As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

It's Party Thyme in the [PLANTS] Thread!

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Darmak wrote: »
    Seeing those flowers in a picture and not having them in my hands so I can identify them properly is making me very agitated

Look, you don't have to taste every plant to identify it

maybe you don't but some of us are professionals, Linda

• Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    Anyone know anything about amaranth? Would I be able to grow it in Tucson, AZ or is it too hot here because it sucks? I love garnet amaranth and think it would be great by the front door.

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    Mix it with some armored carp and you'll only take a single heart of damage from a lynel attack

• Options
    bsjezzbsjezz Registered User regular
    i spent a good 45 minutes today finally hacking away at the dead growth on the bird of paradise plant in our back yard. it looks like i've done nothing much but the sheer biomass practically filled out 240L green waste bin. i'm not sure how this plant works but i'm hoping it'll promote some extra blooms... if not, at least i can see where the plant ends and the other bed begins now

6mXJ7ge.jpg

sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • Options
    Xaquin wrote: »
    Mix it with some armored carp and you'll only take a single heart of damage from a lynel attack

I already knew all that!

• Options
    JansonJanson Registered User regular
    Our biggest sunflower is now nearly 6ft tall. We have had a really cool and wet June/July so I am pleasantly surprised by how much they have grown. My coworkers have all been complaining about how their sunflowers haven’t done well this year.
    2019-07-14%2010.14.42.jpg

I’m not sure how old our hydrangeas are, but they are obviously well established! The one in the back yard is so laden with blooms that all the blooms have now sunk to the bottom and the top is looking pretty sparse! I don’t know if I should be trimming it yet?
    2019-07-14%2010.18.22.jpg
    The existing flower bed in the back must have something good in it because everything I have planted in it has grown wonderfully. That’s where all the mint and the bee balm is, as well as a fuchsia (that’s giant and has a ton of blooms) despite it being a little sunnier than recommended!
    2019-07-14%2010.17.14.jpg

• Options
    MadpoetMadpoet Registered User regular
    edited July 2019
    Due to the high gravel content of my yard, this is three days of digging and assembly:
    231wn5c5bq50.jpg
    But I'm ready to fill with dirt. I've got a ceramic soil amendment to help the clay, and I'm going to work some compost in as well, before topping up with good soil. I was thinking that leaving rocks/gravel 1-2 ft down would help drainage, but now I'm second guessing myself.

Also: Our meadow lawn finally has something beyond just yarrow flowers!
    tnj3vbrhcdxa.jpg

Madpoet on
  • Options
    cool but now you need another two planters on the other side of the path in just the right shapes so you have a blooming, green

LU SH

sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • Options
    mccartmccart Registered User regular
    yf5yIS9.jpg

My beets are doing pretty well this year, in previous years they barely grew roots at all. I think I should get 5-6 more next week.

Unfortunately something has killed most of my snow-peas again, I think it was a subterranean mammal or critter because there is no visible damage to the plants and they just up and died. I guess that's how gardening goes.

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    guys, I've been extremely rash. I bought basil.
    Historically this has not ended well for me. Well, to be accurate, it has not ended well for the basil. But there was a sale on potted basil at the supermarket, so ...

Pray for my poor doomed herb.

• Options
    NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    I've never been able to keep basil alive either

Godspeed

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    I asked my wife if we were harvesting our basil plants sustainably the other day.

She laughed at me and cut more basil from them.

• Options
    I have outdoor basil and it’s definitely my rattiest-looking plant, haha.

• Options
    Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    My basil plant is also fucked. Maybe too much sun? There is parsley in the same planter and it is thriving.

Everything else I planted is doing great. My tomato plants are out of control

• Options
    I've killed so much basil

• Options
    My parsley is huuuuge! What do I do with so much parsley?!

• Options
    NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    I'm so happy we've all had the same experiences with both basil and parsley

I love my plant support group

• Options
    Janson wrote: »

Chimichurri!

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular

Perhaps your Basil is faulty?

• Options

Walk into a crowded restaurant and start garnishing plates

• Options

Perhaps your Basil is faulty?

Boo. BOOOOOOOOOOOO.

• Options
    MadpoetMadpoet Registered User regular
    Dear Basil thread - how many basil plants does it take to make a jar of pesto? My local plant shop has purple basil in stock, and the thought of purple pesto has tickled me.

• Options
    For a whole jar you'd need quite a lot. At least enough leaves to fill a large mixing bowl.

• Options
    It's amazing how many basil plants you have to harvest just to make, like, a decent batch of spaghetti sauce.

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    Basil is an annual, so it isn't meant to live that long. Just in case anyone thinks they're killing it off when it only lasts a few months.

If you're only keeping it going for a week then yes, you're a murderer.

• Options
    EinzelEinzel Registered User regular
    We got a thick little basil for some swordfish dish my partner makes and then it was my job to try to keep it alive. 2.5 stalks are still upright and it's moved three times. I lost like 10 stalks the first week.

• Options
    edited July 2019

tabbouleh! i love parsley. you could dress it in lemon and chop up whatever else for a great salad. also pomegranate tabbouleh is 😘👌

on the topic of basil, i can never grow it but there are three massive bushes of greek basil - the perennial version - literally overspilling from a garden on my walk back from the shops. maybe taking enough for pesto would be crass... but a stem or two for pasta garnish? yoink

bsjezz on
    sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • Options
    Greek basil, huh? maybe that'll be more able to withstand my version of 'gardening'.

Also it's been two weeks since I planted my whatchamits so here's a progress photo (also includes new basil)

gquc8iuod9fx.jpg

the little fellow on the far right was being crowded in the left pot, so I transplanted it, and now it's a bit droopy :(. But it sent up a new shoot to grab the railing, so I'm hopeful it will perk up in a few days.

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    is that a gosh dang house door attached to a fence??

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    EinzelEinzel Registered User regular
    Gotta keep it profesh.

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    tynic wrote: »
    Greek basil, huh? maybe that'll be more able to withstand my version of 'gardening'.

Also it's been two weeks since I planted my whatchamits so here's a progress photo (also includes new basil)

[snip]

the little fellow on the far right was being crowded in the left pot, so I transplanted it, and now it's a bit droopy :(. But it sent up a new shoot to grab the railing, so I'm hopeful it will perk up in a few days.

Plants are always such drama babies about being transplanted.

• Options
    On a root system level it's basically like changing schools.

• Options
    For a lot of plants I believe it's the microflora disruption that upsets them more than the physical movement of the roots.

• Options
    My cosmos are blooming!

I must’ve forgotten they were hot pink or else I would not have planted them next to the hot pink snapdragons.

• Options
    My allotment is currently so densely covered in weeds I spend my whole time there nervous that the predator is going to get me. But on the upside my water lily has flowered.

It's so pink my phone camera cannot deal with it

t6wx2a272c17.jpg

• Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    I am slowly amassing a collection of succulents on my desk. The grow lights are pretty bright though, so I have to wear a ball cap when I'm playing computer games so they don't hurt my eyes
    MoY2LKR.jpg
    q4d6RVo.jpgw71xBQw.jpg

I'm still pretty new to keeping plants, so I hope I don't kill them.

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    KaplarKaplar On Google MapsRegistered User regular
    edited July 2019
    A storm killed the sunflowers under the squirrel feeder in our backyard. Not that we put any effort into them, but they were nice to see out of the window.

Kaplar on
  • Options
    They'll probably come back. Sunflowers are pernicious.

• Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular
    I went on holiday for a week and came back to this:

EE6Il0kh.jpg

For context, that mass of greenery in the middle is two squash plants in a 100x50cm planter that is against the wall at the back of the picture. They were more or less confined to that planter when I left.

They have swamped the herb garden and are encroaching on the sprouting broccoli in the raised bed closest to the camera. They've also twined themselves through the tomatoes in the left of the picture (at the back, there are taller potato plants in front of them)

I'd read that they sprawled, but damn

• Options
    One of my friends had a small pumpkin tendril growing in his garden. He went away for three months and when he came back it had eaten his bicycle.