It's Party Thyme in the [PLANTS] Thread!

• NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    I'm waiting for spring, too. I need to divide and repot my biggest plants, and I absolutely cannot do that in my kitchen sink like I can with the smaller ones. :razz:

Janson
  • QuidQuid I don't... what... hnnng Registered User regular
    I've got cilantro today. At this point I think all that's left is the catnip, jalapenos, and parsley.

• KamiroKamiro Registered User regular
    Oh yeah, I need to pick up some cilantro and parsley.

and maybe carrots? do carrots do well in partial sun?

They do best in sunny but will still grow in partial shade, just not as big.

I need to find some partial shade plants.

and by partial, I mean no sun after 2pm. unless maybe summer sun works a lot different?

• chrishallett83chrishallett83 A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Janson wrote: »
    Gaaaah I have so many plans and I need the weather to hurry up (and also more time/money)

- want to curve out the beds in my front yard more and edge them. I’d like to try my hand at roses and there’s a sunny spot I think would be perfect for them.
    - In the back yard I have garlic that’s growing well. I trimmed back the mint and lemon balm. My shady bed needs weeding and I need to fill it with more plants, probably more bleeding hearts and fuchsias.
    - My blueberry bushes have lots of buds. I only planted them last fall so the plan is to not let them grow berries this year so I end up with sweeter berries next year.
    - I pruned the raspberry bush to encourage it to branch more.
    - I dug out a new bed and scattered wildflower seeds and poppy seeds in it.
    - Wisteria is still doing excellent. My fig tree is still tiny but budding.
    - I’m getting an enormous cedar bed from my inlaws as well as 9 large bags of soil for it. Gonna be getting carrots and potatoes and also lots of tomato plants from my inlaws, too.
    - This weekend my MIL is picking up: Douglas aster, Indian plum, kinnikinnick, Salal and wild ginger from a nearby bare roots native plant sale and she’ll share with me.
    - I’m going to start a ton of zinnias and sunflowers indoors.

Roses are great, and they're tough as hell. If you decide you've pruned them completely wrong you can, for example, just cut the whole lot off near ground level and wait a while, and a new rose bush will grow from the little stump you left.

JansonDoodmannTynnanDonnicton
  • DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    Gaaaah I have so many plans and I need the weather to hurry up (and also more time/money)

- want to curve out the beds in my front yard more and edge them. I’d like to try my hand at roses and there’s a sunny spot I think would be perfect for them.
    - In the back yard I have garlic that’s growing well. I trimmed back the mint and lemon balm. My shady bed needs weeding and I need to fill it with more plants, probably more bleeding hearts and fuchsias.
    - My blueberry bushes have lots of buds. I only planted them last fall so the plan is to not let them grow berries this year so I end up with sweeter berries next year.
    - I’m getting an enormous cedar bed from my inlaws as well as 9 large bags of soil for it. Gonna be getting carrots and potatoes and also lots of tomato plants from my inlaws, too.
    - This weekend my MIL is picking up: Douglas aster, Indian plum, kinnikinnick, Salal and wild ginger from a nearby bare roots native plant sale and she’ll share with me.

Roses are great, and they're tough as hell. If you decide you've pruned them completely wrong you can, for example, just cut the whole lot off near ground level and wait a while, and a new rose bush will grow from the little stump you left.

Is there a "right" way to do rose pruning? I've mostly just heard the above but not like what you should be doing before you fuck it up.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    Torchlight | Steam | ART
  • chrishallett83chrishallett83 A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Doodmann wrote: »

Is there a "right" way to do rose pruning? I've mostly just heard the above but not like what you should be doing before you fuck it up.

Unless you're pruning it to a 'standard' shape (ball on a stick), you just want to keep it to a size you are comfortable with, prevent it from choking itself out and becoming a spindly sticky tangled mess, and ensure it flowers as much as possible to maximise the colour and scent you get from it. Always prune directly above a bud or minor branch that is growing in the direction you want (leaving excess past the bud or branch will result in a dead brown stick which is ugly and leads to that spindly sticky mess I mentioned before), and be sure to "dead-head" (cut off all the dead and dying flowers) your roses at least fortnightly (preferably weekly) during flowering season.

As an example, my parent's rose garden out the front of their house had become a horrible overgrown mess over the last few years after my Dad's stroke, and last month I went over there and absolutely hammered it. Fucking massacred every bush down to about a third of it's previous size and thinned them WAY out, to just a few major branches growing in the directions I wanted so that they could "bush up" again and flower as prolifically as they used to. I should have taken pictures before and after, because the difference was stark. However, this Spring and Summer they will grow very aggressively, and next Spring and Summer they will flower like they're on crack, and the garden will be back to it's previous splendour and state of easy care.

Kamiro wrote: »

and by partial, I mean no sun after 2pm. unless maybe summer sun works a lot different?

If they're getting sunlight from dawn until around 2:00 that's not bad.

• JansonJanson Registered User regular
    edited March 11
    I thought my shaded bed was fully-shaded until summer hit and it turns out it gets quite a bit of afternoon sun in the summer months!

Where do you live, Kamiro? I can tell you what’s grown well in my shaded beds but I’m in PNW so my recommendations may not work for your area.

Janson on
    Anyone know what this might be?

sp6R4Ph.jpg

Torchlight | Steam | ART
    It looks like a sunflower.

Which is also what my plant identifier app said!

Jedocwebguy20NightDragon
    That's what I thinking but it had multiple buds so I wasn't sure.

Heck yeah I'm going to replant all the seeds when it blossoms.

Torchlight | Steam | ART
    Sunflowers can definitely have multiple buds, especially shorter/dwarf varieties like that looks to be!

Doodmann
    Quid wrote: »
    Kamiro wrote: »

If they're getting sunlight from dawn until around 2:00 that's not bad.

Not quite dawn, since they're right next to a 6ft fence.
    I thought my shaded bed was fully-shaded until summer hit and it turns out it gets quite a bit of afternoon sun in the summer months!

Where do you live, Kamiro? I can tell you what’s grown well in my shaded beds but I’m in PNW so my recommendations may not work for your area.

I'm in the DC area.

• Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    I started going to my allotment yesterday after a long hiatus. Should have started earlier but the weather has been ultimate butts.

Got some onions, garlic and potatoes to put in first. Still haven't decided what else to get. I was supposed to be having surgery which would put me out of action for basically all of May and June so had planned not to put too much in, but chances are that's going to get postponed so now I don't know what to do.

chrishallett83JansonBahamutZERO
  • Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    I done some shopping

v5gae0dmwph3.jpg

Also found this little guy while weeding around the fuschia, growing from a small dead looking bit of pruned wood. I felt so impressed by its determination that I potted it up. A real role model for these challenging times.

mj8vhbm8g47s.jpg

Janson3clipseJedoctyniclonelyahavaLost SalientTynnanwebguy20L Ron Howardbowenchrishallett83CalicaAl_watDisruptedCapitalistBahamutZERO
    I done some more shopping.

Had an attempt at an alpine display. The little conifer has been in a small pot since last summer and has spent most of the winter on its side, so I thought I'd treat it to a new home.
    r0vce5lspgr2.jpg

And did a pot to hopefully produce some spring colour. Tulips, Scilla campanulata, and violas.
    fbfnfcoy20li.jpg

Also dug out a Calluna (heather) and Pieris from the border and replaced them with a Dryopteris fern. I've wanted to get rid of those 2 for ages because they always looked sickly, I don't think they liked the soil. And I love ferns.
    17ip41bfswt6.jpg

Everything always looks so crummy when it's first planted.

3clipseJedocTynnanXaquinJansonwebguy20L Ron Howardlonelyahavabowenchrishallett83CalicaAl_watSkeithDisruptedCapitalistBahamutZERO
    My smallish potted lime tree has like 100 little flower blooms all over it. I figure its too young to give me any real limes, so how aggressively should I be pruning it down?

Torchlight | Steam | ART
    Doodmann wrote: »
    My smallish potted lime tree has like 100 little flower blooms all over it. I figure its too young to give me any real limes, so how aggressively should I be pruning it down?

Ideally you want to prune PRIOR to flowering. Here: https://www.pipmagazine.com.au/grow/pruning-citrus/

Doodmann
  • japanjapan Registered User regular
    Prepping for the growing season right now. This year it's all about the pest prevention.

After last year I have some polytunnel hoops - going to try some of the stuff that just grew weakly last year in a tunnel, and I'm going to put mesh over the brassicas to reduce the caterpillars.

I've got a couple of plastic greenhouses and a cold frame. The greenhouses are going up on legs treated with anti-climb paint to stop the slugs climbing the plastic, similarly I've built some staging for the cold frame that is getting the same treatment. Might put pellets down in the areas that I know the dog can't get at them.

Got a few seeds in the propagator, trying a couple of things outside (radishes, hardy lettuce, mustard leaves) but it might still be too cold. Anything even remotely delicate will need longer indoors/under cover.

In order to limit trips out to my allotment, and to further my quest to slowly take over my brother's garden, I bought a cold frame to have at home for seedlings.

ez0ysgcwtwzp.jpg

Mostly summer bedding plants, but the seeds include butternut squash, peppers, and tomatoes.

JedocL Ron Howardchrishallett833clipsewebguy20lonelyahavaDoodmannXaquinDonnictonJansonAl_watbowenN1tSt4lkertynicCalica
  • webguy20webguy20 I Spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    edited March 29
    So my wife works for a food bank, and they partner with a local non-profit garden (that teaches kids how to garden) to do two big plant sales each year, spring and summer plants respectively. Its a huge weekend long gathering each time and raises a ton of money for the food bank and for the garden program. This year with the whole pandemic thing going on they are scrambling to set up an online ordering portal where people can put in their orders and pay, then do a drive through pickup.

I know people won't be happy they won't get to pick out their own plants, but all the plants are always in great shape, and this is the only way to do it. It will be real nice to grow our own produce this summer. I actually need to get my root vegetable seeds going here soon. We should be past the last frost here in a week or two.

webguy20 on
    Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
    Janson
  • lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    edited March 29
    bah humbug.

Ok so my plants are growing crazy.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/uSgwaXSXEUG2Bs2c8

lonelyahava on
    Calica
    Anyone know how I get my plumaria to branch? I'm scared to cut it's head off.

0dSxrcQl.jpg

Torchlight | Steam | ART
  • DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    I keep meaning to ask about this but I always forget. This is from last season, it just kind of appeared in a previously unremarkable patch of ground in the backyard and shot up about a meter in a couple weeks. I probably wouldn't have paid any attention if it weren't for how tall it grew in such a short time frame, and the fact that bugs seemed to love it because they devoured the hell out of it not long after(you can already see signs of them working it). Does it look familiar to anyone?
    OY4PeQ4.jpg

My plant app says it’s a Tree of Heaven/Stink Tree and google results certainly look like that!

Donnicton
  • JedocJedoc Take a look. It's in a book. It was always in a book, you fool.Registered User regular
    Sounds like some really conflicted branding going on there.

GDdCWMm.jpg
    Doodmannwebguy20DonnictonBahamutZEROBrovid Hasselsmof3clipseN1tSt4lkertynicCalicasee317
  • DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular

Found this, turned out to be pretty useful. Looks like that's what it is, and if(seems more like when) it shows up again I'll want to kill it or at least keep uprooting it (or shade it out). I have two ancient cherry trees and a young mulberry back there and I don't care for the idea of this thing coming in and competing them out.

Janson
    Jedoc wrote: »

Maybe heaven is stinky? How would we know?

Jedoctynic
  • DidgeridooDidgeridoo Registered User regular
    Squirrels have stolen all my sweet pea seeds.

THIS IS WAR

Switch Friend Code: SW-0999-1072-9696
  • JedocJedoc Take a look. It's in a book. It was always in a book, you fool.Registered User regular
    Jedoc wrote: »

Maybe heaven is stinky? How would we know?

It's been a while since I was at a Christian university, but I do remember we sang a lot of hymns about trumps sounding.

So...theologically plausible.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • L Ron HowardL Ron Howard Registered User regular
    Donnicton wrote: »
    I keep meaning to ask about this but I always forget. This is from last season, it just kind of appeared in a previously unremarkable patch of ground in the backyard and shot up about a meter in a couple weeks. I probably wouldn't have paid any attention if it weren't for how tall it grew in such a short time frame, and the fact that bugs seemed to love it because they devoured the hell out of it not long after(you can already see signs of them working it). Does it look familiar to anyone?
    [img]https://i. imgur.com/OY4PeQ4.jpg[/img]

We get those here in Minnesota. They're essentially weeds. Very woody weeds, but still weeds nonetheless.

• PeasPeas Registered User regular
    How to grow tomatoes, p. 1: Preparing and planting 13:16

5myiokloks5d.png
    webguy20bowenDidgeridoo
  • DidgeridooDidgeridoo Registered User regular
    I am currently attempting to propagate some pothos cuttings from my crested gecko enclosure because I want to start some hanging potted plants for my walls. God speed, little vining plants.

Switch Friend Code: SW-0999-1072-9696
  • IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    So like a month ago a bought a purple onion from the store and it started to sprout, which I've never had a store bought onion do:
    wadr0guvag62.png

Chat said plant it, and now I have an onion friend:
    5mt2tsgt0bbt.png

Question: can eat the greens like big chives? They smell like big chives.

3clipseJedocbowenCalicaTynnanJansonSkeithmrpakusponoL Ron HowardlonelyahavaAl_wat
  • 3clipse3clipse I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    You can eat anything once!

XaquinDoodmannJansonsponoL Ron HowardMunkus Beaver
  • IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    forbidden chives

• bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    @Iruka I'm fairly positive 100% of the onion plant is edible

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
    CalicaIruka
    Except for the swim bladder, that's deadly poisonous

Xaquin3clipsebowenTynnanmrpakutynicSporkAndrewBahamutZERO