The return of the 80s part IV (Neo Synthwave Music)

manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?!Registered User regular
edited July 2018 in Singularity Engine++
So a random discussion in the Cyberpunk 2077 thread got much more entertaining after realizing Neo Synth was actually a full on subgenre. I'd go as far as to say its never been stronger.

It's been used in Stranger Things, Drive, and of course Hotline Miami with such groups as Carpenter Brut, M.O.O.N. and Perturbator.

And sometimes you get really, really cool music videos.

And yes this is a shameless attempt to find more good bands, you're welcome.

manwiththemachinegun on
ZonugalBahamutZEROKristmas KthulhuDouglasDangerSnicketysnickSolarvalhalla130Anzekaymanjidarunia106DisruptedCapitalistTynnan

• Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    I like synthwave but Spotify has decided it's ALL I like so it loads all my playlists with it every week

QRK7dOP.gif
    PSN: GrahamCR | Switch Friend Code: SW-7440-9863-2027
    manjimanwiththemachinegun
  • UrielUriel Registered User regular
    edited July 2018
    I like perturbator, carpenter brut, GosT, Daniel deluxe.

I can never have enough of this kinda music.

Uriel on
    manwiththemachinegunZonugalAuralynxDisruptedCapitalist
  • manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    I like synthwave but Spotify has decided it's ALL I like so it loads all my playlists with it every week

1st world problems. :P

Zonugal
    I decided a few months ago to start trying to learn to make my own synthwave musics.

I had to put it off a bit because we are still moving but I hope to buy a copy of FLstudio next year and really dive in more. I've got reaper and have messed with that a bit but having to make use of freeware softsynths while not impossible doesn't offer me a ton of flexibility to learn with.

The fucking DROP in this song rules

QRK7dOP.gif
    Zonugalmanwiththemachinegunhatedinamerica
  • ZonugalZonugal The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    Man, I fucking love Carpenter Brut and other Neo Synth.

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
    UrielmanwiththemachinegunhatedinamericaBahamutZEROTankHammer
    oh I can't believe I forgot about that music video.

Oh, my favorite synthwave music video

QRK7dOP.gif
    BahamutZEROjkylefultonSolarBrainleech
  • LuvTheMonkeyLuvTheMonkey High Sierra Serenade Registered User regular
    edited July 2018

Also, let's put some Com Truise in here

EDIT this is what I get for composing posts while playing Overwatch.

LuvTheMonkey on
    Molten variables hiss and roar. On my mind-forge, I hammer them into the greatsword Epistemology. Many are my foes this night.
    STEAM | GW2: Thalys
    BahamutZEROBillyIdle
    Worth making this thread just to discover there is an artist that goes by Com Truise. Because of course.

• hatedinamericahatedinamerica Registered User regular
    edited July 2018
    Can't have this thread without one of the pioneers of the genre, Zombie Zombie.

This is a loving tribute to The Thing done in stop-motion with g.i. joes, and it's easily one of my favorite things that exists.

The rest of this album is real good too. Used it in the background during an Escape From New York themed dnd session a while back and it was a lot of fun.

hatedinamerica on
    steam_sig.png
    BahamutZEROjkylefultonAuralynx
  • hatedinamericahatedinamerica Registered User regular
    Zonugal wrote: »
    Man, I fucking love Carpenter Brut and other Neo Synth.

Wow this rules. If I didn't know better I'd think this was directed by Panos Cosmatos for sure.

steam_sig.png
  • jgeisjgeis Registered User regular

Even though its not technically "new" material, I love this remix of Zanzibar Breeze.

• BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular

BahamutZERO
  • BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular

BahamutZEROmanwiththemachinegunGreasyKidsStuffChiselphane
  • Seattle ThreadSeattle Thread Registered User regular
    Check out the soundtrack from Beyond the Black Rainbow, an indie sci-fi/horror film from 2010 that's low on plot but high on visuals

• SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    Oh, my favorite synthwave music video

Yeah it's a fucking awesome video

• valhalla130valhalla130 13 Dark Shield Perceives the GodsRegistered User regular
    Ohmigod

I never knew this existed! Its like all the stuff from the early 80s that I heard and loved, but just missed out on. I started buying music in about 1984, after a lot of this style of music was disappearing. It was mostly relegated to movie soundtracks also.

Thanks for this thread. I'm listening to all this!

• schussschuss Registered User regular
    Another great source is the synthwave essentials guide on r/outrun
    https://i.redd.it/4aa6obfhpym01.jpg

GreasyKidsStuffvalhalla130
  • GreasyKidsStuffGreasyKidsStuff MOMMM! ROAST BEEF WANTS TO KISS GIRLS ON THE TITTIES!Registered User regular
    Arcis' EP "Waves" is one of my favourite short little synthwave releases

manwiththemachinegun
    This came up on Spotify a few weeks ago and it has been basically looping ever since

QRK7dOP.gif
    Solar
  • GreasyKidsStuffGreasyKidsStuff MOMMM! ROAST BEEF WANTS TO KISS GIRLS ON THE TITTIES!Registered User regular
    One thing I dislike more often than not in synthwave is the vocalists. I think I can count on one hand the songs with vocals that don't make me cringe.

That said, I like this one:

edited October 2018
    I also really get a kick out of the synthwave culture because I think it's ripe for some goofs:

edit: ALSO also, John Carpenter's stuff whips which makes sense because he's the guy who influenced half of these acts

GreasyKidsStuff on
  • AnzekayAnzekay Registered User regular
    edited October 2018
    If you like Synthwave and haven't played Hacknet, then you 110% should

In general Rémi Gallego/The Algorithm are really great

I've been on a big Synthwave high this year, which has been amusing appropriate since I started studying computer science in march, so Spotify now doesn't give me anything but Synthwave, and soundcloud well and truly knows what to feed me when I go poking about for little indie projects there

also The Megas, one of my favourite prog rock video game bands, released a Synthwave-y remix of one of their best tracks last week and it's real great

Anzekay on
  • BillyIdleBillyIdle What does "katana" mean? It means "Japanese sword."Registered User regular
    Just saw Com Truise last night, and he was incredible.

• manjimanji Registered User regular
    my personal favorite synthwave track:

i got to see both perturbator and carpenter brut live this year. CB were excellent, but to my mind perturbator is the absolute king.

Solar
  • ShortyShorty JUDGE BROSEF Registered User regular
    here is my favorite Com Truise track

BillyIdle
    This one is too short.

But very good.

manji wrote: »
    my personal favorite synthwave track:

i got to see both perturbator and carpenter brut live this year. CB were excellent, but to my mind perturbator is the absolute king.

I do love the synths in this, they're great

My favourite punchy synthwave track has to be Overdrive though

Just love it

GreasyKidsStuffBrainleechAuralynx

edit: ALSO also, John Carpenter's stuff whips which makes sense because he's the guy who influenced half of these acts

john carpenter has started touring in order to show these youths who is boss! i missed him last year which was a massive mistake on my part and checking my phone just now it seems i'm about to miss him a second time :x

edited October 2018
    Yeah, it was posted higher up. It was one of the first songs that got me into the genre. Edit: directed at Solar

GreasyKidsStuff on
    another favourite:

while i was watching the new Ghost in the Shell film I noticed that Batou's synthwave-mobile was an old Lotus Esprit with a few tweaks to the bodywork and some Knight Rider style retrofuturistic instruments. If I had the disposable income I would totally be bombing around in something similar now!

• AnzekayAnzekay Registered User regular
    Solar wrote: »
    My favourite punchy synthwave track has to be Overdrive though

Just love it

I love Overdrive but it recently got overtaken for me by Ace Attack's The Chase album

• Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    It kinda blows my mind how much this whole genre has blown up in the past year or two

I'm not complaining, mind you - it's just funky to see hot internet playlists with a heavy rotation of Com Truise and Lazerhawk stuff I was blasting in high school

• astrobstrdastrobstrd So full of mercy... Registered User regular
    From about a decade ago, but it is criminal that Sleepy Eyes of Death never got bigger.

Selling the Scream Podcast: https://anchor.fm/jeremy-donaldson
    Oh shit y'all
    New Magic Sword

QRK7dOP.gif
    darunia106ZonugalmanwiththemachinegunSirEtchwartsschuss
  • ZonugalZonugal The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    Yo @Grey Ghost, I saw you posted the one above but have you listened to the song they released November 11th?

I desperately need this new Magic Sword album to be released.

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
    edited December 2018
    I did see that one and just plain forgot to post it here
    Possibly because I'm still looping Reborn constantly and it just couldn't compete

Grey Ghost on
    QRK7dOP.gif