of the other gets displaced away from each other, you dismount.

    Xagar on
  • AustinP0027AustinP0027 Registered User regular
    Xagar wrote: »
    Colonel only does 2 damage, it's just that guy only had 2 Heallth left...

    Yeah, because Colonel beat the crap out of him previous rounds as well. Go Team Horse!

  • XagarXagar Registered User regular
    There is a short montage of Aub buying a little lizard (who will need a name) and Colonel, Bitsy, and Victor being unhooked from various things, regrouping at the eastern edge of town. Hans has brought his own horse, and leads the party out onto a packed earth road, saying "It's only a few hours out. We should be able to get to the pond with a good amount of light left today.".

    Nasim swings her pack into the cart and says "I'll be nearby." as she steps a few paces away from the group. For a moment, she blurs, like a pane of clouded glass had been brought over her, the grey of her cloak running into the green of the grass behind her, turning into a smaller, darker blob. There is a quiet popping noise, and a raven sits where the small woman was a moment ago. The raven caws once and flies off.

    There is a short pause. Hans stares at the raven as it flies, looks back at the ground, and then back up. "Huh." Another pause. "Well, guess we should look out for her later." He then navigates the party onwards...

    Geth, roll 2d10k1 for local guide navigation

    local guide navigation:
    2d10k1 2 [2d10k1=[2], 1]

  • XagarXagar Registered User regular
    Geth, roll 1d10 for Ini check (can Nasim rescue this trash fire)

    Ini check (can Nasim rescue this trash fire):
    1d10 10 [1d10=10]

  • XagarXagar Registered User regular
    edited August 2018
    After being "guided" into the third dead end, you think you know why the old man in the inn was so down on his son. After a long mid-afternoon stop that involved much poring over a map, Nasim returns in person with another blur, talks to Hans quietly with the map for a few minutes, and again flies off, this time circling closer, always staying in sight of the group.

    Soon after, you break off the fields, finding a small gap in the sharp hills that would be difficult to see from below. You do arrive at the pond around the time you originally should have. You can see Hans was correct - there are signs of a good number of creatures that have passed this way recently. Now you just need to pick the right tracks to follow to catch up before nightfall...

    Everybody make an Ini check to see what you can see! @joshgotro @AustinP0027 @discrider

    Geth, roll 1d10 for Nasim perception
    Geth, roll 1d10+2 for Hans perception
    I want everybody to know that trash fire check was DC 10.

    Also, if you can find the right inanimate object to do some wake-reading on, Har can make a Spirit check try to pick up past events - since it's so recent you might pick up something especially good!

    EDIT: NPCs what are you doing we're tying to save some sheep here what is wrong with you

    Nasim perception:
    1d10 2 [1d10=2]
    Hans perception:
    1d10+2 3 [1d10=1]

    Xagar on
  • joshgotrojoshgotro Queen CityRegistered User regular
    Geth roll 1d10 for these eyes

    these eyes:
    1d10 2 [1d10=2]

  • AustinP0027AustinP0027 Registered User regular
    edited August 2018
    Geth roll 1d10+1 for cry every night for you

    Edit:
    Comb+the+desert+_ab2b19065f85c43a4d3163dbb48dbc57.png

    cry every night for you:
    1d10+1 3 [1d10=2]

    AustinP0027 on
    discrider
  • discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    ...

    Geth roll 1d10+4 for Why is everyone looking at the cart tracks?

    Why is everyone looking at the cart tracks?:
    1d10+4 14 [1d10=10]

    Steam Community page: http://steamcommunity.com/id/discrider/
    Oh hey! A knife!
    XagarAustinP0027
  • XagarXagar Registered User regular
    While the others disperse, searching the matted grass near the pond, Har climbs to the top of a nearby hill, surveying the whole area. To the west where they came is a series of hills and sparse trees; to the south is a small stream that leads from the pond; to the east are rockier hills; to the north the hills rapidly drop off into a gentle plain. Her eyes sweep over the plain, and far off, she can see specks of white moving. Once she sees them, it's easy to pick them out: a larger white form is in the lead, the others crowding around it.

    There is also a second moving object in the distance: a large, darker shape, pointed towards the lost flock.

    You think you should be able to reach the flock's position by twilight, and easily pick up their trail if they have moved. When you close in, you'll need to choose whether you are going to approach stealthily or try to reach the flock as quickly as possible.

  • discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    Are we likely to arrive before the dark shape?

    Steam Community page: http://steamcommunity.com/id/discrider/
    Oh hey! A knife!
  • XagarXagar Registered User regular
    edited August 2018
    @discrider It's between you and the flock and close to it, so no.

    Xagar on
  • discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    Har returns to the others, who are helping?
    "Don't know if there's anything down here, but looks like there's a flock of something to the north.
    Probably your sheep, Hans, if'n Abby's the big one.
    There also seems to be another group of somethin' tailin' them.
    Can't tell what, can only make out specks of colour.
    Darker specks those ones though.
    Don't suppose there's any wild beasts out here we should be watchin' for, Hans?"

    Steam Community page: http://steamcommunity.com/id/discrider/
    Oh hey! A knife!
  • XagarXagar Registered User regular
    "Wolves." He looks worried. "If there's a wolf willing to chase down the flock when Abby's there with it, it's either rabid or as big as she is. We gotta get going."

    Nasim steps away from the group once again, chanting a spell under her breath. She seems satisfied after about a minute, and then shifts and flies off towards the north.

    Geth, roll 2d10k1 for stealth birb
    Geth, roll 1d10 for perceptiones

    stealth birb:
    2d10k1 7 [2d10k1=[7], 1]
    perceptiones:
    1d10 2 [1d10=2]

  • joshgotrojoshgotro Queen CityRegistered User regular
    edited August 2018
    Aub quickly glances between the terrain and Har. The metal covered wheels clank and rattle, Aub feels the gleeful energy reach back into her depths.

    "What are we doing!? Should I make the most of these horse?"

    joshgotro on
  • AustinP0027AustinP0027 Registered User regular
    edited August 2018
    "If we don't catch up..." Victor let's his words drop, knowing Har and Aub would be able to understand what he is hinting at.

    AustinP0027 on
  • discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    Har nods, fossicking around in the supplies and handing Aub a water satchel.
    "Aye, best to make 'aste. Don't sit too long in the sun though Aub. We ain't much use as cured beef"

    Steam Community page: http://steamcommunity.com/id/discrider/
    Oh hey! A knife!
  • discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    Geth roll 1d10+4 for Best keep an eye out too

    Best keep an eye out too:
    1d10+4 10 [1d10=6]

    Steam Community page: http://steamcommunity.com/id/discrider/
    Oh hey! A knife!
  • joshgotrojoshgotro Queen CityRegistered User regular
    Aub screams, "Everyone brace yourselves!", and turns Colonel and Bitsy loose*.

    * Indicating that she's riding the horses for all their speed.

    @Xagar Do I need to roll here?

  • discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    edited August 2018
    Geth roll 2d10k1 for Lashing yaself to the mast
    Or in plain speak, getting ready for some rough ridin/sailin

    Lashing yaself to the mast:
    2d10k1 9 [2d10k1=[9], 1]

    discrider on
    Steam Community page: http://steamcommunity.com/id/discrider/
    Oh hey! A knife!
  • XagarXagar Registered User regular
    @joshgotro @discrider @AustinP0027 Sure, everyone who hasn't already make me a background check with advantage for horseys and an Initiative check for seeing stuff when you arrive.

    Hans will let someone borrow his horse, as well.
    Sorry about the slower update, I'm home sick. Kind of ironic that I have less time than at work but there you go.

  • joshgotrojoshgotro Queen CityRegistered User regular
    edited August 2018
    Geth roll 2d10k1 for pushing these horses to 11.

    Geth roll 1d10 for where them sheep.

    Edit: shit

    pushing these horses to 11:
    2d10k1 6 [2d10k1=[6], 5]
    where them sheep:
    1d10 5 [1d10=5]

    joshgotro on
  • AustinP0027AustinP0027 Registered User regular
    Geth roll 2d10k1 for Go Team Horse!

    Geth roll 1d10+1 for I spy with my little eye...

    Go Team Horse!:
    2d10k1 7 [2d10k1=[7], 7]
    I spy with my little eye:
    1d10+1 8 [1d10=7]

  • XagarXagar Registered User regular
    edited August 2018
    As you gallop forwards, the shapes become clear. Hans was right - a wolf with dark fur is chasing the flock, a giant one at that. Matching it in size is a giant sheep surrounded by a mass of others, who must be Abby. You are able to close relatively quickly, as the wolf is herding the sheep north along the plain. This much restraint seems odd until you see there is a man on the back of the wolf, riding a makeshift saddle and wearing similarly dark leathers.

    You are able to get quite close before he notices you, jumping a bit in his seat, then drawing a sword and shield. He opens his mouth, but what comes out is not words but a short howl. The enormous wolf immediately stops terrorizing the sheep and turns to face you, snarling. The man yells out something unintelligible and charges you!

    From your pre-battle Ini checks: Both the wolf and the man have something of that otherworldly shuddering about them. The man has 20 Health. The wolf has over 50 Health.

    Everyone post your loadouts!

    Aub has a level to spend, unless she's saving for Speed.

    Which companion are you taking, Nasim or Colonel? If it's Colonel, who's riding him?

    Xagar on
1568101117
Sign In or Register to comment.