As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Warner Brothers pulls advanced screenings in Canada.

MeizMeiz Registered User regular
edited May 2007 in Games and Technology
It looks like Canada's reputation as a hotbed of piracy is starting to result in some real repercussions, with Warner Bros. announcing today that it's putting an end to all advance movie screenings in the country. According to the studio, that rather drastic measure is being done in response to what it claims to be a lack of legislation in Canada to stop the camcordering of movies in theaters, which it says has resulted in the country becoming the "main source for most of the world's film piracy." While the ban doesn't extend to press screenings, they will apparently now be relegated to private screening rooms instead of theaters. For everyone else, the ban goes into effect immediately, affecting movies from both Warner Independent Pictures and Warner Bros. Pictures, including the upcoming Ocean's Thirteen and Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix, which'll surely not be pirated now.

Related articles:
http://www.engadget.com/2007/05/08/warner-bros-ends-advance-screenings-in-canada-blames-piracy/
http://yro.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=07/05/08/1816249&from=rss

Here's the update Zoolander posted:
http://www.canada.com/montrealgazette/news/story.html?id=a65c3feb-e78b-4eff-8f78-85511176e79b&k=10871

Yes, alienating a whole nation is the way to get people to do things for you.

Why just the other day, I asked someone for a smoke and when he said no, I told him to go fuck himself. As a result he gave me his whole pack.

Seriously, who's making these outlandish decisions thinking that they're going to make any impact at all is beyond me. Nobody gives a shit about your IP when you coil it around a 20 dollar price tag, not including retardedly expensive confectionery.

Uhg.

Meiz on

• Options
    bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    90% of these pirated versions are taken from the projection booth, and I dont see why they cant pat people down or metal detector or somethign for these.I wouldnt expect it to be too hard to make sure people are bringing them in.

bloodyroarxx on
  • Options
    ImperfectImperfect Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    WTF - a hotbed of piracy? I went to an advance screening of Sin City and they were confiscating cell phones at the door on the suspicion of there being cameras in them. Even old phones that basically had greenscreens on 'em.

Fawk, the problem is not with crappy cams being released on the internet, it's with actual DVDs and screeners disappearing from their own studios and workshops.

Imperfect on
  • Options
    The CheeseThe Cheese Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Imperfect wrote: »
    Fawk, the problem is not with crappy cams being released on the internet, it's with actual DVDs and screeners disappearing from their own studios and workshops.

And that would be an admission that they're fucking up. It's so much easier to blame other people - especially if they're in another country.

Interestingly, a lot of studios release cheap and quickly made telecine versions of their own movies in Russia to combat all the pirated versions that are sold there. Those get ripped in about a day and people online have great quality versions of brand new movies to steal.

The Cheese on
  • Options
    ArtoriaArtoria Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Why the hell would you even want to watch a "cam" movie like that? Have you ever seen one before? They look and sound terrible.

Artoria on
  • Options
    BeefsandwichBeefsandwich Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I think the answer is that your average joe doesn't care too much about quality when it's cheap (or even free).

Beefsandwich on
    Lord+Mjollnir.png
  • Options
    SenjutsuSenjutsu thot enthusiast Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Direct link to Geist's refutation of the "Canada=piracy hotbed" claims.

Not that I really care. If they want to hurt themselves by removing a source of word of mouth advertising, more power to them.

Senjutsu on
  • Options
    EinhanderEinhander __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2007
    Does this really do anything other than make people who download shitty cam rips off the net have to wait until it hits theaters everywhere?

Also, cam rips come from all over the globe, don't they? So really I can't see how this will affect piracy at all. Maybe if you're a Canadian who buys a VHS copy of a cam rip of a new movie off of some guy on the street or out of the trunk of a car or something, then you have to wait a little longer I guess.

Einhander on
  • Options
    The CheeseThe Cheese Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Well, they didn't stop doing advanced screenings anywhere else. So I doubt it'll slow down the piracy at all.

The Cheese on
  • Options
    polaris314polaris314 Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    My problem has never been with the studios saying "Piracy is bad", it's always been with their justification of how they go about combatting it. A crappy shakey-cam version of a movie is not an adequate substitute for the full, high-quality product that becomes available at retail later. They are kidding themselves if they think people will watch that and (assuming they like the movie) say "wow, thanks to this I no longer have to worry about purchasing the dvd". I realize we are talking about theatrical runs and not dvd releases, but the logic is the same if you ask me. Also their claim that downloads = lost sales at a 1:1 ratio is crazy talk! O_o

[/rant]

polaris314 on
    steam_sig.png
    XBL/PSN-Polaris314/Twitter/DJ P0LARI5
  • Options
    AlienCowThatMoosAlienCowThatMoos Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Senjutsu wrote: »
    Direct link to Geist's refutation of the "Canada=piracy hotbed" claims.

Not that I really care. If they want to hurt themselves by removing a source of word of mouth advertising, more power to them.

There's a great new strategy in the works; they'll stop releasing movies. See, if anyone gets to see Harry Potter 6 then someone will pirate it. If they make the whole movie and then lock up the prints no one can ever pirate it. It's perfect!

Seriously though. Who the hell watches these handcam versions anyway? They're the shittiest presentation I've ever seen and I wouldn't sit all the way through one for any reason ever.

....wait. Maybe the download numbers are boosted by these cam-jobs. People download a copy of Spiderman, get a hand cam movie and go "This is shit," delete it and then download it again and again looking for a screener copy.

AlienCowThatMoos on
    SpidermanSig.jpg
  • Options
    JJJJ DailyStormer Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    The greater problem here is people.

If we say kill 30% percent of the population every 10 years we can drastically reduce crime.

JJ on
  • Options
    InvisibleInvisible Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I've watched two shaky cam rips before and later rented the movies on DVD because the picture quality was horrible, people would become blobs and it was generally just blurry, and the sound went from being in a frequency only a dog could hear to sounding like someone scratching a chalkboard.

Anyone who would watch cams as their sole source for movies was never, ever going to go to the theater to see it. Attacking this is utterly useless; they'd be much better off going after DVD pirates.

Invisible on
  • Options
    ZoolanderZoolander Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    They're just sending a message to the Canadian gvmt probably, I don't think they seriously think this is going to directly reduce piracy that much.

Zoolander on
  • Options
    HiredGunHiredGun Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I thought a lot of the crappy CAMs and TS's came from Asia?

No matter. This is a silly move that will have almost zero impact on film piracy, which (as far as I know, anyway) is increasingly interested mainly in high-quality screener or DVD rips.

HiredGun on
  • Options
    Robo BeatRobo Beat Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Meiz wrote: »
    Why just the other day, I asked someone for a smoke and when he said no, I told him to go fuck himself. As a result he gave me his whole pack.

Not to derail the thread too terribly much, but this seems like the attitude of every single bum and street person I encounter. Hell, I had one guy cuss me out because I wouldn't go to the cash machine and pull out $20 for him.

Really, though, I wonder if they honestly think this'll have any effect. From what I understand, most of these pirated copies that leak to the intarwebs come from critic screener DVDs, not from dudes with palmcorders under their coats. My money says this won't make a lick of difference, WB won't even notice that fact, and other studios will follow suit to the point of idiocy. Blind leading blind, etc.

Robo Beat on
    This is not the greatest sig in the world.
    This is just a tribute.
  • Options
    TiemlerTiemler Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    How is this not tagged "blamecanada" on Slashdot already?

Tiemler on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Robo Beat wrote: »
    Really, though, I wonder if they honestly think this'll have any effect. From what I understand, most of these pirated copies that leak to the intarwebs come from critic screener DVDs, not from dudes with palmcorders under their coats. My money says this won't make a lick of difference, WB won't even notice that fact, and other studios will follow suit to the point of idiocy. Blind leading blind, etc.
    Aaaand the Canadian government caved in yesterday, which is precisely what WB wanted out of this move.

Zoolander on
  • Options
    MeizMeiz Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Zoolander wrote: »
    Aaaand the Canadian government caved in yesterday, which is precisely what WB wanted out of this move.

Ah fuck.

GOD DAMMIT. This is only going to set precedence for other companies to pull product. This isn't good.

Edit: can I get a source for this?

Meiz on
  • Options
    B:LB:L I've done worse. Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Canada has a piracy problem, and I support any legislation against Canada no matter how frivolous, knee-jerk, or useless it is.

I hope it does set a precedence, because it's a good first step towards prevention. And it'll make things better here in America if the Canadian piracy flow is stopped.

B:L on
    10mvrci.png click for Anime chat
  • Options
    FrugusFrugus Photographer MontrealRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    B:L wrote: »
    Canada has a piracy problem, and I support any legislation against Canada no matter how frivolous, knee-jerk, or useless it is.

I hope it does set a precedence, because it's a good first step towards prevention. And it'll make things better here in America if the Canadian piracy flow is stopped.

O_o I'm still not sure if I should laugh or take this seriously.

Frugus on
    Frugus Eggbeater
    ufCl1ui.png
  • Options
    Page-Page- Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I was at Pacific Mall last Saturday and they had copies of Spiderman 3 for sale. They've also had 300 there since it came out and they play it on last plasma TVs. The thing is that though I don't really watch pirated movies, I have seen them around, and almost all of them seem to be DVD rips of some sort. The 300 they play is at least DVD quality, and I'm willing to bet that most of the others they sell are, too.

I haven't seen a shakey-cam movie in years. I think the problem is studio leaks, that they're just trying to put this off on Canada.

Page- on
    Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    Anyone want to beta read a paranormal mystery novella? Here's your chance.
    stream
  • Options
    ÆthelredÆthelred Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    As others have intimated, surely most people wait for the DVD rip to get their piracy on. DVD sales are what's really hurt by piracy, not cinema takings. If you're going to see a film at the cinema, you'll go even if it's pirated. They don't need to lecture us about the 'cinema experience', most people do appreciate it.

Æthelred on
    pokes: 1505 8032 8399
  • Options
    Torso BoyTorso Boy Registered User regular
    edited May 2007

Really?

Torso Boy on
  • Options
    edited May 2007

Ah fuck.

GOD DAMMIT. This is only going to set precedence for other companies to pull product. This isn't good.

Ottawa bows to Hollywood on camcording in theatres

Zoolander on
  • Options
    ZackSchillingZackSchilling Registered User regular
    edited May 2007

Here here!

ZackSchilling on
    ghost-robot.jpg
  • Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007

Here here!
    as we all know, green is the color of lies. And salmon. green and salmon.

Houk the Namebringer on
  • Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    edited May 2007

Ah fuck.

They only just recently made it a crime to record movies in theaters now? I would have thought that was pretty fucking obvious. What the hell were theaters doing before?

"Hey, that guy in the back row has a camcorder! What should we do?
    "Huh? It's not a crime dood. Let's go back to the concession and hit on the popcorn girl."

As a related bit, when I went to see Spiderman 3 opening night, just before it started, they had an employee come up and give a quick "Piracy is bad, mmmkay" speech. It was the first time I ever saw them do that. Mentioned that if anybody reported somebody recording, if charges were filed they would get free passes for a year. Also that they would be using night-vison shit and general checking to make sure nobody was recording. They even went so far as to say don't check your cell phones for the time, or even your watch if it had a light on it, as if they saw any random light, they'd be suspicious and check it out. Now THAT I though was a pretty bad kneejerk reaction. But no recording 'cuz it's a crime? Well no shit Sherlock.

The Wolfman on
    "The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I came into this thread expecting to read about agents of WB sneaking into canada before a movie to secretly show it to groups of people through methods of subterfuge, and how dare they try to push their mind destroying eye-drugs on the good state of Canada.
    Context context and a low opinion of Hollywood. :P

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007

Ah fuck.

That's not terribly that bad, actually. Ottawa's making something illegal that probably should have been even though like others have said, won't do a lick for preventing piracy since who the heck watches a movie from a cellphone cam/camcorder. What I would have been afraid of, is if Ottawa announced any sort of drastic draconian measures, since, this being a relatively minor issue, I wouldn't have been able to see the Liberals/NDP/Bloc bothering to try to bring down the government over, and thus would have passed easily. Now Ottawa will pat themselves for doing something against piracy, and promptly forget about this.

Aegis on
    We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • Options
    ArugulaZArugulaZ Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    The studios are just acting pissy because they couldn't bribe (whoops, I mean LOBBY!) enough senators to launch a nuclear strike at Canada.

It sure gives me a warm, fuzzy feeling inside knowing that some things are beyond the control of spoiled media monopolists like Sumner Redstone and billionaire tyrant Rupert Murdoch.

ArugulaZ on
    JR

Same old site, great new look! Check out The Gameroom Blitz at:
    http://www.lakupo.com/grblitz
  • Options
    AlienCowThatMoosAlienCowThatMoos Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    As much as I don't like the RIAA, they at least have a leg to stand on. Their business is getting destroyed by piracy. How the hell can the movie studios claim record profits every weekend (Spiderman 3 broke the all time record this weekend, how much you wanna bet Harry Potter and PotC will too?) while screaming about losing their profits to piracy at the same time?!

AlienCowThatMoos on
    SpidermanSig.jpg
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    As much as I don't like the RIAA, they at least have a leg to stand on. Their business is getting destroyed by piracy. How the hell can the movie studios claim record profits every weekend (Spiderman 3 broke the all time record this weekend, how much you wanna bet Harry Potter and PotC will too?) while screaming about losing their profits to piracy at the same time?!

They think they would be making a hojillion dollars at the box office without piracy. This is bullshit, but they aren't exactly bright.

Couscous on
  • Options
    SilpheedSilpheed Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    titmouse wrote: »

They think they would be making a hojillion dollars at the box office without piracy. This is bullshit, but they aren't exactly bright.
    Thinking has never been one of their strong sides...

Silpheed on
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Silpheed wrote: »
    titmouse wrote: »

Thinking has never been one of their strong sides...

They blamed piracy for the failure of the Hulk movie. Everybody else blamed the fact that the movie sucked.

Couscous on
  • Options
    Vicious_GSRVicious_GSR Dude Principality of ZeonRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I am sorry are they serious?

I was sure the U.S. would have a higher rate of piracy problems then Canada when it comes to advanced screenings?

(plus from my experience, people generally prefer to go see movies in theaters then watch a bad version online. I know people who actually watch pirated movies then buy them on DVD or go to the theater to watch them if they liked the movie.)

Edit:
    Just looked at the new '1 mill, five years in Jail' thing, that seems a little bit fucking extreme but I am all for a law against not filming in a theater. Shit man, five years? how about a few months {maybe} and a 10 thousand / 20 thousand dollar fine for covering the cost of the theater.

Vicious_GSR on
  • Options
    PheezerPheezer Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2007
    As much as I don't like the RIAA, they at least have a leg to stand on. Their business is getting destroyed by piracy.
    No it isn't. The so-called decline they keep trying to pin on piracy has a lot more to do with the fact that for over a decade they consistently used their cartel to push the retail price of a CD higher and higher, far faster than inflation would have allowed for. Oh, and then they'll cry that their 1Q07 sales are low, which is a terrible shame, except who actually released an album in 1Q07? We're looking at an industry whose sales are by a massive degree driven by new releases. New release sales constitute most of the sales any given album will ever make, except for really bizarre outliers like Dark Side of the Moon. You go ahead and get me that 1Q07 release list though, and we'll go line by line and try to find the albums they figured were supposed to sell like hotcakes.

The RIAA's problems come from poor business strategy and bad management practises. Piracy is a symptom of both. People still like physical copies and they still want them, but they're not going to jump through hoops and if you make it a pain in the ass for them to make a copy for their car or put it on their iPod, you're only going to alienate them further. And charging more for a CD than a DVD costs isn't going to play too well either, numbnuts.

Pheezer on
    IT'S GOT ME REACHING IN MY POCKET IT'S GOT ME FORKING OVER CASH
    CUZ THERE'S SOMETHING IN THE MIDDLE AND IT'S GIVING ME A RASH
  • Options
    capable heartcapable heart Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Camcordering a movie is now apparently more serious than some of the offenses that involve you killing somebody.

capable heart on
  • Options
    PheezerPheezer Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2007
    Edit:
    Just looked at the new '1 mill, five years in Jail' thing, that seems a little bit fucking extreme but I am all for a law against not filming in a theater. Shit man, five years? how about a few months {maybe} and a 10 thousand / 20 thousand dollar fine for covering the cost of the theater.

Better yet, why is movie theatre policy now enshrined in law? Who is being protected by this law? What makes it necessary?

If someone tapes something in a theatre, ban them for life, that's your right as a proprietor. Let the studios sue them for any distribution that occurs. Oh, what's that? They're far too fucking stupid to actually fight their own fights and they're leaning on local governments to scare consumers for them?

What a fucking shock.

Pheezer on
    IT'S GOT ME REACHING IN MY POCKET IT'S GOT ME FORKING OVER CASH
    CUZ THERE'S SOMETHING IN THE MIDDLE AND IT'S GIVING ME A RASH
  • Options
    Oddjob187Oddjob187 Pew TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Page- wrote: »
    I was at Pacific Mall last Saturday and they had copies of Spiderman 3 for sale. They've also had 300 there since it came out and they play it on last plasma TVs. The thing is that though I don't really watch pirated movies, I have seen them around, and almost all of them seem to be DVD rips of some sort. The 300 they play is at least DVD quality, and I'm willing to bet that most of the others they sell are, too.

I haven't seen a shakey-cam movie in years. I think the problem is studio leaks, that they're just trying to put this off on Canada.

See this is what big movie is crying about. Large scale pirate operations that run out of places like Pacific Mall. Banning screening in Canada doesn't help since these good first and second generation Asian folk don't get their copy's from Canada. Just check the sub title menu and you will see Thai, Cantonese, ect ect. Suits are to stupid to go that far though.

Hell RCMP have trounced that goram place a dozen times over and it never stops the shops from selling dvd's.

Oddjob187 on
  • Options
    Vicious_GSRVicious_GSR Dude Principality of ZeonRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Oddjob187 wrote: »
    See this is what big movie is crying about. Large scale pirate operations that run out of places like Pacific Mall. Banning screening in Canada doesn't help since these good first and second generation Asian folk don't get their copy's from Canada. Just check the sub title menu and you will see Thai, Cantonese, ect ect. Suits are to stupid to go that far though.

Hell RCMP have trounced that goram place a dozen times over and it never stops the shops from selling dvd's.

I went to a place in the Eaton center that had copies of Battle Royale 1&2 (I am sure they are illegal) but dear god did I ever want them! :(

Vicious_GSR on