As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Octopath Traveler for Nintendo Switch

• Options
    RainfallRainfall Registered User regular
    edited July 2018
    Maddoc wrote: »
    Yeah but it's not like you get beaten over the head with her weird localization in her combat voice lines

Also I think I might have just totally missed the travel banter things or something because I have yet to see any

They start showing up in Chapter 2 and onwards, they're very good, I basically live for H'annit and Ophilia's interactions now.

ALSO, big game mechanic secret for level 50+
    holy shiiiiiiit there's super shrines for super classes and you gotta kill super bosses to unlock the super classes and OH BOY I haven't managed that yet, the Archmagus shrine boss has like 170k hp D:

Rainfall on
  • Options
    TcheldorTcheldor Registered User regular
    Yeah but it's not like you get beaten over the head with her weird localization in her combat voice lines

Also I think I might have just totally missed the travel banter things or something because I have yet to see any

there's a little prompt in the top right that shows up sometimes, it can be a little easy to miss

Shows up during ch2-4s.

There are 3 man traveler banters that you can trigger in the inns sometimes.

League of Legends: Sorakanmyworld
    FFXIV: Tchel Fay
    Nintendo ID: Tortalius
    Steam: Tortalius
    Stream: twitch.tv/tortalius
  • Options
    StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    Fuck... The Keeper of the Flame boss from Ophelia's opening chapter was a God damn beast

Yeah, I tried Ophelia's path first in the demo and thought, "Man, if this is gonna be what the difficulty curve is like then I may not bother with the game."

Is it that rough all the time or was that just an anomaly?

IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    WhippyWhippy Moderator, Admin Emeritus Admin Emeritus
    I’d say anomaly. You chose one of the most non-offensive classes, soloing as a healer is always slow

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    It's the only fight I've had trouble with so far so I'm thinking more of an anomaly.

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Whippy wrote: »
    I’d say anomaly. You chose one of the most non-offensive classes, soloing as a healer is always slow

Her elemental attack isn't bad and the guards outside hit the boss's weakness though, so she can break it fast that way, at least.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    I started with Tressa and so far only a handful of bosses have killed me, and every time it's because I ignored the level recommendation

• Options
    NorgothNorgoth cardiffRegistered User regular
    Rainfall wrote: »

They start showing up in Chapter 2 and onwards, they're very good, I basically live for H'annit and Ophilia's interactions now.

ALSO, big game mechanic secret for level 50+
    holy shiiiiiiit there's super shrines for super classes and you gotta kill super bosses to unlock the super classes and OH BOY I haven't managed that yet, the Archmagus shrine boss has like 170k hp D:

I mentioned it in the other thread but there’s on in hannits chapter
    where they admit they find each other beautiful and agree to spend more time together.

It’s super cute and I ship them

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2018
    I'm not following any real pattern or guide. I'm just kind of going.

Right now I have Therion, H'annit, and Ophelia and I'm on my way to Cyrus next.

I'm a little concerned that leaves me very not beefy.

Raijin Quickfoot on
  • Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    H'aanit is fairly beefy and you have a strong healer. Plus, Therion can weaken enemy ATK.

• Options
    WyvernWyvern Registered User regular
    Wow, there's like zero information about damage formulas or skill multipliers for this game. I might have to do some experimentation on my own tonight. At least to the point where I can figure out how to get good damage out of Hunter skills (or pick a good subclass for it). True Shot in particular feels so weak that I think it might actually be worse than attacking normally.

Switch: SW-2431-2728-9604 || 3DS: 0817-4948-1650
  • Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    I think I'm gonna have a hard time choosing between H'annit when I get her and Olberic who I'm currently using.

I think I'm locking in Primrose, Therion, and Alfyn for my main team. Maybe Cyrus over Alfyn but Not-Mix is just gonna be stupid good once I have a stockpile of materials.

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options
    NorgothNorgoth cardiffRegistered User regular
    Wyvern wrote: »
    Wow, there's like zero information about damage formulas or skill multipliers for this game. I might have to do some experimentation on my own tonight. At least to the point where I can figure out how to get good damage out of Hunter skills (or pick a good subclass for it). True Shot in particular feels so weak that I think it might actually be worse than attacking normally.

I’m not 100% it’s the case but it feels like the critical star increases the chance and damage of crits.

• Options
    MaximumMaximum Registered User regular
    7/8 chapter 1's down, and I don't think I can ever leave Cyrus out of my party. His ability to uncover weaknesses is just too damn good.

• Options
    rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    Maximum wrote: »
    7/8 chapter 1's down, and I don't think I can ever leave Cyrus out of my party. His ability to uncover weaknesses is just too damn good.

You’ll get the ability to assign another character scholar pretty shortly, and bosses will start calling in their adds instead of having them there at the start.

He’s still very good but it becomes easier to leave him out soon.

• Options
    Mx. QuillMx. Quill I now prefer "Myr. Quill", actually... {They/Them}Registered User regular
    edited July 2018
    Yeah, I dropped Cyrus once I got the Scholar Subjob unlocked and put it on Primrose.

(Late-ish spoilers)
    I feel like Cyrus kinda decreases in usefulness once you can just give anyone the Sorcerer Subjob since it gets triple-hit spells of all 6 elements.

I'm looking at H'annit/Thief, Tressa/Runelord, Primrose/Starseer, and Ophilia/Sorcerer for my endgame setup. H'annit would be Warmaster instead, but I can't play a JRPG without being able to Steal from bosses and actively dislike Therion. Runelord's Transfer Rune with Tressa's Rest is a full party HP, SP, and status ailment heal, Primrose as a Starseer is all about them buffs, and Ophilia's got the second highest Elem. Attack in the game to put Sorcerer to use to Break opponents.

Mx. Quill on
  • Options
    The one party thing I don’t like is having to remember to swap to alfyn/olberic/therion every single time I go to town because that’s the optimum way to use the social skills.

• Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    Enlong wrote: »
    H'aanit is fairly beefy and you have a strong healer. Plus, Therion can weaken enemy ATK.

Plus plus it's pretty easy to pump evasion on Therion and count on him to dodge a good number of attacks

• Options
    PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    Armor Eaters can bite my Octo Pathing Ass. They're not hard, just tedious.

• Options
    Mx. QuillMx. Quill I now prefer "Myr. Quill", actually... {They/Them}Registered User regular
    The music transition from "protagonist's critical moment" theme to boss battle theme is *chef kiss*

• Options
    Capturing bosses for Hannit is such a fucking pain oh my god.
    But I got "The Devourer of Dreams", who does an instant death attack to all enemies so that's cool, shame he only has one use.

• Options
    TcheldorTcheldor Registered User regular
    Rainfall wrote: »
    Capturing bosses for Hannit is such a fucking pain oh my god.
    But I got "The Devourer of Dreams", who does an instant death attack to all enemies so that's cool, shame he only has one use.

You know you can boost for increased capture rate ya? I mean it can end up being a low rate still, but it helps.

Scholar is still useful even later on because Aelaphan's Enlightenment is nice, and having the ability to hit elemental weaknesses with multiple characters makes life real good.

League of Legends: Sorakanmyworld
    FFXIV: Tchel Fay
    Nintendo ID: Tortalius
    Steam: Tortalius
    Stream: twitch.tv/tortalius
  • Options
    So, one very useful monster you can capture that I need to go and grab again after using it up. Sea Birdian VI, from the Moonstruck Coast. Three bow attacks with high power, it's been my main option to just pour damage onto a target with H'aanit. Absolute monster while clearing out people's Ch 2.

The downside to H'aanit is that Provoke is beasts only. But beast summons are valuable (some of em, anyways) and so you really only want to use Linde if you can until they're broken. God help you if they aren't weak to spears or swords!

• Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    Polaritie wrote: »
    So, one very useful monster you can capture that I need to go and grab again after using it up. Sea Birdian VI, from the Moonstruck Coast. Three bow attacks with high power, it's been my main option to just pour damage onto a target with H'aanit. Absolute monster while clearing out people's Ch 2.

The downside to H'aanit is that Provoke is beasts only. But beast summons are valuable (some of em, anyways) and so you really only want to use Linde if you can until they're broken. God help you if they aren't weak to spears or swords!

You can still back out of the menu and use items with H'aanit. If you're loaded up enough, just throw stones at enemies for guaranteed elemental damage.

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    Cyrus as a Runemaster has worked out very well for me.

• Options
    milski wrote: »
    Polaritie wrote: »

You can still back out of the menu and use items with H'aanit. If you're loaded up enough, just throw stones at enemies for guaranteed elemental damage.

...yes, yes I am loaded up on those because I like stealing piles of em from elementals.

• Options
    Is it a fool's errand to make Ophelia an Apothacary for anything but the healing skills and Empoison? I'd love to axe stuff in the face with her, but her base ATK power is not doing her any favors, even with the job switch.

• Options
    RadiusRadius Registered User regular
    How can you even play a job system game without speccing characters completely out of their element.

Everyday we stray further from God's light
    Steam Switch FC: 2799-7909-4852
  • Options
    Good point!

Anyway, now she's smashing things with amputate for upwards of 1000 damage.

True, Olberic is Cross Striking stuff for nearly 3000, but it's a process.

Oh, and Olberic has Eye For An Eye. Duels are now way easier.

• Options

Banter spoilers
    Primrose’s ch 2 banter where she tells Tressa what brothels are was certainly a thing.

• Options
    Wish I had a list of who to bring to each chapter to get banter.

• Options
    Wish I had a list of who to bring to each chapter to get banter.

Everyone gets three banters per chapter, just depends on who you have with you.
    Ch1s have no banter.

• Options
    IvarIvar Oslo, NorwayRegistered User regular
    This reddit thread has some info on banter

• Options
    BeastehBeasteh THAT WOULD NOT KILL DRACULARegistered User regular
    DjIdQQ-UUAAi9RF.jpg%253Alarge?width=585&height=547

• Options
    Primrose advocating not attacking seems off to me.

• Options
    El FantasticoEl Fantastico Toronto, ONRegistered User regular
    Re: Banters - you only get banters for whoever is in your party at the time as you complete someone's chapter 2/3/4. You can always swap out your members at the pub to get the other banters because it'll prompt for the [+]. However, banters only pop up at specific times during the chapter. Like, once you start a new Tressa Chapter, your party won't suddenly have shit to say. You have to progress in the chapter and depending on who your current party members are, they'll pipe up. But if you finish the chapter and switch the crew at the pub, then the rest of the party will all have things to say.

PSN: TheArcadeBear
    Steam: TheArcadeBear

• Options
    PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    I'm not too worried about missing out on banter because I assume that somebody is going to upload an 'All Octopath Traveller Banter' video to Youtube at some point.

• Options
    edited July 2018
    Primrose advocating not attacking seems off to me.

Uh, not really? Random guards her preferred method is to just "charm" her way past.

Polaritie on
  • Options
    theSquidtheSquid Sydney, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    I think I'm gonna have a hard time choosing between H'annit when I get her and Olberic who I'm currently using.

I think I'm locking in Primrose, Therion, and Alfyn for my main team. Maybe Cyrus over Alfyn but Not-Mix is just gonna be stupid good once I have a stockpile of materials.

Early game it doesn't matter but h'aanit's monsters don't scale for late game provoke so I keep olberic on the bench when adventuring and bring him out when prowling the docks to beat the shit out of old ladies and injured soldiers so I can break into their homes