As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Easily activate/deactivate Win10 peripherals?

ThirithThirith Registered User regular
edited July 2018 in Help / Advice Forum
I've got a fair few devices plugged into my PC, from gamepads via eye/head trackers to rudder pedals. However, some games get confused especially by those kind of exotic controllers; there are some games where, if the rudders are plugged in, the game thinks they're the main controller, or at least they interfere with the main input.

I know how to deactivate devices via the Device Manager and I could always just unplug and replug them, but I don't always want to crawl under the table to do this. I'm wondering: is there some kind of handy program that makes this easier/quicker? Something that can load up at launch, doesn't have a large CPU footprint, and I can use it to quickly deactivate and reactivate devices, possibly with a number of different profiles?

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
"Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
Thirith on

• Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    edited July 2018
    Thirith wrote: »
    I've got a fair few devices plugged into my PC, from gamepads via eye/head trackers to rudder pedals. However, some games get confused especially by those kind of exotic controllers; there are some games where, if the rudders are plugged in, the game thinks they're the main controller, or at least they interfere with the main input.

I know how to deactivate devices via the Device Manager and I could always just unplug and replug them, but I don't always want to crawl under the table to do this. I'm wondering: is there some kind of handy program that makes this easier/quicker? Something that can load up at launch, doesn't have a large CPU footprint, and I can use it to quickly deactivate and reactivate devices, possibly with a number of different profiles?

I use USBDeview though I wish Windows handled it more cleanly, natively.

EDIT: And, I should say, I use it exactly for the reason you mention - games taking the rudder pedals input as a constant down-right control input and being unwilling to climb under my desk. :D

Elvenshae on
  • Options
    Thanks, I'll give that one a try. Anything I need to watch out for running it, or is it all pretty self-explanatory?

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
  • Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    Thirith wrote: »
    Thanks, I'll give that one a try. Anything I need to watch out for running it, or is it all pretty self-explanatory?

Really self-explanatory.

You just highlight the items which are causing issues, click the red button to "Stop!" them, and then turn them back on (with green button) when you're done running whatever program. I find it works best if you turn them off before you launch a particular program.

In my case, I have to turn off the rudder pedals and the throttle.

• Options
    Cool, thanks!

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg