As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Amazon workers are still striking transnationally I think

• Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    I cannot fathom being worth 150 billion dollars

you could build like 250 modern sports stadiums outright

• Options
    SleepSleep Registered User regular
    PiptheFair wrote: »

1 billion is basically enough to set 500 people for life. Like if they live conservatively and don't blow all their cash, maybe work a part time gig for beer money... you can stretch 2 million to back like 30 to 40 years of living depending on the region.

He could basically take 75000 people and just make them multi millionaires... then an hour after that... he'd be a multi millionaire again.

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    Thankfully sports stadiums can be built from the public purse instead no there's no money for the schools what a weird question

• Options
    Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular
    edited July 2018
    Sleep wrote: »

1 billion is basically enough to set 500 people for life. Like if they live conservatively and don't blow all their cash, maybe work a part time gig for beer money... you can stretch 2 million to back like 30 to 40 years of living depending on the region.

He could basically take 75000 people and just make them multi millionaires... then an hour after that... he'd be a multi millionaire again.

well it would take longer than that for him to get millions again, as it's not like it's spare cash in his pocket. He'd be giving up his rate of wealth growth along with the wealth. Not to say it wouldn't be a societal net good

Beef Avenger on
    Steam ID
    PSN: Robo_Wizard1
  • Options
    Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    edited July 2018
    I ran the math at some point for like, a lifetime's worth of rent on a penthouse in Manhattan and the cost of a nice wine bottle a day and shit like that and added a bunch of padding to be "safe" and basically, there is no reason a private citizen should ever see more than $40 million pass through their hands in a lifetime. That's an obscenely overbloated number, too. You'll still live improbably well anywhere in the developed world on half or a fifth of that, and you're solidly upper middle class even in expensive places on a tenth of that

Mortal Sky on
  • Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    edited July 2018
    Tube wrote: »
    Thankfully sports stadiums can be built from the public purse instead no there's no money for the schools what a weird question

It's okay, our billion dollars in lottery profits pay the school's 2 million dollar budget. I'm not sure what happens to the other money, but if you hate the lottery you hate children.

TheStig on
    bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options

well it would take longer than that for him to get millions again, as it's not like it's spare cash in his pocket. He'd be giving up his rate of wealth growth along with the wealth. Not to say it wouldn't be a societal net good

How much of the 150 billion is in his stock holdings?

• Options
    Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular
    edited July 2018

Almost all I would imagine. Him "making" millions of dollars per hour is just reflective of amazon stock increasing at such a stupid rate. His actual salary is something like $1.6mil/yr.

edit: this article says his has about 80 million amazon shares. Value of AMZN is $1815/share right now. 80mil * $1815 = $145 bil

Beef Avenger on
    Steam ID
    PSN: Robo_Wizard1
  • Options
    I would honestly maybe find peace with the idea of the mega rich existing if they paid just like, proportionately the same amount of fucking tax that I pay. Just do that, as a compromise, just try it. Just the same percentage of tax that I, some fucking schlub, pay. Please. It's not... you can't say this is unreasonable. This is a big concession on my part. Meet me like 95% of the way here.

• Options

This is a lot of the problem, in a practical sense, with taxing people whose net worth is tied up in assets. I don't know what the solution is, but he's got plenty of fucking other shit to tax so get on it someone.

• Options

Almost all I would imagine. Him "making" millions of dollars per hour is just reflective of amazon stock increasing at such a stupid rate. His actual salary is something like $1.6mil/yr.

Oh fuckin lol amazon stock doesn't pay a dividend...WTF?!

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    edited July 2018
    I would honestly maybe find peace with the idea of the mega rich existing if they paid just like, proportionately the same amount of fucking tax that I pay. Just do that, as a compromise, just try it. Just the same percentage of tax that I, some fucking schlub, pay. Please. It's not... you can't say this is unreasonable. This is a big concession on my part. Meet me like 95% of the way here.

The government would lose its god damned mind with all that influx of cash to spend I bet.

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    edited July 2018
    bowen wrote: »

The government would lose its god damned mind with all that influx of cash to spend I bet.

They'd give $50,000 to education, a million to public works and throw the rest at defense spending, then continue to plead poverty

OmnipotentBagel on
    cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    Maybe we could figure out how to make a plane fly

ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    bowen wrote: »

They'd give $50,000 to education, a million to public works and throw the rest at defense spending, then continue to plead poverty

It's okay though, because DARPA and the DoD and TSA fund a lot of research!

-some actual dumb bullshit people have said to me when I question why we can't take some of our vastly wasteful defense spending (don't even get me fucking started on the F35) and put like, any of it into research.

• Options
    I'd rather like all of the millions go to NASA over the DoD tbh, NASA has brought us the coolest tech.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    HeadCreepsHeadCreeps NOW IS THE TIME FOR DRINKING! Registered User regular

But, Tube, you can't tax the wealthy at the same rate as the lower and middle classes! Why, if the wealthy had to spend more on taxes, that would deter people, such as myself who will surely one day be rich through hard work and my own ingenuity, from striving to become a part of the elite!
    This is an actual argument I've heard

vEaRQgH.png
  • Options
    Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    honestly having worked in a federal science lab recently, the notion that much of our federal money goes to The Sciences in the broad sense is a cruel joke

it mostly goes all to a set of engineering principles with applications mostly focused around directing explosives to places

• Options
    explosives are pretty awesome too though

• Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    edited July 2018
    Maddoc wrote: »
    "You can afford prime so you don't need it" is uncomfortably close to "Poor people shouldn't have nice things if they're actually poor" to me

No I'm talking about poverty lines, where you literally can't afford the more long-term financially-beneficial option because you're living literally paycheck to paycheck and don't have money to set aside for a subscription fee. That's what I mean in there being a privilege in being able to use Amazon Prime.

I understand, and as someone who has spent a not inconsiderable amount of time below the poverty line, a Prime sub has at times caused my bank account to go overdrawn when it hits because it's a not insignificant chunk of change, but it was still worth it because having necessities delivered was largely cheaper than public transportation and also meant I didn't need to carry a twenty pound box of cat litter or a case of water on the bus/train.

People find enough money for the small things that make life easier or at least more bearable, even when they're poor.

Maddoc on
  • Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    So some kind of a flat tax

• Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    Gvzbgul wrote: »

flat tax and the elimination of deductions and loopholes, I suppose

• Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    It's a shame that a flat tax is actually preferable to the current implementation of progressive tax.

• Options
    You could just make a flat tax apply to businesses and people who make over 500k a year.

And also make it higher than average too, like 45-75%.

Everyone else gets hit with a progressive one at much lower values. Also apply the tax to both investment profits and actual income.

• Options
    Gvzbgul wrote: »

No, flat taxes are terrible. I'm saying that I would take a deal where they just pay the equivalent of a middle class tax percentage rather than paying far less. Warren Buffet pays less taxes, proportionately, than his secretary does.

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Flat taxes are fucking bullshit. What needs to happen is that taxes are directly tied to personal wealth, and the richer you are, the higher a percentage you have to pay.

Every millionaire and billionaire who complains that having to pay more taxes (percentage wise) than a janitor who makes $17k/annum isn't fair is automatically fed to hungry sharks.

• Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    My CEO makes like 400k salary and 700k in bonuses. I'm not sure what that does for their taxes, but it's bullshit that the CEO of a largely tax paid for community hospital makes 1.1 million a year.

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    QuantumTurkQuantumTurk Registered User regular
    edited July 2018
    Flat taxes are horrid bullshit and it says a lot that I would JUMP at that at this point. "Fuck you everyone pays 25%" ...and somehow we magically make the rich accurately report their wealth and earnings and not just send it to offshore accounts. Ughhh.
    Driving around the other day and listening to "The Coup" and trying to explain to my partner that "We got the guillotine, you better run!" Was just cathartic...mostly....
    This shit was 2012. Ughhhh.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=acT_PSAZ7BQ

QuantumTurk on
  • Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    One way or another, the rich won't pay that much, yeah

• Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    I don't know how you would stop the rich assholes from using loopholes and off shore accounts and other bullshit tricks to avoid paying taxes on most of their money

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Offshore accounts become illegal. If any are discovered their contents are forfeit.

• Options
    Anon the FelonAnon the Felon In bat country.Registered User regular
    Yeah, I have prime, and I'm going to get rid of it, and just adjust

I've worked at being less materialistic for the past two years, I'm in a position, sort of, where I can pay more for certain things

I'm going to see when my prime renews and not renew this next time

I mostly use it to buy books, and I have too many of those already, I'll see what sort of services the local library can provide

This is beautiful.

• Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    Thanks? Are you sincere, or are you mocking me?

• Options
    QuantumTurkQuantumTurk Registered User regular
    Madican wrote: »
    Offshore accounts become illegal. If any are discovered their contents are forfeit.

A nice idea, but the reality is the us caring to tell Barbados or wherever that a bank there full of money isn't, which then would need to be backed up by arms, cause why the hell would a small island tax haven want to give that up? Not that the US doesn't do terrible things to other nations, we do, but I'd rather not engineer more situations that call for it.

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Thanks? Are you sincere, or are you mocking me?

Please make use of public libraries. They’d love to help!

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    I have great appreciation for Comrade Tube

Jeff Bezos has at least 10,000 times more money than a person should be able to use

• Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    I'm full on the opinion that there's no way in hell anything resembling ethical capitalism can be maintained for long

but, like, there's no reason we shouldn't also try to push it in that direction

Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Madican wrote: »

A nice idea, but the reality is the us caring to tell Barbados or wherever that a bank there full of money isn't, which then would need to be backed up by arms, cause why the hell would a small island tax haven want to give that up? Not that the US doesn't do terrible things to other nations, we do, but I'd rather not engineer more situations that call for it.

Oh, the offshore banks don't have to give the money up, they can keep it. Just like the Swiss and all that nazi gold from WW2.

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Define off-shore accounts :/
    I have bank accounts in four different countries, I'm a citizen of only one and a resident in none. (I pay tax as a non-resident so it's hardly a tax dodge or anything, it's just not worth liquidating the account for a few hundred bucks). I don't know how you easily determine who is and is not entitled to sustain a bank account in a country. Have to live there for six months? Yeah I'm sure changing their mailing address temporarily is gonna be really tough for a bazillionaire.

Seizing my assets ain't gonna buy much more than a few sandwiches, mind you.

• Options
    DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    edited July 2018
    I'm hungry Tynic.

I mean, just sayin'... Those sandwiches are looking awfully nice right now.

DisruptedCapitalist on
    "Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)