As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Star Ocean: Anamnesis] Global Release. Nier Event. 2B (again), 9S, A2.

• TransporterTransporter Registered User regular
    Quick someone just give me a re-roll account with No gems spent and Nel from the free pull and Maria from the select this is super reasonable.

• MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Oh, meh, there's more Ace tickets

You can get one for 15 tablets in the shop that might refresh, and it seems like you get one a month

• El FantasticoEl Fantastico Toronto, ONRegistered User regular
    Got my Maria/Faize/Fidel party set up. Friend code: R8JGQB42NQ

PSN: TheArcadeBear
    Steam: TheArcadeBear

Maddoc wrote: »
    Oh, meh, there's more Ace tickets

You can get one for 15 tablets in the shop that might refresh, and it seems like you get one a month

So I was a big coward and re-roll spammed to get my BLEEDING EDGE MAX ECONOMY re-rolls.

Took awhile for the free daily pull to come down a 5*, but it was Myuria, which is like, my....third choice? Ugh I can't believe Fidel is my first choice. Nel is 2nd, of course.

There any way to save accounts without having to like, sync save?

• PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    What if Maria kills Shuichi Kobayashi?

• SpectrumSpectrum Archer of Inferno Chaldea Rec RoomRegistered User regular
    PLA wrote: »
    What if Maria kills Shuichi Kobayashi?
    Then we really will never get a sequel to the Last Remnant so don't even think about joking about that.

(Yes I know it's never going to happen but I will forever hold a small flame in my heart)

XNnw6Gk.jpg
    Scrounged up enough gems to do the 3rd 10 roll so as to buy the Ace Ticket with tablets

eyQm04sl.png

*blinks* That's a good roll.

XNnw6Gk.jpg
  • El FantasticoEl Fantastico Toronto, ONRegistered User regular
    I've played enough of other gacha games to know what some of the terms and things do, particularly around dupes.

I've got close to 20k gems right now, and this is with having a spent a few in the shop to get the level-up materials, but without having done any 10+ chain pulls, so I also have zero tablets.

I guess my question is, do I save up my gems now for a banner with someone I recognize/inevitable power creep characters, or am I better served getting some of my current crew potentially limit broken by summoning dupes? What does Limit Breaking even do for them, besides some stat upgrades I see?

PSN: TheArcadeBear
    Steam: TheArcadeBear

So I went “deep” diving the SO:A Discord because I am crazy and this is what I found about re-rolls and tier lists and character things

So apparently team comp is fluid, but you kind of want an Attack Buff, a Damage Buff, and if you’re being Hedonistic, a straight stat buff. Which explains SOME THINGS. Oh, and buffs have to be different types to stack. You can’t just bring eight Maria’s and be good. Each role(Attacker, Sharpshooter, Defender, Caster, sometimes healer) bring different types of buffs Unless the character has none in some cases.

Maria: I’m pretty sure everyone picked her. But I didn’t really know WHY other than she shot things good. Apparently she brings a good flat damage buff, as well as a crit buff, on top of shooting things good. As far as the JP Tier list goes she, even now, never dips below “perfectly fine” and with her Awakening(JP thing like a year down the road that buffs old characters) she goes back up to FANTASTIC as a sharpshooter again.

Fidel: Maaan this nothingburger character design. BUT, he’s actually pretty damn okay.

Let me re-phrase that. He get’s outpaced almost IMMEDIATELY by Lenneth in a month. But he never gets made irrelevant. Partially because he gets an Awakening, and Lenneth does not. And also because he has a no strings attached 40% Attack Buff.
    (That goes up to 50% in a year). So he is never ever bad to take and can tide you over for more than a year if you are doing a pauper run like I am.

Myuki...uh... the Elf Witch lady with the yabbos.: Is apparently a really below average caster.....until about a year when she becomes the best damage dealer in the game period by a wide margin.

Nell: Is apparently the only character in the game who has poison? Which does a flat % damage. Which varies wildly from utterly useless to far and away the best possible DPS you can do, depending on the mobs exp.

The Neir Banner:

Little less than a year away.

At least, at this moment, about 3 months after it’s release, is a Meta-Breaker. Good Defender(A2), an attacker that officially buries Fidel(2B brings the best attack buff in the game) and even Nines is a good caster buffer.

Between Fidel and Maria, it seems like you can pretty much just chill till that point outside if waifus.

Also for re-rolling don’t buy the Ace ticket

You get two 10 pulls worth of gems after the tutorial.

Do that. Save the ticket you’ll have enough to get it after tutorial planet

• mightyjongyomightyjongyo Sour Crrm East Bay, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    Confession: I only played Star Ocean: Last Hope so I only recognize maybe 6 characters. But my player ID is HXWJPHKRGE.

• vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    Confession: I only played Star Ocean: Last Hope so I only recognize maybe 6 characters. But my player ID is HXWJPHKRGE.

You only played the worst game in the franchise. :(

3 is the best and is good all around. The best gameplay in Star Ocean.
    2 is the second best and is also good all around. The best story in Star Ocean. Some people will threaten violence at me for not claiming this as #1.

5 tried some ambitious things, but not everything they tried actually worked out. Plus it's way too short on content. It uses 3 as a base for it's systems so enjoyment partially depends on if you liked 3's battle system. Lots of questionable design decisions.

1 SNES is rough and perhaps too old school. The PSP remake that ports it into 2's systems isn't bad though.

4 had a rough battle system with terrible party ai and mechanics that only worked for the playable character and penalized playing anyone ranged with a bad targeting system. Also, the story is abysmal.

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    I did appreciate that SO5 had a normal protagonist name for it's MC after the Fate Lies In God and Edge Maverick double whammy.

• mightyjongyomightyjongyo Sour Crrm East Bay, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    Well damn. I mean, I enjoyed it well enough so that bodes well, but I guess I have some catchup to do!

Well damn. I mean, I enjoyed it well enough so that bodes well, but I guess I have some catchup to do!

If you really want to, 2 PSP is probably the safest bet.

You give them more credit than I do. I just accepted that they named the important symbology-guy "linegod".

• WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    3 is a game that has aged poorly in incredible ways but I admire its guts in going for it

2 is more conservative but probably holds up better

• MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    I'd put it 2 > 1 PSP > 3 and everything else is a big wet fart

• YukiraYukira Registered User regular
    3 started out okay, and then became more and more disappointing as I played.

2 has tons of replay-ability because of party reasons. There's some really hard choices on who to recruit, both in number of slots and others because it's an either/or situation. Plus there's characters that only join depending on who your protagonist choice is. Also the very best character in the game comes super late and requires and open slot. The PSP versions made this even harder by including yet another great character.

3's replay-ability comes from it being damn fun to play and also having the best post-game content in the series. The party choices though? There's four optionals and two of them are trash characters so..... (one of which has cool gameplay mechanics but... come on.) The only real choices, which changes some story cutscenes, is if Nel or Albel joins along for the ride first.

edited July 2018
    2 has tons of replay-ability because of party reasons. There's some really hard choices on who to recruit, both in number of slots and others because it's an either/or situation. Plus there's characters that only join depending on who your protagonist choice is. Also the very best character in the game comes super late and requires and open slot. The PSP versions made this even harder by including yet another great character.

3's replay-ability comes from it being damn fun to play and also having the best post-game content in the series. The party choices though? There's four optionals and two of them are trash characters so..... (one of which has cool gameplay mechanics but... come on.) The only real choices, which changes some story cutscenes, is if Nel or Albel joins along for the ride first.

I remember rebelling against 3 for the characters, but that was literal decades ago, I should give it another shot one of these days.

Also shout outs to 2 for doing social links years before Persona with nearly EVERY CHARACTER COMBINATION AND ALL OF THEM EFFECTING YOUR ENDINGS.

WHICH THERE ARE 87 OF.

SO2 set an unrealistic expectation for jurps for me and in some ways they really have never been met again.

Transporter on
    Social Links started in Star Ocean 1. On the SNES.

Star Ocean 3 had achievements/trophies a generation before that was a real thing.

4 had a rough battle system with terrible party ai and mechanics that only worked for the playable character and penalized playing anyone ranged with a bad targeting system. Also, the story is abysmal.
    4 is a tire fire and I hated almost every decision they made. I gave up after the first arc after I spent like 10 fucking minutes having to jump cancel normal attacks against a boss with Reimi because of the stupid AI and aggro systems.

I haven't beaten 5 yet but only because it didn't have the strongest grasp on me and I got distracted by other things. I still made it a fair ways in and theoretically some day will go back.

I'm actually quite happy with the Star Ocean characters I've rolled so far. The only one currently available that I really want is Nel and I'm sure she'll show up eventually.

Unreleased, my main targets are Chisato, Precis, Ashton, and Reimi. (And all the collab characters and so on)

XNnw6Gk.jpg
    Also fucking Blindsides. Only the player controlled character in SO4 could use them for how much they toted on them. And you had to spend points to buff them that could be spent on their HP/MP so if you did so on the AI controlled characters those points were wasted.

And only Meracle and Arumat had Blindsides that were actually good, especially the later. Everyone else's was too easily interrupted.

Man SO2 had the best setup.

Equip Bloody armor.

Max the shit out of Rena/Fairy Heal.

Control Rena spamming Fairy Heal as your unkillable meele beats everything in the game, literally.

@Xeinos Can you weigh in on what's highest priority to get out of the coin shops? Event weapon followed by tickets?

Is there any real value in holding all these various tickets for later or just use them now?

XNnw6Gk.jpg
  • XeinosXeinos Registered User regular
    Spectrum wrote: »
    @Xeinos Can you weigh in on what's highest priority to get out of the coin shops? Event weapon followed by tickets?

Is there any real value in holding all these various tickets for later or just use them now?

My typical priority for event shops are

Limit Breakers>Character tickets>5* weapon tickets>Event accessory>Whatever I need

LBs are the real limiting factor on making a character useable later on, and they're dang near impossible to farm. Character tickets eventually become essentially a free medium limit breaker, because you will eventually cap out everyone below 5*. Gacha weapons are almost universally better than event weapons, so free 5* there is nice.

I'm not sure if EN already has accessory leveling up, but when you get that, the DEF boosts from a maxed out accessory are pretty massive (around 700 points) and accessories don't have another easy source to farm for. The anti ailment accessories are nice, but events will eventually start giving out better ones.

That being said, if you need ascension mats for someone, feel free to use your own judgement. Prism Orbs are a pain to farm for, but at least missions exist for them (they'll occasionally drop from any ascension mat mission).

Event weapons are okay if you don't have a gacha weapon of that type and have the character it is designed for. If you decide to get an event weapon, try to be sure you max it out.

I would go ahead and use whatever tickets you get, personally. Again, you'll eventually max LB everyone below 5* and pulling a maxed out character from the gacha becomes a limit breaker. If you really want to save Ace tickets, I suppose you could, but the Ace pool will get so diluted it'll be really lucky to pull someone you're aiming for with a ticket. And 5* weapons are typically really good to have laying around just in case you pull someone who uses them. Weapons will get power crept, but you'll still want good ones for the content you're doing right now, and 5* weapon tickets aren't super rare.

Hopefully that all makes sense? This stuff is my approach, at least

Did a 10 draw on a whim and got Myuria, Cliff, and Victor! I have no idea if they're any good but I'm still pretty happy about getting three 5* out of one draw.

Xeinos wrote: »
    Hopefully that all makes sense? This stuff is my approach, at least
    Makes sense. Thanks!

XNnw6Gk.jpg
    edited July 2018
    Social-links started on PC before there was a SNES.

The worst part of Star Ocean 4 was that the character with the awful voice sounds terrible in all languages. The only winning move is not to play.

PLA on
  • FremFrem Registered User regular

Infinity engine games?

2 is more conservative but probably holds up better
    Forgot to respond to this...
    The main problem I have these days with SO2 is that it's part of that 90s era of game that just loves to put unwinnable boss battles everywhere and it's usually just frustrating nonsense to run into those.

XNnw6Gk.jpg
    PSA: Try to run all missions possible in Multiplayer, even if only one other person joins. For the first 30 days after account creation, the account is a Rookie. This grants extra drops...in Multiplayer only.

1 Rookie in the Lobby is 1 drop.
    2 Rookies is 1 drop + 50% chance of 1 more.
    3 Rookies is 2 drops.
    4 Rookies is 2 drops + 50% chance of 1 more.

XNnw6Gk.jpg
    Frem wrote: »

Infinity engine games?

Visual Novels technically.

Oh! Since I finally settled:

Friend Code: RGGVE6BJCV

My loaner is Fidel since not many people pulled him probably.

Multiplayer is actual REAL ACTION MULTIPLAYER with choosing your character to use and everything. That's gonna be super fun with PA peeps!

Multiplayer is actual REAL ACTION MULTIPLAYER with choosing your character to use and everything. That's gonna be super fun with PA peeps!

No Mutual Follow yet? For shame.

It's kinda stupid there's no 'these people are following you' option that I can see?

No Mutual Follow yet? For shame.

It's kinda stupid there's no 'these people are following you' option that I can see?

I re-rolled.

ALOT.

I wasn't sure if this was the account I was going to stick with but I've already awakened the three amigos to 70, finished the story, and started the events MAYBE I should start doing the friend thing, lol.

In my re-roll adventures I did throw away an account where I got Myuria 4 times which would have been a crazy keep, but Fidel's dumb buff is too dumb to not have so I can hoard gems

LBs are the real limiting factor on making a character useable later on, and they're dang near impossible to farm.
    Circling back to this, do you think it's worth the 1500 gems for the 1/month L. Limit Breaker Set in the shop?

XNnw6Gk.jpg
    Spectrum wrote: »
    LBs are the real limiting factor on making a character useable later on, and they're dang near impossible to farm.
    Circling back to this, do you think it's worth the 1500 gems for the 1/month L. Limit Breaker Set in the shop?

It's essentially an Ace for 1500 gems. I think it's worth it.

Specially since character's like Myuria need em to stay relevant as she get's scaled into the stars.

edited July 2018
    Bear in mind that you get 1 small limit break mat every time you draw a 3* you have at max limit

Also dang, unless I'm missing something, the only way to damage today's Crystal Guardian bosses is with crits?

Maddoc on
  • XeinosXeinos Registered User regular
    edited July 2018
    Yeah, I think the monthly limit breaker is totally worth it. 1500 isn't really bad to save for, and the benefits are way greater than using said gems for a pull that'll likely get you 6-7 smalls and some mediums

Edit: They'll occasionally put some gimmick or the other on some bosses. In JP at least, the event description in the News has special traits of the bosses listed. Things like elemental weakness, inflated defence, vulnerability to status ailments, enrage timers, etc. If that exists in EN, It is usually a good idea to look at it. If you're having trouble, bring along an Anne if you can, she has a party wide crit rate boost and i think she's the only 5* with one at release.

Xeinos on