As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Star Ocean: Anamnesis] Global Release. Nier Event. 2B (again), 9S, A2.

vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XXRegistered User regular
edited November 2018 in Social Entropy++
eSMlUOV.jpg
Official Site: https://staroceangame.com/

Because maybe, just maybe, there's more Star Ocean fans on this forum besides just two of us.

Star Ocean Anamnesis is Square Enix's next foray into the mobile gacha waifu/husbando collecting space, their first non-Million Arthur and non-Final Fantasy entry into it (that I'm aware, correct me if I'm wrong). What makes this one interesting is that the battle system is real-time and active modeled after the actual Star Ocean games, though slightly simplified for mobile. In other words, it's an actual game that you have to pay attention to when playing.

Trailers:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iDNzIOtV12c
Re-roll Tier stuff cut due to being outdated.

As part of the Launch campaign everyone get's a free Faize and a free 5* Pick of their choice.

Connection IDs/Friend Codes:
VagrantWinds: E6ERAAFG6J
Spectrum: SQ6U3T6UCM
Maddoc: HRA7Q283X3
El Fantastico: R8JGQB42NQ
Transporter: RGGVE6BJCV
AshtonDragon: 6J2NW5SFB4

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
// Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
vagrant_winds on

• Options
    rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    Which C tier JRPG series will be next to get a gatcha?

• Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    rhylith wrote: »

I'm sure Final Fantasy will get more Gatcha games.

• Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    edited July 2018
    This launch setup almost feels like "Yes we know people reroll"

Picked Maria for my freebie, got Faize from the giftbox, bought the 5* ticket from the shop and got Fidel

Feels amazing to not reroll

Maddoc on
  • Options
    SpectrumSpectrum Archer of Inferno Chaldea Rec RoomRegistered User regular
    Maria for my freebie, Anne and Ronyx from my first roll.

Favorite waifus get, oh no I must play : (

XNnw6Gk.jpg
  • Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    I did a bunch of rerolls and gave up some good gameplay ones, including a double Fidel one.

But I settled on a roll with Nel, Anne, and Victor. No Myuria, but it's three SSRs of characters I actually like so I'll take it. Plus the free Maria and Faize.

• Options
    FremFrem Registered User regular
    Interesting! I like Star Ocean and gachas.

The other 3rd person beat-em-up gacha I've been playing is Honkai Impact 3rd, which has a Bayonetta-style dodge-step-into-super-attack move. Going from that system in HI3 to this more vanilla style beat-em-up feels... somewhat unsatisfying. Attacks don't have as much punch to them. But the ratio of gameplay to menus/loading is much more favorable in Star Ocean, so I'll probably keep poking at it.

• Options
    I still haven't actually done any ten rolls

I might just save? I dunno, I got everything I wanted from the freebie and Ace ticket

• Options
    WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    This game was Fine when I played it at launch

Gonna give it another shot

• Options
    I used the gift coin to give Maria her weapon and... it feels like cheating through these normal battles.

I click skills and things die.

• Options
    VagrantWinds: E6ERAAFG6J.

Friend me so I can stop seeing just starter characters on loan by people who never changed that.

• Options
    Maria's gun is weird because it seems WILDLY better than anything else on that list?

Suffice to say, I also grabbed it

• Options
    DaypigeonDaypigeon Registered User regular

mass effect

• Options
    FremFrem Registered User regular
    Daypigeon wrote: »

mass effect

Aww man. Another pull of nothing but 1* Hannar and Volus.

• Options
    BluecyanBluecyan Buzz.. Buzz Buzz? BUZZ! Buzz buzz BuzzRegistered User regular
    Square did a zombie themed gacha game called Deadman's Cross, but anyone that is aware of it, let alone remembers it, is probably a bad person...

ID is A8A2BHJA4P, got a Maria up with her blaster. It is really nice to have a full team at the start. Combat seems like it could be interesting, though everthing dies in a matter of seconds. Joined one multiplayer room with a legit boss, where dodging attacks was a thing, so there is hope.

• Options
    So once I realized 10 draws get you 5 of those tablets, and there is another Ace ticket in the store for 15 tablets

I spent my 10k whatevers, and got a 5* on each draw

Emmerson on the first, Myuria on the second

• Options
    ArtereisArtereis Registered User regular
    I've maintained that Valkyrie Profile is basically the perfect setup for a gacha game. I'm surprised it hasn't gone anywhere.

• Options
    Artereis wrote: »
    I've maintained that Valkyrie Profile is basically the perfect setup for a gacha game. I'm surprised it hasn't gone anywhere.
    I mean one exists, just no one plays it.

XNnw6Gk.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    On the plus side, there's gonna be a Valkyrie Profile event in this game later.

And I still want my Valkyrie Profile 3 dammit. Hrist needs her game. Covenant of the Plume was good, and absolutely soul shattering depressing, but it's not Valkyrie Profile 3.

vagrant_winds on
  • Options
    ArtereisArtereis Registered User regular
    Got Maria, Fidel and Faize on my first roll. Used some stones on weapon pulls and got some 5* items there, too. If I get someone who can use fists I have a pair of Gaia Godfists that are as strong as Maria's blaster.

• Options
    And did my third 10 draw to grab the Ace ticket from the shop to save, got Victor

• Options
    ID: SQ6U3T6UCM
    Maria set, though I may change it to Anne when I get some equipment just to be different.

XNnw6Gk.jpg
  • Options
    My ID is HRA7Q283X3

• Options
    WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    An important note about this game is that you can switch to jp voices if you like

And more importantly you can specifically disable Coro's voice in the menus

• Options
    edited July 2018
    I kinda don't really like Maria's new ENG voice but I never liked her JP voice (which they managed to keep). Blurgh.

And yeah, already disabled Coro, that was a godsend.

Spectrum on
    XNnw6Gk.jpg
  • Options
    TransporterTransporter Registered User regular
    Goddamnit I play too many gotcha’s. But I have to, here, since Star Ocean 2 was my first jurp and has a special place in my heart( also HIGHLY underrated).

Did the standard Maria on the choice pull, got Nel on my 1 5k draw, and drew punchboy with the coin. Oh and I stole @vagrant_winds idea and got Maria’s gun and it is cheating.

Not like tippy top tier shit but good enough I got an SSR on my 5k so I’m happy.

Now when’s A2/Lenneth/Opera.

• Options
    Oh, also this game runs disturbingly well on my ancient iphone 6+

Looks great and a nice change of pace from FFRK’s chugging at times and Fate/Go’s outright crashing.

• Options
    I have no idea why the graphics and load times on this are better on my last-gen (2016) iPad Pro compared to my Galaxy Tab S3 but... they are.

Also, holy crap whoever designed Coro should go back to the drawing board. He has to be the worst mascot design I've seen in a long while.

• Options
    El FantasticoEl Fantastico Toronto, ONRegistered User regular
    What's with the complete lack of love for SO2? It was the only SO game I really played start to finish, so I don't have much of a clue who any of these waifus and bakas are.

I see Claude in the main image. Where's Ashton? Precis? Celine?

PSN: TheArcadeBear
    Steam: TheArcadeBear

• Options
    edited July 2018
    What's with the complete lack of love for SO2? It was the only SO game I really played start to finish, so I don't have much of a clue who any of these waifus and bakas are.

Saved for post launch/rerolls in the hopes people whale for them.

vagrant_winds on
  • Options

Saved for post launch/rerolls in the hopes people whale for them.

Yeah looking at the ACE list they are innately aware that the whole SO2 cast are premium whale targets.

• Options
    XeinosXeinos Registered User regular
    I've been playing since Japanese launch. Some thoughts and info from THE FUTUREEEEE in the spoiler.
    Power creep is probably going to be really bad for a while, but things will eventually even out and the iffy characters from launch will get a new upgrade mechanic to help them get closer to par.

Casters and Defenders got a big buff about three months into the Japanese launch that really helped them actually perform their roles. But I don't know if that buff is already rolled into the English release.

The tier list in the OP is about right for the characters released right now, but it isn't very future proof. Miki is probably the most future proof character listed, because Healers don't get hit as hard by the power creep. My partner is still using her for pretty high level content in the Japanese version.

The stat difference between base 4* characters and base 5* characters is pretty massive. I wouldn't run anything lower than a base 5* unless necessary. And the difference between a base 5* and an Ace is pretty big too, but not basically unusable.

The story isn't really anything to write home about, but some of the events are fun and let characters from different games and eras bounce off of each other.

Coro... should not be here imo.

Anyway, I've enjoyed my time with the game and I don't mind answering stuff if folks have questions. I hope you all enjoy it too!

• Options
    El FantasticoEl Fantastico Toronto, ONRegistered User regular
    Started the game, got free Faize and picked Maria with the free gem. Bought the Ace ticket, but it turned up Cliff. So I guess if I want Fidel, I'll be re-rolling.

That as simple as uninstalling/re-installing?

PSN: TheArcadeBear
    Steam: TheArcadeBear

• Options
    BluecyanBluecyan Buzz.. Buzz Buzz? BUZZ! Buzz buzz BuzzRegistered User regular
    I guess the big question: are there any specific banners we should be saving gems for?
    Are the 5* pieces of equipment from the events comparable to the gacha weapons?
    For the stat berries, should we save those or are they fine to use on some of the current high tier people?

• Options
    Okay, English already has stat seeds, that's nice to know that some additions have been rolled into the release.

I'd have to look at what banners are upcoming, and you guys already have Faize and Lymle, so the order has been changed a bit. Until they start adding Limited characters (characters that are removed from the pool after their event, like seasonal and collab characters) you'll probably end up with most characters just from pulling when you want.

That being said, the first real jump in power level comes with Edge. He'll probably be the first Defender that fits the mold of what Defenders are currently in JP, and can still be used easily. Most characters released before him are still a better than the launch line up, but I remember him being important for a while. Oh, Claude, Rena, Dias is a pretty good banner to pull on, thinking about it, and they should be before Edge.

Typically, a character's event weapon is good specifically for them (factors like +x% damage to certain battle skills), but the gacha 5* weapons have higher stats. From what I've seen and tried to math out, the higher stats win out over the factors, with one exception. Faize has an event weapon, the High Eldar Rapier iirc, that comes from the Crystal Tree event. It buffs his INT, Dark damage, and his best spell. So far as I've seen, nothing's been better for him, so if you like Faize, look out for it. Short version: use a character's event weapon until you pull a gacha weapon, then use that.

Seeds are a minor upgrade compared to weapon, Evolution, and Limit Break, so I typically think of them as more of a maximize your favorites, especially because it costs a good chunk of Fol to use them. So, if you really like anyone you have, feel free, imo. Otherwise, wait until someone you really like is released.

• Options
    We got a free copy of that rapier, actually

And can buy more copies with the Frost coins, yeah

• Options
    Oh hey, awesome!

If you are wanting to use it, you should try to get all the copies of it, as well. Weapons unlock a third factor when they are max Limit Broken and that's usually pretty important for event weapons, because their factors are their big deal.

• Options
    edited July 2018
    Yeah I'm still grinding to try and get enough AP to host that Frost Tree mission, seems like there's no actual time limit on it though, it just sort of runs permanently? Since that's also the Seed mission.

Faize is definitely gonna be my next target for Augmenting though, already have Maria at 6*

Maddoc on
  • Options
    Crap I’m debating re-rolling cause of that Ace ticket.

But losing Nell would SUUUCK.

11 pulls don’t have SSR’s guaranteed right?

• Options
    edited July 2018
    You can get enough gems or whatever quickly enough to buy it from the shop fairly easily

Run a bunch of multiplayer, you get 500 gems per "first meeting" for like the first twenty people or something

And no, they're guaranteed 4* or better (You should still not do single pulls, because 10 draws get you plates to spend in the shop)

Maddoc on
  • Options
    Maddoc wrote: »
    You can get enough gems or whatever quickly enough to buy it from the shop fairly easily

Run a bunch of multiplayer, you get 500 gems per "first meeting" for like the first twenty people or something

And no, they're guaranteed 4* or better (You should still not do single pulls, because 10 draws get you plates to spend in the shop)

Oh no I misspoke I already bought and burned the ticket.

That’s the problem. Otherwise I am 1 million % happy with what I got.

But a locked Ace on a future banner seems way better than my current punchboy who I will never use.

The problem is that I’ll lose my gem pull Nell, who’s dope.