As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Octopath Traveler for Nintendo Switch

• Options
    Mx. QuillMx. Quill I now prefer "Myr. Quill", actually... {They/Them}Registered User regular
    Enlong wrote: »
    I need to give Tressa all the speed accessories I can. Her acting first on a break turn with Donate BP is too good.
    There's a +80 Speed accessory you can purchase/steal off a person in Cobbleston.

• Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    Cyrus discerning a monster weakness on battle start is a godsend.

• Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    Between that and having so many different elemental spells Cyrus feels mandatory to have in your party

• Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    Does Alfyn just suck? Kinda feels like Alfyn just sucks

• Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    I dunno. He seems like a damn fine healer for a fraction of the normal cost of items.

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    I'm regretting starting with the thief.... I've barely put any time in... Should I start over?

• Options
    pyromaniac221pyromaniac221 this just might be an interestin YTRegistered User regular
    Having started with Ophelia (chosen at random in the demo and I got too far to want to start over), Alfyn feels pretty useless. Having an unswappable character with instant party-wide full heals and multi target damage spells means the guy with one weapon type and a janky crafting spell ability doesn't bring much to the table. His chapter 1 was also much less interesting than all of the others.

psn tooaware, friend code SW-4760-0062-3248 it me
  • Options
    DaebunzDaebunz Registered User regular
    my wayfarer's edition came in the mail this morning

it's very pretty

7yh4xczljsym.png
  • Options
    NorgothNorgoth cardiffRegistered User regular
    Enlong wrote: »
    I dunno. He seems like a damn fine healer for a fraction of the normal cost of items.

I had him heal the party for 1300 health and cleanse the poison from them all during his boss fight.

He’s the best healer by miles.

That’s ok though, because hannit has a Crit boost, and stat buffs last longer on Ophilla, which means once I start getting jobs, damage ophilla is a go.

• Options
    Mx. QuillMx. Quill I now prefer "Myr. Quill", actually... {They/Them}Registered User regular
    edited July 2018
    Seems pretty easy to find the Subjobs, I found 5 and have started messing around with them.

I got Tressa some bulky armor and the +500 HP passive from Apothecary, and now the plucky merchant girl is my party tank. I also put Thief onto H'annit since she burns through SP using Arrowstorm, so she can now heal her SP.

Mx. Quill on
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    I wish I could switch out my first character from the party.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    I'm regretting starting with the thief.... I've barely put any time in... Should I start over?

I honestly don’t think it matters.

One really big worry I’ve got having completed three intro chapters is that I don’t think the party members have spoken to each other aside from their recruitment dialogue yet.

• Options
    edited July 2018
    Or maybe start with Ophelia and go clockwise because their names imply that’s the OCTOPATH

rhylith on
  • Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    rhylith wrote: »
    Or maybe start with Ophelia and go clockwise because their names imply that’s the OCTOPATH

that's what I'm gonna do

when I'm done being a captain

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    edited July 2018
    WeedLordVegeta on
  • Options
    The battle system in this game seems like it’ll carry me through any narrative complaints I may have.

It’s good.

• Options
    Andy JoeAndy Joe We claim the land for the highlord! The AdirondacksRegistered User regular
    Tressa's mother is from the mystical, far-off land of Minnesota judging by her accent.

XBL: Stealth Crane PSN: ajpet12 3DS: 1160-9999-5810 NNID: StealthCrane Pokemon Scarlet Name: Carmen
  • Options
    BeastehBeasteh THAT WOULD NOT KILL DRACULARegistered User regular
    r1baw6kdqz911.jpg?width=973&height=548

game of the year all years

• Options
    I love that you can Inquire/Scrutinize the dogs.

• Options
    WhippyWhippy Moderator, Admin Emeritus Admin Emeritus
    My favorite is you can scrutinize children, like, way to dunk on that toddler, sherlock volcel

• Options
    PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    Ok yeah, Tressa is super rad. I feel like I have my party already with Hannit, Ophilia, Cyrus and her, but we'll see.

• Options
    BeastehBeasteh THAT WOULD NOT KILL DRACULARegistered User regular
    Nope that's pretty much the best party right there

• Options
    edited July 2018
    Weird that I'm not into Cyrus, I just gave Scholar to Primrose. I suppose it's probably the usefulness of Study Foe against Summon. I don't often find myself missing it since I have all the Subjobs now.

Mx. Quill on
  • Options
    SnowbearSnowbear Registered User regular
    If you have characters not in your active party, do they gain exp? How long do you all feel it takes to get them caught up level wise?

8EVmPzM.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    Snowbear wrote: »
    If you have characters not in your active party, do they gain exp? How long do you all feel it takes to get them caught up level wise?

No, they don't. They catch up fairly quickly, I spent about 40 minutes around one of the Chapter 2 towns and got Olberic and Alfyn from 9 and 10 to 15 and 16, and Therion from 14 to 18. My main party is 24-27, while Cyrus is still at 12.

Also, a neat thing about JP: it's just a pool of JP the characters have. You don't actually need to equip a Job to earn JP for it, you can just dump points into it immediately if you've got a stockpile.

Mx. Quill on
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Hmmm. I wish I'd gone with Tressa as my protagonist instead of Cyrus. I just got the six character though so I don't think it would be worth it to restart.

Opinions?

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    SCREECH OF THE FARGSCREECH OF THE FARG #1 PARROTHEAD margaritavilleRegistered User regular
    Why would you restart? You can have everyone and just put tressa up front if you wanna run around as her

gcum67ktu9e4.pngimg
  • Options
    It mostly comes down to who you don't mind being overleveled compared to the rest.

However:
    I've heard you can remove the character you chose first once you complete their story.

• Options
    EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    Started with the knight. So far it has been a very good call.

• Options
    Why would you restart? You can have everyone and just put tressa up front if you wanna run around as her

You can't until way later in the game.

• Options
    Hmmm. I wish I'd gone with Tressa as my protagonist instead of Cyrus. I just got the six character though so I don't think it would be worth it to restart.

Opinions?

Cyrus seems to have some of the highest damage, can hit 4 weaknesses easily, figures out weaknesses in new areas, and has an ability that grants all kinds of little bonuses. I wouldn't restart because of him. Just put tressa in your party.

• Options
    edited July 2018

Actually you can change the formation to have anyone else in the first slot and therefore be at the front of the marching order, you just can't swap out the first chosen from the overall party.

Mx. Quill on
  • Options

Actually you can change the formation to have anyone else in the first slot and therefore be at the front of the marching order, you just can't swap out the first chosen from the overall party.

Does changing the formation do anything?

• Options
    edited July 2018

Does changing the formation do anything?

Nope! There's no front/back row mechanic or anything. It does change the order of the Path Actions menu, but nothing else.

Mx. Quill on
  • Options
    Seattle ThreadSeattle Thread Registered User regular
    edited July 2018
    That sure is some Ye Olde Englisheth that H'aanit and company are sticking with, huh

Seattle Thread on
    kofz2amsvqm3.png
  • Options
    Yesth.

• Options
    This pokemon wolf archer dude I caught in the woods is crazy powerful!

• Options
    edited July 2018
    Wolf Archer lady, actually.

Edit: unless you mean a monster who is a wolf and also an Archer rather than H'annit.

Mx. Quill on
  • Options
    Seattle ThreadSeattle Thread Registered User regular
    Some of the mobs in hunterland are totally anthropomorphic wolves with bows

kofz2amsvqm3.png
  • Options
    I thought they were called Rat Ruffian or something like that.