As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Amazon workers are still striking transnationally I think

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    I have someone asking me if it still counts as supporting the strike if they use pre-existing Amazon credit.

I want to say no but not sure. Technically Amazon's not getting money from it still? But on the other hand it'd probably be against the spirit of the strike.

• Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    Madican wrote: »
    I have someone asking me if it still counts as supporting the strike if they use pre-existing Amazon credit.

I want to say no but not sure. Technically Amazon's not getting money from it still? But on the other hand it'd probably be against the spirit of the strike.

Yeah it's still a sale, and that matters.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    MalReynoldsMalReynolds The Hunter S Thompson of incredibly mild medicines Registered User regular
    edited July 2018
    Madican wrote: »

Yeah it's still a sale, and that matters.

That, plus it means the labor hours that are being undervalued are still being used by Amazon.

Everything from advertising to logistics to page views nets the company money that isn't going to the workers and it disincentivizes change, be it pay or improved working conditions, because people are still proving the service has value over the wellbeing of the worker during the strike.

MalReynolds on
    "A new take on the epic fantasy genre... Darkly comic, relatable characters... twisted storyline."
    "Readers who prefer tension and romance, Maledictions: The Offering, delivers... As serious YA fiction, I’ll give it five stars out of five. As a novel? Four and a half." - Liz Ellor
    My new novel: Maledictions: The Offering. Now in Paperback!
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Really I support the ideal the workers are going for as I deal with the same shit on a different level
    But sale wise there is nothing I really want from it

• Options
    Yeah I feel kind of bad even using my credit card because it's an Amazon card, but that part is kind of unavoidable for me.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    So apparently there were some reports that Amazon's website was buggy/crashy as fuck yesterday. I wouldn't know cuz I wasn't on it, but, yeah.

Mission Accomplished?

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    supposedly because the site got overloaded? it's very believable

either way, GOOD, I HOPE YOUR SITE CHOKES JEFF BEZOS

Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
  • Options
    Yeah anyone using AWS had some level of issue yesterday because of traffic.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    Tox wrote: »
    So apparently there were some reports that Amazon's website was buggy/crashy as fuck yesterday. I wouldn't know cuz I wasn't on it, but, yeah.

Mission Accomplished?

Nope:

06lrzj444s1o.png

http://fortune.com/2018/07/17/amazon-prime-day-sales-website-crashes-worker-strikes/

• Options
    RanlinRanlin Oh gosh Registered User regular
    Man, way to fuck this one up too, humanity.

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    Frankly if you aren't Very Online you probably never heard about this. This was not particularly reported on.

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    furlionfurlion Riskbreaker Lea MondeRegistered User regular
    Frankly if you aren't Very Online you probably never heard about this. This was not particularly reported on.

I saw it mentioned literally no where else but here.

sig.gif Gamertag: KL Retribution
    PSN:Furlion
  • Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    edited July 2018
    Yeah, I mentioned it to my parents after the fact and they hadn't heard of it (big TV watchers, not very Internet-savvy).

They ended up coincidentally not buying anything anyway, but my Dad was all geared up to boycott Amazon.

Sorce on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    edited July 2018
    I own exactly the one Amazon device and only shop there very rarely anyway.

sometimes I get an audible book or kindle book or something when I do but that's it.

I don't understand people's obsession with prime and stuff. like I just don't shop enough to make it a good value. but then I don't have a ton of income to spend.

Tallahasseeriel on
  • Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular

yeah a very loosely organized online boycott, to support one group of foreign workers, was very likely gonna fail

it also didn't help that the only real consequences of crossing a virtual picket line is maybe feeling a little guilty? but nobody but you is ever going to know about it

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    Brolo wrote: »

yeah a very loosely organized online boycott, to support one group of foreign workers, was very likely gonna fail

it also didn't help that the only real consequences of crossing a virtual picket line is maybe feeling a little guilty? but nobody but you is ever going to know about it

Amazon is also so big that it's very easy to talk yourself into the futility of the action

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular
    Jeff Bezos was just determined to be the richest person in modern history according to the Bloomberg billionaire index.

What a shit.

• Options
    CelloCello Registered User regular

I only found out about it like two days ago

And even then I didn't realize it was a transnational strike, I thought it was just workers in Spain

An effort like this could succeed but would need waaaaaay more ramp-up, at least on this side of the planet

Steam
    3DS Friend Code: 0216-0898-6512
    Switch Friend Code: SW-7437-1538-7786
  • Options
    BizazedoBizazedo Registered User regular
    Are there any details as to the miserable wages / salaries / complaints? I read the OP, but quite frankly their statement wasn't detailed as to their actual issues (We make x, min wage is y, poverty line is z or we work x hours a week etc) to make me really get behind it.

XBL: Bizazedo
    PSN: Bizazedo
    CFN: Bizazedo (I don't think I suck, add me).
  • Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    Cool, the assholes cops are assaulting the workers in Spain

https://gizmodo.com/amazon-warehouse-strike-in-spain-reportedly-results-in-1827676740

• Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    ACAB

Miss me? Find me on:

• Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    I need to figure out how to cut ties with Amazon.

That police brutality and the strike and Bezos being declared the richest person in all of human history is too much for me

• Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    My problem is that around here it is pretty much Walmart or Amazon when it comes to a lot of goods.

• Options
    if those are your options, those are your options

while avoiding asshole companies is commendable, 'there's no ethical consumption under capitalism'

you still gotta eat, you still need stuff to maintain a decent living condition with

Miss me? Find me on:

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular

That police brutality and the strike and Bezos being declared the richest person in all of human history is too much for me

Actually people should invest in amazon stock group up and force Bezos out.

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    ReginaldReginald When I am Pres., I will create the Department of ______Registered User regular
    There is ethical consumption in late stage capitalism. It's called buying locally, going without, and supporting local business. I understand not all needs can be met in this way, but the buy local movement shouldn't be discounted.

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Reginald wrote: »
    There is ethical consumption in late stage capitalism. It's called buying locally, going without, and supporting local business. I understand not all needs can be met in this way, but the buy local movement shouldn't be discounted.

Unfortunately, that is out of the reach of affordability for most people.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    edited July 2018

Good plan we'll fix this behemoth of capitalist exploitation by making the most wealthy man on earth as well as all the shitbirds who are complicit and also profiting off so much suffering even richer.

OmnipotentBagel on
    cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    Reginald wrote: »

Yeah but if youre poor ,in a bad location or have a disability Amazon might be a your only option

• Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    also: local businesses also exploit their workers most of the time

• Options
    Also Amazon has been pretty successfully strangling local business. There's a lot of stuff I used to be able to reliably find locally that I can't anymore.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    It is literally impossible to force Bezos out by buying Amazon stock.

• Options
    there's also a lot to be said for where those small businesses get their products and raw materials from

Miss me? Find me on:

• Options
    edited July 2018
    if you ever buy anything made out of plastic, especially toys and electronics, you're contributing to a lot of nasty shit going down in China

the takeaway here shouldn't be "you're bad for wanting things", it should be "CEOs, stockholders, and executives need to be reminded that paying decent wages was the deal they made to avoid the guillotine"

Shorty on
  • Options
    I regularly think about how the major players in causing global climate change could be fit on all of two busses

and I think we should send those buses straight into the ocean

Miss me? Find me on:

• Options
    Doobh wrote: »
    I regularly think about how the major players in causing global climate change could be fit on all of two busses

and I think we should send those buses straight into the ocean

A small pollution to stave off much bigger pollution

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    they'll leave this world in the same way they callously tried to destroy it

Miss me? Find me on:

• Options

Good plan we'll fix this behemoth of capitalist exploitation by making the most wealthy man on earth as well as all the shitbirds who are complicit and also profiting off so much suffering even richer.

Exactly!

• Options
    I'd film the whole thing and ask Philip Glass to score it

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    We have a lot of liability around jokes (or otherwise) that contain violent threats so I would ask people to do those somewhere else please.