As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Football/Soccer] Thread about kickin' balls

• Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Our brave lads are currently top of the Championship so basically I'm looking forward to seeing how we utterly fuck this up from hereon in

• Options
    oldmankenoldmanken Registered User regular
    I will not get excited about Arsenal. I will not get excited about Arsenal. I will not get excited...

Nine wins in a row feels pretty good though, and they seem like they are starting to buy into Emery's system.

• Options
    Mc zanyMc zany Registered User regular
    oldmanken wrote: »
    Wow... The build-up and finish for that third Arsenal goal was pretty damn special.

Where is that vid of arsenal scoring a team goal to the Harlem globetrotters theme?

• Options
    CogCog What'd you expect? Registered User regular
    edited October 2018
    honovere wrote: »
    Paco Alcácer came from Barcelona to Dortmund this season and hasn't played a full game for three years but has still managed to score 6 goals within 81 minutes on the field so far for Dortmund.

https://clippituser.tv/c/zkwllw

Comes on with 30 minutes left in the game, final goal is that fucking banger, the final touch of the game, the game winner, that also wraps up the hat trick.

Right now he's averaging a goal every 13 minutes on the field. If he started every remaining game, that pace would end up at 193 goals this season. That sounds fine.

Cog on
  • Options
    TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
  • Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    Cog wrote: »
    Paco Alcácer came from Barcelona to Dortmund this season and hasn't played a full game for three years but has still managed to score 6 goals within 81 minutes on the field so far for Dortmund.

https://clippituser.tv/c/zkwllw

Comes on with 30 minutes left in the game, final goal is that fucking banger, the final touch of the game, the game winner, that also wraps up the hat trick.

Right now he's averaging a goal every 13 minutes on the field. If he started every remaining game, that pace would end up at 193 goals this season. That sounds fine.

And then yesterday Mbappe decides to score 4 within 13 minutes. crazy

• Options

this goal was scored at the match i was at last night

good fuck

• Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaamn

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    CogCog What'd you expect? Registered User regular
    It must take some crazy balls to even attempt that strike.

• Options
    edited October 2018
    It sounds like the Columbus Crew are staying put, via an interesting little shell game:

https://socceresq.com/2018/10/12/savedthecrew-deal-to-keep-team-in-columbus-largely-done/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

Synopsis: Crew owner Precourt awarded an expansion franchise, Browns owner and another unnamed partner then buys said franchise and all Crew records and naming from Precourt, while then 'moving' the current Crew franchise to Austin. Weird deal, but essentially means Crew stay put, Precourt buggers off to Austin... Seems like a pretty happy outcome all around.

Also sounds like Haslam may have land lined up for a new stadium for the Crew.

oldmanken on
  • Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    Really cool that it was the Browns owners of all people saving another Ohio sports franchise and keeping them from moving

• Options
    Yeah, I like this outcome. The only unfortunate part about this is that Austin will be saddled with a shit-heel owner.

• Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    It's the MLS. Odds are, your owner is a shitheel. The league already is.

• Options
    No Great NameNo Great Name FRAUD DETECTED Registered User regular

expand upon this hot take

PSN: NoGreatName Steam:SirToons Twitch: SirToons
    sirtoons.png
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular

It stinks!

• Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    San Antonio's probably having a conniption fit because of the hoops they've been made to jump through while Precourt gets to go "WHELP, GOING TO AUSTIN" bypassing the whole process and effectively torpedoing any chance at a franchise in San Antonio.

• Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular

There are uhh. A lot of teams and not really enough to sustain them. There are also play-ins like in other soccer leagues. (Which have a demotion structure to ensure that quality is high and teams don’t reloacte)

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    As a person whose experience with the expansion process has been "okay, we've done everything you asked and said we'd get in if we did. We good?"

"Actually, you need more money"

"Okay, how much more?"

"More. Also here's two expansion teams that don't meet all the requirements we asked for you."

"No, like, give us a dollar amount. We've started pre-work on the stadium because of what you've promised us now."

"That's nice. Also, no. The answer is more"

.... I'm okay with calling MLS shitheels.

• Options
    Good fuck Ireland Denmark was the worst game I’ve ever been to. I can’t believe I paid for that. Only saving grace was an American guy near us who was really hamming up his Americaness for the craic

“There’s my boy Duffy! Go Duff! He should get the ball and do a goal! He’s a big guy! Just have him do a header goal!”

No way it wasn’t intentional but it was also the only good thing about that fucking match

• Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
  • Options
    evilbobevilbob RADELAIDERegistered User regular
    A-League starts Friday with Adelaide v Sydney. We fucken better win. This week's been shit enough without watching Sydney win.

l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

• Options
    Tav wrote: »
    Good fuck Ireland Denmark was the worst game I’ve ever been to. I can’t believe I paid for that. Only saving grace was an American guy near us who was really hamming up his Americaness for the craic

“There’s my boy Duffy! Go Duff! He should get the ball and do a goal! He’s a big guy! Just have him do a header goal!”

No way it wasn’t intentional but it was also the only good thing about that fucking match

Champion.

l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

• Options
    k2bnorwb4owy.jpeg

My local team were drawn against East Fife in the quarter finals of the Scottish challenge cup (they invited Irish/English/Welsh teams for the craic)

a cursory googling shows they have the saddest stadium I ever done seen

• Options
    Mc zanyMc zany Registered User regular
    edited October 2018
    Such a shame. That view would be lovely otherwise.

Mc zany on
  • Options
    DraevenDraeven Registered User regular
    k2bnorwb4owy.jpeg

My local team were drawn against East Fife in the quarter finals of the Scottish challenge cup (they invited Irish/English/Welsh teams for the craic)

a cursory googling shows they have the saddest stadium I ever done seen

this is Orwellien levels of depressing right there. Good god.

Morskitter wrote "Spikes, choppas, tentacles, magic? Can't hold a candle to Sergeant Pimp here."

• Options
    Mark Bosnich getting fired up over shit penalty decision.
    https://streamable.com/k2gve

l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

• Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    VAR sucks

It would be fair enough if it killed play but the decisions were made correctly, but they aren't, so it kills play while the ref makes the wrong call

Get rid

• Options

our new away jersey sure is a thing

(he played a concert in our stadium back in 1980)

• Options
    edited October 2018
    Was there like one executive who really is a fan of that guy? At least theyy can make some extra merch money buy selling them at concerts.

honovere on
  • Options
    Was there like one executive who really is a fan of that guy? At least theyy can make some extra merch money buy selling them at concerts.

they’ve a big mural of himself and Phil Lynott in the stadium

they’re really playing up the cultural history of the club

• Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    at least phil lynott is irish

• Options
    Maybe over the next seasons they can make it kind of a ongoing thing with Thin Lizzy and the Boomtown Rats.

• Options
    RHCP played there in the 90s and I’m glad it’s not just a bunch of lads in cocksocks.

• Options
    RHCP played there in the 90s and I’m glad it’s not just a bunch of lads in cocksocks.

new away kit idea

• Options
    HerrCronHerrCron It that wickedly supports taxation Registered User regular

Yet.

sig.gif
  • Options

the pictures of the crash itself are something

• Options
    https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-leicestershire-46008703

Leicestershire owner and 4 other people confirmed dead. It seems he was quite popular as boss and club owner. You don't see that all that often.

• Options
    ZiggymonZiggymon Registered User regular
    https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-leicestershire-46008703

Leicestershire owner and 4 other people confirmed dead. It seems he was quite popular as boss and club owner. You don't see that all that often.

Extremely generous owner who did things like by all the match day fans and away fans cake and scarves on his birthday etc.

• Options
    In happier news, that Pogba penalty...
    https://youtu.be/v9mOq34Tm_c

This discussion has been closed.