As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Football/Soccer] Thread about kickin' balls

• Options
    TheBlackWindTheBlackWind Registered User regular
    OL Reign looked like a hot mess yesterday. Haven't really kept up lately, but I have no idea what their strategy was supposed to be.

PAD ID - 328,762,218
  • Options
    TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular

the football understander has logged on

• Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    When will football pundits start talking about things other than City

• Options
    i know i am falling for the bait but that was just too much of a galaxy brain for me to ignore

• Options
    PellaeonPellaeon Registered User regular
    And the need to buy two or three players in the transfer window is a case of boosting squad numbers after losing Kompany, David Silva and Leroy Sane.

Indeed , how will the ever compete with the mighty Southamptons of the world without another £200 million worth of players?!

• Options
    CorvusCorvus . VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited July 2020
    Welp, MLS has had to withdraw Dallas (because too many players are infected) from their Covid Cup down in Florida and there are reports Colorado may be removed too.

The whole tournament is such a dumb idea. If they were going to hold this thing in order to get the sport back on TV, they should have arranged it to be in one of the three Canadian cities in the league. Unlike the USA we have a functional government and response to the pandemic.

Corvus on
    :so_raven:
  • Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    Corvus wrote: »
    Welp, MLS has had to withdraw Dallas (because too many players are infected) from their Covid Cup down in Florida and there are reports Colorado may be removed too.

The whole tournament is such a dumb idea. If they were going to hold this thing in order to get the sport back on TV, they should have arranged it to be in one of the three Canadian cities in the league. Unlike the USA we have a functional government and response to the pandemic.

I thought it was Nashville that was next on the chopping block. Either way, yeah it’s a dumpster fire. So many people are still playing the “it hasn’t even started yet, you can’t judge” card...man, that’s the point. One team already DQ’d for plague, multiple high profile players refusing to play, and the first match hasn’t started. That’s a bad look.

Also saw on reddit rumor mongering that there’s a Delta flight chartered from Orlando to Seattle tomorrow, and many, many Sounders fans hoping our boys are on it. I doubt it. But it would be hilarious.

• Options

are there still border issues between the USA and Canada? I can't imagine Canadian cities clamouring to have a couple hundred people fly up from infection central for basically zero benefit

• Options
    themightypuckthemightypuck MontanaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2020
    Deleted for drunk posting.

themightypuck on
    “Reject your sense of injury and the injury itself disappears.”
    ― Marcus Aurelius

Path of Exile: themightypuck
  • Options
    Tav wrote: »

are there still border issues between the USA and Canada? I can't imagine Canadian cities clamouring to have a couple hundred people fly up from infection central for basically zero benefit

The border is closed (As it should be) but they’re making exceptions for pro athletes.

The NHL will be playing all its games in Canada, despite most teams being American.

• Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    it took the NBA shutting down for people to begin taking this shit seriously in the US. One of these fucking leagues needs to just say 'this is bullshit' and call it all off.

• Options
    edited July 2020
    mcdermott wrote: »

I thought it was Nashville that was next on the chopping block. Either way, yeah it’s a dumpster fire. So many people are still playing the “it hasn’t even started yet, you can’t judge” card...man, that’s the point. One team already DQ’d for plague, multiple high profile players refusing to play, and the first match hasn’t started. That’s a bad look.

Also saw on reddit rumor mongering that there’s a Delta flight chartered from Orlando to Seattle tomorrow, and many, many Sounders fans hoping our boys are on it. I doubt it. But it would be hilarious.

My bad, yeah, it was Nashville rumoured to go next. We've had quite a few players opting out too. Vela is out, Montero from the Whitecaps, etc.

Edit:Well shit, a bunch of the Whitecaps declined to go, including three of our top forwards. Apparently our top forward, Lucas Cavallini, has lost two relatives to Covid.

Corvus on
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    Looking forward to the match tonight. I think we'll probably lose, but we do have a chance, and it's two hard working teams, should be entertaining!

Solar on
  • Options
    I'm looking forward to the MLS return tonight. I've got Friday off work and I'm dead tempted to stay up to watch the 3:30am kickoff tomorrow

• Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
  • Options
    Yeahhhhh!!!!

• Options
    since Duffy hasn't been getting games for Brighton, i am all about John Eagan popping up with goals

• Options
    since Duffy hasn't been getting games for Brighton, i am all about John Eagan popping up with goals

He's a cracking player

• Options
    No Great NameNo Great Name FRAUD DETECTED Registered User regular
    Who yall got winnon the mls covid cup? I can't root against DC so my choice is easy

PSN: NoGreatName Steam:SirToons Twitch: SirToons
    sirtoons.png
  • Options
    Who yall got winnon the mls covid cup? I can't root against DC so my choice is easy

The survivors

• Options
    Solar wrote: »

He's a cracking player

I can't see it happening but I'd love to see ireland play 3atb when we're back

stevens/egan/duffy/coleman/doherty
    lwb/lcb/cb/rcb/rwb

with Dara O'Shea, Ciaran Clark and Kevin Long as cover

you'd have to twist my arm between to pick between them all in a traditional 4atb

• Options
    That'd be a good back. Egan and Stevens are both great players and I haven't seen Duffy much but I think Brighton fans do love him

• Options
    Duffy is a class act but Graham Potter doesn't seem to rate him for some reason so he's not getting his game. I'm hoping he can get a move next season.

• Options
    Should come and play at Sheffield United, be our fourth player from the Irish national side

• Options
    Ireland is built like that GoT horse meme. REALLY solid at the back and then an alright midfield and then you get to the attackers and they couldn't buy a goal between them. I love Didzy and Seani Maguire but fuck me, it's painful that our defenders have more international goals than our strikers. There's been a lot of talk in the last year about Parrot/Idah/Obafemi/Connolly stepping up but between them they have four league goals all season.

• Options
  • Options
    oldmankenoldmanken Registered User regular
    MLS games at 8am... Yup, I'm ok with this.

• Options
    this game is so weird. It legitimately looks like it's taking part in a local park

• Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
  • Options
    you can see some dudes practising baseball in the background

• Options
    edited July 2020
    Ireland is built like that GoT horse meme. REALLY solid at the back and then an alright midfield and then you get to the attackers and they couldn't buy a goal between them. I love Didzy and Seani Maguire but fuck me, it's painful that our defenders have more international goals than our strikers. There's been a lot of talk in the last year about Parrot/Idah/Obafemi/Connolly stepping up but between them they have four league goals all season.

I dunno why but this feels very appropriately Irish tbh

Solar on
  • Options
    Solar wrote: »

I dunno why but this feels very appropriately Irish tbh

we've never exactly been flash up top it has to be said

• Options
    I miss Fail United, please bring back Mourinho on a lifetime contract

• Options
    mason greenwood is a good striker

• Options
    I love Keane-facts

• Options
    Europa draw says we get Seville or Roma and Man U get Istanbul or Copenhagen. That feels like the hardest quarterfinal on offer for us, which is just terrific.

• Options
  • Options
    Bogart wrote: »
    Oh and we get Man U after, of course.

I mean

You could get Istanbul or Copenhagen...

• Options
    The decision to restart MLS with little to no team fitness prep in the Orlando heat and humidity is....not going well tonight. Cramps left right and center.

This discussion has been closed.