Options

[Star Ocean: Anamnesis] Global Release. Nier Event. 2B (again), 9S, A2.

• Options
    AshtonDragonAshtonDragon AKA The Nix Registered User regular
    Happy enough to use Clair for now, and I've got Faize as well of course. Don't really want to do any more than daily rolls now for as long as possible, until I either need a character in another role (in which case in theory I could use a 4* character?), or SO2 characters are available.

• Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    edited July 2018
    Claire is really good, I just hate the normal attack animations for daggers

When I do use her, currently, my strategy is to just stand back and cycle between Aqua Spread and and Sylvan Shot, then sit still for a second to regain AP to do it again

Maddoc on
  • Options
    The multiplayer in this game is pretty painless. Once I'm through the early game and have at least one character leveled, it'd be neat to run some stuff with a group from here.

• Options
    TransporterTransporter Registered User regular
    For SO2 fans, Opera is SUPER BADASS in this game as basically all of her skills have ridiculous super armor so she just facetanks shit like a boss.

She’s not top tier or anything but she’s unique amoung sharpshooters and that’s good enough for me.

• Options
    For SO2 fans, Opera is SUPER BADASS in this game as basically all of her skills have ridiculous super armor so she just facetanks shit like a boss.

She’s not top tier or anything but she’s unique amoung sharpshooters and that’s good enough for me.

I've always really liked Opera, but there's a critical problem about her in SO2.

The hint is in my username.

• Options

I've always really liked Opera, but there's a critical problem about her in SO2.

The hint is in my username.

Well obviously the answer is to PLAY THROUGH TWICE.

Rena/Dias/Ashton/Claude Bloody Armor murderball

Claude/Opera/Rena/Precise to bring glorious technology to the SAVAGES.

• Options
    Leon is cooler than Dias

fite me

• Options
    Oh I've played through SO2 many more times than twice. I've just done a lot more Ashton runs than Opera runs.

Really my hesitation on getting into this game is that I'm not really a fan of the series. I played 3 and 4, but didn't finish either (although I at least got reasonably far into 4), and I played through SO1 once when the PSP version came out. But SO2 specifically is one of my favorite games ever.

• Options
    SO2 is the best one, SO1 PSP is also pretty good because it makes SO1 from a bad game into a game more like SO2

And then just forget the rest of the series, honestly

• Options
    Is that how people feel about the series in Japan, as well?
    Really I'm just confused as to why SO2 isn't front and center from the get-go. There's value in saving it to milk some dollars out of people later, but you gotta get them interested in the first place!

• Options
    edited July 2018
    I don't know, honestly

Like 3 was playable but I still think it was kind of bad, and then everything after that has been a miserable burning fucking dumpster that probably should have poisoned the IP beyond saving

So maybe they actually like the later games over there?

It kills me because the concept of the series is one I really like, and I don't think it's ever really been executed very well (Even in those early games there's very little blending of Sci Fi and Fantasy beyond "You are a scifi man in a fantasy world now")

Personally, I'm way more excited for the collab units

Valkyrie Profile mostly, but also Nier and Resonance of Fate

Maddoc on
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    I didn't hate what I played of Star Ocean 4. There was some utter nonsense in the characters and the plot, but the game was at least fun to play.

That may have been true for 5 as well, but I just couldn't get past the characters to find out.

EDIT: I need to actually do some research into this game at some point. I knew about the Nier collab, but not Valkyrie Profile. That is awesome.

AshtonDragon on
  • Options
    They went full anime trash and it somehow survived.

Apparently SO4 was popular enough to get an upscale.

I think Amanesis is keenly aware SO2 is the moneymaker.

Every single SO2 character released so far in JP is a 5* Ace.

• Options
    Valkyrie Profile has two collabs in JP so far, the second being way bigger and more awesome

First lineup
    Attacker Lenneth
    Shooter Silmeria

Second lineup
    Shooter Lenneth
    Caster Freya
    Defender Hrist
    Attacker Arngrim
    Caster Lezard
    Caster Mystina

The first lineup gets eventually power creeped, and the second lineup is near top of the game in most categories

• Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    edited July 2018
    Yeah no, SO3 was the best one. And the only -bad- game in the series is SO4.

(Though pretty much every fan of the series either calls SO2 or SO3 the best. On the Discord for the game it's pretty split between the two, but no one likes 1, 5, or 4 the most.)

vagrant_winds on
    // Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    As a side note, besides the limited colab units there's also gonna be Summer/Halloween/Bride/Groom/What If other alternative versions of characters that are limited too.

Summer Myuria speaks to me and Groom Fayt looks dandy.

• Options
    edited July 2018
    Oh my god I wish they would disable the Auto/Manual button in multiplayer

EDIT: Went and found SE's Feedback page for Anamnesis because I couldn't help myself but scream into the faceless abyss about this, holy shit, like I can't get a multiplayer group today without 1-2 people autoing

Maddoc on
  • Options
    Not to say it isn't a problem, but I feel like disabling the auto button would cause a number of people to stand around and do nothing.

• Options
    that would feel more honest to me than getting like twenty seconds into a fight and realizing they're never going to rush

• Options
    Another pet peeve would be people following up my Claire rushes, like noooo stooooop use your rush after!

• Options
    edited July 2018
    I just multi with Discord people most of the time.
    https://discord.gg/Z4ts4CU

Another bonus is leveling up the mutual gauges for rewards. You get exp, hammers, limit break materials, and gems out of them.

vagrant_winds on
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    Not sure how strong I need to be at to take on certain stuff. Jie on Expert is a cakewalk in multiplayer, but I'm wary to try Misery 1, since I died against the Frost Tree.

I just desperately need more experience against things that can actually hurt me.

EDIT: Jie on Misery 1 turned out to be fine, although it's funny for me to do a mission that costs more stamina than my current max.

AshtonDragon on
  • Options
    SpectrumSpectrum Archer of Inferno Chaldea Rec RoomRegistered User regular
    The problem with Opera in SO2 is that you need to put up with Ernest if you're doing a character-aligned path, who sucks. (I mean yeah you can just ignore him but that's missing out.) It also puts stress on your character slots and usually means you can't take Chisato, who's sleeper OP and a fun character besides.

In most of my runs I usually ended up with Claude, Rena, Celine, Ashton, Precis, Leon, Noel, and Chisato which isn't technically ideal (since frankly Noel also sucks and there's 0 reason to ever have both him and Celine and Leon and Rena) but all the physical characters are strong enough anyway that all the non-Rena mages get punted in the back line at some point so it doesn't really matter.

XNnw6Gk.jpg
  • Options
    As awesome as Ashton was, I felt like Opera + Dias >>> Ashton + Leon and thus normally went for the former on Rena's playthough.

Also, it wasn't just Chisato who was great. Both super late game characters were great.

• Options
    Spectrum wrote: »
    The problem with Opera in SO2 is that you need to put up with Ernest if you're doing a character-aligned path, who sucks. (I mean yeah you can just ignore him but that's missing out.) It also puts stress on your character slots and usually means you can't take Chisato, who's sleeper OP and a fun character besides.

In most of my runs I usually ended up with Claude, Rena, Celine, Ashton, Precis, Leon, Noel, and Chisato which isn't technically ideal (since frankly Noel also sucks and there's 0 reason to ever have both him and Celine and Leon and Rena) but all the physical characters are strong enough anyway that all the non-Rena mages get punted in the back line at some point so it doesn't really matter.
    Seems like a no-brainer to just reject Noel in order to get Chisato instead. Even if he was good, he's the least interesting character in the game by an insanely wide margin. Kicking him out in favor of Welch in the PSP version was obvious to me (although things might get tricky if I wanted both Welch and Opera...)

My dream is for there to be an SO2 remake eventually that makes the magic characters halfway usable. I really like Celine and Leon, but putting them in the party simply isn't an option.

• Options
    Really wish the PSP games were available on PSN

• Options
    Maddoc wrote: »
    Really wish the PSP games were available on PSN

They are in Japan, which is aggravating.

I gotta resort to iso rips to play my versions on the go.

• Options

Seems like a no-brainer to just reject Noel in order to get Chisato instead. Even if he was good, he's the least interesting character in the game by an insanely wide margin. Kicking him out in favor of Welch in the PSP version was obvious to me (although things might get tricky if I wanted both Welch and Opera...)

My dream is for there to be an SO2 remake eventually that makes the magic characters halfway usable. I really like Celine and Leon, but putting them in the party simply isn't an option.
    Well, okay, yes but I am usually not okay with rejecting lol. Hence why Opera is wedded to Ernest if you're doing a full run on that side.

XNnw6Gk.jpg
  • Options

Well, okay, yes but I am usually not okay with rejecting lol. Hence why Opera is wedded to Ernest if you're doing a full run on that side.

I wouldn't mind deliberately avoiding Ernest if it didn't cripple Opera's ending options. She has some legitimately good pairings, but you still need to get Ernest to set them up. It's actually kinda funny if you think about it.

That said, I still like Ernest many times more than Noel.

• Options
    MoT Paralysis 13+ is no fucking joke.

Hope you like earth dick 'cause there's a lot of it heading your way.

XNnw6Gk.jpg
  • Options
    MoT Paralysis 13+ is no fucking joke.

Hope you like earth dick 'cause there's a lot of it heading your way.

Yeah, they were hard. I supped in the 4* that makes you immune to Paralysis and they were still super hard.

• Options
    I just got the 5* ace ticket for completing the starter missions. I assume I should hold on to this thing until some characters are added that I care about? I don't know if this ticket's banner only includes the initial characters.

Aside, I've learned that I will always have aggro against Jie in multiplayer (even when I'm not the host). I'm not sure that there's a character who can keep up with Reimi's aggro against a moving enemy, and so far I have only encountered one other Reimi player who was able to keep aggro from me. Would be annoying, but it has really helped my ability to dodge.

• Options
    Tickets include everything released that can be currently pulled on any banner for what ever category they are. So Aces currently can pull the new aces yes. Later when limited bamners drop the tickets can pull those while the banners exist.

Tickets don't have rate up though, it's an equal chance among the pool.

• Options
    Tickets include everything released that can be currently pulled on any banner for what ever category they are. So Aces currently can pull the new aces yes. Later when limited bamners drop the tickets can pull those while the banners exist.

That's the most I was hoping for. I'll certainly wait to use them, either until Valkyrie Profile event or SO2 characters.

I did find a character list with their original release dates to get a vague understanding of when people will show up, but I haven't seen a decent compiled list of which characters are on which banners.

• Options

That's the most I was hoping for. I'll certainly wait to use them, either until Valkyrie Profile event or SO2 characters.

I did find a character list with their original release dates to get a vague understanding of when people will show up, but I haven't seen a decent compiled list of which characters are on which banners.
    Try this? https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1RNEkBCv2htYLnQCZXiGJsGZEk1aZEhAwVWpJ_eQSuyo/edit#gid=0

XNnw6Gk.jpg
  • Options

Try this? https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1RNEkBCv2htYLnQCZXiGJsGZEk1aZEhAwVWpJ_eQSuyo/edit#gid=0

Thanks! This is a lot more convenient than what I was looking at.

Also confirms that I'm going to have some hard decisions. Will certainly do some rolling on Valkyrie Profile, but I hope I can get out of that without burning too much. I could pass on Claude if I had to, but I need a decent stockpile for Dias/Rena. After that, it will be a test to see if I will stick with the game long enough for anyone else I care about to be released.

• Options
    o_O I got Nel and Fidel from back to back daily free draws...

Dammit Star Ocean, you're supposed to be my bad luck sink!

XNnw6Gk.jpg
  • Options
    https://www.facebook.com/StarOceanAnamnesis/photos/a.218799832098593.1073741828.215149075797002/242374013074508/?type=3

New Banner is live, jumping the schedule quite a bit. Summer Miki and Summer Myuria are here and they're -not- limited.

Part 2 eventually with Summer Sophia and Summer Reimi.

XNnw6Gk.jpg
  • Options
    Doesn't really affect my plans (outside of doing the event itself). Don't care about any of the listed characters and they don't look especially good. The great hoard continues.

• Options
    There's also Summer Packs in the shop. One gives 4 weapon coins, exp, limit breaks, and an ace ticket. Not bad.

Got Summer Myuria after 4 pulls. Got two off rate-up SSRs first.